Thread: this enneagram type 8 guy

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default this enneagram type 8 guy

i remember this video being posted somewhere in the delta quadra subforum with the suggestion that he might be LSE. (i can't find it now or remember who posted it, though.)

i like LSE for him. any other opinions?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

my threads in this subforum never seem to gain any traction. is it because i sometimes post about people without enough information about them or something? i wouldn't think that would be an issue since the VI threads don't have problems.

come on, people! throw a wild guess out there please?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a total dick in that interview. Fe/Ti quadra, maybe ESE, or some beta extrovert. I don't see LSE.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IDK
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with parkster in that he's not LSE. He sort of VI's intuitive to me. Could LIE be an option?
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Sounds like a total dick in that interview. Fe/Ti quadra, maybe ESE, or some beta extrovert. I don't see LSE.
    i get a pretty strong Ej impression from him, so i have trouble seeing SLE as far as beta extroverts go (although the thing he says about acting rashly on too little information could point to decisive and Ni DS, maybe).

anything in particular make you see Fe/Ti, or is that just a visceral impression?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I agree with parkster in that he's not LSE. He sort of VI's intuitive to me. Could LIE be an option?
    sure. i was considering that, too.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a total dick in that interview.
    that was what i was rather thinking as well. i would probably avoid someone like him irl. when he was saying he likes to have fun and joke around and lighten the mood and raise people up etc. i found myself wondering if he was just trying to be that way... i don't know... i might unlearn those things if i was him (things like "it's not all about me these days--i try to make it about others and put them up on pedistols"). to that i was wondering what if they don't react well to being put up on a pedistol, does your controlling side suddenly rear its ugly head (whether one is lightening the mood or not, if they expect everyone to act according to the new lightened mood, then they're still being controlling)? i just felt that the controllingness was there under the surface just waiting to emerge and none of these self-improvement strategies have touched it at all (and unfortunately they're often based on accepting that one is a horrible person who must re-shape themselves through their behavior into something more easy to approve of--which i think is often just damaging). i mean if one finds themselves wanting to control everyone and everything... then learning to let go is the only way... examining why one wants to control so much and trying to just let it go. i'm sure it's easier said than done.

/rude subjectivity to random guy on youtube... anyway this is all just horrible... this is why it's wise to keep one's subjective impressions and presumptions to themselves generally because so much gets drawn off of just a few minutes of video just automatically and unfiltered... i think it's often unfair and flat out inaccurate and mis-representative.

anyway, he didn't strike me as an LSE (but i think that my concept of that type may well be incomplete). i think i could buy him as an E8.

i generally find myself thinking of a lot of the people who seem to focus on acting a certain way in work environments (that whole build people up, and i can't get anywhere in "the company" if i don't adjust myself to the PC attitudes and behaviors that everyone is "supposed" to exhibit thereby turning myself into a salesperson) as more Fe focused... but i could just be wrong about that, or simplifying it all too much. i guess the way i think of it is that some people naturally build others up (and do it well, perhaps without even intending to) whereas other people just aren't like that... and if one isn't like that, there's no point in turning oneself into a counterfeit of it (although everyone does have something to offer in the way of "helping others" it's just different with every person... and some people don't even care about what it is, and they shouldn't have to if they don't want to).

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    i generally find myself thinking of a lot of the people who seem to focus on acting a certain way in work environments (that whole build people up, and i can't get anywhere in "the company" if i don't adjust myself to the PC attitudes and behaviors that everyone is "supposed" to exhibit thereby turning myself into a salesperson) as more Fe focused...
    ya. and i really don't like that sort of thing. i can see where the Fe thing is coming from then.

i think when i watched the video i saw it as him talking about himself through the prism of this is what is supposed to be said in a self-help enneagram video, which caused me to maybe not take him at his word enough or something, if that makes sense. like its all kind uplifty and...idk. maybe i took that for granted too much.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems kind of like a dolt who just learned how to be introspective and aware of others. I don't know what to say of him, he's being all 'enlightened' sensitive.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    ya. and i really don't like that sort of thing. i can see where the Fe thing is coming from then.
    i mean to be fair, it is the sort of corporate culture...

i think when i watched the video i saw it as him talking about himself through the prism of this is what is supposed to be said in a self-help enneagram video
    yes, and i don't know all the context behind it

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    He seemed totally fine to me. Confused why people are having negative reactions to him.
    yes, it's all really unfair, i'm sure. i just kept seeing a fuse inching to go off in my head, and it's unfair just because i don't know that... i just felt like it was waiting.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I'm going with Ni-EIE. Enneagram is questionable as well. He almost seems like a 3.

anything in particular make you see Fe/Ti, or is that just a visceral impression?
    It's an impression. But basically, he appears too self-centered and Fi-oblivious/ignoring for an LSE, which to me seems much more reminiscent of Fe extroverts.

i think when i watched the video i saw it as him talking about himself through the prism of this is what is supposed to be said in a self-help enneagram video, which caused me to maybe not take him at his word enough or something, if that makes sense. like its all kind uplifty and...idk. maybe i took that for granted too much.
    You're disappointing me. Is this how you imagine your dual to look like? Like this guy? Even if we typed him LSE, he's still all fake and shit.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Not sure whether he's LIE or LSE, but he's def. one of the two. Very EJ and >. I might lean LIE, but not sure atm.
    sweet, thanks. since there seems to be a divide between whether he's Fe or Te, is there anything that stands out to you that you could use to illustrate the latter?

People on this forum are so weird lol.
    everybody except...? you? :wink:

You're disappointing me. Is this how you imagine your dual to look like? Like this guy? Even if we typed him LSE, he's still all fake and shit.
    ahh, disappointment? capacity for dissapointment = expectations.

this guy isn't like anybody i've met irl, including any LSEs. the LSEs i've known irl have been primarily female Si subs, and i've adored them, and i don't really have a sense of, um, !!! towards this guy. though i don't think he's really so bad. i'm trying to get a sense for other flavors of LSE that i might not have actually seen yet so i can get broader sense of what "LSE" means.

i'm still not convinced of Fe/Ti, but i could see LIE, though.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seemed totally fine to me. Confused why people are having negative reactions to him.
    lol I know, he seems like someone I'd enjoy being around.

I'd probably say ENTj too.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why anyone would get a certain impression of this guy's type from just one short interview. But I can see ESTj or ENTj.

Creepy-male

Large Post
    Interesting... I kind of see what you mean after watching it, the guy has a very forceful kind of energy, like he is prompting the person he is talking to respond and agree with him. Its almost like he has little self-confidence in what he is actually saying about himself, like he needs a lot of external validation and its almost like if he doesn't get that one could imagine an aggressive response. Seems like a typical 8, he knows it too, but he's probably not intrapersonally intelligent enough to remedy it. He just kind of has this philosophy of control at a deeper embedded level, control with professionalism, the executive e8 strategy, and not control with physical force or emotional expression.

Yea all enneagram videos are like this. I don't like it either. I do however think the guy is an 8 with a 3 feeling center (needs external validation), probably a 6 for the head type, isn't insightful enough to have any 5 and isn't relaxed enough to be 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    He seems kind of like a dolt who just learned how to be introspective and aware of others. I don't know what to say of him, he's being all 'enlightened' sensitive.
    Lol that reminded me of this

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on purely subjective impression, I have a hard time seeing him as LSE. His is clear. But simply from the quality of how he moves his head as he speaks, he doesn't strike me as LSE. I have seen an LIE move somewhat this way--slightly more expressive with quick, fluid directional changes.

Also, his eyes. LSE eyes to me seem not totally different but somehow more fixed, like the focus is on a still point that to me is sort of invisible because I don't really understand how the LSE thinks. This man's eyes just move around more, and by looking at them as he speaks I can sort of follow the nature and pace of his thought process more easily than I could an LSE's.

Although I hate to generalize about LSEs, it seems like the stuff the guy is saying about not wanting to act on "fractional information" is not quite right for LSE. I mean, LSEs can act on fractional information, in my experience. Like, "I know X. If I do Y, Z will happen. Then that task will be taken to a different step, if not resolved, and I will look at this other task." It's like chains of logical, practical actions advanced on multiple fronts, without knowing the big picture or even needing to.

And this guy's open, public reflection on being embarrassed over some of his past behavior is sort of anathema to LSEs I have known. To me, these two things--wanting to have a sense of the whole situation, and reaching for a sense of self evolving over time and knowing how to correct the self on that basis--could be a form of in action. Not weak Ni, but Ni deployed as a strength.

I was thinking that some LSEs would react like Ryu did when he said:

So anyway, I also would lean toward LIE for this man > LSE.

I also don't really understand the negative reactions to him. I'm not sure I could work closely with a person like this day after day, but he seems pretty honest, self-aware, and well-intentioned.
    Last edited by golden; 12-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Although I hate to generalize about LSEs, it seems like the stuff the guy is saying about not wanting to act on "fractional information"
    although he said that he has a tendency to act on fractional information, as though leaping into action on not enough info and then finding that he went down the sort of wrong path because he didn't wait to get a clearer picture before acting (or that was my interpretation). I found this part interesting but I can see too many ways to try to apply it, and by itself it really doesn't mean much (not w/o a context).

Also I don't see how "his Te is clear."

Quote Originally Posted by HLD
    Interesting... I kind of see what you mean after watching it, the guy has a very forceful kind of energy, like he is prompting the person he is talking to respond and agree with him. Its almost like he has little self-confidence in what he is actually saying about himself, like he needs a lot of external validation and its almost like if he doesn't get that one could imagine an aggressive response. Seems like a typical 8, he knows it too, but he's probably not intrapersonally intelligent enough to remedy it. He just kind of has this philosophy of control at a deeper embedded level, control with professionalism, the executive e8 strategy, and not control with physical force or emotional expression.
    I don't know if I see him as having a forceful kind of energy, but maybe I was picking up on something about "prompting the person he is talking to to respond and agree with him" as well as the need for external validation... i think i can see that there. I don't know however if that's just because of the way the interview was set up with to begin with... i mean since it's an enneagram "discussion" the two of them have to agree so that the people watching it don't think it's BS-ish (they have to agree about what an Eight is, that he is an Eight and that what he's talking about is indeed Eight-ish). I mean when he kept emphasizing control I didn't know if that was just because he knows he's suppsed to as a supposed Eight (control being a major Eight buzz word).

But actually maybe that really is it... that feeling that you have to respond to him in a certain way that is either along the same feeling or in agreement... so when it got to the part about how he's learned to not be the center of attention so much himself and put other people up on pedistols i was wondering if that means you have to respond to this in a certain way (or if he expects you to) and then what would be his reaction if you don't respond at all because then his efforts to put others into the limelight will have failed since said other person didn't react the way he expected or seem to appreciate it and so what then would be his reaction... so maybe that's where i'm getting the feeling of underlying "controllingness" that I'm wary of is this just wariness that he would do something or prompt something and then the hypothetical "I" would be expected to respond to it in some way he's after which I very well might not do at all and might not appreciate being pushed into the limelight and I can't act as though I do just because someone else needs me to to validate themselves. So it's more that I would feel that I wanted to avoid him simply because I don't like the whole feeling prompted to respond a certain way or react a certain way or give constant cheerful encouragement or agreement... it feels threatening to me. this though still feels slightly seperate from the feeling of there being "underlying aggression lurking in wait" which could just be me being paranoid, but anyway.

but i think the root fear is more about when he says stuff like "because control is a big deal to 8s" or whatever and seems to direct this to the interviewer in this *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink* way where the interviewer is supposed to respond with some expression of agreement like "absolutely!"... such things often feel threatening to me and I just want to leave instead. however in certain contexts that could be more fitting like if you're acting on stage and someone else is prompting you to play your part (and since this was an interview, perhaps it's more isolated to just that).
    Last edited by inumbra; 12-08-2010 at 11:24 AM.

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

although he said that he has a tendency to act on fractional information, as though leaping into action on not enough info and then finding that he went down the sort of wrong path because he didn't wait to get a clearer picture before acting (or that was my interpretation). I found this part interesting but I can see too many ways to try to apply it, and by itself it really doesn't mean much (not w/o a context).

Also I don't see how "his Te is clear."
    Points taken. I'll reflect on this.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ HLD: i added onto my last post as i think you might be "onto something"

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was the one who posted that video some time back in Delta.

Agree w/ the E8 typing—can recognize shared sentiments, especially the part about consensus-driven culture being a pain in the ass, and the acting hastily on fractional information thing.

Not sure whether he's LIE or LSE, but he's def. one of the two. Very EJ and >. I might lean LIE, but not sure atm.
    Same here, but I automatically thought of LSE E8. I would be surprised if he isn't.

TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IME, LSEs typically have a more difficult time acting on fractional information than LIEs do, since the latter tends to be more accepting of situational uncertainty (/ valuing). Naturally, any E8 will normally rely on their gut impulses when assessing a situation and be prone to act decisively towards it's resolution (which to others might appear as "hasty"). But comparatively speaking, an ESXj would still tend to be more patient about exploring the details or possibilities of a given situation, whereas an ENXj would be more inclined to surmise that they 'know enough' about how it's generally going to pan out and are usually less mindful of alternate outcomes.

So yeah, his admitted tendency to act on fractional information would fit LIE>LSE.
    Hm. Let me put it this way. And of course, this is only my own experience, too. LSE will try to act on more than fractional information--you are correct in that regard, I think. They will try to come up with systemic plans. But since I'm all about Ni, and because I also am into the need for diplomacy and "the human touch," I see the things LSE is missing, so to me it always looks like they are acting on fractional info. Does that make sense?

And of course, to them it looks like I'm not doing much of anything. Even if I spend three hours going around and trying to make people feel better about whatever new strict, functional, but somehow unfriendly plan the LSE has implemented.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

oh man theres so much i want to specifically reply to in this thread but all that quoting and formatting is too much of a pain in the ass on my phone.

after all this input, i am inclined to think LIE. thanks you guys for responding even though there wasnt much to go on.

ashton's text about LIEs being more likely to act on fractional information explains to me why something seemed "off" to me in terms of an LSE typing when the guy said that. one of the things that made it difficult to work with my old EIE boss was my tendency to give tons of information and offer various contingency kind of infos which seemed to piss him off, but i just couldnt help myself lol...i can see this being related to decisiveness/Ne devaluation. (although this probably isnt a *proof* of decisiveness considering the E8 thing, but still.)

lobo, i thought it was you. i just couldnt remember for SURE, and i would feel silly citing the wrong person, lol. thanks.

i might respond more specifically to more of you later.

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I'm going with Ni-EIE. Enneagram is questionable as well. He almost seems like a 3.

It's an impression. But basically, he appears too self-centered and Fi-oblivious/ignoring for an LSE, which to me seems much more reminiscent of Fe extroverts.
    ? He's being asked to talk about himself, methinks.

I think you basically have to ignore a lot of what he says, since it's all caught up in ennea-terminology. A lot of the 8 description just sounds like leading, but he's probably LSE or LIE. If his self-description is accurate, I might consider SLE.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think he's LIE > LSE, agree with Ashton.

I choose Ni ego as he speaks in a way of having a mental image of the direction he's taking, rather than a reflection of subjective sensation of his environment while working.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think he's lying. I think he's a sensitive emo fag that is saying he's decisive to fit in with society. It sounds like a job interview which always feel so uberly FAKE to me which is why I refuse to participate in them... I mean I'm not seeing how he's a tough guy. He's like so bottom-y in a way.

I mean come on. Like you're going to tell an interviewer or some fake professional bitch 'I watch xena every night and I cry when other males hurt my feelings.' But imo that would be awesome if somebody actually said that in public because it would drive americans nuts. Something is so strong about sensitivity because of how awkward it makes people feel. I think that's real and interesting.

Also I think he has rapist fantasies about women and he wants to dominate them but just can't.

I've met 5 year old girls who were more dominant and decisive and assertive than this mama boy is.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this odd.
    I liked the guy and he does not appear fake to me at all - I could definitely get along with him.