Thread: Do any enneagram type 6s NOT prepare for worst case scenarios?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do any enneagram type 6s NOT prepare for worst case scenarios?

If so, what makes them 6s?

I relate to some of 6-ness, but preparing for the worst and constantly feeling anxious are not part of it.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, preparing for worst case scenarios isn't a direct part of what a six is, so I'm sure there are some.

A 6 is a 6 because they are at a loss of personal guidance, and they need to rely on something outside of themself for that guidance. They are self-conflicting because because they are very mistrustful while at the same time very much in need of something to trust in. From their point of view, they feel anxious and cautious because they are unsure about what could happen. Unless they have become very familiar with something (and feel that they can trust it), they begin to believe that the worst case scenario is likely, which is why they often prepare for it. Unhealthy sixes are very paranoid as they feel they can't trust anything or be sure of anything. They are the ones most likely to prepare for the worst case scenario no matter how unlikely it may objectively be. They may either work hard to fight against their fears of percieved dangers (counter-phobic) or become too reliant others and attempt to hide from them (phobic). All sixes struggle with needing something to depend on and simultaneously not wanting to be too dependent. Healthy sixes are balanced between being able to rely on others and relying on themselves, and they become a pilar of strength and reliability for others. Healthy sixes are often the best of friends.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, 6w5s are more internal and distrustful of the outside world and tend to be cold and skeptical, while 6w7s are more reliant on others for guidance and tend to be more friendly and self-doubting.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's basically my argument. Difficulty with inner guidance fits me well.

I have such a strong 5ish influence and such a weak 7ish influence that I really couldn't consider 6w7. I attribute my non-distrustful nature to my 9 gut fix (though I do often distrust other people's judgments).

I suppose I'm looking for more confirmation, and 6s I can relate to.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Also, 6w5s are more internal and distrustful of the outside world and tend to be cold and skeptical, while 6w7s are more reliant on others for guidance and tend to be more friendly and self-doubting.
    Being this way with a coworker recently bit me in the butt. She is twisting things about me and spreading false rumors!!! I should have been more 6w5-ish with her (I'm going to be now...).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and to answer the OP, I do prepare for worst case scenarios, whenever some important/stressful/precarious situation is looming. Even just thinking of what the worse case would be is comforting to me sometimes, because if it's not that bad or if it's salvageable it takes some of the pressure off. If worst case is potentially devastating, thinking about it ahead of time at least gives me some prep time to try to avoid it as best I can.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCraven View Post
    Difficulty with inner guidance fits me well.
    yeah if you really relate to that then you're probably a 6 or at least a 6-fixer.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Works for me.

I can definitely identify with the lack of inner guidance. I find that I can habitually ask people for advice even when I already know what I want to do, kind of as a way of confirming that what I want to do is the right way to go. I'm sure this frustrates people a lot: "why would you ask my opinion if you aren't gonna take it into consideration?"

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah if you really relate to that then you're probably a 6 or at least a 6-fixer.
    Or 6 winger.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or 6 winger.
    eh.. unlikely, possibly 7w6.

There's a big difference between a 6 fixation and a 6 wing, and 5s aren't typically at a loss of inner guidance, the opposite actually.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eh.. unlikely, possibly 7w6.

There's a big difference between a 6 fixation and a 6 wing, and 5s aren't typically at a loss of inner guidance, the opposite actually.
    They probably just wouldn't show it. Or maybe we have different conceptions of what it means to have difficulty with inner guidance. I see it as an inability to know what one should do overall for the best life. And furthermore a preoccupation with the possibility that it could be done.

Anyway, I've noticed that that hasn't been a problem since I've realized that I've given my power away to that idea, so it's quite unlikely that I'm a 6 core type. Also I should clarify that I don't really relate to the idea that I can rely on something outside of myself for that guidance in the sense that any information I receive must convince me that it is accurate and solves the problem soundly.
    ---

I recant my original position and assume that all 6s focus on worst case scenarios in some way or another.
    Last edited by KazeCraven; 12-01-2010 at 03:59 PM.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that you're not a core 6. I'm thinking e9 is a better fit from what I can tell.

E6s feel the lack of guidance in everyday things, which is why they have a lot of nervous energy.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What utter bullshit you guys spout sometimes. I'm 6w5 and I'm more hopeful and trusting with the human race (ultimately). I'm not cold and skeptical. Generally speaking.

I just think you guys need more real education and not these neurotic sissy thoughts in those heard of yours. I believe in you so much that I spend all my time trying to change you into being functional people. Before you start with me, you're right. I should just get a life myself. But the tragedy of you guys is too juicy for me. Like somebody on here said before it's like I digest pain. Your misery is my strength. And it ultimately is a lot more entertaining than joining the real world because the real world is too perfect and pretty. I have a love/hate relationship with your fucked up ness.

Okay you think I'm insulting you. But you need to be insulted. You sheltered middle class mama boy ******S. It's time to man up, all of us and stop this bullshit.

Just be rawly REAL and stop talking about things that don't exist!

GARRRGHAGHAGHGHAGHAG I EAT YOU.

Art is real. Art is pain and hate but also love and joy and everything inbetween. Art has substance. Art is....majestic, masculine and it has a core. It's not searching out in nothingness land and saying neurotic nowhere things like 'this green smiley face is extroverted because I witnessed them being extroverted even though I don't have any objective evidence to prove that.'

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

E6s feel the lack of guidance in everyday things, which is why they have a lot of nervous energy.
    They feel the lack of guidance in themselves and other people. It's all about the psychological human world. It's never about every day things. What do you mean by 'every day things' anyway? Are you implying that sixes are so insecure that they won't even start the oven or cook something in the microwave for fear that it would infringe upon their emo ******ryness? You need more specific examples. Otherwise it just sounds like are you saying 'what an insecure fag' to hide your own Johnathon-like qualities.

Yeah I know other people's insecurities make you feel better about yourself. It's schadenfreude. =D

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    What utter bullshit you guys spout sometimes. I'm 6w5 and I'm more hopeful and trusting with the human race (ultimately). I'm not cold and skeptical. Generally speaking.

I just think you guys need more real education and not these neurotic sissy thoughts in those heard of yours. I believe in you so much that I spend all my time trying to change you into being functional people. Before you start with me, you're right. I should just get a life myself. But the tragedy of you guys is too juicy for me. Like somebody on here said before it's like I digest pain. Your misery is my strength. And it ultimately is a lot more entertaining than joining the real world because the real world is too perfect and pretty. I have a love/hate relationship with your fucked up ness.

Okay you think I'm insulting you. But you need to be insulted. You sheltered middle class mama boy ******S. It's time to man up, all of us and stop this bullshit.

Just be rawly REAL and stop talking about things that don't exist!

GARRRGHAGHAGHGHAGHAG I EAT YOU.

Art is real. Art is pain and hate but also love and joy and everything inbetween. Art has substance. Art is....majestic, masculine and it has a core. It's not searching out in nothingness land and saying neurotic nowhere things like 'this green smiley face is extroverted because I witnessed them being extroverted even though I don't have any objective evidence to prove that.'
    What are you even talking about? I'll do what I want. You can call me neurotic and sheltered all you want. It really irritates me when you start projecting these things on people on the forum, when it seems to me that they are your problems. Chill out.

and 6w5 are generally mistrustful and cold. It comes with the withdrawal of the w5 combined with the ever doubtful nature of the 6. 6s are generally described as skeptical. Though I'd argue 6w5 is the skeptical one, and 6w7 not so much.

They feel the lack of guidance in themselves and other people.
    That's how it should have been put. I meant that it's in everyday circumstance that they feel a lack of guidance. It's not that they only feel like they don't know where they're going in life. I'd say many actually do know where their going, it's the journey they have trouble with.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 12-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...stop talking about things that don't exist!
    What does this refer to? The Enneagram as a whole?

That's how it should have been put. I meant that it's in everyday circumstance that they feel a lack of guidance. It's not that they only feel like they don't know where they're going in life. I'd say many actually do know where their going, it's the journey they have trouble with.
    If I reword this to say that they question whether the journey is a worthwhile one, would you still agree?

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and 6w5 are generally mistrustful and cold. It comes with the withdrawal of the w5 combined with the ever doubtful nature of the 6. 6s are generally described as skeptical. Though I'd argue 6w5 is the skeptical one, and 6w7 not so much.
    Well a lot of it depends on how healthy the individual is. The more skeptical/cold 6w5s are probably in a less-than-desirable state of mind, and the happier ones are going to be a lot more trusting.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I reword this to say that they question whether the journey is a worthwhile one, would you still agree?
    It's possible, but I wouldn't say it's 6 related. Questions of significance is stepping into heart triad territory.

It's more like they question whether or not things will go the way they want it to rather than questioning whether or not they want it to go in a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Well a lot of it depends on how healthy the individual is. The more skeptical/cold 6w5s are probably in a less-than-desirable state of mind, and the happier ones are going to be a lot more trusting.
    true
    3w4-5w6-9w8