Thread: Dichotomy Shift -- A dynamic view of type

Creepy-male

Default Dichotomy Shift -- A dynamic view of type

This isn't technically Model A, but I want to open up a topic about a concept rolling around in my mind, which can be labeled "dichotomy shift", basically the idea is a type consists of four main dichotomies.

Say an SLE, ESTp is Extroverted, Sensory, Thinking, and Rational.

Dichotomy shift is considering that a shift in one of these dichotomies occurs either permainently or temporarily.

So ESTp --> ISTp

or

ESTp --> ESTj
    ESTp --> ENTp
    ESTP --> ENFp

I believe its possible to map fluctuations or changes in a person's type by these dichotomy shifts as well as reach a deeper understanding of type from analyzing these.

Consider some basic dichotomy shifts....

Introversion -- Extroversion

Sensory -- Intuition

Thinking -- Feeling

Rational -- Irrational

Consider what each could mean physically.

Introversion to Extroversion is a shift which implies outward expression of the self, it could designate something relatively minor over a small time scale such as a person initiating conversation with someone, or be an entire paradigm shift in a person's personality... i.e. the loner becomes a social butterfly after years of isolation.

By reverse consider Extroversion to Introversion. A usually outgoing person is isolated by themselves, or is placed in a situation where they are alienated by subculture, race, or other issues.

Consider Sensory to Intuition. Usually intuition works as a result of imaginary interpolation between sensory experiences.

An intensive run through of all the shifts could be notated but the general concept is presented here. Interestingly enough I think this technique can be used to understand the types better even if you don't believe in type change.

For example in MBTI an INTp is much like an introverted form on an ENTp and an ENTp an extroverted form of an INTp.

However in socionics this is more complicated.... is the introverted form of an SLE closer to an SLI or an LSI... interestingly relying upon model A and a jungian function perspective... the LSI would appear to be the introverted form of an SLE. One would except the LSI to share similar viewpoints to the SLE except have an introverted disposition towards them.

What is also interesting to note about this is that with this jungian function perspective that an introverted -- extroverted shift also requires a rational -- irrational shift. Thus providing an odd pattern or connection between Ixxj and Exxp temperaments and Ixxp and Exxj temperaments.

Duality and self-dualization provides a secondary connection between temperaments Ixxp and Exxp // Ixxj and Exxj...

Both the concept of duality and the introverted-extroverted shift can be used to understand a more dynamic and temporal concept behind type and how information elements move dynamically amongst each other.

Creepy-male

^ I'm sorry if this doesn't really make sense, I've been typing up a document for a class all day and I'm burnt out trying to articulate ideas.

However, if you catch onto what I am saying, feel free to post a reply.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I understood was that you posit that a type could fluctuate between all four of its dichotomies. I have thought about this myself. I'm not sure if there is an actual psyche alteration going on, or if it's all on the surface.

The rest, however, I don't follow.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen a type or dichotomie change. I don't believe in it therefor either.

TIM
    INTJ - intuitive sub
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take for examle two identical types whether they be two introverts or extroverts. Within an identical relationship one partner will demonstrate more extroversion and the other partner more introversion as the relationship forms. I have noticed that when interacting with my dual who is in a identical relationship and I am interacting with the introverted partner dualization can occur but in a less pronounced manner. In some what of a humours way when there co-exists duality and identicality relationships amongst a group the introverted partner will start acting more extroverted due to interaction with their dual which can frustrate the typically extroverted partner as they are use to being heard but not familiar with having to listen. It is an interesting phenomenon.

As for dictomoy shifts that does occur with duality. The intuitive partner will begin to be more sensory and the sensory partner will begin to be more abstract. However 'more' does not mean entirely.

I'm not sure if I agree with your statement that a ENTP is an extroverted INTP and vice versa. I think differently. I consider the difference is not between contrary relations but between mirror relations. That is a ENTP is an extroverted INTJ and vice versa. As I was having a discussion last night with a ENTP as what to do with my girl trouble I was rather surprised at how similar his actions were to my own - not identical of course.

I think the dictomy extroversion and introversion is conjoined with rational and irrational. The introverted ENTP demonstrates clearer rationality. I am not going any further as much of this can be better explained by socionics themselves as there is articles in bulk dedicated to explaining this very phenomenon.

What your thinking is in the right direction. I would recommend researching the socionics forum for DCNH. I am not converting you to that particular socionics branch but the author Gulenko does clearly express the introverted-extroverted phenomenon even if you do not agree nor accept all his theorhetical explanations.

Creepy-male

I can already tell I'm going to have to articulate this much better.

Also if you don't believe in the existence of dichotomy shift, then well I can't really convince you, in the same way I can't convince a muslim allah doesn't exist or a christian jesus doesn't exist and so forth... if you are not receptive to the idea, then well that's nice, but I don't know what else to say and I don't know what your agenda is in bringing it up.

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people think there is a j/p switch when converting from MBTI but I'm collecting evidence that it's not as simple. So speaking socionics only:

The closest type to ENTp is INTj because they are mirrors.

ENTp and INTp are contrary/contrast, meaning they have the same program/algo but with completely opposite polarities (NiTeFiSe vs NeTiFeSi).

I don't think type can change, and extroverts forced into confinement are usually not happy and introverts forced into constant interaction tend to get energy-drained really fast.

Of course introverts do show their extroverted side to the world when they interact, and they usually like that if they are not too autistic! But that doesn't make them equivalent to their mirror type, or only for short periods, and for the undiscerning eye...

Many people try to convince themselves they can be more than one type, as if one type wasn't enough already. It's like they got the misconception that being a particular type is "limiting" somehow, whereas it's clear when looking around you that any type can do anything. Some are just more or less proficient, but that's all.
    "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.
    At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions."

C. G. Jung

-----
    Know your body, know your mind, know your limits.

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact you can *behave* like another type, but simple details will make the mask fall in no time (unless you are actively acting and good at it)

For instance it's clear when you try to crack a joke in a group of persons you just encountered and it makes an uber flop, but not because your joke was bad (say, you could have made other people laugh with the same joke the day before) but your focus on certain information aspects could make you output the wrong information elements...(ie not the ones your audience values)

Sure you could be a delta person trying to make beta jokes in a beta group, but chances are what you'll say won't be beta enough, or it could sound a bit odd or inappropriate. A bit like in these vampires movies where they can smell the mortals amongst them...

That's just an example. If you want to keep your cover, don't make jokes! :wink:
    "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.
    At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions."

C. G. Jung

-----
    Know your body, know your mind, know your limits.