Thread: Spidey Sense

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spidey Sense

Ever since we were little my sister (SEE) and I have been able to sense when someone walks into a room. There is a "disturbance in the force" kind of feeling.

I've never read anything about this in science or otherwise and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, is it type related or am I just an alien.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i remember reading something about self-defense where it was said that if you get a bad feeling like someone is watching you, you should pay heed to your intuition and take the feeling seriously. i can't remember the source or how credible it was, though, and a quick google search only turned up things about auras and the supernatural.

but in any case i think most people have this feeling at least some of the time, if not with 100% accuracy. (as for me, i sometimes feel it, but i've also been snuck up on, so it's not perfectly attuned, hah.) i think its just intuition in the normal sense of the word.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can always feel it. I thought everyone could. Maybe we're just odd.

Creepy-male

Probably just a high level of arousal. Some people are naturally more anxious and have finer-tuned radar.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like his father, and his son Yagyū Jūbei Mitsuyoshi, Munenori has achieved a degree of legendary status. A number of tales and abilities have been attributed to him.

One of the most often repeated is the tale of his amazing sense of danger approaching. He was meditating in his garden facing away from the door when his assistant brought him his sword silently and without any declarations. His assistant, being a young and imaginative sort of person, thought to himself how it would be interesting to see if he could attack Munenori from this position. Before he could act on the fantasy, Munenori leapt to his feet and turned around, stunned to discover only his assistant was behind him. He was sure there was some impending danger.

Later on he was still troubled by the event. How could he have mistaken his assistant for impending danger? Was he losing his edge? He spoke of the incident to one of his trusted advisors while his assistant was in the room, and, being a virtuous youth, his assistant admitted that he had "thought" about attacking him earlier, but made no physical movements in accordance with the attack. Therefore, Munenori concluded that he was not in fact losing his edge but had actually achieved a new level of swordsmanship, one where a man can anticipate impending danger even when people are thinking about it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    i remember reading something about self-defense where it was said that if you get a bad feeling like someone is watching you, you should pay heed to your intuition and take the feeling seriously. i can't remember the source or how credible it was, though, and a quick google search only turned up things about auras and the supernatural.

but in any case i think most people have this feeling at least some of the time, if not with 100% accuracy. (as for me, i sometimes feel it, but i've also been snuck up on, so it's not perfectly attuned, hah.) i think its just intuition in the normal sense of the word.
    Not a feeling of being watched, I get that too (almost always accurate, I don't even try to confirm it anymore), but just an awareness of a new presence. I think it may be sound waves from the person that disrupts equilibrium.

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Like his father, and his son Yagyū Jūbei Mitsuyoshi, Munenori has achieved a degree of legendary status. A number of tales and abilities have been attributed to him.

One of the most often repeated is the tale of his amazing sense of danger approaching. He was meditating in his garden facing away from the door when his assistant brought him his sword silently and without any declarations. His assistant, being a young and imaginative sort of person, thought to himself how it would be interesting to see if he could attack Munenori from this position. Before he could act on the fantasy, Munenori leapt to his feet and turned around, stunned to discover only his assistant was behind him. He was sure there was some impending danger.

Later on he was still troubled by the event. How could he have mistaken his assistant for impending danger? Was he losing his edge? He spoke of the incident to one of his trusted advisors while his assistant was in the room, and, being a virtuous youth, his assistant admitted that he had "thought" about attacking him earlier, but made no physical movements in accordance with the attack. Therefore, Munenori concluded that he was not in fact losing his edge but had actually achieved a new level of swordsmanship, one where a man can anticipate impending danger even when people are thinking about it.
    Interesting. Possibly true, possibly false.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In MBTI it's most correlated to Se. Not sure it's type-related in Socionics.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCold
    ...When someone walks into a room, there is a "disturbance in the force" kind of feeling.
    Is it equally "disturbing" if you want them there or not?

Do different people trigger different feelings? (Some more, some less?)

(Really wish I could add something personal, but don't think I've got your gift.)

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Is it equally "disturbing" if you want them there or not?
    A disturbance in the force--like, some quality in the air changes or something, and you intuit that something about the room is subtly off.

It's not that it's disturbing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TA
    A disturbance in the force--like, some quality in the air changes or something, and you intuit that something about the room is subtly off.

That makes a little more sense then, I think.

FWIW, my forehead starts buzzing if I put pencils or metal things near it.

Not quite as exciting (or useful), but disturbing.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can always kinda sense when someone is behind me.

I think I'm a bit too tense or something.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    FWIW, my forehead starts buzzing if I put pencils or metal things near it.
    I get that with my tinnitus, lol.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't think I can sense that. But related to this: Isn't it interesting how a room and the whole environment changes when there is someone else present.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post

Yea that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    No, I don't think I can sense that. But related to this: Isn't it interesting how a room and the whole environment changes when there is someone else present.
    The atmosphere? Yea, what's more interesting is being so detached to notice it.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm PoLR and I relate to this.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Ever since we were little my sister (SEE) and I have been able to sense when someone walks into a room. There is a "disturbance in the force" kind of feeling.

I've never read anything about this in science or otherwise and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, is it type related or am I just an alien.
    There is only one explanation for this... you must go atop the roof of a building and attempt to master your web technique.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think anyone could develop this sense. It's really just a matter of fine-tuning your senses that you already have. Blind people, for instance, become acutely aware of that "cushion" of air between them and something else. Or so I've heard.

NTR.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    I think anyone could develop this sense. It's really just a matter of fine-tuning your senses that you already have. Blind people, for instance, become acutely aware of that "cushion" of air between them and something else. Or so I've heard.

NTR.
    I don't even know what it is though, like I said, it's been with me since early childhood.

Creepy-male

I don't even know what it is though, like I said, it's been with me since early childhood.
    learn to shoot a web!

nah to me it sounds like something natural, like you may just have an exaggerated sense of personal space and because of this, whenever someone enters this space you are aware of it. Actually stuff like this isn't bad to develop, I'm sure people who can sense lies very well developed this sense from a heightened awareness to their own or other peoples cues they paid close attention to when they were lying, eventually it just becomes second nature. most people don't have as good of a sense of lies because they either trust the person on history/relationship or they aren't used to lying or being lied to. Maybe your self-consciousness and exaggerated sense of personal space lends a benefit of some sort to you as in if one day someone tries to pick your pocket you'll know it. People are probably full of these little unique abilities, that aren't necessarily supernatural, but unique talents.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think according to ghost hunters the feeling that someone is behind you or watching you (or a presence has entered) can be caused by a jump in EMF in the area... they're constantly bringing their EMF meters with them and the things seem to record spikes somewhat sporadically for inexplicable reasons (i mean because there are ghosts passing near).

there are a lot of things on that show that i can't explain... like one episode where one person in one room told the "ghost" to repeat certain words to a person in another room (this person supposedly couldn't hear anything from the first room) and more than once he actually heard the ghost say the same words the first person had asked it to say (being entirely unaware that the first person was even engaged in this activity with the "ghost"). i mean it really seems that the only explanation is that "something" is able to pass these words (i don't know if this something is a ghost though). naturally i feel skeptical and i feel that way about how they even edit/present the show because often times i can't see/hear anything for myself and so i just have to take their word for it (the editing and music actually interferes with anything that might enable you to actually see what happened, assuming anything happened at all... so it ends up being suspenseful music and people saying "DID YOU SEE THAT!" prior to commercial breaks and it's all wonderfully unhelpful). anyway i just feel that if i was there i would be way more critical about it than they are. but... they do do a good job of finding mundane/real-life explanations where they can (they attribute this often to their skills as plumbers because they understand things like pipes and electricity and heating, etc.).
    Last edited by marooned; 12-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Creepy-Korpsey

Standard-issue humans have skin and ears to detect atmospheric pressure disturbances (including noise) when other critters enter their space. Individuals are more or less situationally aware than others. There is no mystery or type-related superpower here.

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsey View Post
    Standard-issue humans have skin and ears to detect atmospheric pressure disturbances (including noise) when other critters enter their space. Individuals are more or less situationally aware than others. There is no mystery or type-related superpower here.
    I am very aware. I can literally feel the hairs in my ears twitch.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    He was meditating in his garden facing away from the door when his assistant brought him his sword silently and without any declarations.
    Already his warrior skills fail. Who the fuck faces away from the door? Seriously.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychics do, as that gives would be attackers a false sense of having the advantage, obviously. That's telepathic Japanese people 101.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Police officers claim they know if a person is a crook or not, regardless of his appearance.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i remember reading something about self-defense where it was said that if you get a bad feeling like someone is watching you, you should pay heed to your intuition and take the feeling seriously.
    That conjured really disturbing paranoid images in my mind for some reason.

as to the op, yes I can. In fact it feels like my ears go backward, like a cat's. Its almost like I can physically feel my ears move. It feels like I'm pulling the tops of my ears upward.
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 10-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Police officers claim they know if a person is a crook or not, regardless of his appearance.
    Ergo, all police officers are intuitives!