Thread: The Social Control Ring or the Supervision Loop

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default The Social Control Ring or the Supervision Loop

One of the special groups mentioned in Reinin's Book. Here's Reinin's description:

In this group three types of relationships are present: Controller, Servant and Superego. All three kinds of relationships are difficult. Every member has his\her Controller and Servant. Atmosphere in this group is rather tense; people cannot do anything together. Even a simple thing like having a cup of tea becomes unbearable: people get headaches, tension grows, and everyone wishes they’d be somewhere else. It is interesting to note that all these things happen only when the ring is completed. When it is not, the environment for the [three] members of the group is more or less tolerable. But as soon as the fourth member steps into the room and the ring is completed things begin to fall apart. After spending about 15 minutes together the members of this group grow Quixote, a Maxim, a Napoleon and a Dostoevsky – eachone of them has a Controller and a Servant and a Superego partner. There are no other relationships in this group. Not only they cannot work on a project together, but also they cannot even be in the same room for more than 10 minutes. They can talk one on one with each other, but it is a scary thing when they all get together…increasingly anxious and nervous.

Has anyone been in such a group? What were your experiences? Do you think Reinin's description is valid or not?

Do you really think the situation is as dire as described here?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Yes. Not so bad (no heavy arguments), it's just nothing works and the group falls apart.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never seen such an arrangement, but yeah, I assume it would be extremely uncomfortable.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't sound like a problem for ILI, just view it all ironically. Though I can't say I've ever been in such a situation to have any credibility.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about if only three of the four are present? I've been in the same room with an LSI (my grandfather) and SEE (my friend) for a long time, and I found it pleasant.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    What about if only three of the four are present? I've been in the same room with an LSI (my grandfather) and SEE (my friend) for a long time, and I found it pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    It is interesting to note that all these things happen only when the ring is completed. When it is not, the environment for the [three] members of the group is more or less tolerable. But as soon as the fourth member steps into the room and the ring is completed things begin to fall apart.
    ಠ_ಠ
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Reading is hard sometimes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's no excuse, wait, it is...but a rather weak one.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever been in a supervision ring, probably because there's been little reason for all four of us to be drawn together at a time.
    The closest to this I've experienced, and mentioned before, is tri-supervision, which I grew up in (Me-EII > mother and brother ILE > father LSI).

It does feel uncomfortable after extensive periods together, it's like everyone is deflecting the others input and simultaneously getting their base burned and rejected. I've pretty much have had to act as a mediator between my brother, mother and father when they go overboard on my father, and my father has acted as the mediator between them and me.
    I guess I'm the lucky one since nobody supervises me, but have my Fi and Ne stomped on is enough to deal with as is
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    ಠ_ಠ
    ....Where did you find that?
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    One of the special groups mentioned in Reinin's Book. Here's Reinin's description:

In this group three types of relationships are present: Controller, Servant and Superego. All three kinds of relationships are difficult. Every member has his\her Controller and Servant. Atmosphere in this group is rather tense; people cannot do anything together. Even a simple thing like having a cup of tea becomes unbearable: people get headaches, tension grows, and everyone wishes they’d be somewhere else. It is interesting to note that all these things happen only when the ring is completed. When it is not, the environment for the [three] members of the group is more or less tolerable. But as soon as the fourth member steps into the room and the ring is completed things begin to fall apart. After spending about 15 minutes together the members of this group grow Quixote, a Maxim, a Napoleon and a Dostoevsky – eachone of them has a Controller and a Servant and a Superego partner. There are no other relationships in this group. Not only they cannot work on a project together, but also they cannot even be in the same room for more than 10 minutes. They can talk one on one with each other, but it is a scary thing when they all get together…increasingly anxious and nervous.

Has anyone been in such a group? What were your experiences? Do you think Reinin's description is valid or not?

Do you really think the situation is as dire as described here?
    well there one argument against this which is the thinking theories. holographers, cause and effect, vortex, and dialectic. the supervision rings form the thinking rings as well. theoretically a supervision ring would be able to look at a problem from all sides using the same thought technique.

i've never been in a full ring but i've been in part of a ring ILE>LSI>SEE. i would make the LSI squirm and LSI would make the SEE squirm. it wasn't bad being at the top of the ring with no one to supervise me. i think the term social control is a good one because your supervisor mainly prevents you or shuts you down from doing things that take your ego strengths too far and that have obvious weaknesses. they keep you from going too far. so if we apply this to an entire ring, it would think you would only be able to get limited product.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have noticed myself in the supervision ring

Often when in groups of many random people I often find myself in a small group where all 4 types of my supervision ring are present. Sometimes I think I see how each play a part in neutralizing for everyone. I am thinking there must be some sort of pull so that the supervision rings tend to find each other. It as if we feel that we are needed here. Some sort of vaccum. Thread question, have you found yourself in a group of supervision ring?