Thread: Questions for sx-dominant 9's: about intensity, anger, introspection, etc

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questions for sx-dominant 9's: about intensity, anger, introspection, etc.

I'm curious about sx 9's, because it seems that the type 9 is really serene and avoids intensity, whereas sx-doms are drawn to intensity. And then some E9s can become really like E5s in their intellectualism, so I wondered if some intellectual sx 9's, particularly the 9w1's, would be drawn to introspection.

I'm also curious about sx 9's relationship to anger, particularly the 9w8's. Seems like this subtype would be an interesting mesh of intensity and serenity. If you're an sx 9 (of any subtype), do you know how you come across to others?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCraven View Post
    I'm curious about sx 9's, because it seems that the type 9 is really serene and avoids intensity, whereas sx-doms are drawn to intensity. And then some E9s can become really like E5s in their intellectualism, so I wondered if some intellectual sx 9's, particularly the 9w1's, would be drawn to introspection.
    The trick is that 9s don't avoid intensity, per se, they avoid things that distress them. Intense feelings can do one of two things and play directly into Niney escapism, or fire up the Nine's pain-avoidance agenda. "Safe" intense experiences can be like watching the sun rise, or going stargazing, or listening to a moving piece of music...

Also, I don't think E9 and E5 intellectualism can really be compared. Nines can be very interested in logically sorting, classifying, systemising, whatever their knowledge, and generally thinking things through, but there's a stark difference between how Nines and Fives deal with problem-solving and developing solutions. A Nine stops at the general, magical solution, the Five will investigate into every side of the problem and either develop a solution or decide it's impossible (or so I've read, I can't speak for Fives).

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCraven View Post
    I'm also curious about sx 9's relationship to anger, particularly the 9w8's. Seems like this subtype would be an interesting mesh of intensity and serenity. If you're an sx 9 (of any subtype), do you know how you come across to others?
    I never know how I come across to others I would think most people see me as cheery, relaxed, aloof, or some mix of those, however. I also always remain calm in the instances where I'm being emotional, even angry, unless I've flown into a rage.

As for my relationship to anger... that's a difficult one to pin down and describe succinctly

I suppose, there's two broad sets of what I can do with my anger. They would be:

Keeping it inside:
    • I decide it's not worth getting worked up over.
    • I bottle up my frustrations and then eventually boil over and let the person have it.

Doing something with it:
    • If I finally boil over, I'm either in a rage, or very close to it. I get very physically confrontational, and loud, and just lose all restraint. I calm down very quickly though.
    • Remain calm, collected, and in control. I'm aware of why I'm unhappy and can talk about it and mediate my needs and boundaries with other people. I can also put my foot down and am just generally active and in control.

In my case as a 9w8 (or a balanced Nine?) it rings true that I can suddenly show contradictory elements of the w8, being very rude, blunt, and aggressive or nasty then go straight back to my nice, relaxed, happy self.

Usually fights aren't worth the lost time and energy though.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your reply. This is very interesting and makes a world of sense, especially seeking intensity in safe ways.
    ---

Also for any spectators here, I must add that another self-proclaimed 9sx elsewhere states that she is obsessed with self-knowledge, but admits it's more a distraction to avoid being present to life. That and, perhaps due to her 4-image-fix, feels different rather than similar to others.
    Last edited by KazeCraven; 11-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.