Thread: Dream Archetypes, Socionics Types and Quadra Values

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dream Archetypes, Socionics Types and Quadra Values

Do you ever have distinct IMs when you are dreaming? I believe that a distinct IM is
    represented in the form of a distinct symbolic imagery, with objects that are guided
    within the dream by fields (which are usually directed by objects in a more conscious
    state, and have much less influence on objects than objects do on fields IRL).

Specifically, I notice these archetypes:

Cold
    Darkness
    Weather
    Man
    Roads
    Calm
    Light
    Warmth

In some of my dreams I am represented by a superhighway () connecting stars ()
    like a road map in the sky (see upper right corner of art below), in another dream, I
    am a man () standing alone waiting () on a deserted () beach () for a hurricane
    () that comes after a drop in temperature () as I am about to wake from REM sleep...

Last edited by Nexus; 10-23-2010 at 07:19 AM.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

I usually dream of people and alternate scenarios
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once had a dream in which I partook in an interesting discussion on psychology/sociology with a woman in her 30s. According to your proposal that would be .
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I more or less always dream about the same themes...

It's in a post-apocalyptic setup, nearly always dark, with dimmed lights, or at night, in underground places...

I wander in deserted and crumbled buildings, looking more like squats than anything else...I'm not alone, I meet a lot of "survivors", they all mind their own business, and look a bit scared, but at least they're alive.

I'm often on the run, always on some obscure mission I'm not really conscious of...so I walk across doors, stairs, hidden pathways..sometimes climb on the collapsed roofs and have to walk on small insecure junctions, at great heights above the void...but most of the time, I go into the basements and underground tunnels...

The rail archetype is very frequent there... I walk along rails, with subways or trains passing near me...sometimes I hijack the trains while they move, sometimes not...There are train crossings too...Often in the dream I try to reach the lower level, using stairs down or escalators..then I reach the subway station, but I don't get on the train, I walk on the rails in the tunnel!

Well sometimes I'm in the train too, but I always manage to escape in a "non normal way" like going through the inter-wagon area or even through the window...

Most of the people I meet there are unknown. When I meet persons I know, it's usually very few of them at a time (say one or two per night).

Sometimes but more rarely, it's the same post apocalyptic setup, but in winter near mountains. And while there is snow everywhere, I never feel the cold...

Enough for tonight!
    "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.
    At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions."

C. G. Jung

-----
    Know your body, know your mind, know your limits.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My scariest dreams always involve water or gigantic waves in some way, where I can barely kick to the surface for a breath before the next one swallows me.

Which is strange, because I quite enjoy just being tossed around by the surf when I'm at the beach. It's really relaxing. But here it's always terrifying in dreamland.

I also recently had a really vivid one where an amalgamation of a couple of asshole I know tried to stab me so I shot him after warning him away, but then he didn't die and... then it got a lot more vague after that.

...dreams are kinna bullshit.
    4w5 sp/sx

Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    My scariest dreams always involve water or gigantic waves in some way, where I can barely kick to the surface for a breath before the next one swallows me.

Which is strange, because I quite enjoy just being tossed around by the surf when I'm at the beach. It's really relaxing. But here it's always terrifying in dreamland.

I also recently had a really vivid one where an amalgamation of a couple of asshole I know tried to stab me so I shot him after warning him away, but then he didn't die and... then it got a lot more vague after that.

Oh dude I remember this one dream with water, hahah I love dreams, sometimes they are scary or morbid but they are so vivid and weird and intricate. I was at this ocean and there was this hole in the ocean, about the size of a car or a bus in width and it went extremely deep and someone had fallen into it and no one could retrieve them or anything, they sent down like a submarine and everything, and eventually these people built this rig around the hole to explore it or whatever. It was near this beach at a cove or something, and I remember swimming out in curiosity to the hole and I went underwater to look at it and it was all black and stuff (since no light existed that far down) and I remember swimming down into it, and then slowly the surface got further and further away and it got darker and darker, and eventually I got scared and swam the fuck out of it, but at the same time I was curious if there was ever an end to the hole or what happened to the guy that feel into it. I remember also throwing things down into it that sank. It was an odd dream and had a creepy as fuck feel to it.

Water is a common theme in dreams, I'm recalling dreams like crazy with water in them. A key thing to pay attention to is if your going underwater or above water or at a beach.

Water is awesome though, I think I'm going to design a map for a game thats essentially an underwater base. Its like an abadoned underwater base or aqquirium and all around is a bunch of water and walkways with glass to see into the water. Then there are also switches which drains and fills rooms with water.

I'm always very impressed with the "dreamscapes" that exist, sometimes I have dreams that occur at the same locations but different in content.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post

lol

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Oh dude I remember this one dream with water, hahah I love dreams, sometimes they are scary or morbid but they are so vivid and weird and intricate. I was at this ocean and there was this hole in the ocean, about the size of a car or a bus in width and it went extremely deep and someone had fallen into it and no one could retrieve them or anything, they sent down like a submarine and everything, and eventually these people built this rig around the hole to explore it or whatever. It was near this beach at a cove or something, and I remember swimming out in curiosity to the hole and I went underwater to look at it and it was all black and stuff (since no light existed that far down) and I remember swimming down into it, and then slowly the surface got further and further away and it got darker and darker, and eventually I got scared and swam the fuck out of it, but at the same time I was curious if there was ever an end to the hole or what happened to the guy that feel into it. I remember also throwing things down into it that sank. It was an odd dream and had a creepy as fuck feel to it.
    lol, lucid dreams

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HaveLucidDreamz: Are you by chance into lucid dreams or it's just your nickname...?
    "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.
    At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions."

C. G. Jung

-----

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C. G. Jung

-----

Creepy-male

haha yes I was really into for like a 3 month period, and I made the name: HaveLucidDreamz, and used it for everything I signed up for. Now I have a little bit less of an interest in it, mainly because I don't find the time to spend developing the necessary skill of lucid dreaming. I should start learning how to do it again though.

I do pay attention to my dreams though and analyze them a bunch. Recently I've been so busy with work that now I actually dream of doing work, and occasionally I solve a problem in my dream that I need to do when I'm awake. Its annoying though because I don't like work taking that much of a hold over my life.

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily reality check practice they say! And find a proper totem lol

C. G. Jung

-----

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by KeroZen View Post
    Daily reality check practice they say! And find a proper totem lol
    lol actually what helps the best is sort of like the reality check thing, all you do is habitually ask yourself "Am I dreaming or am I awake" periodically throughout the day. Eventually this becomes so natural of a thing that in your dreams you ask it and realize "holy shit" I'm dreaming.

Another good method is to fall asleep with the TV on or music, and use that sensory stimulus to kind of go halfway between dreaming and being awake.

TIM
    infecting u with Fe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read many fascinating things about that... including that experience where they made lucid dreamers perform particular actions in their dreams.

Those actions included:

- find a light switch in the room, and try to turn the lights on and see what happens
    - find a mirror in your dream, and try to look at yourself and see what happens

Results were intriguing...It seems you have a lot of freedom to fabric your dreams but there are some limitations...

Some say for instance most dreams are dark due to our eyes being..well in the dark! But the bit about "dark = Ni" is interesting...

C. G. Jung

-----

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dream themes and quadra values

I had this bad dream last night where I was a senior in college again and was worried I was going to not graduate. This is a common theme, but this time I kept screwing up. I had this thing I had to write but I'd forgotten, and I ended up leaving my purse somewhere, and running all over town, and then leaving my car somewhere and having to walk all over, so obviously I didn't get the paper written or turned in. I'm always having dreams where I am going to just barely not graduate. Like where I've put in all this effort for years, and I'm going to fail just at the last minute.

Anyway, I imagine our dreams show our quadra values. Maybe that was an anxiety dream and I needed to relax, so maybe it shows a desire for Si? I don't know. What common dream themes show what values? Like the dream about showing up somewhere in just your underwear, or your teeth falling out, or falling?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teeth falling out, falling from above, failing school. Yes yes yes. I dream a lot of things! Some much more interesting, others plainly uninspirational. Some are long winding adventures, others I only remember quick screenshots. Some reflect things from that day, others are completely random.

There are some dreams that tend to repeat from time to time, where the locations stay the same. For instance there is this massive school that changes around each time, I made up in my dream reflecting the first day of school, and sometimes I revisit the first day and am trying to find all my classes, then who knows, all of a sudden something completely unrelated could happen and I find someone I would never have expected. For instance I chat up with someone then when he goes I'm in a new place, I walk in a corridor and it turns into a dark smokey hangout with a bunch of students on their cars and algebra books on the ground, and green slime starts to pour through some channels, pots boil and steam rises through the floor, and I find the junkyard and this runned down fast food place in the middle, or sometimes I have to walk for miles and miles through the ruins of the school that got knocked down, and I get lost and find new people and we walk to the beach and the sky fills up pink at night and goes on forever, and the volcano starts to flow and the waves meet the birds, and I notice the giant sea monster awaken as we go underground, or maybe the world changes forever and bombs go off and I find myself with a bunch of strangers traveling through underground highways to the new world. My dreams are always random and different every time.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think teeth falling out could be weak Se? Hmmmm.

Although dreams might be too universal. I wonder if people with strong Se have dreams about their teeth falling out.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post

Although dreams might be too universal. I wonder if people with strong Se have dreams about their teeth falling out.
    I have nightmares where I can't stop clenching my jaw, and it continues to tighten until my teeth break in my jaw.

EDIT

My nightmares are usually related to me mentally abstracting myself from something painful or fatal and being unable to stop it, or an invisible predator intending to eat me (usually appears as a blotch of darkness).

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    I have nightmares where I can't stop clenching my jaw, and it continues to tighten until my teeth break in my jaw.
    Oh that's an interesting take on it. In mine, they usually start crumbling away, and then I try to keep my mouth closed and not let any pieces fall out because I'm embarrassed by it.

Creepy-male

According to the first dream analysis hit on google, that means you're a chatbox And also you perhaps have unaddressed fears of failure, or perhaps they're just topical (ties in with the university dreams, thematically).

In my case it's probably just my dissociation issues rearing their head. The common thread is I'm dying or being damaged permanently and I can't stop it happening.

Generally my dreams are really average day-to-day stuff, just with weird dream logic in effect in some detail or other, like a television talking to me, or being embedded in a table, or a Buckingham palace guard being at school. I always just chalked it up to Si taking in situations around me and spinning them into dreams.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good number of my dreams consist of me not being prepared for something: a play on opening night, class presentation, etc. The moment where I have to perform comes closer and closer, and I get conflicted as to whether or not I should go through with it. Seems like an E6 sort of dream content

The dreams of mine that tend to be the most memorable are ones that involve romance in some fashion. I've had dreams where I'm holding hands or cuddling with a friend, someone I'm not particularly attracted to romantically. Then once I wake up I feel weirdly attracted to this person. My dreams have a weird way of convincing me that they're real once I wake up, probably because they deal with things that affect me so personally.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a dream similar to yours not too long ago Mariella. I had a dream that my last semester I completely forgot about a class all semester and never attended it. Somehow I found out I was supposed to and I looked at all the stuff I had to do and didn't know of any way to get it all done before graduation.

I believe that sometimes your dreams have connections to real world worries and problems, but others are just your mind trying to make sense of some electrical spark in your brain.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Teeth falling out is a very common dream. I've had it also. I think Freud had some analysis on what it meant. I think it was something... sexual.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh sure, dreams theoretically bear the unconcious, but would require thorough examination and analysis before you draw conclusions. I've drawn parallels between Se and some of mine that involved open conflict.

I am also pretty sure your base functions do not have control during your dreams - your consciousness probably runs wild.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Yes, Teeth falling out is a very common dream. I've had it also. I think Freud had some analysis on what it meant. I think it was something... sexual.
    Eh, Freud though everything was sexual.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man was a genius.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I've had dreams where I'm holding hands or cuddling with a friend, someone I'm not particularly attracted to romantically. Then once I wake up I feel weirdly attracted to this person. My dreams have a weird way of convincing me that they're real once I wake up, probably because they deal with things that affect me so personally.
    Yeah, except for me its more personal/under the surface, like not cuddling or holding hands.

Creepy-Korpsey

Teeth falling out in dreams is often regarded as concern about turning old, losing control of one's life, the inexorable passage of time. However, it might signify something entirely different given the person dreaming and their life experiences.

And I don't think there's going to be anything particularly type or quadra related here.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that's why it was supposed to be funny that I stated the obvious.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew an INTp who would often get fits of nightmares for days on end, even weeks. These nightmares would consist of needles, loved ones getting hurt/loved ones rejecting him, other things regarding bodily harm, etc. Could be some sort of Fi valuing neurosis.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...3&postcount=15

Heh. I read that Freud interpreted teeth falling out to be anxiety over castration as a punishment for masturbation.

Also, I had a dream that my roommate and I went into my computer through the monitor, and I had a background image of a forest at the time, so we were running through the trees for a while. She looked it up and said, "Freud thought trees represented pubic hair." We just stared at each other awkwardly for a moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think my dreams are particularly linked to my quadra. I dream about all kinds of things. I used to have more dreams about being caught in situations beyond my control (symbolized by a variety of things), but the older I get and the more I feel that I'm in control of my own life, those dreams have almost disappeared. Now they're just generally funny or weird, and less overwhelming or depressing. There are a couple of good dream dictionaries online. Usually when I look stuff up, there's a pretty clear connection between something that is going on in my life and what I'm dreaming about.
    IEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Relevance of Dreams and Relation to Type

http://www.tnnweb.com/mds/majorarchetypes.html
    http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminfor...eory/jung3.htm

As some of you may or may not know, Jung theorized and focused on dreams, their archetypal patterns and what they mean to psychological growth/self understanding. The above links briefly summarize some of his points and point at widely recognized archetypal figures. He points out that figures in our dreams resemble these archetypal characteristics collectively present in human conscious as represented through mythical figures, literature, art etc.

I have no doubt that in Jung's framework dreams would have played a great role in identifying and understanding IEs and their relationship to any type's unconscious. I also understand that analyzing dreams is a highly individual process, and so reserve this topic to understanding of one's own type in relation to one's own [personal] dreams. I also understand that Jung endorsed any individual method of interpretation that produced individually meaningful results, so archetypes may not be the sole focus of one's analysis.

Anyway, to the point; I was wondering about anyone's familiarity with this form of dream analysis on this board as well as their thoughts on its relationship to how we may, through meticulous dream analysis and understanding, come to conclusions regarding how our repressed IEs show themselves to us in our sleep and what that may mean for how we can healthily approach/deal with them in our daily lives. I think that a highly developed understanding of one's dreams can lead directly to identifying one's own type as well as proving it to be a reliable process devoid of the ambiguity and self deceptive tendencies of our waking ego's attempt at consciously self identifying (save for the bias that may be in the waking analysis of course! that would be a developed skill).

On a similar note, I wonder if it would be possible to make IE correlations in much the same way through literature, as the archetypes present in any classical text will have much the same characteristics as those present in our dreams. That would pose a very difficult question, for I'm certain the authors did not weave an extra 'typology' lair of meaning into their archetypes... although such an investigation may yield interesting results...
    |