Thread: The Praxeology and Ethics of Traffic Lights

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Default The Praxeology and Ethics of Traffic Lights

It's over. There can be no hope for the state now. Its time has finally come to an end. If you think this is irrationally optimistic, click here and watch the video. You will see the state's raison d'ętre smashed asunder.

How often do you hear the minarchist say, "Well, I don't like government, but we at least need things like traffic laws. We need a government to keep us safe"? For all those who call libertarians crazy for wanting to abolish the Federal Reserve, how much more dangerous and criminal would they accuse us of being if we actually began to publicly advocate the abolition of traffic regulations? Yet, here it is, on video, for the entire world to see, that Hobbes was wrong.

Martin Cassini, a photographer and advocate for road deregulation, has produced a marvelous series of videos documenting the results of the Cabstand Junction Trial that started in September of 2009 in North Somerset, in Great Britain. The videos, which can be viewed on his website FitRoads.com and on YouTube, show the remarkable before and after results of the experiment.

Without traffic lights regulating intersections, congestion has disappeared and accidents are virtually nonexistent. With the exception of a few who still assume right of way, drivers are courteous and give way to pedestrians and other drivers.

This may come as a shock to those who believe in the state, but not to Austrians. This phenomenon can be explained by applying the principles developed in Hans-Hermann Hoppe's theory of argumentation ethics. Both cooperation and empathy are not only part of human nature but are things that must exist within any rational being. It is, as Murray Rothbard put it, the unification of "is" and "ought," of economics and ethics, of the actions that people do perform for their own selfish desires and the actions they should perform for the good of others. (Continued...)
    This article, by Justin Quinn, confirms what I have thought ever since I began driving: The utter uselessness (and danger) of traffic control devices.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We would still need car accidents to supply us with fresh human organs for transplant. This scheme of eliminating car accidents would condemn millions of people to death. All hail the practical wisdom of the state!!!

EDIT: I'd pay money to see Richard Nixon incapacitate a Gorn with a homemade canon.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't reach too far, but yeah traffic lights are retarted just like lots of other dumb laws and regulations. They are ij,ej systems.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Who's reaching too far?

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anecdotes based on a web video are nice and all, but I would need to see some statistics before I'm convinced. Are there countries who have no traffic laws? Are there fewer traffic deaths per capita in those countries? How efficient is the traffic flow in those countries? Etc.

It's a nice idea and I'd love it to be true, but I'm a little skeptical.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god this is fucking retarded. i remember why i quit this board now./
    asd

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    I don't see anything egregiously offensive in this thread. What are you reacting to?

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I don't see anything egregiously offensive in this thread. What are you reacting to?
    It's just that time of the month, I guess.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    It's just that time of the month, I guess.
    ~~~oh you~~~