Thread: fuck the pope

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default fuck the pope

i think this proves how damaging organised religion is to society.

before organised religion.....

and after......

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get it.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't get it.
    well before christianity came to ireland women had equal rights. when women have equal rights, their kids are happy, their husbands are happy, everyone is better off. we were better off here (in ireland) following our ancient customs based on mythology which came from our collective unconscious. we got all fucked up when christianity came along talking of this separate god who sits on a cloud and judges you for your sins and who says women must bow down to men. this lie made women weak. men thought they were strong because they had all the control but it only served to make them weaker. do you get it now?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think I understand what you're trying to say. But weren't the Celts weak as well?
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o_O Say what??!!!! Celtic religion was organized well before the arrival of christianity.
    It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarrelled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they are all equal now.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Irish catholicism was and still is to a point, separate from Rome, and it incorporated many paganistic ideals, it was the most equal rights catholicism out of all catholicism in Europe.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or at least how power in general can fuck shit up.

Dance Magic Dance CloudCuckooLander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck the popelice. Fuck, fuck, fuck the popelice.

In all seriousness, I suppose the papal institution relates to man's hierarchical nature - people feel comforted by being commanded by an old man with a stick and a funny hat. Still, I would much prefer they follow this one:

to this one:

It doesn't help that many changes since Vatican II have liberalized and multiculturalized the church, leading to a banal sort of political correctness and sensitivity to ethnic issues running quite rampant in the clergy, while at the same time they maintain overly (ridiculously) conservative stances on issues like usage of conctraceptives and acceptance of homosexuality.
    2-subtype system: IEI-Fe
    8-subtype system: D-IEI-Fe
    16-subtype system: IEI-ESE

IEI-Fe 2w3 > p6w5 > 8w7 sx/so

"He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living." - Edmond Dantes (The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas père)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

God is dead.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    God is dead.
    Nietzsche is dead.

EDIT

Hey, humblepie, who are you trying to help get laid this time? Or are you being inflammatory for a different reason?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the fucksticks still live on
    black or chinese pope next for the sake of the people in third world countries, repressed to bring some change

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Nietzsche is dead.
    Jerry Falwell is dead.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

At Starr it was weird, there was a lot of right-wing religious people and they shamed guys for liking to masturbate. They really made people feel ultra guilty for natural sexual thoughts. They didn't know how badly they were hurting other people, because it was all done under the intention of 'helping.' Plus if you made one or two mistakes you were jumped all over. It was SOOOOO weird.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    o_O Say what??!!!! Celtic religion was organized well before the arrival of christianity.
    i know yeah i was thinking that after i posted it. OH NO! i look like a fool now.

the point i suppose is that when you take religion and twist it to suit yourself like what has happened with the catholic religion as well as countless othersi is, it makes people forget who they really are. they lose touch with whatever it is that god REALLY is.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Nietzsche is dead.

EDIT

Hey, humblepie, who are you trying to help get laid this time? Or are you being inflammatory for a different reason?
    ha ha. no, that wasn't my aim here. i was watching martin scorsese's new show boardwalk empire the other night. if anyone hasn't seen it, i wont spoil it, but it's set in the 20's and just the way the women were treated back then just really got my goat. so i'm being inflamatory for that reason. i shake my angry fist at the hypocrisy of it all.

i suppose in a way i AM trying to help the world get laid by speaking up against religions that try to say sex is dirty. you can probably find that motivation behind alot of what i say actually, come to think of it, if you look hard enough.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by humblepie View Post
    the point i suppose is that when you take religion and twist it to suit yourself
    This is exactly the problem. It is much harder to fool those that actually pick up the Bible and read it rather than those who blindly follow some religious leader.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    This is exactly the problem. It is much harder to fool those that actually pick up the Bible and read it rather than those who blindly follow some religious leader.
    exactly, it doesn't say anything in the bible about not using condoms or that women can't be priests.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Yeah, I think I understand what you're trying to say. But weren't the Celts weak as well?
    well ok they were conquered and their culture died out but it was replaced by something that caused women to feel themselves inferior to men, it threw everything out of ballance IMO. i just found this, i think it's interesting...

The Roman invasion of Gaul brought a great deal of Celtic peoples into the Roman Empire. Roman culture had a profound effect on the Celtic tribes which came under the empire's control. Roman influence led to many changes in Celtic religion, the most noticeable of which was the weakening of the druid class, especially religiously; the druids were to eventually disappear altogether. Romano-Celtic deities also began to appear: these deities often had both Roman and Celtic attributes and combined the names of Roman and Celtic deities. Other changes included the adaptation of the Jupiter Pole, a sacred pole which was used throughout Celtic regions of the empire, primarily in the north. Another major change in religious practice was the use of stone monuments to represent gods and goddesses. The Celts had only created wooden idols (including monuments carved into trees, which were known as sacred poles) previously to Roman conquest.[96]

[edit] Celtic Christianity
    Main article: Celtic Christianity

A Celtic cross.While the regions under Roman rule adopted Christianity along with the rest of the Roman empire, unconquered areas of Ireland and Scotland moved from Celtic polytheism to Celtic Christianity in the 5th century.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCuckooLander View Post
    Fuck the popelice. Fuck, fuck, fuck the popelice.

In all seriousness, I suppose the papal institution relates to man's hierarchical nature - people feel comforted by being commanded by an old man with a stick and a funny hat. Still, I would much prefer they follow this one:

to this one:

It doesn't help that many changes since Vatican II have liberalized and multiculturalized the church, leading to a banal sort of political correctness and sensitivity to ethnic issues running quite rampant in the clergy, while at the same time they maintain overly (ridiculously) conservative stances on issues like usage of conctraceptives and acceptance of homosexuality.

yeah it's just so bloody banal isn't it. why would anyone take that man and his empire seriously? the man with the beard looks like he has gained some wisdom at least. the pope looks like he's not too sure what he's supposed to use his stick for.

Creepy-male

The Papalcy
    ----------------------------------------------

1) Christianity pre-Constantine

No pope, Christians were feed to lions, they whined about it, but no one gave a shit

2) Late Roman Empire Christianity and the Rise of the Pope

Constantine is in a battle, believes god helped him win, vision leads him to bring Christianity to the roman empire or perhaps is just a nice story to sway the masses, people now give a shit about feeding Christians to lions, organization to the religion is given, the papalcy is inventend, a religious social empire is built by the most prominent political empire (rome), this religious empire has an emporer, the pope

3) Medevial Times (The Rule of the Pope)

Rome gets its ass handed to it in the west, but in the east doesn't, it splits. The east remains a strong political empire, the west retains only its only its religious influence, converting pagan barbarians which now hold the political and military power. These barbarian tribes form kingdoms such as the Holy Roman Empire via the Franks, England is colonized by the Anglo-Saxons, Spain is colonized by the Visigoths, the Vandals have a stint in the Italian Penisula. The western empire brings chrisitianity to these kingdoms, the holy roman empire, france, england, italy and spain being major powers in the medevial era. The Papalcy continues to exert its subtle political influence through religion which periodically conflicts with the military-noble power hierarchy. A social system in which power is split between kings and their kingdom and priests and their papalcy prevails, their are power struggle between the two bodies, but power is centralized in these two institutions, making the pope a key figure in the power structure, the position is sought to be controlled and manipulated by kings, the pope can mobilize nations to war/crusades and affect direct policy through ideological influence.

4) Reformation, Enlightenment (Fuck the Protestants)

Martin luther is a monk, he decides their is alot of bullshit with the church. He posts a thesis criticizing it, opening the gateway for other people's criticisms. The reformation begins and soon people for various reasons move away from the papalcy. This creates a conflict with the pope, now the papalcy is focused on war between europian nations. Political power shifts away from the papalcy to unfold political power based on reason, order, and colonization. The enlightenment age begins, the power structure is fractured between europian nations which were once unified by the papalcy. Alliances are made surrounding national identity (romanticism - over the top nationalism), trade, and colonies. Revolutions occur. Political instability ends when the power structure gives rise to two world wars, bringing in the modern era, industrialization and changing the role of the papalcy.

5) Romanticism to Modern Era (Humanist Advocate)

The papalcy slowly shifts from its protestant vs catholic political influence to a modern humanist advocate position as colonism gives rise the modern era. The pope spends time now partaking in humanitarian efforts, speaking against nazism etc, commenting on issues (evolution etc), and giving people humanitarian comfort, representing the catholic religion as a whole. It remains a relic of the medevial and roman power structure that is no longer necessary in the modern era, much like the british monarchy.

6) The future for the Papalcy (Post-Modernism)

People will begin to spend more time on the internet due to the era of globalization and the advent of the information age. This means more exposure to world religions and a rise in aethism. Hyper-subjectivity and listening to multiple viewpoints becomes even more prevalent, post-colonization means people will no longer impose a viewpoint on another culture but rather listen to their point of view, this creates ambivalence on social issues. This creates two types of people. Morally self-righteous theists quick to criticize others for their lack of acceptance of other cultures as a reaction to their own potential danger of being narrow-minded, and aethists which cite readily their is no universal ideology in this global era. Ambivalence marks both fringes, as well the internet and mass communications and media as a means for information desemination. The pope in specific is photoshopped on the internet and most people loose touch with an interest in the pope since he is reduced to a social advocate for one of many religions. Power shifts to industrial and corporate efforts to globalize and privatize the world. Political power is centralized in United nations and Europian Union like organizations. Once economic and political power is aligned, a global power structure will be created, ambivalent to ideologicaly preference, fueled by global commerce. Common people spend time on the internet, work jobs for massive corporations, and remain ambivalent/confused with social issues - focused more on consumerist pasttimes. Amivalence over social issues creates intellectual confusion and people are reduced to a bunch of kids posting photoshopped pictures on myspace, which corporations like myspace use to bring in great revenue, getting well connected to launch a vy for political power in a globalized power structure. Ideology shifts from custom to religion to humanism to ambivalence, ideology is deseminated through media, social networks, the news, broadcasting, the internet, etc...

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so basically we're all fucked.

Creepy-male

Haha I don't think so, there are a number of models for the future I've considered

What is likely going to contribute to our future is the following

• The information age
    • Social Networking Sites
    • Globalization of Commerce
    • Mass Media (News)
    • The Internet
    • Virtual Socializing
    • Global Infrastructure and Travel
    • Centralization of power (Europian union and the UN)

Each of these elements are all about bringing people together on a global scale, industrial, infrastructurally, and communications wise. The results are going to be melding of various cultures which have remained separate and distinct. I think this will lead to many effects.

• Ideological Ambivalence
    • Disconnection with Reality via Virtual Socializing
    • Mass Consumerism
    • A connection with global corporate power and political organizations much like the connection between the Pope and Kings in Medevial times

Our current era is characterisized differently and will lead into this a variety ways as a result of the new elements presented in our era.

• Human Rights and Secular Humanism Ideology, will lead into ideological ambivalence as a result of the large number of ideologies people are exposed to -- hyper-subjectivity
    • Connection with reality through work and leisure, the modern era going to disney world, going to the mall, etc etc, meeting face to face with people at work will be replaced by internet conferences and online leisure activities. Social networking and text messaging will overtake face to face meetings and telephone conversation, people may talk via webcam but via a virtual world, virtual worlds will lead to further disconnection from earth/reality/nature/people etc... creating further alienation in turn with the ideological ambivalence
    • Modern Era Consumerism spreading from Industrial nations to a global corporate structure, creating one half-positive, a large number of commercially available goods in abundance.
    • Concepts like NAFTA and European Union Economics paves the way for multination governance and international economies and businesses

I don't think people are doomed though because the negative attributes of post-modernisation will lead to a post-post-modern reaction against it. Moral ambivalence will lead to some form of fanaticism or global ideology... virtual worlds may lead to a nostalgic moment or attempt to get more in connection with reality, the global power structure may change the way politics are done, corporations may become the predominant figurehead for power.

I really don't think its going to be all the dramatic though, I've demonized it a little, but probably people will still live and eat and breath, and have relationships etc... just there will probably be more alienation from nature, a mood of ambivalence, and mass consumerism like never seen before.