Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type him?

In the spirit of me trying to understand what the hell I've been doing all these years (what in the hell went wrong? lol), here is an ex of mine for your typing consideration. Please don't quote pix.

Undergrad days:

Typical--reading a book:

Et cetera:

On the far right:

As for personality, man, I have so little objectivity, 'cause back in the day this guy totally broke my heart. (We're still friends, though, albeit distant ones.)

He's now a neuroscientist working in a university setting, but overall his approach is pretty humanistic. He enjoys teaching, whereas many of his fellow scholars don't. Extremely well read, extremely intelligent. Stubborn--sees things his own way, thinks things through in his own manner and has his own particular view of the world. About 50 percent of the time you'll see him reading. (History, psychology, cultural studies, you name it.) Very into his own family heritage.

When he was younger, he and his brainy best friend sat around and played these complicated games they had devised using military strategy and chance--I wasn't too interested and didn't even understand it but thought it was charming. He tended to have something military about him in general--swords, guns, wearing fatigues as part of his everyday clothing, the family kilt, interest in every facet of military history with him identifying with mercenary soldiers, etc.

Not a foreign-language or arts-oriented person.

A southern gentleman, quietly eccentric, goofy sense of humor, holds a lot inside, friendly but keeps to himself a lot and you'll see him one-on-one with people or in small groups related to his longtime interests. (Marksmanship, climbing.) He can be pretty "touchy" and even suspicious, but I don't know if he's like that with everyone.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti ego. Alpha > Beta

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII was my first impression. It's not a strong one though -- maybe 50% certainty. ILI, LSI, and IEI were the other types I considered.
    Quaero Veritas.

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - I think LII is probably a pretty good guess.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Creepy-Snaps

Not great at guessing personality types but LOL @ the 2nd pic. Why would you read a book on a camping trip? Aren't camping trips supposed to be about experiencing the outdoors, experience nature... why read a book, which you can do anywhere, on a camping trip.

He seems deep, the kind of person I'd have a philosophical discussion with, and nice, but a bit nerdy.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Not great at guessing personality types but LOL @ the 2nd pic. Why would you read a book on a camping trip? Aren't camping trips supposed to be about experiencing the outdoors, experience nature... why read a book, which you can do anywhere, on a camping trip.

He seems deep, the kind of person I'd have a philosophical discussion with, and nice, but a bit nerdy.
    Lol, sure, he's definitely deep and totally nerdy, but I really like nerds. Some of my best friends are nerds. *Looks in mirror. Adjusts nerdy glasses.*

This guy is glued to books--as I said, this is the typical way you'll see him. I'm sure he was on a climbing expedition, and during the non-climb part he chose to read.

I dunno about his type, guys. LII is a could-work thing; I'll have to go through all the functions one by one for some of the types suggested and ponder it further. I have a hard time seeing him as a Beneficiary relation, with me as Benefactor, but it might be possible.

LSI is a maybe. IEI is a no-go.

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every xSI I've known has had squinty eyes that seem as if they're focusing with laser beam precision on one thing at a time. He doesn't seem to have that at all, so I doubt LSI. I'm getting more of an intuitive look from him, and based upon your descriptions he seems to have a child-like curiosity about many things even though he's an adult. That seems to put him in Alpha quadra as far as quadra values, specifically Alpha NT. ILEs seem more active and busy, and LIIs are maybe a bit more studious. The scraggily hair and rough looks could indicate a PoLR which would match with an LII. And I don't know why this is, but just about every LII I've known in real life has been on the thin side which is similar to him. The hidden agenda for an LII is , which can be interpreted to mean "to be healthy", which would line up with an LII also. So that's why I think LII.

An LII friend of mine has a similar thinness to him, has a similar never ending curiosity about things and likes to treat a lot of things or learning projects as a game which also seems similar, and his baseline look is similar to your ex here as well.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    Every xSI I've known has had squinty eyes that seem as if they're focusing with laser beam precision on one thing at a time. He doesn't seem to have that at all, so I doubt LSI. I'm getting more of an intuitive look from him, and based upon your descriptions he seems to have a child-like curiosity about many things even though he's an adult. That seems to put him in Alpha quadra as far as quadra values, specifically Alpha NT. ILEs seem more active and busy, and LIIs are maybe a bit more studious. The scraggily hair and rough looks could indicate a PoLR which would match with an LII. And I don't know why this is, but just about every LII I've known in real life has been on the thin side which is similar to him. The hidden agenda for an LII is , which can be interpreted to mean "to be healthy", which would line up with an LII also. So that's why I think LII.

An LII friend of mine has a similar thinness to him, has a similar never ending curiosity about things and likes to treat a lot of things or learning projects as a game which also seems similar, and his baseline look is similar to your ex here as well.
    Thanks. All of that seems well reasoned, and I agree he doesn't seem extremely LSI, and I'll read through all the functions on my own. I agree he could be Alpha>Beta.

This relationship did go down the toilet, but if it was Benefit ... well, the nature of its downward liquid journey doesn't seem to fit with any descriptions I've found of that kind of relation. Hm.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, socionics relationships cover all sorts of relationships so its hard to be completely accurate for every one of them. For example, we can have a beneficiary parent to child, siblings, friends, spouses, boy/girlfriends; all are going to have a different way of playing out socionics wise and even more disparity will rely on the people involved.

Oh and yes, he seems very LII. Reading on a camping trip is very fun too

Creepy-male

LIE?

EDIT

I mean, it seems from the description that you're describing an NT. That you mention how much time he seems to put toward history (and in particular military history, and the wargames) would make me guess LIE. I might be biased because I know a couple of LIEs just like that.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    LIE?

EDIT

I mean, it seems from the description that you're describing an NT. That you mention how much time he seems to put toward history (and in particular military history, and the wargames) would make me guess LIE. I might be biased because I know a couple of LIEs just like that.
    That's an interesting guess. He has some things in common with LIEs, for sure. I think probably LII is a better fit, though. The extraversion just isn't there--and yeah, I know LIEs aren't always ultra-extraverted in the stereotypical sense. But this guy is pretty seriously an intro-. Hm.

I do think he's NT, yeah. He reminds me of some of my INTp friends, but overall he's more grounded than they are, and more intense and stubborn.

I dated an LIE once, and there are some things about this relationship that vaguely remind me of it. This was a whole lot better, but there was some kind of crossed-signals thing going on all the time.
    Last edited by golden; 10-13-2010 at 12:22 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    well, socionics relationships cover all sorts of relationships so its hard to be completely accurate for every one of them. For example, we can have a beneficiary parent to child, siblings, friends, spouses, boy/girlfriends; all are going to have a different way of playing out socionics wise and even more disparity will rely on the people involved.

Oh and yes, he seems very LII. Reading on a camping trip is very fun too
    Yeah, I had another VI thread up here with a female friend, and people guessed LII. Even though that relationship was very positive, I could understand a way in which it functioned as Benefit.

But as I let it sit, it does seem that LII makes the most sense here. So I can work backward from that to try to understand HOW this relationship was Beneficiary.

I suppose it's true that I have often been perplexed that he seems to find me threatening in some way, because that is pretty unusual in my relationships with men. He always seemed to think I had some kind of agenda with him, which was not at all the case. It was very frustrating. I caught up with him a few months ago at dinner, and even after years of going separate ways and being distant platonic friends, I got the impression he suspected me of trying to seduce him, and was putting up his guard against me because of it, and I soooo was not interested in anything more than seeing an old friend. In fact, I found the whole thing very upsetting and uncomfortable. This kind of confusion underlay the relationship always and is part of why I posted this thread.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly what i was thinking too actually!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see LII or LIE, and even ILE seems possible.

based on the pictures I wanted to say E > I, but the overall description makes me think LII more.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    I could see LII or LIE, and even ILE seems possible.

based on the pictures I wanted to say E > I, but the overall description makes me think LII more.
    Thanks for the input. I find the photos interesting, because they don't reflect how he spends the majority of his time--i.e., doing research, and reading voraciously. These photos were mostly taken by friends in situations when he was doing something more social and active. But I'm almost certain he's introverted, to the extent that if you pull him out of whatever he's concentrating on alone, he can get sort of testy. I do that too, sometimes.

I'm thinking that LII is probably correct, but I'm not ready to rule out LIE. ILE does not seem right--there's just something heavier and more inward about him to me, and the functional ordering seems out of whack for ILE.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you kidding? Outside in the peace and quiet of nature is the best place to read a book! Other than, perhaps, in front of a roaring fireplace on a cold winter's night.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been known to go into the woods to ... read a book! lol

But I wasn't gonna admit it until you guys made me feel okay about it. :redface:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I usually prefer to read books by the pool or on my couch where there aren't as many bugs but hey, each to his own.

My first guess with VI before I read the description was ILE. But I can see LII too.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ???
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahahahaha this made me laugh, cause whenever i go camping i always bring a few books to read. Something about the peacefulness of being outdoors, freedom in reading, excites the imagination and is quite relaxing at the same timeeee

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that he's ISTp; there's a very slight chance of INTp, but I wouldn't type him any other type then those two.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would you read a book on a camping trip? Aren't camping trips supposed to be about experiencing the outdoors, experience nature... why read a book, which you can do anywhere, on a camping trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    That's exactly what i was thinking too actually!
    You people. I love camping, but I will not let it be ruined by not letting me read or have my me-time. It looks like he's reading a hiking book though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that he's ISTp; there's a very slight chance of INTp, but I wouldn't type him any other type then those two.
    Omg maritsa, you're not sure that he's ISTp, you're sure that he has a normal head like every other guy. Stop poisoning the forum.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fe PoLR makes ISTp men very "touchy" and the S in their signature makes them into "details" of their study and Fi role makes them mimick the humanitarian nature of the deltas
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html