Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 106

Thread: Reinin's Book

  1. #1
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by silke; 07-14-2016 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added link
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  2. #2
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This book is awesome. Started reading it last night.

  3. #3
    CILi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To anyone in the know:

    Does Reinin's functional model (1st/2nd/3rd/4th, Plus/Minus) sync up pretty well with Model A, or is it better to interpret this stuff with a completely blank slate?

    I pulled an all-nighter to (more or less) finish the thing; and, surprisingly, really, really liked it, as he described and defined types/functions/relations in ways I've never really seen or heard before. Hence, the question: Is that because he's looking at things from a very different angle, or is he just kinda flat-out wrong?

  4. #4
    six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    DC area, US
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cool. Will download this onto my iPad.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

  5. #5
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can only voice for myself, but that's (I mean - the one in this book) definitely the best ENTj description I've read. Captures many essential aspects which aren't usually explained by, say, socionics.org descriptions.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  6. #6
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm sorry to say the EII description is not as "full" as many of the others, but the ILE description was honestly the best I've read. Every detail about it fits me to a T, which is never the case in other type descriptions I read, and not the case in any other of these descriptions from the book. I always score ILE in Reinin dichotomies.

    Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    To anyone in the know:

    Does Reinin's functional model (1st/2nd/3rd/4th, Plus/Minus) sync up pretty well with Model A, or is it better to interpret this stuff with a completely blank slate?

    I pulled an all-nighter to (more or less) finish the thing; and, surprisingly, really, really liked it, as he described and defined types/functions/relations in ways I've never really seen or heard before. Hence, the question: Is that because he's looking at things from a very different angle, or is he just kinda flat-out wrong?
    I would guess yes it does compute, though it has its different focuses and interpretations (and description-wise I would conclude it accurate) but he basically collaborated with Aushra about the theory, to where Reinin dichotomies were considered Classical Socionics, and she approved of much of his research. An angle such as Fe dominants constantly involving and adapting themselves in the relationship aspect, so they can better "act" accordingly, versus Fi dominants staying true to their personal attitudes toward people (with possibly some deeper explanation of Fi), which essentially stems a different definition of the word "relationship" if I'm not mistaken, and let's think about static and dynamic, seems quite reasonable and valid to me.

  7. #7
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    To anyone in the know:

    Does Reinin's functional model (1st/2nd/3rd/4th, Plus/Minus) sync up pretty well with Model A, or is it better to interpret this stuff with a completely blank slate?

    I pulled an all-nighter to (more or less) finish the thing; and, surprisingly, really, really liked it, as he described and defined types/functions/relations in ways I've never really seen or heard before. Hence, the question: Is that because he's looking at things from a very different angle, or is he just kinda flat-out wrong?
    IMO, he's got a lot of things very right, and I do like the model he uses better. The symmetry of it helps explain the elements in their functional spots better for me. The polr (-3 function in the steering wheel model) is described as problem-solving, rather than some sort of massive weak area, which is more accurate as far as I've seen, and it's the DS that is a vulnerability for us, because we're so dependent on others here, which is true. You don't have to forget about model A to use/interpret it, but a few things have a different slant or focus.

    PS. There used to be a visual of the steering wheel model on socionics.com I think. It's not there anymore.
    Last edited by squark; 10-11-2010 at 11:11 PM.

  8. #8
    "Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    near Russia
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Damn, It is 1 am and I have work to do, but I'm just reading this book.

    Who translated it? Where does it come from?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Best Descriptions Ever.

    “The world should live in harmony, people deserve to be happy", says a Robespierre, "so let's take a guillotine and chop off heads of all bad people who hamper our creation so that only good ones remain and everyone will be happy. Let's build a society free of the bad people, oppression, violence, injustice … But this purpose is achieved by means of a guillotine”. This is how this type expresses his creativity.

    Fuck yeaaaaaaa.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  10. #10
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Best Descriptions Ever.

    “The world should live in harmony, people deserve to be happy", says a Robespierre, "so let's take a guillotine and chop off heads of all bad people who hamper our creation so that only good ones remain and everyone will be happy. Let's build a society free of the bad people, oppression, violence, injustice … But this purpose is achieved by means of a guillotine”. This is how this type expresses his creativity.

    Fuck yeaaaaaaa.
    Sarcasm? Sounds like a description based on a single historical person who was psychopathic and quite likely not an INTj to begin with.

  11. #11
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No it's reinen's way of focusing on LII's tendency to use binary logic to put all people in a good and bad category. Robespierre is indeed LII, or at the very least his entire historical persona was written to make him look like an LII (lulz). Also, everyone has the potential to commit acts that others would call "psychopathic", depending on circumstances they find themselves in. Calling him psychopathic does not differentiate him from everyone else involved in events such as revolutions, or even your average Joe in the modern day. He did what he had to do.

    I'm tired of people referring to all killing as psychopathic and murderous. It really is necessary sometimes.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  12. #12
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No it's reinen's way of focusing on LII's tendency to use binary logic to put all people in a good and bad category.
    No idea what on earth you're talking about. Most people are in a grey area and it's not even ever a given that one's own actions - no matter how well intended - have net positive effect on the world. INTjs are typically 'wise' enough to realize this. Also binary logic is Te.

    ps. stop attributing your personal character flaws to type

  13. #13
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I'm tired of people referring to all killing as psychopathic and murderous. It really is necessary sometimes.
    Killing is only ever necessary in self-defense. If you need to kill to make people accept the perfect little society you drew up on a napkin, that makes you a murderer. Maybe not a psychopath, and you might be right in the end, but certainly nuts.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  14. #14
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Killing is only ever necessary in self-defense. If you need to kill to make people accept the perfect little society you drew up on a napkin, that makes you a murderer. Maybe not a psychopath, and you might be right in the end, but certainly nuts.
    So what makes your view that killing is only necessary in self-defense different to the view that killing is necessary for the realisation of utopia?

  15. #15
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More like morally acceptable than necessary.

  16. #16
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    So what makes your view that killing is only necessary in self-defense different to the view that killing is necessary for the realisation of utopia?
    Certainty about the consequences. Add to it that a Utopia may not be desirable in the end.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  17. #17
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha. That's a good example for LII binary logic crispy, as well as LII imagination, partly because I know some LIIs who'd say basically the same things . That doesn't mean they actually go around killing people lol, its a metaphor ("guillotine"). They might side with the morals of those who've killed bad people, just as much as they'd side with the death of an institution or a person delivering the principle in a metaphysical sense, by something as simple as repression or running from evil (or see the Se description), the more justice for the world in their imaginary ideal, which isn't less normal or realistic than the world we live in now. They accept that the rules are meant to be broken in order to achieve a rational purpose. You have to understand this analogy from the unique LII point of view of creative Ne. It doesn't imply that everyone thinks these things about LIIs, or of course that all LIIs would, just those who understand the internal mechanics of their logic can see how they would come to non-standard conclusions about scenarios they've only been thinking about from a detached point of view.

  18. #18
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Also binary logic is Te.
    Oh, so True/False is Te as well? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    ps. stop attributing your personal character flaws to type
    I didn't mention any of my character flaws in this thread. Stop ignoring the spectrum of thoughts/activities your type is capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Killing is only ever necessary in self-defense.
    Overthrowing Oppression is a form of Self Defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Add to it that a Utopia may not be desirable in the end.
    Contradictory to the definition of Utopia. This one gave me a nice chuckle.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  19. #19
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Overthrowing Oppression is a form of Self Defense.
    Is this the same train of thought that led you to persuading discojoe(so I've heard) to hack the16types.info?

  20. #20
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nope. Nobody I've been in contact with knows how to hack, certainly not Discojoe. The most I've seen him do is post those dirty pictures until he got banned.
    If by persuading you mean "laughing at the idea of" then yes, I have done that numerous times. But there is no logical reason for me to want to hack/harm this website.
    Real oppression is impossible to accomplish on the intertubes luuullllzzz.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  21. #21
    I'm a Ti-Te! Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    US
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That LII description was perhaps the worst I've ever read. Most of it just disgusted me that they would project the actions of one man over all LIIs.

    Like take the following for instance;

    Quote Originally Posted by book View Post
    "The world is the way I see it. If you have evidence that it's not the way I see it, too bad for the world. Anyway it's not my business; just keep your opinion to yourself. I think the world should be exactly how I see it."
    What the fuck?

  22. #22
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Overthrowing Oppression is a form of Self Defense.
    By causing more oppression?

    Contradictory to the definition of Utopia. This one gave me a nice chuckle.
    Only if your "Utopia" is defined in the first to be mostly desirable to everyone at every point in time.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  23. #23
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    By causing more oppression?
    I'm sure that was nowhere near his intent.

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Only if your "Utopia" is defined in the first to be mostly desirable to everyone at every point in time.
    Of course it is. That is what is aimed for at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    What the fuck?
    Surprised? There's personal subjective logic for ya. And Te-Ignoring.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  24. #24
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I'm sure that was nowhere near his intent.
    Of course it is. That is what is aimed for at least.
    Hence certainty.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  25. #25
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is not 100% certainty in a regular self defense situation.
    Bad guy is attempting to kill your family.
    You decide to stop him.
    Your family is dead.
    You attack.
    Bad guy is dead.
    You go to jail for murder, because you attacked too late (not self-defense anymore).

    Your waiting for a 100% certainty (because clearly there were more unseen consequences) would end with a worse situation. The mother fucker got away.

    (I didn't know there were so many people against the death penalty here: "Nobody's really bad!": poor mislead souls.)
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  26. #26
    Creepy-male

    Default

    SEI description what.

    It's probably explanation enough for what I was reading that Julius Caesar was listed as a celebrity SEI.

  27. #27
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are two lists of Celebrities for each type in the book. One is from Reinen, and one is horribly wrong (The ALL CAPS ones I believe). I would ignore the famous descriptions and focus on the theoretical points (which are correct). Works just like all socionics articles.

    Proof: Carl Jung is listed under both LII and ILI.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  28. #28
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I would ignore the famous descriptions and focus on the theoretical points (which are correct).
    Which are relatively frequently wrong, disputable, or clouded in poor choice of wording; that is to say, while some points are correct, these are the minority.

    DISAPPOINTMENT.

    or c) I am not a Dumas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Proof: Carl Jung is listed under both LII and ILI.
    I believe at this juncture we have reached an accord that the type of Carl Jung is indisputably ILI.

    /necromeme

  29. #29
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Which are relatively frequently wrong, disputable, or clouded in poor choice of wording; that is to say, while some points are correct, these are the minority.

    DISAPPOINTMENT.

    or c) I am not a Dumas.



    I believe at this juncture we have reached an accord that the type of Carl Jung is indisputably ILI.

    /necromeme
    If you got the time I'd read the other 15 descriptions as well. Some said they differentiated the types better than anything linked before.

    I'm certain Jung is either ILI or LII, leaning towards ILI.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  30. #30
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Some said they differentiated the types better than anything linked before.
    I'm not following. Why would I want to do that?

  31. #31
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    What the fuck?
    You don't relate to that part? All Ti types do more or less, but LIIs being obstinate coupled with Ti dominance should have all the reason to relate to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Surprised? There's personal subjective logic for ya. And Te-Ignoring.
    Exactly. LIIs are subjectivists. The description is actually fine, and I'm still surprized by the quality of most of these descriptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I'm certain Jung is either ILI or LII, leaning towards ILI.
    You're still leaning ILI for that analytical and structured mind, after reading this ILI description? Or is it something else?

  32. #32
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    I'm not following. Why would I want to do that?
    I didn't know if your lone option C was rhetorical or a considered plausibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    You're still leaning ILI for that analytical and structured mind, after reading this ILI description? Or is it something else?
    I haven't thoroughly read the whole thing yet (too much work this week, prolly get to it on the weekend). Most sources say ILI > LII, so it's my best guess (+ he admitted in interview he was NT, and I is pretty obvious). When I read some of his works back-to-back with INTx descriptions I'll be able to come up with a more personal conclusion.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  33. #33
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I haven't thoroughly read the whole thing yet (too much work this week, prolly get to it on the weekend). Most sources say ILI > LII, so it's my best guess (+ he admitted in interview he was NT, and I is pretty obvious). When I read some of his works back-to-back with INTx descriptions I'll be able to come up with a more personal conclusion.
    Heh, I should hope so. Also, study some of the other ILIs and LIIs he types.

  34. #34
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I didn't know if your lone option C was rhetorical or a considered plausibility.
    It was a joke in reference to a passage from the SEI description.

    "If this type chooses to take a look at their psyche then things may go in three different ways: a) he scratches the surface of his inner self, but he has an impression he reached the bottom; b) he studied only ideas about oneself; c) this is not a Dumas."

  35. #35
    Creepy-male

    Default

    I reread it without scoffing at the SEEs listed as SEIs (Presley, Caesar) in the back of my mind, and it's actually an alright description now that I stop to think about the things I disagree with.

  36. #36
    I'm a Ti-Te! Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    US
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What I meant by posting that is that the description is just ridiculous.

    'If you have evidence that it's not the way I see it, too bad for the world. '
    =
    'If you are right, I do not care'

    That's a reasonable description of insanity, stupidity, ignorance, etc.

    And even if they're supposed to be abstract descriptions I still don't see how that even translates to any individual person who has that personality type. It's like the ridiculous projections about careless violence and harm caused by a burning desire to enforce 'justice'.

  37. #37
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    What I meant by posting that is that the description is just ridiculous.

    'If you have evidence that it's not the way I see it, too bad for the world. '
    =
    'If you are right, I do not care'

    That's a reasonable description of insanity, stupidity, ignorance, etc.

    And if they're supposed to be abstract descriptions I still don't see how that even translates to any individual person who has that personality type. It's like the ridiculous projections about careless violence and harm caused by a burning desire to enforce 'justice'.
    My question to you is: are you LII? It doesn't make sense to criticise a description of a type that is not yours, and in fact a description that has been positively evaluated by a person of that type.

    Especially if you're across the Merry/Serious divide, what to you sounds like "insanity, stupidity, ignorance, etc." is just a difference in how logical information gets processed. It's nonsensical to pass such judgements, seemingly as an arbiter of what Truth is.

  38. #38
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    What I meant by posting that is that the description is just ridiculous.

    'If you have evidence that it's not the way I see it, too bad for the world. '
    =
    'If you are right, I do not care'

    That's a reasonable description of insanity, stupidity, ignorance, etc.

    And even if they're supposed to be abstract descriptions I still don't see how that even translates to any individual person who has that personality type. It's like the ridiculous projections about careless violence and harm caused by a burning desire to enforce 'justice'.
    Lol. Yeah you're not LII. I don't agree with your equation, since when is evidence and proof an automatic justification for the truth? Hehe. (especially when the truth is not of a current situation or understanding, but a rational ideal forged by the principles sought with Ne.)

  39. #39
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    'If you are right, I do not care'
    That's not what it says. It's read: "If you have a piece of evidence that goes against my understanding, I don't care, because my understanding is still correct. The evidence is misleading and does not describe the way the world generally works (as I have come to know)."

    Nowhere does he admit he is wrong. We rarely do.

    Edit: Sorry for dog pile-ing on you.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  40. #40
    2 EVIL I golden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Several stories high
    TIM
    EIE prob 6
    Posts
    2,969
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll have to reread it--skimmed some parts--but I appreciated that the type descriptions weren't just total regurgitations of things I'd already read. Although weaknesses are still being pointed out, it seemed to me that the IEI description was a little less stereotypically "useless head-in-clouds easygoing person" than some I've encountered. Heh--even if I am that (except the easygoing part), I'm other things, too.

    I liked the way that the various functions are arranged to show how to address weaknesses and blind spots indirectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •