Thread: Independence

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Independence

For the longest time, I was "uncertain" about being comfortable with spending so much time by myself. Even though I didn't prefer, necessarily, spending time with other people, I was aware that I was always very much on the outside of things, and, of course, this generated an uncomfortable self-concept.

But now, obviously over time, things have changed so much in that regard. I see people clining to each other like it's some sort of ... thing... that your life depended on. It's somewhat amusing. I do understand the practical matters of having others around, especially in emergency situations. But other than that, it seems as though others are generally a liability, or just get in the way.

I'm sure there are a lot of personality type implications here, but, I was wondering how other people feel about this, and similar. I wonder if it a product of my experience that I feel very comfortable by myself (not that I totally dispise time with others... as long as they are associations of my own selective choosing)(I can get along with "co-workers" reasonably well, for the sake of the work environment, but I'm extrememly conservative when it comes to personal means).

Sometimes I wonder why I seem to be one of the few people who is this way- in a deeper way that just how personality types function.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independence

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    , but I'm extrememly conservative when it comes to personal means).

Conservative how?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian

Conservative how?
    What do you think I meant? I'll play "hot and cold" on those terms, if you want.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conservative how?
    What do you think I meant? I'll play "hot and cold" on those terms, if you want.
    Conservative as in cheap or as in values?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought of myself as highly independent but recently i've been trying to reach out more and to try to accept that sometimes, it's nicer to have people in your life. I'm not saying it's 'wrong' to want independence..far from it. I just used to be so angry and bitter and against people but once you let them in, it's not such a bad thing to have them around.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conservative how?
    Conservative as in cheap or as in values?
    "cheap"?
    Values, mostly. I didn't even consder cheap (like money cheap?). Values, as in, a formality of restraint, reliing upon one's self, things like that. I'm conservative with myself, I don't spread myself around, in terms of interacting with others. I have a more traditional view of family, I suppose, though I am relatively removed from my own, in general terms. But I like "traditional values" in that regard.

Politically speaking, I'm independant, of course. More moderate than anything else, I guess. Too far l eft or right looses balance.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I always thought of myself as highly independent but recently i've been trying to reach out more and to try to accept that sometimes, it's nicer to have people in your life. I'm not saying it's 'wrong' to want independence..far from it. I just used to be so angry and bitter and against people but once you let them in, it's not such a bad thing to have them around.
    I'm not angry nor bitter, to be honest. I expressed some dislike for "the college crowd" of people, and people being so typical, in general. But there is generally no malace towards others. I just don't actively seek to make social contact(s) with others.

I used to be uneasy about this. But now I can have just as much confidence going solo, even in more social settings. (I still refuse to sit down at a typical dinning hall, though. That is meant for groups, and I don't typically travel in packs). It's a different sort of coming to terms with myself, perhaps. Not sure yet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember reading a report on happiness a while ago, the 2 things that were the biggest factors in whether people were happy with their lives were (1) frequent contact with friends, family and people in general (2) the feeling that you are in control of your own life, that you can change things in your life if you want to.

People are important to us all, humans are social beings by default, I am very independent and always have been, but without others in your life, life is significantly worse. I have trouble like most ISTp's reaching out to people, but most people are friendly and happy to meet a new face if you give them a chance. I'm finding this easier as time goes on, and it's a great thing.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!