Thread: False Pride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default False Pride

My boss made me come to the realization that I'm egotistical and fail to take responsibility for my actions towards my subordinates and seem to continue to pass blame. Although it was an embarrassing conversation to have, I've felt more mature coming to this realization. Is it more likely for T types to logically indulge themselves in false pride and fail to admit any wrongdoings or apologize compared to F types?

Feel free to share your own thoughts.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In high school, I had this ENTp friend whos ISTj dad drove us to the movies and offered to drive us back. But there was a misunderstanding as to where he should have picked us up, and when he found us, I admitted right away that it had just been a misunderstanding, no big deal, we didnt know where he wanted us to be when he picked us up. But my friend wouldnt admit to it and kept on saying we had been in the right place even though we hadnt and this made his dad furious saying "WHY YOU LYING TO ME MICHAEL!?" and it got really heated between those two. Meanwhile i was tring to calm them both down the whole time saying "look Mike we screwed up no big deal" etc but Mike just wouldnt hear me out! He kept lying when it was obvious we had been wrong, just to avoid admitting he had screwed up something which was really no big deal. Stupid.

I have another experience where an ENTp bus driver missed the busstop i was supposed to get down at, and wouldnt admit it saying "you can get off at the next one". An ENTj bus driver, on the same route, missed the same stop even though like in the previous case i rung the button to get off at that stop and he(the ENTj) admitted flat out "Im distracted sorry can I let you off here?"

I dont know what this all points to all I know is that ENTps dont like admitting their mistakes lol, even if its childish.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's really related to being a T type, but it may be related to be being ENTj. I can relate, plus:

Quote Originally Posted by socionics.org (ENTj)
    Pathological resistance affect, vindictive and vengeful, sensitive to details is not offended, but when the hurt feelings, pride, honor, morbidly touchy. Affects on the level of selfish motives, the desire for justice for himself, conceit, arrogance, ambition, self-confidence. Incentives always enough, there are suspicions, jealousy, perversity, litigation, stubbornness, dive into the optimistic dreams, overvalued ideas, die-hards. Do not have a penchant for self-inspiration, ambition - the drive to an excellent labor and creative performance. In the early years characterized by outstanding achievements in various fields, not just starting from scratch and achieves success. Man idea, ever growing fear, is actively involved in their treatment, "a fanatic of justice, perversity and does not tolerate opposition.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know what this all points to all I know is that ENTps dont like admitting their mistakes lol, even if its childish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Gulenko on ENTp
    ENTps like to explore everything and are usually completely unaware of how others react to this. They often propose ideas that although have great potential are completely impractical at the time. As usual, they soon forget about that idea and generate a new one, which has no less potential and originality but has no logical connection with the previous. ENTps pay little or no respect to their past achievements. They hardly ever admit when they are at fault. Even if they apologise formally they usually continue to behave the same as before.
    The ENTp PoLR is all about refusing to take responsibility.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    The ENTp PoLR is all about refusing to take responsibility.
    Interesting that you say that... can also be about taking responsibility, in a somewhat different sense; "Responsibility" does carry rather strong overtones, but accuracy can easily lead to the same thing.

I think that such unwillingness to acknowledge mistakes is the result of insecurity - if you don't think that you can endure the consequences of accepting the blame, then you have to throw it off somehow. If you don't really know what the consequences are, then it because very easy to try to throw off blame (and end up causing bigger problems) when it's really no big deal. The super-ego does easily lead to insecurity, though...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Average ILEs don't like to admit mistakes, but they know about them (are deeply aware) all the same and try to correct them for the future.

We don't like to be held down and have others guilt tripping us by using the mistake to attack our character. Or to appear foolish in front of others.

But coming back to Brilliand's point about insecurity, if it's done in an open-ended and non-judgmental environment (hint: Ne valuing and Se devaluing; bigger hint: ISFps) then we usually don't mind admitting mistakes.

That's based on personal experience btw.

It's not beyond an actualized ILE to admit mistakes in a judgmental environment, either.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any pride is false pride.
    Last edited by Park; 09-30-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Average ILEs don't like to admit mistakes, but they know about them (are deeply aware) all the same and try to correct them for the future.

We don't like to be held down and have others guilt tripping us by using the mistake to attack our character. Or to appear foolish in front of others
    My relative disdain towards that behavior (particularly about not wanting to openly admit mistakes and being criticized) is probably a good indicator I don't belong to an quadra.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunning?Kruger effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which an unskilled person makes poor decisions and reaches erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.[1] The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority. This leads to the situation in which less competent people rate their own ability higher than more competent people. It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[2]
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Any pride is false pride.
    Not true. Dont you know acheivements can lead to true pride?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gobearcats View Post
    My boss made me come to the realization that I'm egotistical and fail to take responsibility for my actions towards my subordinates and seem to continue to pass blame. Although it was an embarrassing conversation to have, I've felt more mature coming to this realization. Is it more likely for T types to logically indulge themselves in false pride and fail to admit any wrongdoings or apologize compared to F types?

Nobody's boss is going to make you admit these things to yourself. I think your messing with us. How do you come to such an epiphany, given your egotistical tendencies?
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've never had this issue.
    Not sure if its even type related. Sounds like its related to immaturity.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    My relative disdain towards that behavior (particularly about not wanting to openly admit mistakes and being criticized) is probably a good indicator I don't belong to an quadra.
    IME with ILE's growing up, what jxrtes posted is right on the mark. It takes a great deal of patience to deal with them when they make these ethical slips. I've learned over the years to just stay silent when this happens than the ILE's will say something unrelated to break the ice as a means for realizing they crossed the line
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Dance Magic Dance CloudCuckooLander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's really related to being a T type. I'm an F type, and I'm freakishly egotistical. I absolutely refuse to admit wrongdoing in any situation. I've even been known to think "I didn't do anything wrong! The situation was just wrong! The rest of the universe is wrong!" on a very regular basis. I'm so vain, I probably think this post is about me - fancy that, it is.

I also outright will not apologize, ever, the only exception being when I end up wronging a close friend. In those cases, I'll act stubborn about it for several days, even weeks, but will then tearfully and deeply emotionally apologize eventually, often offering a gift or something else to make up for it.