TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I've got an MBTI ISTP on my ass

Howdy!

I am in this discussion when this ISTP (ISTj) is bugging me and saying that socionics is a twisted and abused version of MBTI!

He says some things that I, which don't know all that much about socionics, cant really answer.

The arguments he puts forth is:

They have switched the valuation function P,J. Why? He and another guy have said earlier something like "I am a P, me and my P friends go and improvise everything! Yeah! My room is a total disaster but I know where everything is!!" Dunno about this, "we" dont see P,J as a function, right?

He critizised when I said that "Another thing about socionics is that it's easier knowing Why/how and it is mostly the relations that is interesting. I can sometimes type someone really quick with just knowing my type and recognizing the relation I had with that person"
    He thinks that is not a benefit. It is like a little hobby-psychologist kit. Everything is quick and easy. It won't work on a theoretical basis, the theories are there for each one to interpret and turn into your own practice.
    He also brought up the usual, "you even mix into appearance and clothing"

He won't buy the socionics theories because they have tried to make concrete and general conclusions. And in addition they've tried to "pare up" different types and then pre-decide relationships that's absurd in his eyes.

another thing you could explain to me..
    The J,P differences is wheter your main functions is directed outwards or inwards.

Well, it might be a bit unstructured but I'll hope I can get some realizations and increase my knowledge further and put that socionics hater where he belong!
    is like a wet kiss on the cheek and a warm hug by a cute smiling girl.
    is the confetti shots on your birthday party with all your friends.
    is a way to completely rip apart the face of god and stare directly at the naked universe.
    is like over here and then over there and they are all connected and I am on amphetamine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I've got an MBTI ISTP on my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Superman
    Howdy!

I am in this discussion when this ISTP (ISTj) is bugging me and saying that socionics is a twisted and abused version of MBTI!

He says some things that I, which don't know all that much about socionics, cant really answer.

The arguments he puts forth is:

They have switched the valuation function P,J. Why? He and another guy have said earlier something like "I am a P, me and my P friends go and improvise everything! Yeah! My room is a total disaster but I know where everything is!!" Dunno about this, "we" dont see P,J as a function, right?

He critizised when I said that "Another thing about socionics is that it's easier knowing Why/how and it is mostly the relations that is interesting. I can sometimes type someone really quick with just knowing my type and recognizing the relation I had with that person"
    He thinks that is not a benefit. It is like a little hobby-psychologist kit. Everything is quick and easy. It won't work on a theoretical basis, the theories are there for each one to interpret and turn into your own practice.
    He also brought up the usual, "you even mix into appearance and clothing"

He won't buy the socionics theories because they have tried to make concrete and general conclusions. And in addition they've tried to "pare up" different types and then pre-decide relationships that's absurd in his eyes.

another thing you could explain to me..
    The J,P differences is wheter your main functions is directed outwards or inwards.

Well, it might be a bit unstructured but I'll hope I can get some realizations and increase my knowledge further and put that socionics hater where he belong!
    p or j are not functions in themsleves, rationality or irrationality are just ways to classify the functions. s/n are irrational, f/t are rational.

as if mbti isn't pop-psychology. it is as much of a "fun bag" as anything else.

that guy sounds like a douche. only enthusiasts can pick on socionics.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Clearance level: 10 (9 is maximum) Fermi's Avatar
    TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is a douche?
    is a way to completely rip apart the face of god and stare directly at the naked universe.
    is like over here and then over there and they are all connected and I am on amphetamine.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Ahoy!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AH, finally, the proper way to describe MBTI-- "pop psychology". I was looking for a good term like that.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isnt there a rational/irrational group?
    Where can I read more about it? There should be something

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zem

Ahoy!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche
    Slang uses

The term "douche bag" can be used as an exasperated exclamation to describe or insult another person, e.g. "That guy is such a douche bag!"

Terms such as douche bag, douche nozzle, douche cake and just plain douche are also popular derogatory terms of insult or ridicule in North America. These terms have become popular in the comedic media, and can mean a variety of different insults:

* Someone who is annoying, bossy or embarrassing.
    * Someone who is stupid, intellectually challenged or mentally deranged but less than clinically insane.
    * Someone who is unintelligently lying or scamming.
    * Someone who is arrogant, elitist or snobby.
    * Someone whom you don't like.
    * Someone who is socially inept.
    * Someone whos vagina is particularly clean and orderly.
    Hmm, I never considered it as a sort of backhanded compliment...
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on here! this is a battle versus the MBTI losers!

Let's bring up the best and crush those bastards!! Let's make use of our superior knowledge of their PoLR!! or something...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, if you read more, you'll find that it's not as simple as switching P/J. If you look at many sites on Socionics, you'll see that they tend to have information about what are seen as characteristics of irrational and rational types. These descriptions sound very much like the MBTI descriptions of P and J.

However, Socionics involves a slightly different model of behavior. In the Myers-Briggs theory, the terms Perceiving and Judging are used to describe whether the person's extraverted function (whether dominant or auxillary) is rational (T/F) or irrational (N/S). In Socionics, P/J are used to describe if a person's dominant function is rational or irrational.

Bottom line: Socionics believes that an introvert whose first two functions are and will display behaviors such as orderliness, decisiveness, a tendency to want decisions to be fixed etc., whereas MBTI would predict behaviors such as flexibility, open-endedness, etc.

Note that the definitions of what consititutes the dominant (first) function, as well as the definitions of all of the functions and pretty much everything, are slightly different between the two theories.

By the way, how do you know the person is an ISTP or ISTj?

TIM
    entp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He told me so..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He told me so..
    Superman, send this guy over to Delta. We'll deal with him.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.