Thread: Beta NF, how strong is your sense of good and evil?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beta NF, how strong is your sense of good and evil?

Do you think it stronger than other types, or about the same?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely stronger.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, I see good and evil as very complex. I always try to understand what makes people behave the way they do. And I think that if I were more categorical--Hey, that guy's evil! And therefore I will avoid him!--my life would be a lot simpler. It would have been easier for me to dismiss people when they clearly weren't good to me or good for me. I tend to look past things like a person's behaviors and station in life to get a sense of their ideas and their intentions. I can't say I've ever been wrong, but I have foolishly put up with some very poor behavior!

It's not that I think people aren't responsible for their actions. Rather, I guess I see "evil" actions as arising from things that individuals are unconscious of, or that society as a whole is unable to fathom.

What I dislike about "good and evil" may come down to being raised in the Deep South, where I was surrounded by an awful lot of people who accepted biblical definitions of right and wrong and were quick to apply them to their fellow humans. (And slow to apply them to themselves.) Maybe in response to that, I tend to avoid the idea of "good/evil" altogether.

My worldview includes like eighty shades of gray, and not a lot of black or white.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go stronger. I think I can feel "evil" pretty strongly. I think I consider different things evil than most people.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I should clarify.

I have zero strict definition of what constitutes good and evil, but when something is evil, it is obvious to me and I feel very strongly about it.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Evil is fought mostly within. Therefore, it makes sense to me that the types most prone to good in the world are the types that are the most self-reflective and introverted, and with the biggest inner worlds. That way, when they do take action, it will have a lot less negative consequences because they've already dealt with their inner shadow a lot.

More extroverted types, like esfj for example are too much on the 'human doing' spectrum, and they're likely to fuck things up via good intentions, because they don't self-reflect enough. They focus on others almost constantly. And they will be very quick to help another person, not realizing they are most likely harming that person indirectly. The more you want to (truly) help others, the more you gotta help yourself. The more you want to (truly) change the world, the more you have to change yourself.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Uh, I see good and evil as very complex.
    I used to agree with you. But good and evil isn't that complex to me. When somebody is doing something wrong, everybody knows- but nobody really has the backbone to do anything about it. Standing up to evil is pretty badass, and so its gonna take some balls to do it.

The problem is essentially, people are lacking courage.

I think I can feel "evil" pretty strongly. I think I consider different things evil than most people.
    Because you are a sensitive faggy IEI and a self-reflective type. You understand better when somebody is fucking up morally than other types, though everybody has access to those things, its just more potent with us. I don't think you view evil as 'different' than other people, evil is evil is evil- you just sense it better.

IEIs are naturally born with +100 bonus damage to the undead.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I used to agree with you. But good and evil isn't that complex to me. When somebody is doing something wrong, everybody knows- but nobody really has the backbone to do anything about it. Standing up to evil is pretty badass, and so its gonna take some balls to do it.
    That's amusing to me--sincerely--because I used to agree with you!

The only other thing I can say is that I have been in the same room with this man, before he was ever elected to any office:

And I was hit by one gigantic whooshing blast of evil. But I didn't try to take him down. Missed my chance.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

God. I swear I hate some liberals. Like, if I was being raped and killed by a sociopathoic homophobic republican demon with a 15 inch cock and demonic powers, they would sit there and hold their hands and wave and instead of TKing the demon off me. They would be all mealy mouthed and would tell me "Well Sammy, George Bush has feelings too! He probably felt left out of high school just like you did, why don't you show some compassion?"

Fuck that mediating shit. FLING THE DEMON OFF OF ME YOU ******S! Violence solves everything when you're dealing with bullies.

(Yes, I've been watching Charmed. Fucking. CHARMED)

Only intelligent and educated people can be made better. Violent scumbags only know power, and so thats the way u gotta deal with them. You fight fire with fire. I hate myself for not assassinating him. =(

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a question: how good are you at differentiating the two?

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because you are a sensitive faggy IEI and a self-reflective type. You understand better when somebody is fucking up morally than other types, though everybody has access to those things, its just more potent with us. I don't think you view evil as 'different' than other people, evil is evil is evil- you just sense it better.
    It is truly bizarre that I consider "sensitive" and "faggy" compliments, but coming from you, I do.

Depends on what you mean by differentiating. If you mean providing a categorical description, not terrible, but not fantastic. If you mean looking at a person and making a good guess as to the basic quality-of-human-being scale, I'm pretty good at that. I can look at most people and tell you if they're decent or not.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically it's a matter of like "X indicates evil"?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenwings View Post
    That's amusing to me--sincerely--because I used to agree with you!

The only other thing I can say is that I have been in the same room with this man, before he was ever elected to any office:

And I was hit by one gigantic whooshing blast of evil. But I didn't try to take him down. Missed my chance.
    LOL

He's your dual. ROFL
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    LOL

He's your dual. ROFL
    Yes, but all duals are not created equal. Evil supersedes duality.

As for tcaud's question, "How good are you at differentiating the two?"--for me it doesn't work that way.

I'm reflecting on this. I have some rough categories for people, I guess. And these are very rough--it's more on a continuum than a numbered list implies. And I've never given this much thought before, so this may be mostly bullshit.

1. The really, really GOOD person. Rare type. Gives off amazing positive, powerful, radiant goodness. These people are more or less enlightened. I've met maybe two of them. Plus a bunch of monks, but the monks rank a bit lower for me as long as they operate in groups rather than as individual super-good people. It's like they're studying how to be really, really GOOD but aren't there yet. Just being in the presence of the really, really GOOD person makes me feel a million times better, like I took a big old serenity pill.

2. The really good person. Super nice, means very well, and is able to do a lot of good in the world. I've met a lot of these. They don't usually mean to achieve number 1. They may be very devoted to some particular role, like being a great teacher or artist or scientist. They are really nonjudgmental. They always brighten my day. Once in a while I'll see one of these people do something not so very good and am really surprised!

3. The average-good person. Has some flaws and blind spots, has average level of being able to do good in the world. (Hello, this is me!) Whether the person brightens my day or not has to do with multiple factors--how our personalities mesh, and how either of us was behaving in the circumstances.

4. The something-is-wrong-here person. Not an evil person, but mired in something negative. Often I get a doing-heavy-drugs vibe or am looking at a possible personality disorder. Something mean lurks beneath, but it's not going to be all THAT toxic as long as I keep my distance. I feel drained after being in contact with them and will find myself thinking about them a lot later, a little troubled.

5. The awful person. The person who pretends to be GOOD and is yucky, yucky, yucky. Such as a fake spiritual teacher--there's some enormous gap between how they present themselves and what they believe about themselves, versus what they are really like. Lies abound. Some elements of number 4 may apply here, too, but the 4's don't pretend to be what they're not. I feel sort of angry after dealing with this kind of person, plus drained like with 4's.

6. Evil. See photo of George W. Bush. Something really stanky is in the room. I feel physically ill in the person's presence. I want to run away quickly. Stuff from numbers 4 and 5 may be present, but there's something much bigger at play, too. The memory of being around this person for even the briefest time can haunt me. Very rare.
    Last edited by golden; 09-20-2010 at 07:12 AM.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

I have zero strict definition of what constitutes good and evil, but when something is evil, it is obvious to me and I feel very strongly about it.
    I agree with this then - there are no absolute definitions, only a sense of good and evil.

/offtopic

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have strict understanding of what is good and evil. I tend to philosophise a lot about this subject in my mind. Even when I see somebody acting in my opinion "evil" I try to understand why they are acting the way they do. In the end we all are different, we understand this world differently, try to fit in or stick out of this world in different manners. And who am I to judge their manners? Moral judgments most of the time are superficial... At the best I can only choose to stay among those who do evil things, try to understand them or ignore them. But don't we all have evil and good in us? I think I do. And it's the quest in my life to learn to distuinguish evil from good, to learn to see behind nice or bad attitude which might be only superficial and/or temporary and maybe only a result of the previous events in that persons past.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Even when I see somebody acting in my opinion "evil" I try to understand why they are acting the way they do.
    They're just taking the easy way out. They're looking for the quickest fix with the least amount of consequences, and there's no such beast. They're being lazy. Evil is laziness.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

Took the words out of my mouth.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Like, if I was being raped and killed by a sociopathoic homophobic republican demon with a 15 inch cock and demonic powers
    So, what are the odds that a homophobe with a cock will rape you?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari