Thread: Type and Temperature

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type and Temperature

What is your type and do you like warm or cold weather?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most humans prefer a relatively moderate temperature. I like best places whose average yearly temperature is between 13 and 15 °C, however I voted "hot" since a preference for cold climates is generally understood as liking cities which are much colder than that. I've never lived in a very hot country though, so I don't know if I would dislike it as much as I disliked a very cold one (which I did experience). My intuition tells me I would hate living in Florida or Georgia, but I would probably love coastal California.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best you can have are four changing seasons with different temperatures. It doesn't get boring this way. But if I had to decide between hot and cold, I'd rather pick cold, because too hot temperatures are very unpleasant to me. I like snow in general and also the seasons autumn and winter rather than spring or summer.

Maybe I would even prefer a trip to Siberia if I could choose between a tropical island and that.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm....perhaps this poll is more suited to NTs (i.e. suggestive/HA sense-feelers). I suppose that gamma NTs might prefer the heat, which is more conducive to immediate decisive actions and muscular flexibility (relaxed id is useful in becoming unfocused and used to minimize heat creation and increase muscular surface area to give off heat) as well as the intuitive declaration spurred on by temperature-driven metabolic activity in the brain whereas alpha NTs would prefer the clarity of sense declaration more easily attainable in the cold and the more relaxed atmosphere of cooler weather (decisive id is helpful for focus and is supported by such behaviors as shivering). Thus far the poll supports this (Alpha Cold - 2 / Gamma Hot - 2 / Everything Else - 0) ...

Florida is not much hotter than the Northern states but it is very humid, and the retention of heat by water makes it seem hotter than it really is; also, the climate there does not change very much seasonally. Death Valley, California has some of the highest recorded temperatures in the world...

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    alpha NTs would prefer the clarity of sense declaration more easily attainable in the cold and the more relaxed atmosphere of cooler weather (decisive id is helpful for focus and is supported by such behaviors as shivering).
    That's interesting, I actually thought about that. Hot temperatures always make me so slow, mentally and physically. It's better if you have some cold, fresh air. On the other handside, I really enjoy creating a cozy atmosphere at home () and that's something you can't do if it's hot outside (except for storms for example).
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    That's interesting, I actually thought about that. Hot temperatures always make me so slow, mentally and physically. It's better if you have some cold, fresh air. On the other handside, I really enjoy creating a cozy atmosphere at home () and that's something you can't do if it's hot outside (except for storms for example).
    I also don't like how very hot temperatures (above 25 degrees) make me slow, but I like how they make me relaxed. After a while, though, relaxed becomes "depressed", so it's nice to have a change of season towards autumn, when my mind and body speeds up. Well, I suppose that as you said, it's best to have 4 definite seasons, each with its own character

(on the contrary though I don't like a cozy atmosphere that much, I prefer to go outside even when it's quite cold)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like comfortable weather.

My ideal outdoor temperature would be something like 75 °F (24 °C); with a relative humidity of around 50%; and a slight breeze.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like everything but it has to change, like MD said, or else it gets boring.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, I suppose that as you said, it's best to have 4 definite seasons, each with its own character
    Which I think is quite rare to find these days, even in places that used to have that. Thanks to pollution, global warming and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I like everything but it has to change, like MD said, or else it gets boring.
    I used to like every type of weather equally, and simply adjust to whatever was going on and try to make the most of it. But right now, if I could choose any place to live, I'd go for places with the least varying climate that would provide me with optimal comfort throughout the year without me having to adjust a lot.
    Last edited by Park; 09-16-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pied Piper View Post
    People in the Northern Hemisphere: is it so cold this late August - early September at your place? Here it's freaking cold for several weeks, I had to stay well-dressed at home like in late autumn (or rather early winter). I wonder if that's applicable anywhere of it's just some clime quirk around here.
    It's been pretty normal over here lately, typical September weather - which is one of the best kinds, temperatures around 18-25, mostly sunny with some rain here and there. Perhaps nights are a bit colder than usual.

I realized that without sun and tan my skin messes up (spots, wickerwork) and I become weak
    Yeah, I've got the same problem. I'm okay with the kind of 2-months winter we get here, but when I was in Denmark I started having some skin problems by late March.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer hot to cold. If it is hot out I can still go to the pool/beach/lake to be outside or just wear no shirt and stay in the shade with a fan or the wind blowing. I also think I am adjusted to it being warmer. I don't get hot as easily as a lot of other I know. If it is cold outside I have no desire to be outside. I might go to a hot tub or camp fire type thing but I would never want to leave that place and deal with the cold. I find that being cold makes me more inactive. I just want to stay in my bed under the covers and never leave. And not really being able to go out in the sun or be outside for a long time is depressing.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hate the cold. My SEI brother loves it. I think it's related to fatness.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Bow to the Ninchucks Microknight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot weather. I hate cold weather.

TIM
    itsp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i highly prefer chilly/cold weather than warm/hot weather. cold weather feels very invigorating and refreshing. the air is better to breathe. hot weather zaps me of all my energy and i only want to sleep and eat all day.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by virekz View Post
    i highly prefer chilly/cold weather than warm/hot weather. cold weather feels very invigorating and refreshing. the air is better to breathe. hot weather zaps me of all my energy and i only want to sleep and eat all day.
    Cold weather renders me immobile.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very sensitive about temperature.

I don't like hot, don't like cold. (therefor couldn't vote...)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, there's no such thing as too hot.

I like my weather skin-blisteringly warm. Given a little more insulation, I might not mind so much; but anything below, say, 70 F makes it hard to think about anything else.

Perfectly still, dry air though, regardless of the temp, makes things a whole lot better. When you can drink the breeze, something's not quite right.
    Last edited by CILi; 09-16-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Can't Do Metric

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    To me, there's no such thing as too hot.

I like my weather skin-blisteringly warm. Given a little more insulation, I might not mind so much; but anything below, say, 70 F makes it hard to think about anything else.

Perfectly still, dry air though, regardless of the temp, makes things a whole lot better. When you can drink the breeze, something's not quite right.

Mojave

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted hot because I tolerate sweat better than goosebumps.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like both pretty equally, but I enjoy being outdoors as much as possible. That makes me like warmer weather much better than colder weather in general. I've lived in Arizona for a few years and don't really like the heat of 120 degrees much at all. Where I live in Oregon has all 4 seasons, though we tend to have more overcast days than most places. People are under the impression that it always rains here, when in fact it only rains a little bit when it actually rains so you just always need to be prepared to get misted most days (other than summer, since it hardly rains then). In Portland, we have a really mild temperature due to being close to the Pacific Ocean and in a valley. We get snow in the winter, but not that much, and it's gets around 100 in the summer, also not too often. We don't really have temps under freezing that often either, so I don't mind that at all.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I'm very sensitive about temperature.

I don't like hot, don't like cold. (therefor couldn't vote...)
    That's true of me too but I voted hot because I seem to tolerate very hot weather better than very cold for some odd reason (even though I've endured alot of Minnesota winters).
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it rains, snows or is overcast I am happy. I am most happy when it's overcast and brisk out with an unpredictable chance of rain; just enough to merit the wearing of a heavy jacket in lieu of a lighter one. ~60-65 degrees F I suppose.

Ultimately it would be a personal decision though. About the jackets that is