LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default highly sensitive person

Highly sensitive person - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Highly Sensitive Person

A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a person having the innate trait of high psychological sensitivity (or innate sensitiveness as Carl Jung originally coined it). According to Elaine N. Aron and colleagues as well as other researchers, highly sensitive people, who comprise about a fifth of the population, may process sensory data much more deeply and thoroughly due to a biological difference in their nervous systems.[1] This is a specific trait with key consequences that in the past has often been confused with innate shyness, social anxiety problems, inhibitedness, or even social phobia and innate fearfulness, introversion, and so on.[2] The existence of the trait of innate sensitivity was demonstrated using a test that was shown to have both internal and external validity.[3] Although the term is primarily used to describe humans, the trait is present in nearly all higher animals.

I'm wondering particularly about delta NFs here.

You ever hear of that term, Highly sensitive people?

Do you relate to it?

What do you think?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not particularly comfortable going into detail with it in the open, but I've always been deeply oversensitive and probably have a degree of Avoidant Personality Disorder; to be clear, I don't see it as a positive trait by any means.
    I feel like it's somewhat of a burden to others, since I think I make them feel guilty when I show or call out an offense by something as socially innocent as saying something with a harsh intonation; it probably catches them off guard and makes them feel insecure

I'm not sure if this is really a type related issue, but maybe certain types show the more stereotypical aspects of it...
    fwiw, I've known at least one LII who could fit the profile, but doesn't really talk about it. Perhaps it's elevated by having Se PoLR or maybe just introversion
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard of the term in a medical context, so it just sounds like "being a pussy" lol. I can kinda sorta relate to it, although whether or not I get totally overwhelmed depends on my mood and overall energy level at the time. When I'm in a place where I actively seek external stimulation it sometimes feels like I can't get enough, but once I come down from that state of mind I guess my "sensitivity" comes out and much more readily exhibit the traits described. As a guy it would be a lot less socially acceptable to come across as "sensitive" so I'm sure I try to hide a lot of it, although I used to be a lot more "sensitive" as a kid.

The second link brings up an interesting distinction between sensory and emotional sensitivity, and I guess I identify much more with the latter than the former. For me the parts about "being bothered by intense stimuli" all depends on the context in which the stimulus exists. However, when it comes to emotional stimuli I find myself easily overwhelmed.

Also lol there are tests on the second link:

You have indicated that 12 of the items are true of you.

Scoring:
    If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive. But no psychological test is so accurate that an individual should base his or her life on it. We psychologists try to develop good questions, then decide on the cut off based on the average response.

If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Highly sensitive person - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Highly Sensitive Person

I'm wondering particularly about delta NFs here.

You ever hear of that term, Highly sensitive people?

Do you relate to it?

What do you think?

Funny you should mention this. My EII sister told me about this HSP thing. She believes herself to be a "highly sensitive person" and she was trying to tell me that she thinks I am too, but I'm a little resistant to the idea. Though I guess I am, sorta. I think not as much as she is.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    Fi-ESI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought of myself as a HSP for a while now. I take everything personally and try to avoid situations where I'm around new people, so they can't judge me (Heaven knows why I joined this forum). One of the things I can definitely relate to is the whole thing about being watched at work. My first real job was a clerk at a local pharmacy for about a year, and it was a Hellish nightmare. My fishlipped, dickheaded bastard of a boss was always in plain sight and scared the piss outta me. I didn't trust anybody else there, but was afraid to quit in the fear they'd think of me as a pansy (which I am).
    phobic 6w5 sp/so/sx (tri-type: 6w5/1w9/4w5)
    Fi-ESI

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinist777 View Post
    I've thought of myself as a HSP for a while now. I take everything personally and try to avoid situations where I'm around new people, so they can't judge me (Heaven knows why I joined this forum). One of the things I can definitely relate to is the whole thing about being watched at work. My first real job was a clerk at a local pharmacy for about a year, and it was a Hellish nightmare. My fishlipped, dickheaded bastard of a boss was always in plain sight and scared the piss outta me. I didn't trust anybody else there, but was afraid to quit in the fear they'd think of me as a pansy (which I am).
    oh I guess i'm a HSP too then.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I strongly relate to this, but not in the way that Calvinist777 described it.

I don't even want to say what my score on that test is. I was talking to an LSE when I took the test, and he was astounded and kept asking me questions about it.

I'm emotionally sensitive, but I've improved with age. I have a greater problem with hypervigilance (which my old therapist thought of as a reaction to repeated traumas in my life). I also really dislike chaotic environments. I went to Chuck E. Cheese over the weekend for my niece's birthday, and I was immediately in a crabby mood due to the noise. When I've had a stressful day at work, all I want to do is sit in the dark at home. I think this is all chemically-based.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I strongly relate to this, but not in the way that Calvinist777 described it.

I don't even want to say what my score on that test is. I was talking to an LSE when I took the test, and he was astounded and kept asking me questions about it.

I'm emotionally sensitive, but I've improved with age. I have a greater problem with hypervigilance (which my old therapist thought of as a reaction to repeated traumas in my life). I also really dislike chaotic environments. I went to Chuck E. Cheese over the weekend for my niece's birthday, and I was immediately in a crabby mood due to the noise. When I've had a stressful day at work, all I want to do is sit in the dark at home. I think this is all chemically-based.
    Actually that happens to me too. I guess my sister was right. Well i dont sit in the dark but i'll withdraw and not really feel like doing much, except like watch movies or something, and not talk to anyone.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I scored 21 on the quiz. I'd consider myself to be a highly sensitive person but I didn't expect to score *that* high.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I scored 21 on the quiz. I'd consider myself to be a highly sensitive person but I didn't expect to score *that* high.
    Beat ya!! I got 23.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Beat ya!! I got 23.
    I wasn't satisfied with my first score so I retook it and got 27.

TIM
    Fi-ESI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started to take the test but most of the questions just seemed so...subjective (maybe it's just the Ne-POLR). I mean, like "rich, complex inner life," how am I to know? Doesn't everybody want to think they have "rich, complex inner life"? "Deeply moved by the arts or music"? At what specific point does being moved the arts or music go from being "kinda moved" to "deeply moved"?
    Fi-ESI

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had trouble answering the sensitivity to sensory subleties question. I have weak sensing, so alot of those things pass me by. But yet, I'll seem to notice things that escape others.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yeh, although it says there's some external validity to the whole concept, it seems too mystical for me to relate to - e.g. concerning the way the body perceives things through the senses.

This is intriguing though, as it says:
    Intriguingly, these children not only had more behavioral problems in response to low quality care, they also had the least problems of all children when having a history of high quality care suggesting that children with difficult temperament are highly susceptible rather than difficult and therefore able to benefit significantly more from positive experiences compared to other less susceptible children.

TIM
    Fi-ESI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Yeh, although it says there's some external validity to the whole concept, it seems too mystical for me to relate to - e.g. concerning the way the body perceives things through the senses.
    Yeah, while I do consider myself a HSP, some of the stuff about a "sixth sense" on the Wikipedia page are obvious horseshit.
    Fi-ESI

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how people make tests to quantify things like this... I think it's ridiculous.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally oscillate between HSP and sociopath.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually wonder if I'm somewhat highly sensitive. I feel like i can be at times, and I ahve that side of me, but I've become hardened.

I understand highly sensitive people pretty well.

But I think I'm much more classically extroverted than they are because I SEEK stimulation from outside me. I don't have a rich inner world. My inner world is just me scheming abuot how to do things int he outer world.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started to take the test but most of the questions just seemed so...subjective (maybe it's just the Ne-POLR). I mean, like "rich, complex inner life," how am I to know? Doesn't everybody want to think they have "rich, complex inner life"? "Deeply moved by the arts or music"? At what specific point does being moved the arts or music go from being "kinda moved" to "deeply moved"?
    For an example of "deeply moved," a few months back I was looking at a Jackson Pollock painting in the Met and was so struck by it that I started crying and couldn't breathe well and had to go sit down for a while because I was dizzy and overwhelmed. It was embarrassing and ridiculous!

I have the HSP book and it describes my issues clearly. The author holds that these traits are genetic in origin. My son, age 7, is also obviously HSP. In his case, like many other kids these days, he is considered to have sensory-integration issues and has been in occupational therapy for it. That kind of diagnosing and remedy didn't exist (in the mainstream, anyway) when I was a kid, but it might have helped me.

And yes, I am a giant pussy for sure! Albeit a bitchy one.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all this talk about delta NFs males being in touch with their feminine sides, the strongest negative reactions are coming fromt hem.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually wonder if I'm somewhat highly sensitive. I feel like i can be at times, and I ahve that side of me, but I've become hardened.

I understand highly sensitive people pretty well.

But I think I'm much more classically extroverted than they are because I SEEK stimulation from outside me. I don't have a rich inner world. My inner world is just me scheming abuot how to do things int he outer world.
    Actually, the author identifies sensation seeking as a subtype of the HSP and has a test for that in the book.

Similarly, as I was mentioning kids and sensory-integration issues--occupational therapists identify sensory-avoidance and sensory-seeking as two sides of the same coin. In both cases, the individual seeks to regulate the sensory state, I guess. Sometimes the same person will exhibit high sensory sensitivity--let's say to touch, to sound--and therefore avoid touch and sound in many contexts, yet will also seek touch and sound in various ways that they can control.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all this talk about delta NFs males being in touch with their feminine sides, the strongest negative reactions are coming fromt hem.

I think a lot of delta NF males sorta resent their femininity because it's not particularly acceptable for men to be particularly emotional or sensitive. However, the ones who are more secure in themselves are bound to be much more open about that sort of thing.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emotionally sensitive people are Fs, though I guess there are logically sensitive people all the while.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Emotionally sensitive people are Fs, though I guess there are logically sensitive people all the while.
    Is this why you self-type as INFp now?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Scored 8 on this one.

Take this The Quiz

Maybe it will shed some light on the situation. Got:

With your 47 % you are: Choleric: Leader, organized, self-disciplined and sufficient. Very successful. Weaknesses: Try to be perfect all the time, become bossy, don't 'let your guard down'. 12 % from 7680 test takers had this profile!

But you have almost become this:
    With your 27 % you are: Melancholy: Usually emotional, individualistic, creative...Commonly artistic, spontaneous, lover of 'different' things. Weaknesses: You don't care enough of what others think. You're always trying to be 'different', and you don't stick with anything.

And that you are not at all:
    With your 13 % you are: Phlegmatic: Laid-back, good-natured, easy to please. Usually get along with everyone, not one to 'make waves'. Weaknesses: Easy to become lazy, indecisive, selfish--usually undisciplined.

With your 13 % you are: Sanguine: Loves people, friendly, great story-teller...Loves to be center of attention or just to fit in. Weaknesses: Loss of individualism because you care too much about others' opinions.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With your 53 % you are: Melancholy: Usually emotional, individualistic, creative...Commonly artistic, spontaneous, lover of 'different' things. Weaknesses: You don't care enough of what others think. You're always trying to be 'different', and you don't stick with anything. 36 % from 7682 test takers had this profile!

With your 20 % you are: Choleric: Leader, organized, self-disciplined and sufficient. Very successful. Weaknesses: Try to be perfect all the time, become bossy, don't 'let your guard down'.

With your 13 % you are: Sanguine: Loves people, friendly, great story-teller...Loves to be center of attention or just to fit in. Weaknesses: Loss of individualism because you care too much about others' opinions.

With your 13 % you are: Phlegmatic: Laid-back, good-natured, easy to please. Usually get along with everyone, not one to 'make waves'. Weaknesses: Easy to become lazy, indecisive, selfish--usually undisciplined.

lol melancholic sounds so E4

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i scored a 17 on the HSP test. i'd say i'm somewhat sensitive, moreso emotionally than in regards to sensations. and my sensitivity to sensory stimuli depends a lot on where i'm sitting emotionally. anyway, i don't think i have HSP.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

With your 47 % you are: Melancholy: Usually emotional, individualistic, creative...Commonly artistic, spontaneous, lover of 'different' things. Weaknesses: You don't care enough of what others think. You're always trying to be 'different', and you don't stick with anything. 36 % from 7683 test takers had this profile!

With your 27 % you are: Phlegmatic: Laid-back, good-natured, easy to please. Usually get along with everyone, not one to 'make waves'. Weaknesses: Easy to become lazy, indecisive, selfish--usually undisciplined.

With your 20 % you are: Sanguine: Loves people, friendly, great story-teller...Loves to be center of attention or just to fit in. Weaknesses: Loss of individualism because you care too much about others' opinions.

With your 7 % you are: Choleric: Leader, organized, self-disciplined and sufficient. Very successful. Weaknesses: Try to be perfect all the time, become bossy, don't 'let your guard down'.
    woo

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For supposedly being only 20% of the population there sure are a lot of people scoring high on the HSP test

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I wasn't satisfied with my first score so I retook it and got 27.
    Ok u win!!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some movies make me cry. (although i'll try to stifle it if i'm with friends). If i'm alone, the tears will roll, and sometimes i sob. Mark of a good movie!!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    For supposedly being only 20% of the population there sure are a lot of people scoring high on the HSP test
    i didn't think the questions were very good.. like when it asked if i'm stressed by loud noises, what came to mind were all the times i've felt stressed by loud noises. when i'm asked that question i'm not immediately going to think of all the times i've been around loud noises and haven't been bothered. it seems like the test sort of influences you to confirm what its asking, imo.

maybe it was just the format.. i think i do better with multiple choice or something.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I think a lot of delta NF males sorta resent their femininity because it's not particularly acceptable for men to be particularly emotional or sensitive. However, the ones who are more secure in themselves are bound to be much more open about that sort of thing.
    I did resent it in the past, but I've realized that it's not a weakness unless you don't try to do anything about it, as in overcoming the negative qualities of it. Once you do though, and you become more confident in yourself, it becomes a strength that people might envy. Life is more than just male/female, masculine/feminine.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenwings View Post
    Actually, the author identifies sensation seeking as a subtype of the HSP and has a test for that in the book.

Similarly, as I was mentioning kids and sensory-integration issues--occupational therapists identify sensory-avoidance and sensory-seeking as two sides of the same coin. In both cases, the individual seeks to regulate the sensory state, I guess. Sometimes the same person will exhibit high sensory sensitivity--let's say to touch, to sound--and therefore avoid touch and sound in many contexts, yet will also seek touch and sound in various ways that they can control.
    what is this "sensation seeking" thing? I've read abotu it on her website but I really don' understand what it is. Is there a way to find out more about it?

What you say there somewhat sounds like me. I'm very tactile, and I don't like certain things touching me, but also want to manipulate and influences certain other touches and physical things.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    I did resent it in the past, but I've realized that it's not a weakness unless you don't try to do anything about it, as in overcoming the negative qualities of it. Once you do though, and you become more confident in yourself, it becomes a strength that people might envy. Life is more than just male/female, masculine/feminine.
    As far as I can tell both you and Galen still resent it, a lot. Or at least rather noticeably.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell both you and Galen still resent it, a lot. Or at least rather noticeably.
    What makes you say that? "Resent" is a strong word too.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What makes you say that? "Resent" is a strong word too.
    No, it's not. "Abhor" is a strong word.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is so well said, i dont even know how to praise you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast