Thread: Being easily startled

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Being easily startled

My step-mom is startled really easily. She's really sensitive to sudden loud noises or things/people jumping out at her. She'll even jump when you are just standing somewhere she didn't expect you to be. She doesn't always physically jump tho. Usually she just freezes for a moment. Also she's really sensitive to distractions. She doesn't like when my dad puts his hand on her head while watching TV because she feels like 'he's stealing her power.' She was kind of joking, but she says she doesn't like it because she can't focus.

type related?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    My step-mom is startled really easily. She's really sensitive to sudden loud noises or things/people jumping out at her. She'll even jump when you are just standing somewhere she didn't expect you to be. She doesn't always physically jump tho. Usually she just freezes for a moment. Also she's really sensitive to distractions. She doesn't like when my dad puts his hand on her head while watching TV because she feels like 'he's stealing her power.' She was kind of joking, but she says she doesn't like it because she can't focus.

type related?
    2 second answer; No its not type related

Elaboration; Although its not strictly type related, I think some correlations could be drawn, like Si types being sensitive to their physical state and so forth.

Anyways this is really interesting regardless, maybe I'll post an elaborate response to this in the near future.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think this is type-related. That said, I am extremely, extremely easily startled. People are taken aback by it, and then they laugh at me.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get startled super easily. It seems more like a girl-related thing.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

type related?
    I am startled easily myself and I can identify with alot of what your step-mother says. I'm not sure how type related it is but I wonder if weak contributes to it? Or maybe just intuitive types in general. Maybe with weak sensing, noises and other things seem more sudden and thus more potential for startle effect because you're so wrapped up in your own abstractions that you don't see the sensory stimulus coming?

I also wonder if it also relates to static/dynamic, with static types becoming more prone to being startled?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I am startled easily myself and I can identify with alot of what your step-mother says. I'm not sure how type related it is but I wonder if weak contributes to it? Or maybe just intuitive types in general. Maybe with weak sensing, noises and other things seem more sudden and thus more potential for startle effect because you're so wrapped up in your own abstractions that you don't see the sensory stimulus coming?

I also wonder if it also relates to static/dynamic, with static types becoming more prone to being startled?
    I kinda considered it to be a weak thing too, but there's this Ti-ENTp guy I know who isn't really startled at all. If anything there'd be a very loose correlation, but nothing beyond that.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i'm somewhat easily startled but i don't think anything out of the norm.

i relate to the "power stealing" thing, but it's more than just being distracted... i totally freak out if i'm like held down or restrained in any way physically, even if its just playing around. like i'm super sensitive to having my physical boundaries invaded. i could maybe see a high awareness of this as being Se related, dunno? or maybe related to the sp instinct? or maybe Si related because it has to do with how the physical world relates to oneself? ok short answer idk.
    Last edited by ashlesha; 09-12-2010 at 03:19 PM.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf.. can we move this to type related. I forgot how to read.

fwiw.. I type my stepmom LII.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My reaction was wtf too, but I figured you'd just missed the right subforum
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I kinda considered it to be a weak thing too, but there's this Ti-ENTp guy I know who isn't really startled at all. If anything there'd be a very loose correlation, but nothing beyond that.
    Regardless of whether or not this is type related, I think people underestimate the adaptivity of the role-function.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally not what I'm like, for the record.

Sounds more like IxFp.

Or male/female for that matter.
    Last edited by krieger; 09-12-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

type related?
    sounds more like PTSD

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    i'm somewhat easily startled but i don't think anything out of the norm.

i relate to the "power stealing" thing, but it's more than just being distracted... i totally freak out if i'm like held down or restrained in any way physically, even if its just playing around. like i'm super sensitive to having my physical boundaries invaded. i could maybe see a high awareness of this as being Se related, dunno? or maybe related to the sp instinct? or maybe Si related because it has to do with how the physical world relates to oneself? ok short answer idk.
    UMMM this is not a typical response of it is for .

Now, I'm totally sure that you're not INFj...thanks for the evidence. PS, I love being held down, one of the advantages of undervalued Se. People can invade my territory any time they want, I don't value Se; I'm totally comfortable with it and I love being controlled in many cases.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 09-12-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    UMMM this is not a typical response of it is for .

Now, I'm totally sure that you're not INFj...thanks for the evidence. PS, I love being held down, one of the advantages of undervalued Se. People can invade my territory any time they want, I don't value Se; I'm totally comfortable with it and I love being controlled in many cases.
    you had previously suggested an IEE typing for me, which would still consist of unvalued Se and strong Fi. have you changed your opinion? if you'd like to comment in my type thread, i would appreciate it:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...aghs-type.html

i'm curious about the connection you see between physical boundaries and Fi.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, I think that this makes a lot of sense as related to INxj because of INxjs tendency towards heavily internalized concentration. Basically strong Ni, and devalued Se. Isn't vulnerability to external pressure and need for environmental stability or something similar related to being INxj?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

IMO, I think that this makes a lot of sense as related to INxj because of INxjs tendency towards heavily internalized concentration. Basically strong Ni, and devalued Se. Isn't vulnerability to external pressure and need for environmental stability or something similar related to being INxj?
    I can go anywhere and do anything if I have stable relations with me.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fi and stable relations. This could apply to all Fi valuers and activators.
    -

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Startled about something, N types, because many of them have senses that go on and off and they aren't good at keeping track of their surroundings. If you read the INTj description on socionics.com, its something like INTjs often walk around without knowing where they're going, their plans are more abstract and aren't so realistically supported because of having such a weak , so senses, reactivity and awareness become secondary. Same goes for many other Ns. Being more abstract and imaginative warrants less focus on the real concrete world, and there's more likeliness to be surprised by some sudden change that you don't normally put any thought or interest in. Your dual will know how to find your comfort zone and automatically be able to figure out what senses you respond positively to though, or respond to at all. Semi-duals and illusionaries have a harder time with this. A startle is just the effect of a more intense communication error, and can happen even when you're paying attention, so its not always an N thing.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

hmmm. Nah.

objectively, what's going on here is that 'sheltered middle class suburbanites who are sensitive artists' (most people on the forum, in other words) startle easier than other people. We all need each other and a community of support for this reason...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can go anywhere and do anything if I have stable relations with me.
    Everybody is like this. Maybe not 'everybody' but I am like this too. Does this mean we're duals maritsa?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know more than one ENFj which can be easily irritated by any kind of noise in the environment, although I'm not sure if that can be defined as "being startled". I'm nothing like that btw, probably the opposite.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit