Thread: Transactional Analysis

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transactional Analysis

This is an ongoing series of videos by YouTube user TheraminTrees. He just released the latest installment of this series yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis
    Transactional analysis, commonly known as TA to its adherents, is an integrative approach to the theory of psychology and psychotherapy. Integrative because it has elements of psychoanalytic, humanist and cognitive approaches. It was developed by Canadian-born US psychiatrist Eric Berne during the late 1950s.

According to the International Transactional Analysis Association[1] TA 'is a theory of personality and a systematic psychotherapy for personal growth and personal change'.

1. As a theory of personality, TA describes how people are structured psychologically. It uses what is perhaps its best known model, the ego-state (Parent-Adult-Child) model to do this. This same model helps explain how people function and express their personality in their behavior[1]
    2. It is a theory of communication that can be extended to the analysis of systems and organisations[1].
    3. It offers a theory for child development, by explaining how our adult patterns of life originated in childhood[1]. This explanation is based on the idea of a "Life (or Childhood) Script": the assumption that we continue to re-play childhood strategies, even when this results in pain or defeat. Thus it claims to offer a theory of psychopathology[1].
    4. In practical application, it can be used in the diagnosis and treatment of many types of psychological disorders, and provides a method of therapy for individuals, couples, families and groups.
    5. Outside the therapeutic field, it has been used in education, to help teachers remain in clear communication at an appropriate level, in counselling and consultancy, in management and communications training, and by other bodies[1].

Last edited by tereg; 09-11-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will post more videos of this series as they become available.

I think that it's certainly an interesting theoretical framework.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned about this a few years ago. Interesting stuff. There's probably more dimensions to the transactional attitudes than just parent/equal/child, though. The model always felt a little constricted to me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan of TA - I'll have a look at the videos later - thanks for posting them.
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did this in college. it's interesting and makes you think. i wonder how the different games get played between each of the types. is there a pattern i wonder. does your dual play your games in just the right way as to get you moving into a parent state? it seems my dual sli acts as critical parent sometimes and i respond with my fearful child. i usually go away and think things through and come back with a parent frame of mind and try to hear what he is saying objectively and i find i always learn something new about myself that gives me the ability to stay in that adult state of mind for longer. it's as if they pull you into the game for the purpose of eliminating it from your repetoire.

i suppose it would mean that your opposite would draw you into the game and make you hold on tighter to it, thus stunting your growth. i know i felt alot more entrenched in my own false beliefs after a relationship with an istj.

hmm... i think i figured out alot there. thanks for that.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff. Comes in especially useful when dealing with dicks like Gilly.

I'm subscribed to TT's channel; he always makes great videos.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.