Thread: What's my type?

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's my type?

I'm a new member who is having quite a difficult time figuring out my type.

I'm told that I am very mysterious and the curiosity of what I'm thinking is what draws people to me. On the other hand, I've also been told that I can be intimidating. But I suppose that might also be another reaction to the mystery.

I'm a college student and have a hard time navigating the social scene. I don't really care for any of it. I'll go to the bar or club with friends but it's draining. I feel like I have to perform and it's more freeing to act a fool and dance around and have fun than worry about what the cute guy across the room thinks.

At work I'm called upon to solve technical problems such as "the register is on the fritz, what do we do?" I have no idea why people assume I know these things. I just start trying things out and see what works and easily pick up on what needs to be done.

The biggest obstacle I have with people is their fear to try something new. The fear of being embarrassed (or worse the fear of not liking something!) and also my disgust for people who mock those who have made a mistake. You never know until you try.

And for your VI purposes

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ixxx

not enough info.

what profession would you want to do?
    are you a go with the flow type?
    etc

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very laid back. Whatever I want to do at that moment is my focus. I have a hard time with rules and structures and a difficult time in situations where I can't have fun. I can tell when the mood is going sour and do my best to correct it. When I'm trying to get people to lighten up or be more social, I tend to jump around or do a dance to make them feel less awkward (but only with people I'm close to). I feel most at ease when everyone is as comfortable as I am.

I want to follow around Anthony Bourdain. Can that be a job? Lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your type may be SEI (ISFp).
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj strikes me as possible, although again, not enough of the right kind of info.

Also welcome!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    INFj strikes me as possible, although again, not enough of the right kind of info.

Also welcome!
    I second this typing possibility. Please offer more information about your self especially, write some things about you that others perceive to be negative.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
    I am very laid back. Whatever I want to do at that moment is my focus. I have a hard time with rules and structures and a difficult time in situations where I can't have fun. I can tell when the mood is going sour and do my best to correct it. When I'm trying to get people to lighten up or be more social, I tend to jump around or do a dance to make them feel less awkward (but only with people I'm close to). I feel most at ease when everyone is as comfortable as I am.

I want to follow around Anthony Bourdain. Can that be a job? Lol.
    LOL

You come across as very pleasant to me. I think I used to do those things too when I was younger, because I like everyone in my company to feel at ease and warm and loved. I think Fi and Fi valuers really pay attention to the feelings of other individuals in a space that they are in and we can even make spectacles of ourselves just to get people to lighten up and relax....that very same Si comfort that we seek to promote. Now, that I'm older, I gently approach people who don't seem to incorporate into the mix and since I've improved my communication skills and able to express my emotions and feelings clearly, it's helped to use communication, good and clear communication, as an outlet or alternative to my spunky behavior. Mind you, I would never do or behave as such around strangers or people I wasn't comfortable being around.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your patience with me! I didn't know what kind of information would help.

Okay so negatives.

A couple years ago I responded to an email by a fellow club member and was torn apart at the next meeting because of my lack of tact. I was trying to be as straight forward as possible but it came off as vicious (I was told this by an ESE - apparently I was supposed to thank someone for their lack of knowledge just because they tried). Also during meetings I take everything as a brainstorming process so when people clog the discussion up by rambling (EIE) or worse - going in circles (SLE) - words begin to pour out of me... anything to get back to business. Strangely, and to their frustration, I have no problem going on tangents.

I have tried since then to soften the blow of my statements but find it difficult when people are just outright wrong.

I also like to joke about things with people that aren't really funny. For example, an IEE-Ne friend of mine told me that she had a spider bite on her arm. I began saying things like "What's that spider where your skin falls off? Brown recluse?" in a joking way and throwing out other spider trivia. It was not well received.

However, my best friend is IEE-Fi and she doesn't seem to mind. She also has told me that when I distance from people psychologically, my body language will close up and I'll space out. She hangs out with people for the sake of knowing them. I can only befriend people when they have a fresh perspective.

I have four EII friends and they all think I'm funny but confusing. I think that they all have early bedtimes lol.

I was close friends with an ILI for almost a year but our friendship came to a screeching halt when I realized that all they brought to the table was that they constantly criticized everything. Another ILI-Ni would make fun of me whenever I would act confident about my knowledge saying that nothing can be classified. When talking to a LIE, I couldn't stop correcting everything he said... I have a difficult time with Gamma in general.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LOL SEI
    -

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    LOL SEI
    Is it really that obvious? What made you come to that conclusion?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Is it really that obvious? What made you come to that conclusion?
    actually, I'm thinking ESE. Humor and Fe. Short observations and very funny and accurate. Sarcasm. I ignore sarcasm because I feel that it hurts people's feelings.
    -

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work with two ESE and two LII and they are definitely my favorite people there. The ESEs are very loud and competitive, especially when trying to catch the attention of the LIIs. One ESE tells me she has a hard time refusing my silly plans. The other thinks I'm hilarious because I bounce around the store having fun in any way possible. The LIIs will only participate with me until a point, then they get wrapped up in their favorite ESE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I settle for SEI; you befriend people when they have a fresh perspective seems like someone needs Ne.

Talk about Si...do you need people to take you out?
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 09-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    -

Creepy-male

I could see ILE, now that you put it that way. But I could also see SEI. I see myself in what you've written here, Crayon.

Also, if Galen starts protesting about me being SEI, ignore him, his socionics understanding is not of a high quality. In fact, forget everything before "Ignore him". Just ignore him anyway.

EDIT

I think there's a real misconception that SEIs are always diplomatic. Don't forget that we're Fe egos too. And while our mirrors, ESEs, are far more open when it comes to bitching at someone for something, the SEI is quite happy to lash out when finally pushed there. Fe > Fi, we don't view relationships as being easily damaged by transient emotional vents.

Diplomacy in SEIs is usually in service of one of three things: cleaning up a shitstorm that one of our close friends has caused (this is the "shuttle diplomacy" you tend to see floating around in some descriptions--we'll go and deal with each party individual to mop up the conflict and any resulting ill will), preserving the mood (because we heavily internalise the emotional atmosphere around us, making it extremely unpleasant to be in an outwardly hostile/angry/unpleasant environment), or conserving our energy (because fights are both emotionally unpleasant and taxing on our energy--IPs do not like having their energy taxed, perhaps because we have so little of it).

I guess we also have a basic interest in not damaging our relationships, even if we don't go out of our way to "cultivate" or "foster" them (this is not necessarily an SEI thing though, could be an instinctual stacking thing).

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At work I'm called upon to solve technical problems such as "the register is on the fritz, what do we do?" I have no idea why people assume I know these things. I just start trying things out and see what works and easily pick up on what needs to be done.
    heh this does sound like an ILE i used to know. he was a good problem-solver.

i like the ILE suggestion for you Crayon.

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do see myself in the ILE description, especially the weaknesses (especially Fi!). I guess I never considered it before because I see myself as too random to be logically consistent.

One of the biggest problems I have with school assignments where I have to choose my own topic. I tend to think bigger and bigger and become more abstract until I can't continue because I've lost sight of what I was supposed to be doing in the first place. I've been in study sessions where every time I read something interesting I have to tell someone. One time it was about horses, "do you know they only sleep three hours a night?" and several people got up and left because I'm a "big distraction."

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Diplomacy in SEIs is usually in service of one of three things: cleaning up a shitstorm that one of our close friends has caused (this is the "shuttle diplomacy" you tend to see floating around in some descriptions--we'll go and deal with each party individual to mop up the conflict and any resulting ill will), preserving the mood (because we heavily internalise the emotional atmosphere around us, making it extremely unpleasant to be in an outwardly hostile/angry/unpleasant environment), or conserving our energy (because fights are both emotionally unpleasant and taxing on our energy--IPs do not like having their energy taxed, perhaps because we have so little of it).
    I do tend to do this as well, but only when someone brings up the conflict. I try to help them see all the view points for the argument so they can view their feelings in the context of the bigger picture... but I am unable to give useful advice on how to solve the conflict.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IxxP or maybe ExxP

I'll keep updating until I know your type for sure.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    This is something that I think most ILEs can relate to:
    I think with your average ILE, the use of Ti isn't so much about rules and structures as it is about problem solving and systematizing solutions to problems. They rarely use Ti to create exact systems that determine their personal behavior, which is more of a Ti dominant pursuit. With their Ti creative, they find it easier to apply whatever system makes sense on the spot, and to reject whatever system doesn't make sense. That means they usually appear inconsistent to themselves or others.
    Not only ILE.

Most of what has been written in this thread seems pretty generic so far. I've even initially thought ILI, so Forer-like effect is at work alright. Not enough info to type, anyway. I'd lean towards ExTp, though.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    A typical Ne dominant trait is to be constantly spreading interesting information that the person has encountered. A common ILE trait is to try to combine as much information as possible into his/her theories, to explore as many avenues of research as possible, as it were.
    Interesting. I definitely relate to "constantly spreading interesting information". I got a reputation in highschool as a fountain of fascinating trivia... without me even knowing! One SLI teacher I had actually asked me one science lesson if I had any interesting facts for the day because I hadn't said anything at all. I was rather surprised at that.

Also, I used to get cello lessons from this really lovely SEI woman. Except... they were cello lessons in name only. Most of the hour long (usually more ) sessions were exchanges of fascinating tidbits. Talking too much is a fairly SEI trait, in specific, cutting in and saying "Oh, one last thing before you go!" that turns into about 30 or 40 minutes ('zaggerating) of One Last Things. I know a friend of mine has to proactively cut conversations off if she actually wants to go somewhere or do something before I inadvertently talk her to death

That said, I can't relate to the bit about incorporating as much information into my theories as possible. This is for one very good reason! I don't make my own theories As a rule I only ever apply theories/systems that other people have developed. I can have my own interpretation of them, granted, but I've never invented or developed anything on my own. (Well, to the exception of modelling damage in World of Warcraft, but the models I make are just really rudimentary sets of assumptions that I can use to make predictions, basically.) As you said later in your post, much like an ILE, I tend to apply these systems fairly flexibly based on "what makes sense" or "what is useful". For example, Rick's sentiment that Socionics is bunk because it's not a perfect system that is not perfectly applicable to every situation all the time perfectly is really alien to me. Socionics is a fairly loose kind of a system that makes very useful and accurate predictions and tends to ring very truly with reality. That's all I need to consider it good and useful, and useful it most certainly is.

I think trying to figure out ILE/SEI based on elements is going to be a blunt path. Club/temperament might be a much more precise tool. Temperament first. Club can be a little iffy--I think I'm a living example of that (I mean there's little subtleties that put me firmly away from NT, but I don't think they're really readily apparent).

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah u definitely sound alpha.

I'm a beta. Nice to meet you. =) I want to 'really know people.' Fresh perspectives are overrated to me- or only something that I want to give myself.

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I'm being so vague, I have a hard time describing myself because I'm unsure of what is important.

I'll try to describe some situations.

When I get ready in the morning, I fix my bed, making sure that it looks comfortable. I pay great attention to my appearance. I spend time choosing clothes that have a theme, I guess you could say (flower print skirt, leopard print shirt and monkey earrings if I want to feel like I'm in the jungle) and like to complement them with interesting accessories. If something doesn't feel right then I have to change or else I'll be a little off for the rest of the day.

When talking to people I like to start off with a joke or something positive. If they're upset about something that I view as temporary than I try to cheer them up. If it's something more, than I adapt my mood until I can find the right way to leave. If that person is a part of a group, I'll try to form a buffer around them so the mood doesn't get any worse.

I have a difficult time seeing people for who they really are. I idealize them until I realize their faults, usually very far along in the friendship. Then I suddenly stop talking to them, making excuses.

I'm also a big fan of stumbleupon. My biggest interests are design, different gadgets, and interesting news stories. I love watching animal planet, the science channel, and of course the travel channel. I love shows where people get to travel and enjoy the food, the hospitality, and the atmosphere of other cultures. When it comes to entertainment, I can be very picky. It needs to engage all of my senses. I don't need to directly experience it, I just need the right suggestions.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you good at seeing whether everything fits in a room, as if everything is in harmony?
    would you be a good interior decorator?
    Could people describe you as a peacemaker?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    There's a reason why the word "karma exists", plus if life is a puzzle then prettending to put pieces in places gives it a purpose doesn't it?
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm just checking if she is the type I think she is. Or that I have to look further. I'm just trying to help.

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In what ways do you see PoLR as something applicable to you?
    "This can result in a mistrust of others and a general wariness regarding others' opinions of them, potentially causing irrational behaviors based on misconceptions in this area."

I have a difficult time understanding my strengths and feel that others are acutely aware of my weaknesses. I have a hard time thinking that my opinion makes sense or is good enough. This causes me anxiety when I'm in a professional setting. For example, my LSE manager loves to ask probing questions and that makes me nervous. I hate being put on the spot. I know what I'm supposed to be doing but I'll freeze up, start dropping things.

are you good at seeing whether everything fits in a room, as if everything is in harmony?
    When I enter a room, I notice the flow of everything. The style of someones house tells a lot about them, as well as their choice of furniture, even down to the lampshades. If something doesn't mesh well, I think of other ways they could have displayed it. I love colorful, comfortable homes and hate when people don't realize that their house is uninviting. I'm also good at noticing what is missing and if something has changed... only inanimate objects though, I'm horrible with people.

would you be a good interior decorator?
    I definitely would. I spent my entire summer between 7th and 8th grade wallpapering my hallway with sheet music. I've always needed to have a say in how everything looks. I also like to make handmade cards or knit scarfs for presents.

Could people describe you as a peacemaker?
    I want everyone to be as relaxed as I am. Things don't really phase me as much as they should. When friends get into arguments, I want them to see both sides and sort of lead them to figure out what must be done. Confrontation makes me feel physically ill as does seeing someone that I dislike. If I am upset, I stop thinking and explode. It doesn't feel right to argue unless it is absolutely necessary.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oke, you fit the ISFp type.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% SLI. Pretty much everything you said sounds like me a few years ago. I wouldn't have even thought you were a female if you hadn't made it obvious. Your picture looks Si-IP, too.
    Last edited by Park; 09-07-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-male

So so far we've had ILI from an ILI, SLI from an SLI, SEI from an SEI, and ILE from an ILE.

Crayon, there's just one conclusion. You have no type.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    So so far we've had ILI from an ILI, SLI from an SLI, SEI from an SEI, and ILE from an ILE.

Crayon, there's just one conclusion. You have no type.
    At least 25% of the first sentence is false. But all in all, it's probably for the better that you rephrased what I said. Too much terms which sound as if they were taken straight from some type's or another profile - meant to be easily identified with by most people.

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been going through this with myself for a while now lol. Once I started getting into socionics, I had my some of my friends take the test and type themselves so I could see how types work, and they shared it with their friends. This led to an obsession with gathering all the facts I could, especially once I saw the intertype relationships in real life. I've also never typed anyone myself but I can sometimes pick up on parts.

Maybe these will help? It's hard to find a picture where I'm not doing something silly.

One, Two (I was broccoli for halloween), Three, Four (I didn't know it was being taken)

EDIT

I talk about thought processes as physical sensations. If I remember the plot of a book, the information rush feels like it's pouring through my consciousness. I quickly rework my feelings about the plot and then I remember my opinions. My emotions are experienced as strong physical sensations. I feel when a social situation is lacking or awkward and actively try to improve it. Parties need good music, and so do long car rides. I like to make mix-cds with themes, sometimes by using voice clips from sound tracks to introduce the next song. I don't like planned physical activity, but when the mood is right I'll have a quick burst of energy.
    Last edited by Crayon; 09-08-2010 at 04:12 AM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI or SEI, leaning SLI.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd eat that broccoli.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol.

After reading all the replies and reading the descriptions, I think I really could be SLI. As I said before, my best friend since childhood is IEE-Fi. Could that be why I have this type confusion?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most likely SLI or SEI, so you just have to find out if you are an ethical type or a logical.

Are you concerned with humans a lot? Do you have a great instinct for them?

Or do you see yourself as capable enough with that, but not outstanding.

TIM
    SEI 9w8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When in good company and conversation, I am a very animated person and like to respond with enthusiasm. If a situation is interesting, I enjoy being involved but dislike taking the lead. Gossip intrigues me and I like to comment on what is socially unacceptable. I have difficulty with people who are more traditional in their views. I like to have fun, be silly and I hate being around people who never stray far from serious. I don't like to show negative emotions because I feel the ripple effect on the moods of others.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Are you concerned with humans a lot? Do you have a great instinct for them?

Or do you see yourself as capable enough with that, but not outstanding.
    What does that even mean

SEIs are basically confident dealing with their relationships (ethical, strong Fi). (That is, they tend to have a good idea of what implications their actions will have on their relationships.)

SLIs want to be able to be good at dealing with their relationships (logical, weak Fi), but aren't fantastic at it on their own without help from their dual.

Basically.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Introverted intuitive. A sensor wouldn't let her picture be taken with her necklace on backwards.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.