Thread: Talking too Quickly

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Talking too Quickly

I've been often accused of talking too quickly, and recently it has become a problem in my French orals and in Debating. It also becomes a bit of an issue when I suggest something in class, especially something in my philosophy class, or deliver an explanation of my thinking, and no one actually knows what I just said. Usually the teacher will then restate what I just said in a more concise manner.

Possibly related to me not being able to be concise at all.

So, yes, the question is: Is it Type Related?
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Creepy-male

It's anxiety related. Often when you're dealing with presenting your thoughts to a group there's an understandable flight or fight response, and this tends to manifest in weak knees and more rapid speaking, among other things.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, partly true, I do speak faster when in such situation with some element of pressure. However, I still speak rather fast just normally, to the extent that some of my friends wait until I finish and say "and so your point being...", and I summarise what I just said.

Note, that's only when I'm explaining my idea, and it's not exactly easy for them to understand what I'm saying.

There's also points when I go through entire monologues of (unrealisitc) situations that could happen with "and then he'll be like", "and someone'll go" and " 'but Bradley,' (that is, me in the third-person) you might say, 'what if...'." interspersed through the speech, after which my friends often say "...that's great, have fun with that." In an intentionally condescending manner, that is.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Creepy-cinq

I'm not sure if it's type related. You remind me of a coworker of mine who thinks and speaks very quickly - faster than anyone I've ever met. I don't have issues understanding her, but, I can tell there is an obvious difference in our "processing rates" when we communicate.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I speak quickly because I plan my entire sentence before using it so I don't make any grammatical errors. Then I spew it all out at once so I don't forget it. It saves time. Unless I'm talking to a normal person, in which case I'll have to repeat myself. Of course, once I've planned what to say, said it, and heard myself say it, it's memorized for hours and is easy to repeat.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I noticed that types dont articulate very well when they speak. I have tendency to do this to, but the more I devellop my role function it seems the more my speech becomes detailed and articulate.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do it when I was younger and still do on occasion when I'm reading from a script and forget that humans read faster than they speak. However, proper intonation and speed while speaking are too valuable of skill to simply NOT develop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember most people at school would talk too fast during speeches. Then there were a couple people who could talk normally, and a couple (like me) who talked too slow.

As for concise or not, that may be type related..........