Thread: is birth control bad for you?

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is birth control bad for you?

i've read both sides and can't decide what's bullshit... also, what about things like seasonique (?) where you only have 3-4 periods a yr?
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You and I should test out the various forms of birth control to find the one that best fits you.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, trial and error is really the only way to figure it out for yourself. That said, I've heard a lot of bad things from people on the shot. I think Bee is the only person I've talked to who actually got benefits out of it instead of negatives.

I would advise you to get something localized and low-dose hormone. If you're not trying to use birth control to change your periods in any ways, then low-dose is the way to go imo. I've been using Nuva Ring for a while now and it's been nice. I was on a pill for a few months and it messed my mental shit up. I was an emotional nut case, which is not something I personally enjoy. Not to mention it doesn't do you any favours where moisture is concerned.

Yeah, localized low-dose is my suggestion. Doesn't mess with you hormonally nearly as much, has a very high success rate, also doesn't require you to take pills every day.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

birth control pills are synthetic hormones that don't act exactly like natural hormones, and have more side effects. And you have to sometimes test several different kinds to find one that works with your own body chemistry the best (different ones will have different types, amounts and ratios of progesterone to estrogen.) Some can royally screw you up, make you an emotional mess, cause tons of side effects, while others seem to have nothing but improvements overall. And what is awesome for one woman, might be hell for another, and vv.

The purpose is to disrupt your hormone balance, so keep that in mind. However, it beats an unwanted pregnancy for sure, and there can be other benefits like skin improvements, or lighter/no period. If you opt to try it, I'd recommend the lower hormone pills. I don't know anything specifically about sesonique, but whether you're on on an extended type like it, or the 28 day cycle ones, it's the overall same kind of effect on your body. I wouldn't say that they're GOOD for you, but they're one of the best options you have for birth control, imo.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    Yeah, trial and error is really the only way to figure it out for yourself.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm generally of the opinion that anything that seriously fucks up your period is probably going to cause some serious hormonal side-effects.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the thought of having daily PMS is exciting to you, then by all means, take it. I'd much rather deal with 5 days a month than 31. Condoms,Plan B, abstinence,death,torture, having the kid anyway > Birth Control.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    If the thought of having daily PMS is exciting to you, then by all means, take it. I'd much rather deal with 5 days a month than 31. Condoms,Plan B, abstinence,death,torture, having the kid anyway > Birth Control.
    Which is in many ways the difference between individual experience as well as high- vs low-dose. On my low-dose ring I'm no more PMSy than I was without birth control.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIT: Women talking about their vaginas.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    You and I should test out the various forms of birth control to find the one that best fits you.
    lmfao
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no expert in this topic, but am genuinely interested. Tho birth control really doesn't sound too good because it changes woman's progesterone and estrogen hormone and I am not sure if there are any long term effect. But I work in a pharmacy and I have always hear that Plan B doesn't work if you are going to have a long term sexual relationship, sooner or later there are decent chances you will get pregnant. if you prolong the usage of it and rely on it.

most girls goes through abortion because they use think they can rely on Plan B?
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So thats whats wrong with my gf.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People cannot soley rely on Plan B unless they're really rich. For one pill it's $50.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People cannot soley rely on Plan B unless they're really rich. For one pill it's $50.
    FOR ONE BABY IT'S $600,000 AND 18 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE YOU DO THE MATH

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why I know this, but good things are usually said of nuvaring.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you like it then you shoulda put a nuvaring on it?
    asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decades ago they used to give women cancer.

One girl I used to date said it gave her pancreatitis
    My friend said his gf had to stop because she was calling him late at night and crying for no reason.
    In no way should one act contrary to the great future you have before you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    i've read both sides and can't decide what's bullshit... also, what about things like seasonique (?) where you only have 3-4 periods a yr?
    Ok, so I talked to a INFp pharmacist and he said the best one to take, and no bullshit here, is ortho tri cyclen and yasmin., I specifically asked him about seasonique and he told me he would never recommend that to anyone because it will mess up your hormones and reduces your period to only 3-4 times like you said and therefore will really fuck up the girls behavior plus many psychological side effect.

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the thought of having daily PMS is exciting to you, then by all means, take it.
    It's funny how when you ask on an internet forum, people will always bitch about how bad it is. But talking to women in real life, maybe one in five will have any issues with it at all.

Then again, those whose side-effects result in constant PMS are by definition more likely to be vocal about it...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    Ok, so I talked to a INFp pharmacist and he said the best one to take, and no bullshit here, is ortho tri cyclen and yasmin., I specifically asked him about seasonique and he told me he would never recommend that to anyone because it will mess up your hormones and reduces your period to only 3-4 times like you said and therefore will really fuck up the girls behavior plus many psychological side effect.
    I had a shitty time with yasmin. That was the one that made me a nut case.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

asdasdadasd of course birth control in the form of pills is bad for you .Like, have sex 3-4 times a year instead.word.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a commercial talking about lawsuits for products including Yasmin a few months ago lol. Here's a website. "Sudden Death on Yasmin" is listed as one of the symptoms.
    Yasmin Lawsuit - Lawyers for Yasmin Class Action Lawsuits - Free Consultation - Yasmin Attorneys

I'm guessing they've fixed the formula since then though.

Quote Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
    asdasdadasd of course birth control in the form of pills is bad for you .Like, have sex 3-4 times a year instead.word.
    Or you can just switch from oral to anal every day.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

oh right

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on low-dose ortho-tricyclen (YEARS ago, like from 1994 until 1997) and it worked great in terms of preventing pregnancy but it shot down my libido significantly and I was also moodier while taking it. I was happy when my husband got a vasectomy so we didn't have to worry about that anymore. If I were back in that same situation, I honestly don't know what I'd use for birth control.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

that's the one i take now and my mood swings are a lot better than they used to be on my old pill, but i can't remember what that one was called.

i think yasmin might be what caused my gallstones though. i've seen there's some kind of lawsuit about it and i got them a few months after starting yaz.

yeah bc sucks but its better than unwanted pregnancy so

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, trial and error is really the only way to figure it out for yourself. That said, I've heard a lot of bad things from people on the shot. I think Bee is the only person I've talked to who actually got benefits out of it instead of negatives.

I would advise you to get something localized and low-dose hormone. If you're not trying to use birth control to change your periods in any ways, then low-dose is the way to go imo. I've been using Nuva Ring for a while now and it's been nice. I was on a pill for a few months and it messed my mental shit up. I was an emotional nut case, which is not something I personally enjoy. Not to mention it doesn't do you any favours where moisture is concerned.

Yeah, localized low-dose is my suggestion. Doesn't mess with you hormonally nearly as much, has a very high success rate, also doesn't require you to take pills every day.
    Nope, I've had my issues there as well.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

I dont want to use birthcontrol because of all the side effects it probably has

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Condoms still work....for some reason people seem to think they just stopped working. Sure, they suck but they don't turn you into a mental case that could randomly drop dead at any minute. I haven't been on BC for years and never once had a scare.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Condoms still work....for some reason people seem to think they just stopped working. Sure, they suck but they don't turn you into a mental case that could randomly drop dead at any minute.
    yes. haha

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
    you can still risk getting pregnant that way, word.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    you can still risk getting pregnant that way, word.
    it only takes once.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    if you like it then you shoulda put a nuvaring on it?
    lol

Creepy-cinq

I wouldn't say birth control (pill) is bad for you. I think it's important to do a bit of research to choose the right pill and dosage. I took the pill for all of 3 weeks and didn't like the hormonal changes.

If you want an alternative, I recommend the Billing's method, in combination with the use of condoms or abstinence. If you have a high sex drive and find it difficult to control sexual urges, then this alternative may not be for you. BOM is also good for achieving pregnancy (obviously not an issue of course if you are very fertile) and attention to timing can increase the probability of gender (if you'd like to take it that far).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA--I did that. (ovulation method) It sucks though because you're not supposed to have sex exactly when your sex drive is highest and you want it most!

Creepy-cinq

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    HA--I did that. (ovulation method) It sucks though because you're not supposed to have sex exactly when your sex drive is highest and you want it most!
    Well, true. But, the point is that the Billing's method gives you knowledge about when you are ovulating. The signal is clear. What you do with this information is what makes it successful or not. You choose some other way to express your high sex drive at this point - ie oral, wear a condom or whatever floats your boat. There are many ways you can enjoy sex without penetration.
    Last edited by cinq; 08-25-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Creepy-

One of my good friends did that [ovulation method], checking her temperature and everything to make sure she wouldn't get pregnant.

She and her husband are now proud parents of a six-month-old baby girl

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    One of my good friends did that [ovulation method], checking her temperature and everything to make sure she wouldn't get pregnant.

LOL

1)

2)

Creepy-cinq

There are different ovulation methods. Basal temperature method is not the most reliable one. Also, it requires more discipline to chart. It's not necessarily the method that fails in many cases, but, the ones using the method. If you don't want to use knowledge about your biological functions to navigate through your ovulation cycle, then don't use the method. Stick with the pill.

Your post is typical, cliche, and demonstrates your ignorance on the subject.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by cinq View Post
    There are different ovulation methods. Basal temperature method is not the most reliable one. Also, it requires more discipline to chart. It's not necessarily the method that fails in many cases, but, the ones using the method. If you don't want to use knowledge about your biological functions to navigate through your ovulation cycle, then don't use the method. Stick with the pill.

Your post is typical, cliche, and demonstrates your ignorance on the subject.
    lol

I was sharing an anecdote, not trying to put forth an argument for the reliability/unreliability of the method. I don't care what method you/anyone uses or even if you/anyone uses one at all. Lighten up.

Creepy-cinq

I was sharing an anecdote, not trying to put forth an argument for the reliability/unreliability of the method. I don't care what method you/anyone uses or even if you/anyone uses one at all. Lighten up.
    Right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast