Thread: Buddhism: Ti or Te dominance?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buddhism: Ti or Te dominance?

from wikipedia:

Buddhist philosophy deals extensively with problems in metaphysics, phenomenology, ethics, and epistemology.

Some scholars assert that early Buddhist philosophy did not engage in ontological or metaphysical speculation, but was based instead on empirical evidence gained by the sense organs (ayatana).[1] Buddha is said to have assumed an unsympathetic attitude toward speculative thought in general.[2] A basic idea of the Buddha is that the world must be thought of in procedural terms, not in terms of things or substances.[3] The Buddha advised viewing reality as consisting of dependently originated phenomena; Buddhists view this approach to experience as avoiding the two extremes of reification and nihilism.[4] Nevertheless, Buddhist scholars have addressed ontological and metaphysical issues subsequently.

Particular points of Buddhist philosophy have often been the subject of disputes between different schools of Buddhism. While theory for its own sake is not valued in Buddhism, theory pursued in the interest of enlightenment is consistent with Buddhist values and ethics.

[...]

Early Buddhism displays a strong streak of skepticism; the Buddha cautioned his followers to stay aloof from intellectual disputation for its own sake, saying that this is fruitless and distracts from the practices leading to enlightenment. However, the Buddha's doctrine did have an important philosophical component: it negated the major claims of rival positions while building upon them at a new philosophical and religious level.

In a skeptical vein, he asserted the insubstantiality of the ego, and in doing so countered those Upanishadic sages who sought knowledge of an unchanging ultimate self. The Buddha created a new position in opposition to their theories, and held that attachment to a permanent self in this world of change is the cause of suffering and the main obstacle to liberation. The same skeptical approach negates the existence of any high god or essential substance, and undercuts both traditional and iconoclastic spiritual goals. He broke new ground by going on to explain the source for the apparent ego: it is merely the result of the aggregates (skandhas) which make up experience.

In this breaking down into constituent elements, the Buddha was heir to earlier element philosophies which had sought to characterize existing things as made up of a set of basic elements. The Buddha, however, eliminated mythological rhetoric, systematized world components into five groups, and used this approach not to characterize a substantial object, but to explain a delusion. He coordinated material components with psychological ones. The Buddha criticized the Brahmins' theories of an Absolute as yet another reification, instead giving a path to self-perfection as a means of transcending the world of name and form.[5]

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It had millions of followers in its day, so its probably safe to assume its a mixture of both when viewed as an indivisable whole.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two friends of mine are somewhat following budhism. They are IEE, LSI conflictors.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    H-ILE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It strikes me as a very Ni philosophy. Doesn't really seem like beta NF stuff, so I guess it's probably Gamma NT. That said, in some ways, despite that gamma NT origin, it almost seems like it would be more appealing to quadras other than gamma who are too emotionally vested in the outside world (Fe quads) and too scatterbrained/unfocused (Ne quads.) Also, re-reading, a bunch of that stuff seems very Te and matter of fact, the sort of stripped analytical structure. I guess Ne/Ti reductionism never actually makes things less complicated

Besides:
    "Life is suffering." quotation from The Definition of Ni.

Arctures: delta just produces boring people
    Arctures: but that's how we like it

vero: who needs a real person
    vero: That's why I date an SLI

dolphin: someone tell gulanzon adjusting shower water to the right temperature is not si

Kraezz: you just have to do the ****** thing sometimes

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buddhism clearly values and the most. It is neither about nor .

Typical buddhists are neither interested in money () nor mathematics (). They just want to behave ethically () and enjoy their life ().

In my opinion Buddhism is clearly INFj whereas Judaism, Christianity and Islam are ENFj, the Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses ISFj.
    Last edited by JohnDo; 08-27-2010 at 12:05 PM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buddhism is a fairly all-encompassing philosophy; hard to pin it to just one function. However, personally I see it as a more logic-driven religion, in terms of treating the mind and body as a comprehensive system that needs to be operated properly, compared to more Ethically driven Western religions that focus mostly on moral standards for conduct.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with labcoat. Typing buddhism in general is a futile exercise, there are too many branches and aspects of it. Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana alone might each be typed differently, not to mention the use of the terms themselves varies.

I tend to see Western religions as more stereotypically Beta - at least Christianity between V - XV century, Catholic and Orthodox churches to these days - with their emphasis on rules and laws as opposed to following one's own moral judgment. This is possibly different in protestant churches, though I really don't know to what extent.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    Buddhism clearly values and the most. It is neither about nor .

Typical buddhists are neither interested in money () nor mathematics (). They just want to behave ethically () and enjoy their life ().

In my opinion Buddhism is clearly INFj whereas Judaism, Christianity and Islam are ENFj, the Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses ISFj.
    The Buddha´s method it based on logical analysis of things, he was probably gamma or alpha NT. Very analytical, definitely not an xxFx philosophy, although it has, like every religion, its Feeling - especially - moral code and it values it a lot (though the buddhist moral code is probably the less rigorous of all the religions). The moral code is summed up in The Five Precepts:

1- Do not kill.
    2- Do not steal.
    3- Do not rape.
    4- Do not tell lies.
    5- Do not take intoxicants. - and these are all not imposed, but rather, one recites the precepts in the manner "I from hereon abstain from killing." and so on, if one wishes, in the initiation layperson small cerimony, often of a very short duration conducted by a buddhist master to several people who wish to formally take these vows and formally become buddhists.

But JohnDo is right when he says the buddhist lifestyle doesn´t value money () or mathematics () although reducing these functions to 'money' and 'mathematics' seems too simplistic for me. I can see a strong streak of a very analytical train of thought in, for example, Madhyamaka, the major school of Mahayana buddhist thought. I´d like to know whether analysis (breaking things up into pieces as opposed to synthesys which means making the pieces into a whole) is or - related. Because this is what you get in the buddhist theory. In the lifestyle of a buddhist, I can see a great valueing of and . But I´d like to know which T element dominates the philosophy itself.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aixelsyd , you think analytical thought is more Te than Ti ?

I imagine it´s more of Ti, from descriptions of Ti I have read.

To logically analyze everything is an LSI feature, and a very prominent feature of Buddhist philosophy. It is totally analytical as opposed to synthetical. I think Te is more synthethical, it takes many things separate and deals with them, makes them a single whole system with which it works. While Ti takes one single thing composed of many parts and cuts it down to pieces and goes on analyzing piece by piece.

At least the LSIs I know irl are very much analytical-oriented, it has something to do with mathematics I totally agree. Ti is a 'colder' reasoning because of this. 2+2=4 there´s no question about that. Te has to take more information into account and things are not this simple for Te.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

They are Te dominence if they choose the religion/philosophy outside their traditional family religious role. Fe types usually go by the moral traditions of their family/ancestory rather strictly.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mainly Feelers.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-buddhism.html

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ghtenment.html

Probably the highest concentrations are found in Fe, Alpha, and Gamma.