Thread: Privacy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Privacy

Is being a "private" person type-related?

What are the types that are MOST reticent to share information with others? Maybe this boils down to trust. But I mean you hear people say things like "he's a private person" so it's implied that you shouldn't ask him what's wrong because he might not want to share. And there are types who don't want to go on facebook at all due to "privacy issues". I mean, what the heck? Do they think they're 007 or something? What is there to hide?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

haha. i'm really weirdly private. like even a stranger asking me my favorite color feels invasive. and i'm paranoid about the music leaking out of my headphones on the bus because i don't want anyone i don't know to notice what kind of music i listen to. i know its really stupid, but i can't help it. but then sometimes i'll blurt out tmi, so its not like ever want anyone to know anything.

i think it has something to do with not wanting to make myself vulnerable only to be misunderstood or criticized.

i don't know if its type-related. i imagine it would be related to introversion at least somewhat.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    What is there to hide?
    For some people, there is still a lot to hide. Others might have already told everyone everything about themselves. Personally, I can relate to that well, because I also don't want any random stranger know my personal details, just because. I'm using Facebook and similar things, though.

Referring your actual question: Introverts, but I guess that's nothing new for you. I don't know any other correlation beyond that about privacy and sociotypes.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't have facebook, and unfortunately, I have nothing to hide. Well, in my case, it's sort of to do with not wanting people to think there's nothing much to me, or to find out things which show I'm deficient in some way. Not that I am deficient in any way...apart from the negative ones.

It takes time to be interesting and energy to maintain being interesting, and it takes seconds to have your facebook account hacked.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Well, in my case, it's sort of to do with not wanting people to think there's nothing much to me, or to find out things which show I'm deficient in some way. Not that I am deficient in any way...apart from the negative ones.
    i relate a lot to this, too.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

What are the types that are MOST reticent to share information with others? Maybe this boils down to trust. But I mean you hear people say things like "he's a private person" so it's implied that you shouldn't ask him what's wrong because he might not want to share. And there are types who don't want to go on facebook at all due to "privacy issues". I mean, what the heck? Do they think they're 007 or something? What is there to hide?
    well, i think it can depend on how keen people are for me.

like i hate people being really keen to know things about me, but i don't really mind discussing anything about me? unless people are going to be a dick about it or something.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything you say can be used against you.

In reality, it depends on the kind of information. Like discussing colors is alright, but asking about most things isn't, especially personal problems. And yes, I share more here than with most people in real life, as ridiculous as it is.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... plus everything aixelsyd said above, down to thinking patterns. ._.

(It always annoys me when someone puts my thoughts into words, only does it better. Kind of like invading mind's privacy except I rationalize to convince myself it isn't the case.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I sometimes say more than I should and then hope they don't accidentally let things slip around others or use it as black mail.
    wait, are you serious? you know people who would do that?

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

wait, are you serious? you know people who would do that?
    lots of people pull that shit

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I know such people, but they don't know me. Muahaha.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe subtype related? Gulenko talks about the Ni-subtype (using 8 subtypes):

"Strengthening function forms shut-off, self-submerged, up to autistic behavior"

I think I know two Ni-SEIs. They are really private.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Maybe subtype related? Gulenko talks about the Ni-subtype (using 8 subtypes):

"Strengthening function forms shut-off, self-submerged, up to autistic behavior"

I think I know two Ni-SEIs. They are really private.
    Ni-SEIs?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-SEIs?
    The quote was from extension to DCNH, eight-subtype system Gulenko briefs in that article. Sort of a preview to next version.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-SEIs?
    Using 8 subtypes. Harmonizing split into Si and Ni subtypes when using 8 subtypes.

System of DCNH Subtypes - Wikisocion

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they think they're 007 or something?
    Well I know I am. Heh. Really, I think some people just don't like living in a glass bowl.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Well I know I am. Heh. Really, I think some people just don't like living in a glass bowl.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts. Te PoLR in general seems prone to paranoia.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts. Te PoLR in general seems prone to paranoia.
    I also know an ILI who doesn't like to show his face in any pictures (at least the ones on facebook), if he can help it. Not sure why that is. Maybe he just doesn't like his face.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also know an ILI who doesn't like to show his face in any pictures (at least the ones on facebook), if he can help it. Not sure why that is. Maybe he just doesn't like his face.
    You may add another one to your collection.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    haha. i'm really weirdly private. like even a stranger asking me my favorite color feels invasive. and i'm paranoid about the music leaking out of my headphones on the bus because i don't want anyone i don't know to notice what kind of music i listen to. i know its really stupid, but i can't help it. but then sometimes i'll blurt out tmi, so its not like ever want anyone to know anything.

i think it has something to do with not wanting to make myself vulnerable only to be misunderstood or criticized.

i don't know if its type-related. i imagine it would be related to introversion at least somewhat.
    I think you're right about the it being introversion related. And I relate to what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Everything you say can be used against you.

In reality, it depends on the kind of information. Like discussing colors is alright, but asking about most things isn't, especially personal problems. And yes, I share more here than with most people in real life, as ridiculous as it is.
    I relate to this too.

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    My mother is paranoid about Facebook and refuses to join up. I'm no longer 100% sure of her type, but I think EII is highly likely. I'm much less paranoid than she is, I used to have an account, but I was pretty guarded about what I revealed and to whom.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts.
    You're right. This is true for me. But I think the alternative is just naivete. I have a facebook account but there's nothing on it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    You're right. This is true for me. But I think the alternative is just naivete. I have a facebook account but there's nothing on it.
    haha I have a facebook account and I clean up the wall (erase everything) when there's about three inches of stuff so there's nothing there anymore. I guess it's because I like to see the emptiness and not have people reviewing all my activity (which isn't very much anyway) because I don't like snoops. Is that the same as valuing my privacy? I guess so! LOL

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You shouldn't be so arrogant. Maybe there will be a situation in the future where other people are using the information, which you spread around so carelessly, against you.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    You shouldn't be so arrogant. Maybe there will be a situation in the future where other people are using the information, which you spread around so carelessly, against you.
    I'm not arrogant and I don't carelessly spread around my information.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not arrogant and I don't carelessly spread around my information.
    I have to admit that I don't know how you handle your information security, but your statement about that person seemed arrogant to me.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    I have to admit that I don't know how you handle your information security, but your statement about that person seemed arrogant to me.
    because I said he doesn't like his face? haha He's a good friend of mine and he would agree with that statement 100%. I happen to think he has a nice face, however.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introverts are private in the "shut up and go away" sense "so I can have my 'privacy'," however this kind of introversion is only correlated to Socionics introversion. It's definitely not exactly the same.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because I said he doesn't like his face? haha He's a good friend of mine and he would agree with that statement 100%. I happen to think he has a nice face, however.
    Well, then forget what I said.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm sort of a private person. It's more a reflexive thing for me though. I don't get the controlled caution some people seem to have. Now that I think about it I tend to give out a ton of canned responses to the typical small talk questions I get asked. I mean, people ask me how I'm doing and I never tell them if things are going bad. I don't know if that's technically being dishonest, but I don't want to bring things down by talking about whatever shit is going on and with 90% of the people asking you that question, they just probably don't care that much about what you have to say. Those questions are the ones I dislike the most. They make me feel almost robotic.

The deeper, more personal stuff can make me pause. I didn't realize how tentative and private I am until I started meeting new people constantly, getting to know them and telling them about myself. Something I've discovered is that I get along best with people that joke a lot and ask me unusual questions or just like to talk about completely strange topics. I still stall from time to time, like when one guy I was working with was talking about being in love and asked me if I ever had been. Talking about feelings is harder for me than I thought.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    The deeper, more personal stuff can make me pause. I didn't realize how tentative and private I am until I started meeting new people constantly, getting to know them and telling them about myself. Something I've discovered is that I get along best with people that joke a lot and ask me unusual questions or just like to talk about completely strange topics. I still stall from time to time, like when one guy I was working with was talking about being in love and asked me if I ever had been. Talking about feelings is harder for me than I thought.
    it's hard for me too. I prefer to avoid it, if possible. but that got me thinking: does that mean I'm incapable of being really close to people? I don't think so. I think there are different ways of being close/intimate and it doesn't have to include talking about your feelings. I was going to start another thread on that. Maybe I will.