Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Privacy

  1. #1
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Privacy

    Is being a "private" person type-related?

    What are the types that are MOST reticent to share information with others? Maybe this boils down to trust. But I mean you hear people say things like "he's a private person" so it's implied that you shouldn't ask him what's wrong because he might not want to share. And there are types who don't want to go on facebook at all due to "privacy issues". I mean, what the heck? Do they think they're 007 or something? What is there to hide?

  2. #2
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,629
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    haha. i'm really weirdly private. like even a stranger asking me my favorite color feels invasive. and i'm paranoid about the music leaking out of my headphones on the bus because i don't want anyone i don't know to notice what kind of music i listen to. i know its really stupid, but i can't help it. but then sometimes i'll blurt out tmi, so its not like ever want anyone to know anything.

    i think it has something to do with not wanting to make myself vulnerable only to be misunderstood or criticized.

    i don't know if its type-related. i imagine it would be related to introversion at least somewhat.

  3. #3
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    What is there to hide?
    For some people, there is still a lot to hide. Others might have already told everyone everything about themselves. Personally, I can relate to that well, because I also don't want any random stranger know my personal details, just because. I'm using Facebook and similar things, though.

    Referring your actual question: Introverts, but I guess that's nothing new for you. I don't know any other correlation beyond that about privacy and sociotypes.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  4. #4
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't have facebook, and unfortunately, I have nothing to hide. Well, in my case, it's sort of to do with not wanting people to think there's nothing much to me, or to find out things which show I'm deficient in some way. Not that I am deficient in any way...apart from the negative ones.

    It takes time to be interesting and energy to maintain being interesting, and it takes seconds to have your facebook account hacked.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  5. #5
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,629
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Well, in my case, it's sort of to do with not wanting people to think there's nothing much to me, or to find out things which show I'm deficient in some way. Not that I am deficient in any way...apart from the negative ones.
    i relate a lot to this, too.

  6. #6
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Is being a "private" person type-related?

    What are the types that are MOST reticent to share information with others? Maybe this boils down to trust. But I mean you hear people say things like "he's a private person" so it's implied that you shouldn't ask him what's wrong because he might not want to share. And there are types who don't want to go on facebook at all due to "privacy issues". I mean, what the heck? Do they think they're 007 or something? What is there to hide?
    well, i think it can depend on how keen people are for me.

    like i hate people being really keen to know things about me, but i don't really mind discussing anything about me? unless people are going to be a dick about it or something.

  7. #7
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everything you say can be used against you.

    In reality, it depends on the kind of information. Like discussing colors is alright, but asking about most things isn't, especially personal problems. And yes, I share more here than with most people in real life, as ridiculous as it is.

  8. #8
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ... plus everything aixelsyd said above, down to thinking patterns. ._.

    (It always annoys me when someone puts my thoughts into words, only does it better. Kind of like invading mind's privacy except I rationalize to convince myself it isn't the case.)

  9. #9
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I sometimes say more than I should and then hope they don't accidentally let things slip around others or use it as black mail.
    wait, are you serious? you know people who would do that?

  10. #10
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    wait, are you serious? you know people who would do that?
    lots of people pull that shit

  11. #11
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know such people, but they don't know me. Muahaha.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  12. #12
    "Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    near Russia
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Is being a "private" person type-related?
    Maybe subtype related? Gulenko talks about the Ni-subtype (using 8 subtypes):

    "Strengthening function forms shut-off, self-submerged, up to autistic behavior"

    I think I know two Ni-SEIs. They are really private.

  13. #13
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Maybe subtype related? Gulenko talks about the Ni-subtype (using 8 subtypes):

    "Strengthening function forms shut-off, self-submerged, up to autistic behavior"

    I think I know two Ni-SEIs. They are really private.
    Ni-SEIs?

  14. #14
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Ni-SEIs?
    The quote was from extension to DCNH, eight-subtype system Gulenko briefs in that article. Sort of a preview to next version.

  15. #15
    "Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    near Russia
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Ni-SEIs?
    Using 8 subtypes. Harmonizing split into Si and Ni subtypes when using 8 subtypes.

    System of DCNH Subtypes - Wikisocion

  16. #16
    squark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,120
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Do they think they're 007 or something?
    Well I know I am. Heh. Really, I think some people just don't like living in a glass bowl.

  17. #17
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Well I know I am. Heh. Really, I think some people just don't like living in a glass bowl.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts. Te PoLR in general seems prone to paranoia.

  19. #19
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts. Te PoLR in general seems prone to paranoia.
    I also know an ILI who doesn't like to show his face in any pictures (at least the ones on facebook), if he can help it. Not sure why that is. Maybe he just doesn't like his face.

  20. #20
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I also know an ILI who doesn't like to show his face in any pictures (at least the ones on facebook), if he can help it. Not sure why that is. Maybe he just doesn't like his face.
    You may add another one to your collection.

  21. #21
    Poster Nutbag The Exception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    my own personal bubble
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    haha. i'm really weirdly private. like even a stranger asking me my favorite color feels invasive. and i'm paranoid about the music leaking out of my headphones on the bus because i don't want anyone i don't know to notice what kind of music i listen to. i know its really stupid, but i can't help it. but then sometimes i'll blurt out tmi, so its not like ever want anyone to know anything.

    i think it has something to do with not wanting to make myself vulnerable only to be misunderstood or criticized.

    i don't know if its type-related. i imagine it would be related to introversion at least somewhat.
    I think you're right about the it being introversion related. And I relate to what you say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    Everything you say can be used against you.

    In reality, it depends on the kind of information. Like discussing colors is alright, but asking about most things isn't, especially personal problems. And yes, I share more here than with most people in real life, as ridiculous as it is.
    I relate to this too.

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts. Te PoLR in general seems prone to paranoia.
    My mother is paranoid about Facebook and refuses to join up. I'm no longer 100% sure of her type, but I think EII is highly likely. I'm much less paranoid than she is, I used to have an account, but I was pretty guarded about what I revealed and to whom.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP



  22. #22
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've noticed that IEIs are often paranoid about having Facebook accounts.
    You're right. This is true for me. But I think the alternative is just naivete. I have a facebook account but there's nothing on it.

  23. #23
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    You're right. This is true for me. But I think the alternative is just naivete. I have a facebook account but there's nothing on it.
    haha I have a facebook account and I clean up the wall (erase everything) when there's about three inches of stuff so there's nothing there anymore. I guess it's because I like to see the emptiness and not have people reviewing all my activity (which isn't very much anyway) because I don't like snoops. Is that the same as valuing my privacy? I guess so! LOL

  24. #24
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I also know an ILI who doesn't like to show his face in any pictures (at least the ones on facebook), if he can help it. Not sure why that is. Maybe he just doesn't like his face.
    You shouldn't be so arrogant. Maybe there will be a situation in the future where other people are using the information, which you spread around so carelessly, against you.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  25. #25
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    You shouldn't be so arrogant. Maybe there will be a situation in the future where other people are using the information, which you spread around so carelessly, against you.
    I'm not arrogant and I don't carelessly spread around my information.

  26. #26
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I'm not arrogant and I don't carelessly spread around my information.
    I have to admit that I don't know how you handle your information security, but your statement about that person seemed arrogant to me.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  27. #27
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    I have to admit that I don't know how you handle your information security, but your statement about that person seemed arrogant to me.
    because I said he doesn't like his face? haha He's a good friend of mine and he would agree with that statement 100%. I happen to think he has a nice face, however.

  28. #28
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,337
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Introverts are private in the "shut up and go away" sense "so I can have my 'privacy'," however this kind of introversion is only correlated to Socionics introversion. It's definitely not exactly the same.

  29. #29
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    because I said he doesn't like his face? haha He's a good friend of mine and he would agree with that statement 100%. I happen to think he has a nice face, however.
    Well, then forget what I said.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  30. #30
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I guess I'm sort of a private person. It's more a reflexive thing for me though. I don't get the controlled caution some people seem to have. Now that I think about it I tend to give out a ton of canned responses to the typical small talk questions I get asked. I mean, people ask me how I'm doing and I never tell them if things are going bad. I don't know if that's technically being dishonest, but I don't want to bring things down by talking about whatever shit is going on and with 90% of the people asking you that question, they just probably don't care that much about what you have to say. Those questions are the ones I dislike the most. They make me feel almost robotic.

    The deeper, more personal stuff can make me pause. I didn't realize how tentative and private I am until I started meeting new people constantly, getting to know them and telling them about myself. Something I've discovered is that I get along best with people that joke a lot and ask me unusual questions or just like to talk about completely strange topics. I still stall from time to time, like when one guy I was working with was talking about being in love and asked me if I ever had been. Talking about feelings is harder for me than I thought.

  31. #31
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    The deeper, more personal stuff can make me pause. I didn't realize how tentative and private I am until I started meeting new people constantly, getting to know them and telling them about myself. Something I've discovered is that I get along best with people that joke a lot and ask me unusual questions or just like to talk about completely strange topics. I still stall from time to time, like when one guy I was working with was talking about being in love and asked me if I ever had been. Talking about feelings is harder for me than I thought.
    it's hard for me too. I prefer to avoid it, if possible. but that got me thinking: does that mean I'm incapable of being really close to people? I don't think so. I think there are different ways of being close/intimate and it doesn't have to include talking about your feelings. I was going to start another thread on that. Maybe I will.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •