TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'Existential Depression in Gifted Individuals'

Existential Depression in Gifted Individuals - PersonalityCafe

Do you think this is related to Ni, intuition in general, or just actually 'gifted' individuals?

Imo, this seems like a basic manifestation of Ni and a major obstacle for base types especially.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suffer from this chronically.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Same here, I suffer from this a great deal.

I don't think you have to be gifted to suffer from existential depression. My IQ falls just short of the gifted range. However, it does require some degree of intelligence to even come up with the thought patterns associated with existential depression. I do think most suffering from existential depression probably have above average intelligence and I do think the gifted population is more prone to it compared to the average person.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

You would be making the mistake of equating intelligence/being gifted with being Intuitive. So yeah, just gifted individuals.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking that Ni-base actually have this as a theme of their life. I wouldn't doubt that others have experienced existential depression.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's related to both Ni and intelligence; essentially, the problem arises when one fervently seeks to find a deeper, hidden meaning when one doesn't exist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's the key. It doesn't exist. I spent years with tires spinning in the mud, going nowhere, looking for some magical answer. But there isn't one. Nowdays I just switch off my mind when it starts spinning like that.
    INTp

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone goes through this at some point. If they don't they are irretrievably stupid and close minded; admittedly, this covers the entire religious population... which covers the vast majority of the world's inhabitants.

That's a far better reason to become depressed, actually.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Existential Depression? I went through that once when I was 15 or so. One of the best things that ever happened to me, actually.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, this is pretty weak. I've had psychosis. Imagine living in fear that midgets living in your bed are going to slit your throat every night, and that those same midgets knew what you had for breakfast -- and can use it as a weapon against you.
    Capitalism is the belief that the rich won't work hard when they don't earn enough money, and that the poor won't work hard when they earn too much.

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Why does this have anything to do with intelligence? Somehow feeling that life has no meaning makes you smart? Surely it's possible to understand the concepts behind it and not be driven into depression by them.
    I meant that some (non-trivial) degree of intelligence is a prerequisite for seriously contemplating abstract issues; however, anyone can briefly entertain such thoughts. I meant that most people who suffer from existential depression are intelligent, but most people who are intelligent do not suffer from existential depression. Personally, I've spent a considerable amount of time reflecting on such issues, but I've never been unduly troubled by the conclusions I've drawn. If I were to (very possibly incorrectly) speculate on how different types handle existential issues, I would characterize it as a matter of denial versus acceptance.

Ni-ego: Reality seems to have some drastic shortcomings, but this cannot be; there must be some redeeming features that I'm missing and I must be able to transcend the apparent limitations of reality.

Others: Reality seems to have some drastic shortcomings, but as I am powerless to change them, I must accept them and work within reality's confines.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Meh, this is pretty weak. I've had psychosis. Imagine living in fear that midgets living in your bed are going to slit your throat every night, and that those same midgets knew what you had for breakfast -- and can use it as a weapon against you.
    Are we really going to play the "Hah, your mental disorder pales in comparison to mine!" game?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I said I was psychotic. What do I look like a megalomaniac?
    Capitalism is the belief that the rich won't work hard when they don't earn enough money, and that the poor won't work hard when they earn too much.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's extremely rare that I would get depressed at existential questions. Some of those things in the link that were supposed to be depressing, are actually pretty uplifting imo. Like this idea "That is, humans do not enter a world which is inherently structured. We must give the world a structure which we ourselves create." That's just cool when you think of it.

Also, this one, this one is really positive imo, "only one very small organism in a quite large world, and that there is a frightening freedom regarding how one chooses to live one's life" except the freedom isn't frightening at all. It's awesome. That takes a huge weight off of a person.

One thing that has depressed me before though, that it touches on, are all the choices. I always looked at choosing a path as though the whole world is depending on me to make the right decision. I really did feel like that growing up - like the whole world could rest on the decisions I made. It was all up to me, and I'd better be perfect or I'd screw everything up, and good thing it was up to me, because I could handle it better than anyone. Haha, I was a little bit cocky. That is a heavy burden, even for those who feel they can handle it. Realizing that it's not all up to you is a very nice contrast to that. While you're still responsible for your actions, the gravity of finding the exact right path to take is relieved, and you can construct your life how it pleases you.

I would think that just as many "gifted" children would feel a heavy weight to make the right choices because of how people depended on them and looked to them for answers from even a very young age, and that these kinds of ideas and questions would be a relief rather than a cause of depression. It'd be nice for them to realize and know that the world doesn't revolve around them, and not forging a path to leadership of it isn't really going to be the disaster they imagine.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I suffer from this chronically.
    Ditto.

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not strictly relevant, but reminded me of this study, which may give you lines of inquiry:
    The ups and downs of smouldering talent Mind Hacks

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's more on how people are treated objectively.

We think that we're being fair to people by treating them the same, but that is just bogus. Different people need different amounts of affection. People who are gifted, talented, artistic/what have you, need more care than others to just survive basic life- it's just how it is. In many ways we think gifted people can take care of themselves better. They seem superficially independent.

It doesn't matter if it's 'fake' if it helps society in the long run. The best social workers already know this. Jimmy needs 5 more compliments a day to feel better about himself, but Steve only needs 1....and Susan doesn't really need any at all. It doesn't even matter if it's not all that genuine. (though it has to be somewhat) As long as it's professional and classy it will do the job as well.

If you want Jimmy to stop being emo and tragic, just treat him better. It's not that hard. Although it's annoying when he's being emo and socially difficult compared to the rest of the kids, that just means he's crying for help louder: so give him extra attention. If he's really faking insecurity just for attention that's another thing, but that's rarely the case.

I know people think this might be 'sheltering people' or like, being nice to people making them not prepared for the cruelty of the world. But that's not really what you're doing. They're already going to experience enough of that naturally on their own. As a therapist and professional, your duty is to help circumvent that- and that means giving them as much of a boost as they need to take on the next challenge. It doesn't matter if it seems superficially 'unfair' or not. Different people have different levels of sensitivity. If you want an emo tragic kid to be 'productive' then you're going to have to be the one that treats him better.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

god im like a stereotypical teacher/professor that way.

I would soooo befriend the nerdy introverted smart kid that EVERYBODY picks on, and I just couldn't help but have him or her as my favorite. lol.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see anything exclusive to Ni individuals regarding the subject matter. I do, however, dislike the Fe (/Ti valuing) slant the author has given to the article. Makes it unappealing for me to read.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Divided.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The touching/hugging thing is ridiculous. The author sounds like an Fe-Ej.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I dunno if it's all that ridiculous, or maybe it's just something particular to myself, but I can be pretty clingy with my significant other. I am definitely a "cuddler."

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I dunno if it's all that ridiculous, or maybe it's just something particular to myself, but I can be pretty clingy with my significant other. I am definitely a "cuddler."
    Dude, that has nothing to do with what I find ridiculous. It's the context in which it is being used in the article.

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    The touching/hugging thing is ridiculous. The author sounds like an Fe-Ej.
    Human touch has been found to generate a neuro-chemical response that, among other things, alleviates stress and negative thoughts. That might not be the case for all individuals -- being touched by a Catholic priest might not produce the desired effect -- but I wouldn't automatically dismiss it as ridiculous.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Dude, that has nothing to do with what I find ridiculous. It's the context in which it is being used in the article.
    Oh, ok, yeah I agree then haha.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Begoner View Post
    Human touch has been found to generate a neuro-chemical response that, among other things, alleviates stress and negative thoughts. That might not be the case for all individuals -- being touched by a Catholic priest might not produce the desired effect -- but I wouldn't automatically dismiss it as ridiculous.
    Tell that to Mr. James T. Webb. I'm not interested.

And btw, it's not about what responses it produces (or should produce), it's about being fucked up in the head enough to use it as a prescribed treatment with targeted effect.

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And btw, it's not about what responses it produces (or should produce), it's about being fucked up in the head enough to use it as a prescribed treatment with targeted effect.
    Shouldn't a medical (or psychological) treatment be prescribed solely on the basis of its efficacy? Hugs are cheap to administer and, though they might have the adverse side effect of tousled hair, are not dangerous; as such, they seem to be a very worthwhile treatment. Maybe you think that existential depression is a normal stage of some people's development and should not be "cured"; in that case, however, your quarrel would not be with hugs per se, but with any attempt to modify the behavior of such a person.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tough existential depression since I was 14 and I´m Ni-PoLR.

I just think most intelligent people are depressed, obviously. Because they kind of sense the meaninglessness of life, a kind of inner void. The lack of reason for this existence...you live. and at any time which you don´t choose you just die. WHAT A GREAT REALITY. and when you see that your ego is actually a fraud, like everyone else´s , it becomes even better. great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psssh, I'm not gifted or a Ni-dom, and I still "have" it. It sounds rather like a normal stage of growth, I must say.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    Psssh, I'm not gifted or a Ni-dom, and I still "have" it. It sounds rather like a normal stage of growth, I must say.
    Either that or it's also prevalent among forum-goers.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    irretrievably stupid
    lmao <3
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Ditto.
    thirded.

I think it's basically a manifestation of chronic anxiety: "the thinking disease."

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Meh, this is pretty weak.
    Obviously it's not if people kill themselves because of it.

For what it's worth I've experienced psychosis multiple times as well, and both are pretty awful.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a hundred people read the premise of the thread, I would imagine that suddenly a hundred people would claim to have existential depression.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    If a hundred people read the premise of the thread, I would imagine that suddenly a hundred people would claim to have existential depression.
    It's the in thing to be existentially depressed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Either that or it's also prevalent among forum-goers.
    We all get together and whine about the concept of life, spreading useless misery over the internet.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Existential Depression in Gifted Individuals - PersonalityCafe

Do you think this is related to Ni, intuition in general, or just actually 'gifted' individuals?

Imo, this seems like a basic manifestation of Ni and a major obstacle for base types especially.
    I went through a period like that from about age 17-21. Then I found philosophy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I went through a period like that from about age 17-21. Then I found philosophy.
    Funny, philosophical thinking is what GAVE me existential depression.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    It's the in thing to be existentially depressed.
    No, it's the in-thing to feel special or "gifted" if you will.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldilocks View Post
    Sorry to hear that you suffered from this jxrtes and I agree that not much in this life would compare to needing to fight for your sanity and it is definitely a step or two beyond Existential Depression!
    Hope you never experience it again, ever.
    Thanks. FWIW, I'm sure that any form of depression is awful and I was only kidding about the "pretty weak" remark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast