Thread: LIIs-INTjs do you prefer more exciting or regular possibilities?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LIIs-INTjs do you prefer more exciting or regular possibilities?

LIIs, do you prefer amazing, exciting possibilities, or more laconic and boring possibilities?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh strange... no one is replying.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, but you do have an answer. Let me present to you two possibilities:

a) respond to this thread (a laconic and boring possibility)
    b) do something else (an amazing and exciting possibility)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amazing and exciting possibilities but really the level of excitement and boredom is all relative anyways.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is hard to answer because you've phrased it as an Fi thing -- "do you prefer". LIIs are rarely aware of their preferences, if they even have them. I really have no pre-existing preference between the two types of possibilities you mentioned, and if I were to pick one, I would have to sit down and try to figure out some logical criterion by which to decide which one is "better".

For an LII, I think possibilities are measured more by how likely they are, not how exciting they are. Excitement does not affect probability, so it is irrelevant when determining truth. Ti logic is what we care about, not Fi preferences.
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well now really, do you get more excited by fantastic situations and movies, or small leaps in scientific understanding? (nerd core stuff)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Well now really, do you get more excited by fantastic situations and movies, or small leaps in scientific understanding? (nerd core stuff)
    Hmm... I'd say somewhere in-between. ATM I can call to mind two things that I got excited about: the Portal credits song the first time I beat the game, and an idea about computer game design that I had last night. Neither one of those fit solidly in either category... they're mostly just... great ideas.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    Oh, but you do have an answer. Let me present to you two possibilities:

a) respond to this thread (a laconic and boring possibility)
    b) do something else (an amazing and exciting possibility)
    If we were on a points per post system, I would alot you at least a dozen points for this one.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like dressing up like a girl and kissing boys at the farmer's market.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I like dressing up like a girl and kissing boys at the farmer's market.
    If I were single, that might be fun.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK how about this one: does fantasy drama excite you? Like, does watching LoTR pull you in? Does a video game?

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK how about this one: does fantasy drama excite you? Like, does watching LoTR pull you in? Does a video game?
    LoTR is an acquired taste I never acquired. Fantasy is nice, but I don't feel like I've opened a "whole new world" by immersing myself in one.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I really have no pre-existing preference between the two types of possibilities you mentioned, and if I were to pick one, I would have to sit down and try to figure out some logical criterion by which to decide which one is "better".
    Lol, you remind me of niffweed here.

The question is hard to answer because you've phrased it as an Fi thing -- "do you prefer". LIIs are rarely aware of their preferences, if they even have them.
    But I didn't know LIIs rarely had preferences. That's a new one to me.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. I greatly appreciate a well thought out story but I never feel as if I'm in the universe they created. In a role playing game, my mind is much more focused on the "What is my best next move" strategy aspect than the "What would my character do in this situation" Role-Playing aspect. Every single video game I play, I play as if it was chess. I always thought the Role Playing aspect of games would click well with Ni types, being highly imaginative.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Unless there's an obvious logical choice, or a subject that inspires strong emotions, I usually feel like a passive observer, like some sort of alien anthropologist observing life on earth but not really having the same instinctive preferences and reactions that other people do. Often it's like there's this empty blankness where my feelings should be.

This is one reason why we need ESEs -- to help us feel things and help us feel more "human".
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speak for yourself, please. I have preferences and there's a good lot of times I'm outspoken about them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is hard to answer because you've phrased it as an Fi thing -- "do you prefer". LIIs are rarely aware of their preferences, if they even have them. I really have no pre-existing preference between the two types of possibilities you mentioned, and if I were to pick one, I would have to sit down and try to figure out some logical criterion by which to decide which one is "better".
    I agree. My initial reaction to his question was more of an indifferent shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Fi-role function. But preferences is a fairly ambiguous term. We may be speaking of different things when talking about preferences.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh I think conservative leaning communitarian LIIs (like Krig and Logos) might be a little in the dark about their preferences, maybe, because they can't be modeled easily. I think most LIIs, though, have a clear sense of their preferences.

On the other hand, when pressed Krig did open up about his preferences, so there may be more to this than first appears....

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is easier to answer. The answer is that I get excited about these things in different ways (assuming I do get excited about them, which I don't usually). I get excited at higher energy levels for particularly awesome movies, fantastic situations, etc., but it's a less "serious" excitement than I get about small leaps in scientific understanding. Movies = "fun" exciting, science = "important" exciting.

If they're well made, yes. My ability to suspend disbelief is quite good.

Uh I think conservative leaning communitarian LIIs (like Krig and Logos) might be a little in the dark about their preferences, maybe, because they can't be modeled easily. I think most LIIs, though, have a clear sense of their preferences.

On the other hand, when pressed Krig did open up about his preferences, so there may be more to this than first appears....
    What does "conservative leaning communitarian" mean in your system? Links to explanations?
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say that either of those did, but "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" did (the book, I mean; the movie was horrible). I do fantasy forum roleplaying and quite enjoy it, and unlike Crispy I do focus on what my character would do; but it isn't about the drama, it's about an interesting thing put into an interesting situation, "let's see what happens."

(Note: Like Crispy, I do treat most roleplaying games like chess; that's what happens when I'm confronted with a chance of failure. I did some pen-and-paper roleplaying, and I only adhered to the story then when I was GM.)

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari