Thread: Greatest American victory

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Greatest American victory

What do you guys think was the greatest American victory in history?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

The Revolution. It was the only just war America ever fought.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Battle of Midway perhaps?

As for most critical, I don't really know.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    You forgot the War of 1812

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wasn't a victory because we (as in the British Empire) kicked your arse. (That's "ass" for all you uneducated Americans) .

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Was that really a war though? And was it really an American victory? The scuffle shouldn't have started in the first place.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wasn't a victory because we (as in the British Empire) kicked your arse. (That's "ass" for all you uneducated Americans) .
    ...but not in the battle of New Orleans.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Was that really a war though? And was it really an American victory? The scuffle shouldn't have started in the first place.
    It was a victory in New Orleans and Baltimore.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

congrats US on that one!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    It was a victory in New Orleans and Baltimore.
    and how were they significant?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The White House was burned down, that qualifies as a victory.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The White House was burned down, that qualifies as a victory.
    That was a result of the Bladensburg Races. By mainstream history it was the most embarrassing defeat in American History. Lucky for us, there was an unusual storm that kicked the British out before they finished the complete destruction of Washington DC.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and how were they significant?
    New Orleans was not significant to the war itself, (the war had technically ended before the battle) but it was a psychological victory for the Americans after the war; it was also the event that made Andrew Jackson famous.

Baltimore was significant for the US. You see, we were losing practically every battle up until then, and in hindsight, the US could have went back to the British had it not been for the people of Baltimore stopping the British there. The northern states were reluctant to get involved with a war against Great Britain, because their trade was almost dependent on them, there was even talk of some of the states leaving the union because of it. The British were on their way northward, and Baltimore could have been the last point of resistance before the British would encounter none possibly as far south as Philadelphia.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

New Orleans was not significant to the war itself, (the war had technically ended before the battle) but it was a psychological victory for the Americans after the war; it was also the event that made Andrew Jackson famous.

Baltimore was significant for the US. You see, we were losing practically every battle up until then, and in hindsight, the US could have went back to the British had it not been for the people of Baltimore stopping the British there. The northern states were reluctant to get involved with a war against Great Britain, because their trade was almost dependent on them, there was even talk of some of the states leaving the union because of it. The British were on their way northward, and Baltimore could have been the last point of resistance before the British would encounter none possibly as far south as Philadelphia.
    The city may have been significant to the US, but I wouldn't consider something that might be considered a draw as an American victory. Britain was able to keep its Canadian territories while maintaining a war against France.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The city may have been significant to the US, but I wouldn't consider something that might be considered a draw as an American victory. Britain was able to keep its Canadian territories while maintaining a war against France.
    The people of Baltimore achieved their objective by defending the city and preventing onward movement of the British. Whereas the British did not achieve their objective in capturing the city.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The people of Baltimore achieved their objective by defending the city and preventing onward movement of the British. Whereas the British did not achieve their objective in capturing the city.
    jxrtes provided a list of wars (for the most part), and you said he'd forgotten the 'war' of 1812. I don't dispute that Britain did not achieve that minor objective, but I don't see how it's significant in the wider scheme of things?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congrats US on that one!
    only America can take down America! AM I RIGHT?!
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Civil War was an African victory, if anything.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Creepy-male

1940, Ryan, Oklahoma --- occurance of the greatest american victory

Chuck Norris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Carlos Ray "Chuck" Norris (born March 10, 1940) ..... Norris was born in Ryan, Oklahoma

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    The Civil War was an African victory, if anything.
    The American Civil War was a victory for protectionism and big government. Slavery -- contrary to the popular historical perception -- was not even a corollary to the conflict, and hardly the central tenet of the Confederacy's attempt to secede from the Union, nor was it the North's main battle cry.

(Further reading...)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    The American Civil War was a victory for protectionism and big government. Slavery -- contrary to the popular historical perception -- was not even a corollary to the conflict, and hardly the central tenet of the Confederacy's attempt to secede from the Union, nor was it the North's main battle cry.

(Further reading...)
    They teach that in junior year of high school I remember, and I remember my teacher told us to forget all the bullshit you have heard about the civil war by the past history teachers you had, because that was what they preach in elementary level.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

What are you rolling your eyes for? Your country managed to abolish slavery peacefully. This would have been the natural course for America, as well, had Lincoln not been the warmongering, extortionist fuck that he was. That son of a bitch was a big link in a long chain of reasons why the American Federal government is as overblown, centralized, and inefficient as it is today.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Further reading...)
    Even if it wasn't the main point of the war, it was a victorious side effect for colored folk. I did not mean to imply that it had anything to do with why they were fighting. Actually, I guess I can't even call it a side effect if it's not related. Meh.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone knows that the only just war is the Rebellion vs. the Galactic Empire. Everything else just doesn't measure up to its epicness.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

What are you rolling your eyes for? Your country managed to abolish slavery peacefully. This would have been the natural course for America, as well, had Lincoln not been the warmongering, extortionist fuck that he was. That son of a bitch was a big link in a long chain of reasons why the American Federal government is as overblown, centralized, and inefficient as it is today.
    Why did it take the US so long to abolish slavery considering that its Constitution talks about all men being born free and equal, etc. etc.? These rights were clearly not being upheld at the time of the Civil War.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did it take the US so long to abolish slavery considering that its Constitution talks about all men being born free and equal, etc. etc.? These rights were clearly not being upheld at the time of the Civil War.
    because it's all about politics, just because one things says "all men born free" doesn't mean millions of people would give up slavery (their asset). happens all the time throughout history and everywhere.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    only America can take down America! AM I RIGHT?!
    No. Watch out America, China is coming!
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I heard it, there was a split on how to interpret the constitution as well. Many in the south argued that the right to own property was an unalienable right. Whereas there was an ideological split as far back as the founding fathers over whether to grant as much protection to property rights.

The original phrasing of the Virgina Declaration of Rights even included the pursuit of property, but Jefferson and Franklin were both in agreement to replace it with "the pursuit of Happiness," instead. Franklin himself was strong proponent of taxation.

Quote Originally Posted by Declaration of Independence
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Creepy-

Last edited by Parasite; 09-14-2010 at 11:13 PM.

TIM
    Fi-ESI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Revolution. It was the only just war America ever fought.
    I just have to comment on this. I personally think the American Revolution was a ridiculously self-centered move on the part of Americans. HOLY SHIT, A TINY TAX ON TEA AND PAPER!!! THOSE DIRTY LIMEYS ARE PREVENTING US FROM STEALING INDIAN LAND!!! The Boston Massacre was an act of defense by the British against bunch of homicidal yokels. The Thirteen Colonies had no right to want independence. The British Empire was/is very benevolent and Americans starting a major war that resulted in thousands of dead, maimed, widows, and orphans over a tiny tax was bullshit. VIVA LA BRITISH EMPIRE!!!

P.S. I'm American.

Edit: on the issue of the Civil War, I do believe slavery was the main issue. Sure, the rednecks down South said it's about states' right, but what state right are they bitchin' about? Slavery, of course. I have no sympathy for them in regards to Sherman's total war and such.
    Last edited by Calvinist777; 09-14-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    phobic 6w5 sp/so/sx (tri-type: 6w5/1w9/4w5)
    Fi-ESI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US south was missing the boat on the industrial revolution. it is not surprising that they lost.
    asd

Creepy-bg

Lady Gaga