TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Obsession with symmetry and information elements

Is a Ti thing?

I know I'm kind of anal about symmetry sometimes. Here's a case in point. I'll make a document and I want all the headers to look alike- have the same font style and size and take pains to insure it looks that way even when it's a personal document and I'm the only one reading it. It bothers me when one header doesn't quite match all the others even though its clear its a header. I could see how its a Ti thing- wanting internal consistency throughout. I would think a Te would be less concerned about making them look all uniform and more concerned about having headers clear enough to stand out.

Thoughts?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i'm the same way. idk about "obsessed" but it really irks me if they don't match up, with the same spacing between the header and the narrative on each page. maybe Si HA?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never knew a LII who didn't insist on symmetry wherever they could make it. I think it's a fixation caused by Ti itself, that it wants an opposite for everything. When I was a kid and bored, I would peck my finger on desks in diamond-shaped patterns.

Whenever I make game maps, I feel this nearly irresistable urge to make the left and right sides of the map resemble each other. I have to focus myself on producing something that has real value in a fictional setting, to avoid resorting to the instinct for symmetry. (gets real tiring, real fast).

i'm the same way. idk about "obsessed" but it really irks me if they don't match up, with the same spacing between the header and the narrative on each page. maybe Si HA?
    Fascinating! I didn't know that about EIIs.

Creepy-male

I'm like this too. I know an LSE who enjoys maths because it's very precise, and an ESE who was forever extolling the beautiful side of maths.

I think it's just a certain flavour of aesthetic appeal. Neatly organized and symmetrical things are good-looking by nature.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    I think it's just a certain flavour of aesthetic appeal. Neatly organized and symmetrical things are good-looking by nature.
    i dig it.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LII domain before the data crash pointed out an image which was symmetrical and focused on a single, clear point. It said in the domain that this picture was both a good indicator for how the LII thinks and an image that he would relate to/like due to its symmetry and focus point, so wikisocion agrees with OP... or at least used to.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    The LII domain before the data crash pointed out an image which was symmetrical and focused on a single, clear point. It said in the domain that this picture was both a good indicator for how the LII thinks and an image that he would relate to/like due to its symmetry and focus point, so wikisocion agrees with OP... or at least used to.
    ok. it's important to me aesthetically but i don't know if i would describe it as representative of how i think, especially the idea of having a single focus point. so maybe the concept of symmetry is more important to Ti types in some fundamental way.

i just like pretty looking documents.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this too, but it´s more an obsession with order. My room is very neatly organized, everything has its place.

I think it´s more an E1/E9 thing, if you want to relate this to any personality typology.

E1s want order for order´s sake, and E9s often find order and symmetry and things like this to be 'neat', 'good' and other adjectives, from my own experience. E9s, when prodded to do something, will often waste so much time with preparations and getting everything in order so that they can do the task.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's another thing I'm anal about. It bothers me when buildings have lights burned out for letters even though its obvious what the word is. I just like things to be complete I guess.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    Alpha NT?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's not so much about symmetry as not having anything out of place. If I'm working on a math problem with pen and paper, I don't pay attention to orderliness at all -- after I fill up the middle of the page, I rotate the paper and write in the margins. Since the whole paper is a mess, there's no one thing that's out of place. On the other hand, if I'm typing an essay, I try very hard to make everything symmetrical and regular -- if I introduce a particular convention somewhere (for example, making sure that every line of text in the body of my essay takes up at least a third of the paper's width -- that is, if I finish a paragraph and the last word happens to be sitting on a line of its own, I'll rewrite the paragraph until that is no longer the case), I adhere to it for the entire essay. If I'm pressed for time, I might skimp on the quality of my writing, but I will never let my paper be aesthetically inconsistent in any respect. Alas, I've had Microsoft Word thwart my plans frequently with its auto-formatting.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I type Adrian Monk as LII. He has a bit of an issue with this as well.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

redundant but, the trait itself is distorted by functions. Ti stereotypically has the most "symmetrical" attitude, but I've seen it throughout all the types. both an SLE-Ti coworker and I have a pedantic obsession with the positions of all utensils, glasses, etc.; my IEE-Fi boss has this foreign attentiveness to the mechanically-sound functioning of rudimentary processes; I even see a sense of symmetry in the stably-directed social control the ESE-Si cook manifests (if all people operate within their boundaries without sacrificing mobility or relatability, things will function smoothly); the list goes on. point is: not inherently type-related. oh, and enneagram will determine why you have a specific obsession with symmetry.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if I'm way too into symmetry... and odd numbers...?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only weird about symmetry when it comes to my face (eyebrows for example), actually. Everything else just needs to be balanced.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't think obsession with symmetry, details, neatness, consistency etc. is a Ti thing. If anything, it may be related to OCD. Or general character traits.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a human thing. That's how we became good: line things up and build. It's what makes us better than animals.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    H-ILE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I definitely like it. A lot of what you have mentioned to me seems like precision. To me, symmetry is important, especially in writing and specially. In terms of writing, I mean poetic symmetry. I like to write to iterations of something, like a phrase, and have them read almost the same but mean completely different things. In terms of spacial things, when I hear theories (scientifically especially) it annoys me if I can't see how all events would be the same from any perspective. I know I get a theory once the symmetry clicks. I'd say that abstract sort of symmetry thing is Ti/Ne - Ne/Ti

Arctures: delta just produces boring people
    Arctures: but that's how we like it

vero: who needs a real person
    vero: That's why I date an SLI

dolphin: someone tell gulanzon adjusting shower water to the right temperature is not si

Kraezz: you just have to do the ****** thing sometimes

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like assymmetry.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normalizing subtype in DCNH?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My Dad's into assymmetry. It's an artist thing. Personally, I care more about visual balance than about symmetry.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er, I thought we were just talking about simple symmetry. All these bad habits, OCD problems and obssession with item arrangements are definitely not type related.

It's just attraction to symmetrical style as well as a tendency to present things in a clear and structurally concise way. I've thought that symmetry naturally follows in a system that is as focused on clarity as the function Ti.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I like symmetry, but with all symmetry, there can be a danger of uniformity and sterility.

I work with symmetry but inject a bit of chaos and disorder into it to create a accent.

It's just a canvas to paint on.

I have a thing with symmetry and I always associated it with being neurotic

TIM
    3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

언제나.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It doesn't matter to me. I look for alignment; right, left or centered. That's all. Spacing and uniformity and such, I could care less about.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This has to be a Si base thing. Harmony in symmetry. The slightest aesthetic deviations tend to bother them.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Si-base. The Si-base usually recognizes that breaks in symmetry are 1) necessary for beauty 2) occurs in nature.

Most likely Si-HA. Might have to do with Ti too.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Not Si-base. The Si-base usually recognizes that breaks in symmetry are 1) necessary for beauty 2) occurs in nature.

Most likely Si-HA. Might have to do with Ti too.
    They tend to be dictatorial and controlling because nothing can be out of place. These personality traits are not characteristic of EII who tend to not mind their environment very much. Have you seen the Nazi, or any army march? Really, I could care less about such manners.
    -