Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 129

Thread: Guess the ENFP and ESFJ description

  1. #1
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Guess the ENFP and ESFJ description

    Since you guys seem to think there is no difference or the types can be confused, here's a little test for you guys.

    I have two descriptions, ENFP and ESFJ. Guess which one is which. Remember these are descriptions from an MBTI book, but from my point of view they can be easely typed with the use of socionics IM. Showing that MBTI and socionics don't differ that much!

    Let's hear it...
    Last edited by Jarno; 08-13-2010 at 03:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1)

    This type is first and foremost energized by new ideas and possibilities. Outgoing friendly and talkative, they love being around people and often have a large and varied assortment of friends and acquaintances. These types are usually quick and clever and commonly use language to capture people's attention and entertain them as well as to express their creative offbeat personalities. They like to tell stories jokes and use puns and plays on words. Naturally irreverent, they usually speak rapidly their language is peppered with humor and metaphors, and they may even swear more often than some other types. Insatiably curious, these types are quick to strike up conversations with strangers, ask lots of questions and tend to finish other peoples sentences. Their conversation can be very scattered as they move from one thought to the next without finishing the first as new inspriations strike them. With regard to appearance, these types often have an original artsy look and dress more for themselves than for others or to make a statement.

  3. #3
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    2)

    These types are perhaps the most friendly and outgoing of all the sixteen types. They are supremely helpful to others in a myriad of real and concrete ways. Usually polite and somewhat proper, these types are also physically demonstrative, pumping your hand when shaking it, touching an arm or shoulder when making a point, or even giving bear hugs when appropiate. They wear their emotions on their sleeves and their faces usually provide an accurate reflection of their feelings. Their language reflects their strongly held beliefs and values; they may use the word 'should' a lot and freely offer opinions and reactions to everything around them. These types are often the first to volunteer when something needs to be done and tend to take on projects with gusto and purpose. This can sometimes mean they may act somewhat controlling, determined to be sure every detail is done the way they think is best. They often see things in terms of black and white and speak and act with great conviction.

  4. #4
    Slippery when wet Simon Ssmall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ✈ ↺
    Posts
    2,231
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1 - ENFP and more likely ENFp however do you really think that this ENFP description captures ENFp in socionics?
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

    ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

    johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

  5. #5
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1 is ENFP but could easily be seen as an Alpha Extrovert.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  6. #6
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    1 is ENFP but could easily be seen as an Alpha Extrovert.
    until you read the alpha extrovert descriptions, then you can easely distinguish between them. But if you really think that 1 might be ESFJ then I find that extremely strange. The first line just screams Ne. It's almost litteraly what Ne encompasses.

  7. #7
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    1 - ENFP and more likely ENFp however do you really think that this ENFP description captures ENFp in socionics?
    Well for an MBTI description, which is written by someone who has never heard of the information elements in socionics, it contains a lot of stuff that is related to information elements. I think that is rather impressive.

  8. #8
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    until you read the alpha extrovert descriptions, then you can easely distinguish between them. But if you really think that 1 might be ESFJ then I find that extremely strange. The first line just screams Ne. It's almost litteraly what Ne encompasses.
    That's because the description was written by a person that started out with the view that ENFp is primarily defined by dominance of Ne's "interest in ideas". Its circularity at its worst.

  9. #9
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    until you read the alpha extrovert descriptions, then you can easely distinguish between them. But if you really think that 1 might be ESFJ then I find that extremely strange. The first line just screams Ne. It's almost litteraly what Ne encompasses.
    Yes, but I think any Ne-valuing extrovert could easily identify with the description (although less so LSE than the other 3), both in terms of the particulars and the general impression of the kind of person being discussed.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  10. #10
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Yes, but I think any Ne-valuing extrovert could easily identify with the description (although less so LSE than the other 3), both in terms of the particulars and the general impression of the kind of person being discussed.
    Yes until he reads the other descriptions. You cannot only read one description and decide whether you are that or not. You have to compare and choose the best. That's the right method.

    Everyone can relate to something out of every description.

  11. #11
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    That's because the description was written by a person that started out with the view that ENFp is primarily defined by dominance of Ne's "interest in ideas". Its circularity at its worst.
    The description comes from an mbti book. It's not my own. Or do I misunderstand what you mean?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, first enfp, second esfj. But most parts of 2nd could pass for ENFP as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    until you read the alpha extrovert descriptions, then you can easely distinguish between them. .
    where's the description?

  13. #13
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Seriously, it' pretty clear that they are ENFp and ESFj respectively. I don't even know why people are arguing this point. The similarities you see between them are the same similarities you would see in socionics descriptions considering that ENFp and ESFj do look similar in many regards.

    IMO, the only descriptions which could be confused are some INTJ and INTP descriptions I've read.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  14. #14
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    Seriously, it' pretty clear that they are ENFp and ESFj respectively. I don't even know why people are arguing this point. The similarities you see between them are the same similarities you would see in socionics descriptions considering that ENFp and ESFj do look similar in many regards.

    IMO, the only descriptions which could be confused are some INTJ and INTP descriptions I've read.
    exactly. I don't understand that arguing either. Probably because they just don't like to lose their face. Which is understandable. But you would be surprised how many people on this forum think MBTI descriptions are totally different, even describing totally different types.
    I agree with the INTJ and INTP. Those are most difficult. Though some MBTI talks about strategists when describing INTP. Which makes things more distinguishable.

  15. #15
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    yeah, first enfp, second esfj. But most parts of 2nd could pass for ENFP as well.




    where's the description?
    The source is 'the act of speedreading people' of Paul D Tieger.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    The source is 'the act of speedreading people' of Paul D Tieger.

    hah yeah i have that book, that's why 1st sounded so familiar. but seriously, as soon as you hear possibilites in first sentence, it can only be N.
    The same as "the most extraverted type", -NOT ENFp

    anyway, I was asking for description of Alpha Extravert, that someone mentioned.

  17. #17
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    hah yeah i have that book, that's why 1st sounded so familiar. but seriously, as soon as you hear possibilites in first sentence, it can only be N.
    The same as "the most extraverted type", -NOT ENFp

    anyway, I was asking for description of Alpha Extravert, that someone mentioned.
    Well if you have that book, what is known as alpha extraverts in socionics jargon, they are
    ENTP and ESFJ in that book.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Well if you have that book, what is known as alpha extraverts in socionics jargon, they are
    ENTP and ESFJ in that book.

    so ENTp=ENTP and ESFj=ESFJ according to you?

    I cant imagine ENTP and ESFJ (MBTI) in the same room, getting along.

  19. #19
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    so ENTp=ENTP and ESFj=ESFJ according to you?

    I cant imagine ENTP and ESFJ (MBTI) in the same room, getting along.
    Yep. As you can read for yourself, the descriptions are describing the same kind of people. I don't know where the myth comes from that the descriptions would describe totally different people...

    For your second question:
    There is a difference between what you expect and how reality works :-)

    They get along perfectly. They have an activation relationship. Quick to establish, and very friendly, good understanding, energizing and mutual attraction. This happens to all people who meet their 'activation' type.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    They get along perfectly. They have an activation relationship. Quick to establish, and very friendly, good understanding, energizing and mutual attraction. This happens to all people who meet their 'activation' type.
    heh, it's really the same thing, there's noooo way I am ESFj in Socionics.

    I am saying I cant imagine because i was reading many people on INTPcentral who cant stand ISFJs and ESFPs... and ENTPs who cant standa ESFJs ... and had very bad experience with them.

  21. #21
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think it's safe to assume that everyone is going to be able to read a description and be able to see which one fits them best. I waffled between 3 or 4 types for years using this method, and there are plenty of people out there who are equally baffled by attempting to relate to a laundry list of generalized traits. Also I think people are very much prone to mistype themselves due to misconceptions of the functions based on having specific terms or memes attached to them.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  22. #22
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What it comes down to is this: MBTI types by dichotomies that are incongruent to the Socionics parameters of types. There is surely some level of correlation between the two, but saying that they are the same is entirely fallacious from both a theoretical and practical standpoint. I am a very clear Perceiving type in MBTI, but in Socionics I am EIE, a rational/J type.

    I would like to point out, by the way, the apparent correlation between believing in the equivalence of different type systems because of their "apparent" similarities while ignoring disparities in theoretical frameworks, and Te valuing (Ashton with Jung, phaedrus and Jarno with MBTI; they all seem to simply say "Look, it's obvious!" when really it's not at all, and they are wrong ).
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  23. #23
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Basically my point is, while the two descriptions are obviously "different people," and they tend to describe similar people to their respective Socionics types, the combination of theoretical differences, people's subjective attachment to different terms/memes that are associated with different functions, dichotomies, etc, and simply the sheer number of people who type differently in different systems, make for a rather obvious case for the systems not being "the same," regardless of the overall trends in consistency or basic similarities.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  24. #24
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For the record I am xNTP in MBTI.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  25. #25
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    heh, it's really the same thing, there's noooo way I am ESFj in Socionics.

    I am saying I cant imagine because i was reading many people on INTPcentral who cant stand ISFJs and ESFPs... and ENTPs who cant standa ESFJs ... and had very bad experience with them.
    That's odd. Well, experience it for yourself.

    I once opened a topic to rate all relationships, and duality was always 1 and activation in the top 4.

  26. #26
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    That's odd. Well, experience it for yourself.

    I once opened a topic to rate all relationships, and duality was always 1 and activation in the top 4.
    It's not odd, they are two entirely different systems. One letter off, which is not only common but, in the case of some types, typically EXPECTED, especially based on functional analysis, and you go from dual to conflictor. Does that not make sense to you?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  27. #27
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gilly, instead of saying that there must be something wrong with mbti or etc, maybe there's something wrong with your interpretation. You've got 18000 posts and still open topics about your type. You are one of the few argueing the difficulty of distinguishing ENFP and ESFJ, and also claim to have deviate on at least 3 dichotomies in both systems. I rather assume it's you and not everything else that is wrong. But since I suspect we won't be able to resolve these issues I will rest my case here. I cannot give more factual evidence then what I did in this thread. Though I think I clarified a lot for the rest of the people who've read this thread. So that's enough for me.

  28. #28
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't actually question my type; I just have mood swings and am insecure.

    I'm not saying that they are hard to distinguish. Read my fucking posts, please, and learn the basics of the theory. They use different methods of typing, gauge different things, define their terms differently. The only commonalities are superficial traits and the letters, which aren't even used in proper socionics. I'm not saying that "there's something wrong with MBTI." I'm saying the theories are different, and so are the people. Face the facts, you are wrong.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  29. #29
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Face the facts, you are wrong.
    sure no problem.

  30. #30
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find it funny that the only refutation against socionics and MBTI types being the same is "I'm different types in the different systems."

    The problem with that is that there are many ways in which you could be mistaken. There's no possible way to know for a fact that you are different types in the different systems, so that point is meaningless.

    What we do know for a fact are the definitions of dichotomies and descriptions of the collective of those dichotomies. And, when you accept that MBTI's functions are flawed, everything falls into place. The only way I could be convinced that they aren't the same at a core level is if you wanted to argue that MBTI's functions are not flawed. In which case, I have nothing to say and you may in fact be correct that the systems are different. However, I don't know anyone who has strong understanding of both systems that would argue for MBTI's functions as existing in conjunction with socionics functions.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 08-13-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  31. #31
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    They use different methods of typing
    irrelevant

    gauge different things
    evidence?

    define their terms differently
    more evidence?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  32. #32
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)

    This type is first and foremost energized by new ideas and possibilities. Outgoing friendly and talkative, they love being around people and often have a large and varied assortment of friends and acquaintances. These types are usually quick and clever and commonly use language to capture people's attention and entertain them as well as to express their creative offbeat personalities. They like to tell stories jokes and use puns and plays on words. Naturally irreverent, they usually speak rapidly their language is peppered with humor and metaphors, and they may even swear more often than some other types. Insatiably curious, these types are quick to strike up conversations with strangers, ask lots of questions and tend to finish other peoples sentences. Their conversation can be very scattered as they move from one thought to the next without finishing the first as new inspriations strike them. With regard to appearance, these types often have an original artsy look and dress more for themselves than for others or to make a statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    2)

    These types are perhaps the most friendly and outgoing of all the sixteen types. They are supremely helpful to others in a myriad of real and concrete ways. Usually polite and somewhat proper, these types are also physically demonstrative, pumping your hand when shaking it, touching an arm or shoulder when making a point, or even giving bear hugs when appropiate. They wear their emotions on their sleeves and their faces usually provide an accurate reflection of their feelings. Their language reflects their strongly held beliefs and values; they may use the word 'should' a lot and freely offer opinions and reactions to everything around them. These types are often the first to volunteer when something needs to be done and tend to take on projects with gusto and purpose. This can sometimes mean they may act somewhat controlling, determined to be sure every detail is done the way they think is best. They often see things in terms of black and white and speak and act with great conviction.
    1) Obvious ENFP
    2) Obvious ESFJ
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  33. #33
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TBH, I think correlating descriptions is evidence enough that the systems are basically the same. There's more room for interpretation when it come to dichotomies.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  34. #34
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    evidence?



    more evidence?
    Just staying within the realm of logical deduction, if they were perfectly equivalent there'd be no point in their even be separate. They'd be two facets of the same systems. They are not, so logically they must be at least somewhat different.

    But let's move beyond that -- the proof is in the proverbial pudding. Let's take a look at the Ti description, for a quick example:

    as a base (1st) function (LII and LSI)

    The individual views reality through the lens of logic, immediately recognizing the correctness and appropriateness of things and their proper place in reality and in his system of views and behavior. He freely makes logical assertions, often exaggerated, about new information and experience. He holds highest those rules to which exceptions do not exist, and is a habitual critic of people or things that don't follow a set of rules, whether they are those accepted by the community, or his own, or even the other person's. Although he is able to adopt others' rules, his own are always the last word, and these are subject to continual refinement.
    Often seen as "demanding", due to high standards.
    as a creative (2nd) function (ILE and SLE)

    The individual easily generates logical systems and formulations to explain a set of phenomena that he has experienced or studied. However, these logical systems or explanations are not viewed as permanent or all-encompassing, but can be improved upon or even discarded as new experience and information is added.
    as a role (3rd) function (ESI and EII)

    The individual is able to talk about things from a dispassionate academic or theoretical point of view for brief periods of time, but seems overly bookish when doing so and tends to grows tense. When feeling obliged to justify logically a personal decision taken for reasons determined by , the individual attempts to do so but grows quickly annoyed especially if the inconsistency in the logical argument is pointed out. He then either explains the ethical motivation or avoids the issue altogether.
    as a vulnerable (4th) function (SEE and IEE)

    The individual has a tendency to either completely reject or completely embrace a source of theoretical knowledge, but does not like to reveal the source or his adherence to it.
    He prefers to limit the number of theoretical categories he works with and tends to see new terminology, systems, and rules as being arbitrary and unnecessary until he at last discovers their necessity for himself through extensive personal experience.
    He may be able to express his views clearly when given the time, but he is not prepared to deal with people who challenge his views and draw him into logical arguments and disputes. For this reason, he is reluctant to publicize new determinations and opinions until he is absolutely sure that they are right and that he can support them thoroughly to anyone who challenges them.
    as a suggestive (5th) function (ESE and EIE)

    The individual has great admiration for people with well-developed systems of views. He especially likes clear and concise explanations of concepts, rather than a lot of background information about them that is not directly pertinent. He wants his actions to make sense, and thus needs external assurance that the conceptual understanding behind them is correct. If he cannot find a source of certainty, he may become flustered and unable to act rationally at all.
    as a mobilizing (6th) function (SEI and IEI)

    The individual seeks clarity in his system of beliefs and understanding and enjoys entertaining new concepts and being included in philosophical discussions where new concepts and systems of thought are introduced. He is uncertain of the logical clarity backing his actions, and thus seeks external assistance in attaining a degree of reasonable competence in this realm. Structure is sought as more of a means to an end, a background guide to facilitate the growth of the individual's main goal.
    as an ignoring (7th) function (LIE and LSE)

    The individual understands easily, but is largely indifferent to, discussions that focus on the internal logic of ideas and systems. The individual perceives such logical systems as largely worthless to his goals and finds them completely uninteresting and unproductive.
    as a demonstrative (8th) function (ILI and SLI)

    The individual often criticizes others' views from a logical standpoint, picking apart statements and postulates and showing that they are logically flawed. However, he does not choose to do this excessively and does not expect that reality can be accurately expressed in a neat logical systematic anyway.
    Then let's look at the MBTI description of the function.

    Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.
    Notice how much shorter it is? And how it doesn't differentiate between positions in a person's type? That would be because MBTI lacks Freudian conscience blocks (Ego, Super-Id, Id, et al), and merely describes functions by descending order of preference (pure Jung as opposed to Jung + Freud). Therefore, MBTI is an entirely distinct system.

    You lose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    TBH, I think correlating descriptions is evidence enough that the systems are basically the same.
    Not really, because 1) general MBTI descriptions are fundamentally off the mark and extremely shallow, and 2) the systems have different functions, and 3) they actually don't all have different descriptions. SLE and SEE are so different from their MBTI counterparts (ESTP and ESFP) it's not even funny. LII also doesn't really fit most INTJs very well -- it's more of an INTP-ish type. Neither does ESFJ fit ESE too well, because of how wildly different Si is between the systems. ESI has a similar problem, because Se (Socionics) is more equivalent to Se + Te (MBTI). It fits Si + Te (narrowly), but not Si + Fe.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  35. #35
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator
    XXXXs live in the moment, experiencing life to the fullest. They enjoy people, as well as material comforts. Rarely allowing conventions to interfere with their lives, they find creative ways to meet human needs. XXXXs are excellent team players, focused on completing the task at hand with maximum fun and minimum discord. Active types, they find pleasure in new experiences.

    XXXXs take a hands-on approach in most things. Because they learn more by doing than by studying or reading, they tend to rush into things, learning by interacting with their environment. They usually dislike theory and written explanations. Traditional schools can be difficult for XXXXs, although they tend to do well when the subject of study interests them, or when they see the relevance of a subject and are allowed to interact with people.

    Observant, practical, realistic, and specific, XXXXs make decisions according to their own personal standards. They use their Feeling judgment internally to identify and empathize with others. Naturally attentive to the world around them, XXXXs are keen observers of human behavior. They quickly sense what is happening with other people and immediately respond to their individual needs. They are especially good at mobilizing people to deal with crises. Generous, optimistic, and persuasive, they are good at interpersonal interactions. They often play the role of peacemaker due to their warm, sympathetic, and tactful nature.

    XXXXs love being around people and having new experiences. Living in the here-and-now, they often do not think about long term effects or the consequences of their actions. While very practical, they generally despise routines, instead desiring to 'go with the flow.' They are, in fact, very play minded. Because XXXXs learn better through hands-on experience, classroom learning may be troublesome for many of them, especially those with a very underdeveloped intuitive side.
    MBTI description. What socionics type is it?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  36. #36
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That is clearly ESFP. in Socionics it's probably closest to ESE. Nowhere near a perfect fit, but still better than SEE.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Since you guys seem to think there is no difference or the types can be confused, here's a little test for you guys.

    I have two descriptions, ENFP and ESFJ. Guess which one is which. Remember these are descriptions from an MBTI book, but from my point of view they can be easely typed with the use of socionics IM. Showing that MBTI and socionics don't differ that much!

    Let's hear it...
    citting small parts of two descriptions and saying that they comefrom two specifc types and asking people to guess them does not prove that socionics and mbti do not differ much. it only proves youre an idiot for thinking so.

  38. #38
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikesex View Post
    citting small parts of two descriptions and saying that they comefrom two specifc types and asking people to guess them does not prove that socionics and mbti do not differ much. it only proves youre an idiot for thinking so.
    This is the absolute truth. The fact that an MBTI expert (like myself) can still identify obvious differences makes him look even worse.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  39. #39
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Just staying within the realm of logical deduction, if they were perfectly equivalent there'd be no point in their even be separate. They'd be two facets of the same systems. They are not, so logically they must be at least somewhat different.
    Two people's interpretations will be different. You can't expect 100% exactness.

    But let's move beyond that -- the proof is in the proverbial pudding. Let's take a look at the Ti description, for a quick example:

    Then let's look at the MBTI description of the function.

    Notice how much shorter it is? And how it doesn't differentiate between positions in a person's type? That would be because MBTI lacks Freudian conscience blocks (Ego, Super-Id, Id, et al), and merely describes functions by descending order of preference (pure Jung as opposed to Jung + Freud). Therefore, MBTI is an entirely distinct system.
    Length of the description means nothing. The fact that it wasn't described in terms of each type also means nothing.

    All of this is pointless to argue with me anyway, because I agree that MBTI functions are not the same as socionics functions. My position is that MBTI functions are incorrect and don't represent reality.

    Not really, because 1) general MBTI descriptions are fundamentally off the mark and extremely shallow, and 2) the systems have different functions, and 3) they actually don't all have different descriptions. SLE and SEE are so different from their MBTI counterparts (ESTP and ESFP) it's not even funny. LII also doesn't really fit most INTJs very well -- it's more of an INTP-ish type. Neither does ESFJ fit ESE too well, because of how wildly different Si is between the systems. ESI has a similar problem, because Se (Socionics) is more equivalent to Se + Te (MBTI). It fits Si + Te (narrowly), but not Si + Fe.
    I disagree with everything here, except that MBTI is more shallow and hasn't hit the root as closely as socionics. Still, they are close enough. Also, I stated that INTP and INTJ are easily confused, but all the other types correlate pretty nicely.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  40. #40
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,216
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikesex View Post
    citting small parts of two descriptions and saying that they comefrom two specifc types and asking people to guess them does not prove that socionics and mbti do not differ much. it only proves youre an idiot for thinking so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    This is the absolute truth. The fact that an MBTI expert (like myself) can still identify obvious differences makes him look even worse.
    Personal attacks and self-proclaimed expertise works a lot better apparently.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •