0 Thread(s)

Default Rick's Socionics Videos

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could have said "hot air" in many fewer words.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    He could have said "hot air" in many fewer words.
    +1

He made some good points, but it took him over 20 minutes to say what could have been said in about 2.

I don't think I'd have the patience to listen to any more of his videos.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses. I agree that the video is too long. My goal was to talk a bit about socionics and how I got into it, and what I think about it in general. I don't think I have it in me any more to talk about the specifics of socionics theory, hence the "memoir" feel of the video. If I make more in the future, I'll put in a warning about the contents. I'd never made a video before, so in the future I'll have to think more carefully about what I'm going to say and keep it shorter.

Gilly, you're right, in a way. But give me a break -- to hear this critique coming from someone who has, what, 50 threads devoted to himself?? I have an unfulfilled need to talk about my life experience, which has been highly unusual, and I'm too modest to just start threads about myself. So I work it into videos and articles as I can.

To be perfectly honest, at this point I'm more interested in reflecting about what I've seen and experienced in socionics, and in talking about personality, relationships, and personal development than in talking about socionics itself. It's a bit of a shame, because I think I had some good things to say when I had my mind wrapped around it 3-6 years ago, but it seems that point is past for good. Now I'm interested in wrapping things up and summarizing the past. It's understandable that people who are actively studying socionics might find that boring...

The other day I spent a few hours with Dmitry Lytov. We barely mentioned socionics. These days his passions are things like archeology, paleolinguistics, and paleoclimatology. You'd never guess that once upon a time he was the most active socionist of his generation. Likewise, in a couple years if nothing big changes I plan to go back to school to study physical geography. Socionics was a gateway to adulthood; now it's become irrelevant and I have to think about what to do for the rest of my adult life.

>> "Rick is married and to his dual, according to his public testimony."

Yes, correct. But BulletsAndDoves is mostly right. If I hadn't gotten my act together and made an effort, I could have easily ended up wandering around without serious relationships into my late 30s or more.
    Last edited by Rick; 08-13-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I agree that the video is too long. My goal was to talk a bit about socionics and how I got into it, and what I think about it in general. I don't think I have it in me any more to talk about the specifics of socionics theory, hence the "memoir" feel of the video. If I make more in the future, I'll put in a warning about the contents. I'd never made a video before, so in the future I'll have to think more carefully about what I'm going to say and keep it shorter.
    That's understandable.
    Last edited by Park; 08-16-2010 at 02:08 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    I don't think I'd have the patience to listen to any more of his videos.
    Must be love. That means you didn't have the patience to begin with.

I knew someone like him before. Yeah, I did. I remember.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got around to watching these videos. Some observations:

I found the repeated use of the phrase "mental masturbation" an amusing window into how Fi-Egos view what they see as the excessive use of Ti -- logical systematization beyond the point of practical Te usefulness.

Again on that note, it's interesting that your primary measure for the value of socionics, at least as expressed in this video, is "usefulness" (which, as I said, seems related to Te). Most of your criticisms of the current state of socionics seem to be centred around there being too much Ti, too much theorizing and increasingly detailed systematization, and not enough Te, not enough factual underpinning or practical use. Additionally, you express the usual Delta NF doubts that everything in life can be fit into neat Ti categories.

As an Alpha NT, "usefulness" is quite far down on my list of what makes things valuable -- accuracy and truth are the big ones for me. I want to understand things completely, making use of that knowledge seems secondary. I suspect this is the attitude of those socionists whom you disparage as engaging in "mental masturbation".

Anyway, I thought they were enjoyable videos, and if I had any doubts about you being IEE (which I didn't, really), they're certainly gone now.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Just got around to watching these videos. Some observations:

I found the repeated use of the phrase "mental masturbation" an amusing window into how Fi-Egos view what they see as the excessive use of Ti -- logical systematization beyond the point of practical Te usefulness.
    A couple of years ago this phrase was very commonly thrown by almost anyone at anyone who didn't agree with the first person's pov of socionics. It was actually pretty disgusting how often it was thrown at people. Some people picked up on the phrase, who wouldn't have normally thought that way. Ni used it about Ne, Ne about Ni, Te/Fi about Ti, and Ti/Fe about Te/Fi. A couple of people even left in part because they were disgusted by it's common usage.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm somewhat like Rick. Same sort of dopey romantic-ish eyes, and same laid-back and languid movements. I'm just more emotional and faggy.

He's an old soul. He lacks masculine throat fuck vigor that women that age want. Like most intelligent, languid men he's probably not going to find a happy relationship until later in his life.