Thread: Temperaments in Competition

Creepy-male

Default Temperaments in Competition

I'm thinking in terms of sports, strategy games, video games, and so forth... any kind of competition.

EJ temperament

Style: Mobilizing -- Moves quickly to make direct contact in order to push forward with their goals
    Pace: Isometric -- Steady, Forceful, Firm Pressure
    Key Strength: Endurance -- Consistent Energy and Focus
    Key Weakness: Tunnel Vision -- Overfocuses on pushing towards their destination, may leave them vulnerable to fast unanticipated strikes, quick to re-mobilize when faced with an unanticipated situation, but unable to deal with rapid surprises due to being in a weak state of adaptability as a result of overfocusing on their willed initiatives.

EP temperament

Style: Improvisational -- Works on the run, quick adaptability, energy quickly shifts to meet the demands of a situation
    Pace: Spontaneous -- Cyclical, Sporadic, Spontaneous, Vibrational, Waxes and Wanes, Builds and Falls
    Key Strength: Adaptability -- Easily shifts focus and energy to meet demands with little or no preparation.
    Key Weakness: Inattentiveness -- Looses focus easily when environment is calm, may leave them vulnerable to resting during calm times when they should be preparing and mobilizing, may find themselves unable to recover from rapid direct forceful strikes after a long period of inactivity. Weaker strikes can be easily recovered from and adapted to, but strong ones leave them crippled beyond a point at which they can salvage.

IP temperament

Style: Meditative -- Clear and focused, calm and natural, dynamic perception leading to graceful unforced action.
    Pace: Flowing -- Moves steady and unhurried, without becoming stagnant
    Key Strength: Entranced -- When focused or "entranced" they are aware of their environment and can easily focus on the dynamic flow of things and easily ride the waves and go with the flow.
    Key Weakness: Inertia -- When out of focus can easily becoming inactive and disengaged, making them vulnerable to rapidly mobilized constant pressure... leaving them no time to establish a flow or trance with their environment.

IJ temperament

Style: Methodical -- Organized and methodical progresses towards objectives, focused on establishing a method mostly until the very last moment when the method is executed and the objective is accomplished
    Pace: Sequential -- Predictable orderly logical pace, mechanical and rigid
    Key Strength: Logistical -- Once a method is established things can be moved to execute at a rapid pace that persists like a factory in production that is entirely self-sufficient and well contained.
    Key Weakness: Inflexibility -- Lack of adaptability due to overfocus on logistics, method, and sequence. Vulnerable to quick rapid changes which their method can't address without developing a new method. Slow changes can be adjusted to.
    Last edited by male; 08-14-2010 at 10:42 PM.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems perfect.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice!

now....what are some strategies the temperaments can use to counteract the effects of their weakness?

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say "determination" for EJ's strength.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EJ fits me well, but I know a lot of IJs with creative that are much more flexible than it might be expected, given their temperament. It might just be that they tend to use almost exclusively their perceiving function, during sports practice / competition.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like this. I like it a lot.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Big Picture Scope: When healthy, INFps can sense the 'wide scope' of an environment very easily: the most general vibration of the atmosphere they're in, and so they can know just what to say to whoever approaches them. Losing their lust for honesty, they become like an enlightened king that knows how to charm the pants out of anybody to get what they want. The back of the minds they always know the truth, and it's more of a gentle strength that is theirs to keep alone.

Yes, scanning the horizons from a distant, almost birdseye view is the INFps greatest strength. They then can play with so many objects very well that way, can manipulate/morph everything with so much leverage. And as long as they remain at this distance they are safe, because they are pure casters. So they can cleverly evade harmful situations as they see them clearly, from so far away.

When unhealthy, INFps simply can't get outside of themselves. Or we're too outside, too focused on 'objectivity' in the negative sense. We don't feel that in and out and in and out natural rhymetic breathing. We just either see PURE IN scary and PURE OUT scary- no meaning or focus to go when OUT and everything just feels dramatic, 'emo' and pointless when IN. And we just bring about what we fear.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The strategy for an IP is to Just let go....and look at everything at once. Remind yourself of the big picture. See at how that guy in the corner is more insecure than you, that you're probably the most confident, well-prepared person in this room, you might just not realize it. Pay attention to what other people doing, but gently. Don't assume they're going to hurt you, or that they're even capable of it.

And take all these things in at once, but gently. Easily. It should feel good. You're kinda seeing how everything is working and clicking all at once. You're making it happen in big grand epic sweeps, because that's just how you work.

But, if the general vibration of an area is SCARING you, listen to your instincts. Run away. Don't give in. Trust your judgements. Don't neurotically think there's something wrong with you because you're afraid, you're afraid for a good reason: A jealous estj bully is in fact probably trying to stop you, or other incompatible types. Just because you feel uncomfortable in the moment doesn't mean there's something wrong with Life, it just means there's something wrong NOW. You only beat them by learning to trust some other people though, and staying engaged.

=p

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    EJ fits me well, but I know a lot of IJs with creative that are much more flexible than it might be expected, given their temperament. It might just be that they tend to use almost exclusively their perceiving function, during sports practice / competition.
    Yea, I still think their dominant function plays into the style of what they do... say an ISTj in the military is likely to train very hard to master certain drills and techniques, and then utilize these in the field being smart and tactical about it and paying attention to Se information to know what tactic to use where. The key weakness of an ISTj is when they have to improvise tactics in unfamiliar situations, like in guerilla warfare. It doesn't mean an ISTj couldn't master this but they'd have to take time to sort out the circumstances, situation, and factors using Se until they could formulate a good Ti tactic to deal with the situation, where as an Se dominant (EP temp) would have less of a downtime developing these tactics.

I don't think this is too observable in sports though because the game is usually very familiar to the IJ temperament. So they don't have to improvise tactics too much in unfamiliar situations, the rules and circumstances of the game are familiar to them after having some experience in the game through practice, play, or watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I'd say "determination" for EJ's strength.
    Yea I'll take this suggestion you and pied piper made, stamina is a bit more of a physical thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I like this. I like it a lot.
    I was thinking of an ISTp mainly in sports, they tend to be able to "zone in" well and focus on what's going on around them, but also have a tendency to be lazy and loose focus. The INFp is different, most INFps I know aren't to interesting in physical competition, but they still have this quality to focus really well and be entranced... I'd say when INFps displays artistic skill its almost similar to an ISTp showing physical prowess in an activity, they can really just get in an entranced state and creatively can free flow being aware of their and others emotional states.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    nice!

now....what are some strategies the temperaments can use to counteract the effects of their weakness?
    Play the game that you are made for and not the one you are not made for. Know your weakness and utilize your strength actively to accomplish your goals proactively instead of waiting to become a victim of your weakness. Find other people, learn their strengths and weaknesses, protect them from their weakness using your strengths and utilize their strengths to help you when you realize you are weaker than them in this area. Generally doing this should make you an effective person, both as an individual, and with other people.

An example would be an ENTp and INTj establishing a good creative working relation... the ENTp can cover the improvisational aspects of their work and help the INTj adjust his systematic approach, while the INTj can help the ENTp with being systematic. None of this has to do with duality because that is more of an issue of psychological compatibility rather than being effective. ISFp's make ENTp's feel good psychologically, they don't necessarily help them make up for their PoLR. I'd think an ENTp and ISFj could work together effectively... as long as it remains highly formal and their isn't too much personal prolonged psychological contact necessary, likely a beta NF would need to be present to mitigate or something.
    Last edited by male; 08-14-2010 at 10:57 PM.