Thread: CPig's Firearm Safety & Use Basics

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Default CPig's Firearm Safety & Use Basics

1. Every weapon is loaded until you have cleared it yourself. By "clearing" I mean, of course, removing the magazine or clip (in the case of automatic or belt-fed weapons), and racking the bolt or slide to inspect the chamber for loaded rounds. If you are at a range, there is typically a barrel available where you can dry fire your weapon into to reset the action and be sure the weapon is "safe."
    2. If possible, wear eye and ear protection. The more dangerous malfunctions can be explosive in nature. You also wouldn't want hot brass to fly into your face if someone carelessly decided to discharge their weapon next to you.
    3. Never rest your finger on the trigger unless you are prepared to shoot, instead leave it extended just above the trigger guard. This is known as trigger discipline.
    4. Always point your weapon at the "low & ready" (toward the ground), never up. It's much faster to bring your weapon up than it is down, and putting it up can obstruct your view of the target just long enough for them to get a fix on you first. Furthermore, if there is an accidental discharge, it's safer to have the bullet go into the ground than fly into the air and come down God knows where.
    5. When shooting pistols, use the stance that is most comfortable to you. But if you are a tactical shooter, a modified Weaver stance would be your best bet. This is what Law Enforcement Officers and military operators use most often. Both hands support the weapon (better for steadying the weapon and absorbing recoil), and you are turned sideways to the target to present a smaller profile.
    6. If you intend to carry the weapon on you, whether concealed or not, make sure you shop around and try out a few different style holsters before deciding on the perfect one. The perfect holster should be the holster you are most comfortable with wearing for extended periods, and can quickly and safely retrieve your weapon in an instant. "Locking" holsters, like two- and three-point systems, are very effective if you are concerned about someone trying to wrestle your weapon out of the holster, but they are not foolproof and can be a little tricky to learn how to quickdraw from.
    7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Learn the value of the double tap.
    8. Headshots are difficult. Moving headshots are even more difficult. Aim for the center mass (chest/upper body), but practice those headshots anyway, because they could be armored.
    9. Keep a mental tally of your shots so you know when you have to reload. In a combat situation, it would really suck if you exposed yourself to take a shot only to find out you're empty. Pistols are easier, obviously, since the slide will lock in the open position, but certain rifles can be less intuitive. If you are capable of obtaining tracer rounds, you can rig your combat loads so that toward the end of a magazine's life there's a tracer every second or third round to let you know how many shots you got left. Be careful with this method, as Murphy's law tells us tracers work both ways (i.e., by exposing your position). You're better off keeping a mental score if you got the concentration for it.
    10. Learn how to disassemble your weapon and clean it thoroughly. A well-maintained weapon is a happy, functioning weapon. Preventative maintenance reduces your risk of misfires and jams.
    11. If you are really into tactical shooting, practice shooting ambidextrous! This is especially helpful when shooting from cover. If you are right-handed, you present a smaller profile peeking around a left-hand corner. So to maintain the same sentiment of presenting a low target profile, practice shooting left-handed for those pesky right-hand corners.
    12. Familiarize yourself with as many firearms as you can. Although it is generally not a good idea to use your enemy's weapons or ammo (you don't know their condition, they could be boobytrapped, etc), should the need ever arise you will already know how to work the action on it and rock-and-roll. If you can get range time on 'em, the better.

Ok, that's all I can think of right now. Remember: as you train, so shall you fight.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 12-03-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eh ?

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Eh ?
    Idk, I'm bored lol

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Idk, I'm bored lol
    Thought you were planning an armed insurrection along with Ashton.

EDIT: You own a firearm ?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 1 blog so far? You were designed to educate the best.

The fun thing about it is, you don't actually have to give away the best secrets. You can design your tutorials around niavely incomplete excellence, then when your students challenge you using your tactics, they will know thy creator.

As family guy would say... "right? right!?" "yess..."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good tips

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    The fun thing about it is, you don't actually have to give away the best secrets. You can design your tutorials around niavely incomplete excellence, then when your students challenge you using your tactics, they will know thy creator.
    You could give them all the fundamentals as useless discrete lessons, then withhold the "keystone" piece of information that allows them to have all their lessons work together in a flawless technique, then encode this "keystone" in a cryptic parable so only the most wise and noble from among your proteges can unlock its secrets and inherit the ultimate power once they have proven their worth.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

1) don't own a gun
    2) don't use a gun
    3) wear full body armour

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Only 1 blog so far? You were designed to educate the best.

As family guy would say... "right? right!?" "yess..."
    wat

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    good tips
    thx

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Bumpin' dis.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After this thread my kill ratio has gone up significantly on battlefield 2.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    After this thread my kill ratio has gone up significantly on battlefield 2.
    haha, awesome

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use this for gun-to-gun tactics:

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit that's the drew carey guy and he was in hot shots 2?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Holy shit that's the drew carey guy and he was in hot shots 2?
    You mean Ryan Stiles? He's been in a lot of things.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i think it's time this thread got another bump.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

if you own a gun, the stats show you are more likely to be shot. I stand by my previous advice.