Thread: How do i know if im an SX instinct variant?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do i know if im an SX instinct variant?

Say im a 5 (w6 or w4) whatever. What's the best way to know what my variant is? Some opinions would lead me to believe sx, others would lead me to believe anti-sx, towards sp/so.

Some people's enneagram typings of me, from memory

Gilly's - 5w4sx/so
    Ashton's - 5w6sp/so
    niffweed's - 5w4?/?

Can't say any of those are well thought out, just a start. I don't even know if I'm really a 5.

what does the E-test say?

Creepy-male

what do you know about the sexual variant?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From: http://www.enneagramdimensions.net/a...life_paths.pdf

Enneagram 5 Life Paths for Different Instincts

Enneagram 5 Self Preservational
    Private Genius, Solitary Philosopher, Puzzle Solver, Mental Tinkerer, Theoretical Inventor, Blueprint Creator, Amateur Scholar, Serious Hobbyist, Stuff Collector, Space Protector, Reflective Thinker, Detail Analyzer, Professional Student, Treasure Finder, Hermit, Nerd, Recluse

Enneagram 5 Sexual
    Spy, Sleuth, Alchemist, Scientist, Mad Scientist, Investigator, Private Detective, Undercover Operative, Internet Wizard, Chat Room Enthusiast, Chess Player, Private Tutor, Secret Photographer, Exchanger of Confidences, Weirdo Voyeur, Secret Society Member, Wizard of Oz

Enneagram 5 Social
    Group Observer, Recognized Expert, Honored Teacher, Tenured Professor, Knowledge Repository, Dispassionate Facilitator, Impersonal Guide, Bodhisattva, Occasional Iconoclast, Etymologist, Myth Collector, Anthropologist, Arcane Expert, Wise Man or Woman, Tribal Healer, Shaman, Witch Doctor
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Enneagram 5 Sexual
    Spy, Sleuth, Alchemist, Scientist, Mad Scientist, Investigator, Private Detective, Undercover Operative, Internet Wizard, Chat Room Enthusiast, Chess Player, Private Tutor, Secret Photographer, [b]Exchanger of Confidences[b], Weirdo Voyeur, Secret Society Member, Wizard of Oz
    Reminds me of "To Catch a Predator"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stacking is where your priorities lay. It's on a different plane from your main type. Descriptions of the stackings can be misleading because the instinct operates somewhere "below" your personality, if that makes any sense.
    The saddest ESFj

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah thanks for the impression here. sp/sx hm, that could make sense. From what I know about it now, in that book, sp seems likely. Of course tell me if you have other impressions, or if you agree.

5w4sp/s? That's closer.

I tested as 5w4 once (sp or sx i forgot). But from what I recall online, and in this book, 5w4 tends to seem more likely. Iconoclastic commentator/crusty eccentric/quirky lover, any impressions, 4 or 6?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that book, the types with stackings leans me more at 5, but the actual type names they give make me seem more 6, and the stacking professions for 6 don't seem like me at all, so probably 5. I might be 5w6 though. So I might have to read a shload of descriptions. I'll read those that abbie gave in a bit--I think I read them once before.

Creepy-male

I'm definitely no doubt an sx/sp....

Quote Originally Posted by links abbie gave
    Sexuals attract others without really trying. They also repel others in the same way, like an anti-pheromone. This works like a screening function in the mating process. People typically have a strong reaction one way or another towards Sx's, and vice versa.
    That fits me like a glove, usually when I'm around people its like I either feel like they are attracted or repulsed by me... usually its very hard to just interact with someone in the neutral zone, unless its something quick, formal, or mundane. I get the same thing internally, when I am around a person I either feel slightly disgusted/repulsed by them or I feel drawn to them in some way... even if it's just not in a literally sexual way, like feeling drawn towards them out of curiosity. Sometimes its hard to turn this off... if I see a really attractive female and I don't feel secure enough to go over and talk to her or whatever, I'll have to avoid the situation because its hard to hide that I'm attracted to them, its like I feel a huge surge of energy through me and I'm like.... ahhhh fuck reaching critical mass, energy getting unstable.... ahhhhhhh, then I have to escape. I think this is part of the sp instinct too, because I secondarily desire stability and security and can't just ride the social current and navigate with the sexual instinct. Mix this with less focus on social elements and it gets annoying. Other times I feel it in reverse, like there are some people I don't even know that well, but I just feel disgusted towards them or reproachful, not at the deep love human compassion level, but just on the surface... and its hard for me to hide also.... I'll be thinking in my head "Ok be nice and sociable"... but then I'm kind of also feeling this repulsion from them lol. Sometimes I'll say something and at the end of how I say it you can hear it in my voice, and then I get self-conscious and I'm like "fuck, did I have to make it obvious".... because I don't want conflict or anything but its just a gut reaction I feel like I can't fully control to my will without becoming an emotion-less automaton. Usually because I have cues like this I can't control it causes the other people to give a reaction back. Usually this would be good but the lack of social instinct and my 5-ness makes it hard to take a first reaction further into something more worthwhile, its possible but I haven't figured out how to make this all work well for me yet =p.

Also less about myself... I feel sp/sx actually works well for you. Particularly this is what I see....
    • Sp first in the way you seem to have a vibe which is kind of guarded and in needed of security, peace, etc... You seem not to like others to disturb your calmness.
    • Sx in the top two in the way you have creative interest and express yourself and interact with people
    • So last in what I've heard about your introversion or withdrawn nature, also you talk very rarely coming from a source of trends or an awareness of social currents and zeitgeist
    Last edited by male; 08-11-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could actually be a 6, honestly, but what I think is 6 stuff might be 5 stuff, like a need for an overall sense of security and certainty in one's ideas or passions, especially when someone like a friend has your back about it and you don't have to be on your own with your ideas, you don't always have to think independently. A large reason why I dismiss my own ideas is that eventually nobody agrees with them. I don't just form ideas, test them out, and hold to them. I care a lot if the people who I trust or begin to trust agree with them, or have a problem with them. These characteristics could be anyone's though. But I feel like dominant 5s of this forum don't have this problem/need.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds 5w6 or more 6-ish, or irrelevant?