Thread: The Process of Learning Socionics

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Process of Learning Socionics

I don't know if this belongs in general or what but I want to talk about the process of learning socionics. For me, of course it started with reading wikisocion and then lurking here for a long time, and then finally starting to post and paying attention to what things I said received a positive response from members of this forum and what didn't. Then of course I sort of narrowed down the group of posters here who I trusted vis a vis socionics and began to value their responses more. A big turning point for me was when I posted a thread about my understanding of the IEs for general forum consideration. I got some really good replies to that, but more importantly, I felt comfortable enough in my basic understanding of the IEs that I could begin to do more theoretical explorations and find the topics in socionics that really interest me.

Another big thing that's still ongoing was getting over some of my basic quadra preferences in order to become a bit more objective in my thoughts on socionics. I had this idea that only deltas engage in things like believing in cliches and platitudes and other things that really squick me. And of course, MY quasar, beta, avoided this at all costs. Well, that's not true. Maybe some fundamental idea that was the seed of where I got that idea is true, but the actual idea, itself? Totally false. And I think there's some degree of 'using socionics to suit and justify one's own preferences and prejudices' that everybody has to get over the course of learning socionics. And it's te,ping, because of course socionics lines up with our preferences in some things, that's one of the basic tennets: we're going to like our quadra's way of doing things better. But it's easy to take that too far and end up mistyping people all over the place, ya know?

Anyway, yeah, let's talk some more about how we learned socionics. I think it could be an interesting conversation.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning socionics is all about dropping the childish habit of jumping to conclusions on everything and thinking you can guess at things right the first time.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Learning socionics is all about dropping the childish habit of jumping to conclusions on everything and thinking you can guess at things right the first time.
    ...and socionics is all about judging methods obviously related to unvalued IMs as wrong. . On the other hand, you're somewhat right.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-male

I'll post in a serious reply later...

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    I'll post in a serious reply later...
    Liar.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first time I've heard of socionics, I briefly skipped over some information on it and assumed I was INTj, due to P/J switch. I was quite sure of being INTP because I not only always tested as one, but also felt much more at home among INTPs than INTJs in MBTI communities, especially INTJforum, where people tried to tell me my thinking process isn't what I say it is, because INTPs are so and so, which was beyond ridiculous. To make the long story short, I turned to socionics and realized how silly it was to dismiss the difference as a naming convention, when in fact using Jungian functions in MBTI was nearly impossible - for example, many people identifying with J characteristics redefined Ni to fit their needs, as I did with Ti and Ne because of identifying with P.

Once I realized INTp was a much better fit, it still took several months to see how socionics play out in real life and find out my subtype, to discard the previous understanding and get into socionics mindset. This made types of some people I know increasingly clear with time, although I initially had problems typing them.

Learning socionics was much like learning anything else - once I got interested, I read all I could find about a theory, reconciling information from different sources, and after a while I started to get a feel of how it works.

Creepy-male

Here is my full story...

Part 1 - The Origins
    (Winter 2005) I was on aim with this girl one night and she was telling me how I seemed so introverted when she first met me, I didn't show it but this pissed me off so I googled introvert after the conversation and came across something that linked to an MBTI site promoting introverts as valuable people that don't deserve their negative sterotype... I check it out cautiously to see what it said.

Part 2 - Kiersey
    It linked to a website with Kiersey's version of MBTI, I took a test and learned most of the principles in 2 days along with the descriptions. I showed my Friends excited.

Part 3 - Friends pick it Up
    I showed my close group of friends and we ended coming up with types... at first we all loved it and thought it was interesting like crack....but everyone wanted to type me as INTj and I didn't like the typing for really obvious reasons. My friend which typed himself as an ESTp would always spin the Introverted and Thinking part negatively because there was drama between us before this thing every came up. He told me crap like I was too Introverted and so forth... basically make me feel like shit... told me I thought too much.... I had no soul, didn't have emotions.... and it made me angry... but he just kept it up. Anyways wanting to prove him wrong, I learned the theory more and more and became engrossed in it. I knew Kiersey really well and even started to learn of MBTI/Jungian Functions, Enneagram.

Part 4 - Showing up on Forum
    I stumbled upon this forum through searching around 2006, about 6 months into this all... I didn't know socionics, but I stuck around and heard people discuss the functions.... I learned about model A and the functions and review the knowledge at work to make sense of it (at this time I worked at a grocery store which was boring so I'd mull this over while sacking groceries or something). Eventually I left because I found talking to people on here made me Angry as did talking to my friends about this crap.... eventually I got outed from my group of friends because the ESTp used Kiersey basically as propeganda against me. He'd have this phrase called "rationalizing"... since in Kiersey NT's are rationals.... and coincidentally "rationalizing" is also used in psychology as basically using logic to make bullshit appear true.... it was so effective that I could never just fucking explain anything out anymore about myself.... I'd try to tell my other close friend "oh I'm sorry... see the reason I didn't do this was because.....".... what do you fucking know.... RATIONALIZING!!!!!!!! anything I did was basically countered by this and I was completely defeated socially by this rat. On the forum, conflict was rampant too over things, so I left the forum in frustration and frankly never planned to come back. I remember Expat ragged at me for claiming VI is bullshit.

Part 5 - Break from Personality Stuff and Re-emergence
    I stopped thinking about all of this stuff for a while to cool down, but so much damage was done... I really hated the situation in all sincerity, I don't think I've ever had a time in my life where I was so consumed by hate. Eventually my other friend stopped hanging out with my ESTp friend because in Kiersey ESTp's are promoters... and we'd use the term "promoting" for when someone was trying to make something appear good when in actuality in may or may not be.... anyways my friend thought the ESTp was promoting his way into things and was just manipulative. I started to chill with my other friend, but away from the ESTp.... the fact my friend rejected the ESTp for some time angered him and he would always "demote" me... as we put it... (the opposite of promote). Anyways... eventually my friend started hanging out with ESTp and there was tension between us constantly.... I eventually got him riled up when I started to talk about Introverted Intuition... because both my and my friend where supposedly Introverted Intuitives.... so I'd always talk about how it was soo great... not purposefully, but now the ESTp wanted to try to claim he was ENTp... and got a taste of his own medicine... didn't like it when people don't accept your type.... eventually things got crazy and we stopped hanging out.

Part 6 - Long Break
    This all went down up to Spring 2007...... afterwhich I was so crazed out about what had happened because of this that I tried to stop thinking about it, forcefully.... I didn't like having a little type hanging over my head trying to define my destiny and force me to believe things about myself I didn't feel. I worked at a resteraunt, went to school, and got over it... I started hanging out with my friends ESTp and INFp again and we talk kiersey very little and very cautiously, but a lot of damage was done lol...... I had to find new groups of close friends too.... and for a while I had no close friends (only for a semester), but it sucked....... Now days we are all fairly cool with each other

Part 7 - Return to this Website
    Sometime in 2008 I got an email from this website "THE 16 types misses you" or some crap. I got online and things were different from 2006... Gilligan was now... Gilliganreturns... I talked a little about type change.... and everyone was like "THIS ISN'T SOCIONICS... LEAVE!!!!!!" and I made some analogies and then said I was leaving and I left..... then Gilliganreturns was like "You'll be back...." and guess what.....

Part 8 - I did come back
    In Fall 2009 I was bored and got on because I started to think about socionics one day.... and I had still been receiving those annoying emails....... and so I did then I returned and freshened up on socionics by making several good reads through WIKISOCION and related sites.... This time gilly was in charge....

Part 9 - THE END

So I guess at first it was wanting to learn more about myself, how I was unique and appreciating that...... then it became addicting.... seeing other people in this way all over... but it became a trainwreck..... and now its just like an addiction.... I love to think about it, but I hate the fucking conflict that seems to arise when discussing this.
    Last edited by male; 08-07-2010 at 11:13 AM.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing becomes better when you dare to rely more on your vybes and feelings, instead of analysis of every word a person says.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing becomes better when you dare to rely more on your vybes and feelings, instead of analysis of every word a person says.
    Years upon years of postings on this forum have shown that when people vibe-type, they end up with wildly varying results in the vast majority of cases. If there is any method of typing that has been proven to be unrelyable, it is that one.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Years upon years of postings on this forum have shown that when people vibe-type, they end up with wildly varying results in the vast majority of cases. If there is any method of typing that has been proven to be unrelyable, it is that one.
    Such an answers doesn't come as a surprise from LII 'the analyst'.

But the same can be said about analysing on this forum. Every words gets catagorized into Te or Ni or whatever.

In real life, there is so much going on that it's too much to analyze piece by piece therefor vybes more practical.
    Last edited by Jarno; 08-07-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's besttotype out of your ego. ILIa should amass data then make a guess, IEIs should guess After social Interaction, or watching some social interaction, and LIIs should build a rigorous theoretical model and proceed from there.