Thread: Sensitivity to touch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sensitivity to touch.

I would like to know how touch sensitive some of you are and how it is related to type.

Some would suggest that Introverts are more sensitive than Extraverts. Others would say it's the Sensing function. I'm willing to think that the ISxx types overall seem the most sensitive to people touching them, while the ENxx types are almost oblivious to it. For example, an ENxx might not even notice if their hand was burned. They might even do more risky things if they are not worried about the pain. One ENTP I know stuck his hand in an icebath of water for 20 bucks and almost got frostbite because of it. ISxx would be somewhat more cautious with what they do, but then again, know their limitations better.

As for me, I am also very sensitive to touch. I hate it when people try to get close to me/touch me when I feel uncomfortable. I may not react too favorabaly to it.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite sensative, I think. I used to avoid a certain kind of contact -intenstive sparring back in my earlier years... it was too much contact for me. Nowadays I've gotten better, but I'm still very sensative, I'd say.

Exceptions are if I'm "in the zone", like in an adrenaline rush, or intensely focused on something. At that time, I'm more or less imperturbable.

But If walking or in a social setting, I'm very aware, perhaps too aware. It's taken me a long time to "get used" to little things, or even when "friends" have friendly contact.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sensitivity to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I would like to know how touch sensitive some of you are and how it is related to type.

Some would suggest that Introverts are more sensitive than Extraverts. Others would say it's the Sensing function. I'm willing to think that the ISxx types overall seem the most sensitive to people touching them, while the ENxx types are almost oblivious to it. For example, an ENxx might not even notice if their hand was burned. They might even do more risky things if they are not worried about the pain. One ENTP I know stuck his hand in an icebath of water for 20 bucks and almost got frostbite because of it. ISxx would be somewhat more cautious with what they do, but then again, know their limitations better.

As for me, I am also very sensitive to touch. I hate it when people try to get close to me/touch me when I feel uncomfortable. I may not react too favorabaly to it.
    it all depends.

i can only wear something that's smooth. rough textures, loose threads, etc, drive me insane.

i have an execellant touch ability. i can recognize texture easily, i can see textures by hearing them, and feel them in my head.

i can remember when someone placed a hand on my shoulder.

however, if i get cut, i will hardly notice it, often i look down, see blood, and think - "how about that, i'm bleeding". not sure when it happened, but something happened.

i'll bruise myself but it usually only hurts a few days.

sometimes i can control if i itch or hurt or not. i had a real bad itch, and i was able to mask it out with my mind - but it took alot of concentration to do it.
    INTJ, INTp, ILI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't have an orgasm Transigent. Kraus said something similar, so I don't know how much it means.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTps and their rape fantasies.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, we're looking at two different subjects here. I have a high tolerance for pain. Yes, I feel it. Yes, it bothers me. I just know how to not allow it to distress me, that's all.

When it comes to comfort, though, I'm fussier. I can't wear certain fabrics, can't allow my comforter to touch my skin, won't eat certain foods because they make my teeth feel funny, have to wear low rise pants because I don't like the way regular pants feel on me (I do have a very low raise though), take forever to eat because I have to cut my food to just the right sizes and shapes... I could go on and on...
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus
    It depends on the way that I'm touched.

If it's unexpected, I'm pretty sensitive to it.
    If it's myself doing it, or If I know that it'll be painful or uncomfortable, I'm really good at ignoring it.

Sometimes I don't realize if I get injured by something, and I'll see blood and be like "wtf happened there?"

However, if someone randomly brushes up against me when I'm not expecting it, I notice it really fast.
    Same is valid for me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    Whereas for ExTj, they are...uh..."settling" with thier love. I can't find the right word, but they are more rational. Like, they have more control over it. So if they are in good relations with someone, they will make themselves "love" the person subconciously, and sometimes the emotions can seem a little "fake" at times (e.g. black-n-white role function) but in general they will be much more consistent, and they will at least make a consistent effort to let the other person know.
    Shockingly accurate!Very good.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like, have no pain threshold all. Really hypersensitive to pain.

With touch, I like being touched very,very much. But nice touch. "Inappropriate" touch, or more like, incorrect and inaccurate touch, am sensitive to as much as to pain. I also like to touch stuff. A lot. When I see something my first reaction is to touch to see what it is. I'm a very tactile oriented person.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general, I think the thought of pain is much worse than how it feels. If I know something is going to hurt, I'll get really scared of it.

I can't be very sensitive, I guess, because I get bruises all the time. It's not like I "walk into a door". I actually really do walk into the door very often. I don't notice it that much. I'll get a bruise, it will heal, whatever.
    But I have an awful sensitivity to pain or anything that reminds me of real pain. When a neurologist examined me with her pointy stick (poking me to see if I feel it), she found it funny, how much I felt it. And I have a problem with some fabrics, foods, textures...

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    Whereas for ExTj, they are...uh..."settling" with thier love. I can't find the right word, but they are more rational. Like, they have more control over it. So if they are in good relations with someone, they will make themselves "love" the person subconciously, and sometimes the emotions can seem a little "fake" at times (e.g. black-n-white role function) but in general they will be much more consistent, and they will at least make a consistent effort to let the other person know.
    I quess its true. The same works in the opposite direction too. If I think that the person will not be good enough for me to live with, I'll dump him within 2 weeks. I will just really start to dislike him. And it has happened many times. We start dating, I see that they are not going to be successful in life, I don't like them anymore.
    PS! Me, with as role and as suggestive and Erkki with as PoLR and as hidden agenda (cool combination, isn't it? :wink: ) have found a solution. We actually say "I love you" or other awwww things to each other several times per day. We don't know how to express it, so we just say it.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im rather hardy in some ways and sensitive in others. I can handle people touching me or leaning on me without a problem. I enjoy horseplay and wrestling with my brothers and friends. I greet many friends with a hug or at least a handshake. I always chocked it up to being from a big family.

Noisey bars and concerts seem to drain me and make me feel uncomfortable. Sensory overload. Doesnt stop me from going though. I just dont go much.

I like to touch things to understand them. I would never buy something that I would wear online for that reason. I have to feel the texture and see the real color. Even with food Im pretty hardy. I will eat most food put in front of me, and enjoy it too I mean I wont eat dog food or anything but Im not terribly picky about my food so that it has to be just so. As long as its fresh and simple its probably OK. When I was a kid there were just a few foods I could not eat because of the texture (cream style corn, runny oatmeal and peach skin) Even those things dont bother me anymore. (except peach skin, brrrr)
    I dont like damp cold weather, like the kind you find in Seattle. That is dibilitating and become very weak. All I want to do is perserve my energy.
    Sometimes I have trouble sleeping at night because of my sheets. For some reason the fabric of cotton sheets bothers me. Sometimes I will put on a pair of jeans and go to bed. Flannel sheets are great. I could never sleep with silk sheets, ewww. Infact I dont like silky, smooth fabrics touching me, save a silk tie which is not worn against the skin. I like textured, warm fabrics.
    Once I had a pair of cowboy boots that looked so awesome I wore them even though they killed my feet. I kept hoping they would break in and loosen up. I lost that battle. I donated them to charity after a few months . I learn my leason about wearing comfortable shoes.
    Oh I almost forgot. I hate needles. I cant bear to look when I get a shot or blood test. I dont like to see it on TV either. I dont like to even think of it while I write this. I cant stand to look at that Hellraiser guy. ick

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    PS! Me, with as role and as suggestive and Erkki with as PoLR and as hidden agenda (cool combination, isn't it? :wink: ) have found a solution. We actually say "I love you" or other awwww things to each other several times per day. We don't know how to express it, so we just say it.
    my entj roomate tells me he loves me all the time. and he gives me hugs.

i am not so much attentive to touching everyday things. i am very attentive to touch given by people. when i go out, i have started touching more, even with girlies that i do not know. i havent had a negative response yet, and it gives me a bit of a thrill.

enduring physical pain is no problem for me, but i can't stand to see someone else's mutilation. operating room documentarys give me chills.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bruise myself and don't know how it happened, but on the other hand I'm hypersensitive to some types of touch. I don't like the touch of very soft things, like cotton puffs or velvet. It really bugs me. And I don't like to wear jewelry (even my wedding ring) because it bugs me to have jewelry on.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sensitive to touch, I don't like much physical contact, especially with people I don't know, that makes me really unconfortable. Generally I have a low physical pain threshhold, I usually stay away from anything that I think may cause physical pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    And I don't like to wear jewelry (even my wedding ring) because it bugs me to have jewelry on.
    Same here, I don't ever wear rings, braclets or a watch. I just feel like they hinder me in a funny kind of way, and also it feels like they 'dirty' me, as they are clunky metal things that usually arn't particularly aesthetic or 'clean' in colour or texture. I don't have any tatoo's either for the same reason, they seem dirty and impure somehow, and you have to endure terrible pain to get them.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only jewelry I wear is body jewelry and my thumb ring. You will never see me in braclets, necklaces, or earrings that aren't the type you'd find in a tattoo and body peircing shop, such captive bead rings. I feel most strongly about the last of these items. "Regular" earrings, even expensive ones, look like cheap abominations to me, and are IMO the tackiest thing a person can wear. And you will NEVER see me in yellow gold. Platinum or silver are best, I won't die if I wear white gold. And diamonds are gay. All they are is the result of a VERY clever marketing scheme. It's worse than celebrating sweetest day!
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    The only jewelry I wear is body jewelry and my thumb ring. You will never see me in braclets, necklaces, or earrings that aren't the type you'd find in a tattoo and body peircing shop, such captive bead rings. I feel most strongly about the last of these items. "Regular" earrings, even expensive ones, look like cheap abominations to me, and are IMO the tackiest thing a person can wear. And you will NEVER see me in yellow gold. Platinum or silver are best, I won't die if I wear white gold. And diamonds are gay. All they are is the result of a VERY clever marketing scheme. It's worse than celebrating sweetest day!
    Dont beat around the bush Joy. Tell us how you really feel. I dont like tatoos and piercings much. I think girls look nice with a little jewelry but no need to go overboard.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Creepy-pokeball

Judging sensory touch in relation to people is a huge mistake. I would bet $ that there are large differences in gender, culture, nation, religion/lack of, etc etc etc alone. And why is Si duddenly about personal touch?

As for me personally (minus the people parts) I am very sensitive to textures and scents. I touch everything I grow. I touch all the plants that I encounter and can tell you each of their textures. I can tell you the shade of green or whatever else color as well. Scent is sensitive to me. I cannot stand man-made crap at all. It is too strong. I can pick up the scent of musky leaves every single Fall and it always brings back memories of my childhood playing in the cottonwood leaves in South Dakota. As for jewelry--I hate it. Im going to be so screwed when I marry some day. I cannt stand the feel of it on me. Im either going to have to get a tattoo finger band or a chain around my neck with a ring on it... or something. I refuse any of that crap to be on my hands tho. It bothers me. Plus Im likely to lose it working outside.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sighs* tradition...
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't wear a wedding ring. I'm still married.

It can be done!
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-pokeball

I doubt I could be that lucky. I just know Im gonna get stuck with one of those damned things =)

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha it's funny reading stuff I wrote a while ago. Anyways, there was a whole thread on this subject a while back. Check it out.

http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...ght=ring#19870
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, what about sensativity to the booty smack?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not very sensitive to pain. I'm sensitive to the idea of pain. Example: giving birth. Before I became pregnant I was terrified of the pain, but in the end I gave birth without painkillers (NOT BY CHOICE) and it was OK. I find that actual pain is OK if I don't worry about it beforehand and if I have a goal I can focus on. So giving birth was easier because I focussed on getting the baby out (obviously), or if I'm in a dentist's chair I focus on keeping my mouth open.

But take acupuncture. Sitting there waiting for the needle to cause pain. Not good.

With being touched it's the other way round. I like the idea, but I'm jumpy IRL. That's because (a) my family is not physically affectionate, and (b) because of my PTSD. So I only like to be hugged by people I feel VERY VERY VERY comfortable with, and even then I hate being hugged tightly, or grabbed/touched in a way that feels even remotely like a constraint or like an attack.

No clothing that feels restrictive. No rollernecks, no cuffs I can't roll up, no jewellery that clunks around or slips off constantly. I prefer clothes made of stuff I can really notice. Like, I prefer tight jeans to long flowing skirts. It's almost like I need a certain level of sensory input to notice it at all. Colour perception: similar. I prefer colours I can really NOTICE. My Si-dominant husband prefers subtle shades, and I prefer colours that scream "LOOK AT ME!!"

As for the rest, it's like Topaz said. Only differences: peach skins are OK, the skins on mandarine or orange slices aren't.

Creepy-pokeball

On that note, Cat, I am now going to be checking out everyone looking for how much jewelry/other-excess they may or may not be wearing. No ya gone and did it

Your skill at people watching has risen (567).

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like blues and earth tones.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jadae, why not? It's bad to use simplistic chlichées, of course... so: use complex clichées. Lots of complex clichées.

Creepy-pokeball

Im either really, really confused or really, really tired. Why not what? I dont know what youre referring to =/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errrmmm.... sorry, didn't express myself clearly. I was referring to your "now ya gone and did it". My remark was meant in the sense of "yes, but is it a bad thing?" ...Sooooooooooooo tired. Our daughter has let us sleep in today, though. She woke up an hour later than usual - half past six instead of half past five. Yay.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone else "concious" of their body at all times? I know I am... I generally think about what my body does, and things like that. Even if a have a small blemish on my face, for example, it will annoy me to no end. Even if it's not noticable to others, it's just uncomfortable to me.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-pokeball

Cat: Nope! It's a good thing imo.

Rocky: That seems more accurate of Si to me than a lot of previous things mentioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Is anyone else "concious" of their body at all times? I know I am... I generally think about what my body does, and things like that. Even if a have a small blemish on my face, for example, it will annoy me to no end. Even if it's not noticable to others, it's just uncomfortable to me.
    This is interesting. I know an ISTP who actually measures off his steps sometimes so as to 'economize' his movements. He is always telling me how to lift stuff and how to positon my self when bowling or playing a sport. Im not so good at knowing what my body is doing at all times. For example I could be sitting in a bad position at work and be so into what Im doing as to not notice unitl I finally decide to get up. Then Im all achy.

Topaz