Thread: Racism in US justice system: evidence

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Racism in US justice system: evidence

14 reasons why..

PSLweb.org: Fourteen examples of systemic racism in the U.S. criminal justice system

Snippet:
    Race is so prominent in that study that whites with criminal records actually received better treatment than Blacks without criminal records!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh my. Can't be.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Oh my. Can't be.
    fucking lol

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as planned.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Oh my. Can't be.
    Now there is statistical evidence to back up all the rap songs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One: This might be due to higher drug use among Blacks; drug use in poorer areas tends more towards violent crime than in middle class areas (A higher percentage of people in poorer neighborhoods are black). This is a good reason why we need to focus on removing the wealth distribution between whites and everyone else.

Two: This skates over why they were stopped, why they were frisked, what neighborhood the stopping and frisking occured in.

Three: See one.

Four: Does not seem to take into account the types of crimes committed, flight risk, ability to make bail, behavior during bail hearings, ability to present character witnesses during these hearings, repeat offender status.

Five: Agreed, but this isn't a racial problem, this is a problem with how we treat the accused in the world, shit like this has been going on since the beginning of human society, where the richer and more powerful get better treatment than everyone else.

Six: This has to do with a problem with how we view juries in this country, also this does not mention that either side has the power kick a limited number of potential jurors off without review.

Seven: This says absolutely nothing about racial disparities but does say a lot about the American "justice" system.

Eight: Does not take into account repeat offense, seriousness of offense, conduct during arrest, conduct during trial.

Nine: Does not take into account repeat offense, character witnesses, or what crime was committed, or why it was comitted.

Ten: On the surface, this does not take into account the type of drug used, conduct during arrest, or actual evidence of an actual crime.

Eleven: This point purely talks about probability of a racial group being convicted of a crime and ignores the probability of said group committing the crime.

Twelve: This point glosses over and seems to ignore probability of committing a crime and seriousness of the crime.

Thirteen: Valid point except that this has nothing to do with race. The sentence that does have to do with race is already listed elsewhere so it is not a new point but a repeat of an old point. Repeating an old point is valid as long as you don't try and increase the point counter.

Fourteen: While this ignores things that I have listed above, this point has nothing to do with the justice system itself. However, it says nothing about pre-trial employment status.

1,2,4,6,8,9- all deal with race and the justice system and are not rehashed of previous points.
    14- has nothing to do with the justice system, and has to do with employers ( who are not part of the justice system). I will retract this claim if someone can point me to a law that says that employers must roll dice when approached by ex-cons, and must use loaded ones when approached by blacks.

3 repeats 1
    5 makes one claim with a statistic and another with nothing.
    7 repeats the same mistake 5 made
    10 repeats 3 which repeats 1
    11 is a summary of 7, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10
    12 is a repeat of 1 and 3 and 10
    13 is a repeat of 12

While this article makes 6 valid non-repetitive points about racial injustice in the US, it fails to take address why more blacks end up before the police to begin with. The article does claim that the same thing happens to poor whites, so I am not sure what this has to do with race.
    LIE-Ni, i think, but maybe ILI