Thread: Anybody know anything about "Vocabulary Identification Method"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anybody know anything about "Vocabulary Identification Method"

as mentioned on socionics.com? I've never heard anyone talk about it on this forum. Er, I guess people do by posting text conversations or whatnot. It would be cool to have a subforum on it? Maybe? (or maybe not) Anyway, I'm interested in how the various types express themselves verbally, written or spoken. Like for example, I know this ILI who has a blog and it's an amazing example of NiTe. Incredible. I know a little bit has been discussed regarding dating sites and what people say about themselves in their descriptions. Various phrases, etc.

Vocabulary method

This method is not used widely yet. The idea of the method is to recognise different Types of people by their use of different vocabularies, phrases and speech. For the practical utilisation of this method, it is necessary to be able to participate and observe simultaneously during conversation.

Advantages of the method: quite accurate and relatively quick; allows remote identification (by telephone, Internet IRC, etc.)

Disadvantages of the method: requires a lot of training; difficult to apply in a multilingual environment.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading over that, the lists aren't that good.

But people do use a study of vocab here, quite often. They just don't cite it, because the lists are more to get a general feel for the terms with which people phrase things.

For example: people who use lots of smileys and flowery, emotive language are probably Fe types. People who phrase everything in terms of goals and conflict are probably Se-valuing.
    Stan is not my real name.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I didn't know about that link, thanks.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it works pretty well if you're trying to type someone via internet forum, supposing of course the person doesn't have a peculiar internet persona etc.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, THANK YOU Ashton! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vocab page is great. It's the first thing I would show someone who is interested in learning more about their type.

If you are an Ni ego female;

break, crush, beat, beat up, rip into, conquer, size up, take down, bring down, tear down, build up, tackle, finish off, wipe out, overcome (psychologically and emotionally as well as physically)
    Dear fellow boring Te valuers;

How often do you use the ATM?

Creepy-male

Anyone want to develop a database of function related vocabulary, and then use a program to tabulate the appearance of words in various users posts and give a statistical weight of their vocabulary? To see if this actually works.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Anyone want to develop a database of function related vocabulary, and then use a program to tabulate the appearance of words in various users posts and give a statistical weight of their vocabulary? To see if this actually works.
    I think that would be really cool.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried it manually once or twice, and it works to a degree. Part of the problem is that some words are used differently in different contexts, and part of it depends on what text you've selected.

I just did a trial run on my last 17 posts, plus an essay I'm working on, and got the following results

Ti words: 22
    Te words: 7

Ne words: 17
    Ni words: 2

Fe words: 19
    Fi words: 6

Se words: 20
    Si words: 0

Aside from the strange over-representation of Se words (which I suspect would disappear if I didn't count metaphorical uses of the words), it looks like this method got my valued functions right, at least, as well as my base function.

Maybe with a large enough sample size, the inconsistencies would even out? It would be interesting to try. If I had any programming skill to speak of, I would have tried it already.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coooooool!

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    It would be interesting to try. If I had any programming skill to speak of, I would have tried it already.
    I did a lot of stuff like this for engineering where you do statistical analysis' using programmed algorithmns, if there is anyone out there with sufficient technical skills concerning programming/internet... I could easily program out the data analysis part.

So if anyone can handle the programming/internet side of this... I can easily do the statistical analysis.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I did a lot of stuff like this for engineering where you do statistical analysis' using programmed algorithmns, if there is anyone out there with sufficient technical skills concerning programming/internet... I could easily program out the data analysis part.

So if anyone can handle the programming/internet side of this... I can easily do the statistical analysis.
    That would be really awesome (Fe word alert!) to have a program that did that. I've seen sites that have done similar for Myers-Briggs.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    That would be really awesome (Fe word alert!) to have a program that did that. I've seen sites that have done similar for Myers-Briggs.
    Lol know anyone who has technical programming skills concerning forums?

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm made a word counter before, you don't really need forum knowledge, just database knowledge and html knowledge. I've also got a algorithm to stripping out quoted text and stuff(same as the forum algorithm). It's pretty easy to do. Also if you want to do like analysis without access to the database. I navigate thread by thread for a user and just strip out the thread text via the existing search engine.

Take a search http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...earchid=713074 search result(haven't automated this yet), just go thru each link to a thread in the list and pull up that page in a http stream, then pull the post content and strip out the quoted text.

Since the current forum search returns 500 posts max, that is a minor limitation, but 500 is a good sample size I think.
    Last edited by mu4; 08-05-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't really work too well in reality, but you can try. Sure you can type people of the forum based on what kind of words and expressive and grammatical contexts they use, but is it really Socionics or just some other science? From my experience, you have to get past the details and features of communication, and into the intentions of their complex personality. Very different words can convey similar ideas, and in my opinion its the idea itself that is more type related.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    It doesn't really work too well in reality, but you can try. Sure you can type people of the forum based on what kind of words and expressive and grammatical contexts they use, but is it really Socionics or just some other science? From my experience, you have to get past the details and features of communication, and into the intentions of their complex personality. Very different words can convey similar ideas, and in my opinion its the idea itself that is more type related.
    sure, I just thought it would be fun to see how it turns out