Thread: IEIs-INFps who are reserved in emotions and expression

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEIs-INFps who are reserved in emotions and expression

I know two people who I think are IEI whose type threw me off at first because they were so quiet and reserved that I didn't consider Fe ego at first. Both seem ego block-impaired due to environmental circumstances. idk, what do you think? Are IEI's more reserved in emotional expression than others extroverted (or strong Se) Fe ego types?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Ego block impaired"... yeah I guess that's the alternative to observing that EM types exist.

Most likely ILI or SLI EM. Although, EIE EM is another possibility.

I wonder, does one of them sorta resemble Sephiroth?

Whether a person is emotionally expressive or not has nothing to do with their type. Opening up about what they are feeling is a different matter entirely.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    "Ego block impaired"... yeah I guess that's the alternative to observing that EM types exist.

Most likely ILI or SLI EM. Although, EIE EM is another possibility.

I wonder, does one of them sorta resemble Sephiroth?

Whether a person is emotionally expressive or not has nothing to do with their type. Opening up about what they are feeling is a different matter entirely.
    dude, I don't post enough to keep up with you. I mean, I never did post enough to get it (haha), but now I don't even recognize your vocabulary.
    SEE

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Joy,

You must remember that your understanding of socionics is flawed.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely not. In my experience the presence of a dual (your presence if you believe yourself to be SLE) can really make IEIs open up. It is perhaps the case that IEIs may seem reserved from a distance but I would be inclined to disagree with you very strongly if you are finding IEIs being emotionally reserved in an intimate (1 on 1) setting.
    Easy Day

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Absolutely not. In my experience the presence of a dual (your presence if you believe yourself to be SLE) can really make IEIs open up. It is perhaps the case that IEIs may seem reserved from a distance but I would be inclined to disagree with you very strongly if you are finding IEIs being emotionally reserved in an intimate (1 on 1) setting.
    you think joys an sle?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    you think joys an sle?
    Nope.

EDIT: And of course it's my opinion that if she is interacting with IEIs on an intimate level and they seem reserved then either her type or the IEIs type is incorrect.
    Easy Day

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I'm pretty strongly reserved on a normal basis, but will express myself with little restraint around the right person. most people just feel like they come with their hands out, and it makes me want nothing to do with them.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely not. In my experience the presence of a dual (your presence if you believe yourself to be SLE) can really make IEIs open up. It is perhaps the case that IEIs may seem reserved from a distance but I would be inclined to disagree with you very strongly if you are finding IEIs being emotionally reserved in an intimate setting.
    Nooooooooo. Perhaps more emotionally reserved in some aspects around me than other IEI's (though perhaps for good reason? fuck), but the two I'm referring to do definitely get more emotionally expressive and less reserved when I interact with them. It's like this spark ignites. But before we had much interaction they had a sort of stoic appearance and my initial typings were Te creative. It wasn't until we interacted more that the Fe came out. Before they seemed really... bottled up. Now they seem to be coming alive more. Expressing themselves more. But they're still not nearly as sociable or emotionally expressive as some other people I've typed as IEI, and I don't think they ever will be. They're just more reserved in general than the others. I guess the range of Fe is just throwing me off a little. One of them (which I know professionally) has learned that if he expresses himself to me even a little I'll go to bat for him in whatever the situation is, which he seems to appreciate and makes use of.

The other I think I still need to communicate that to properly. That one is used to Se + Fi, so when someone is forceful it's usually combined with them trying to make a specific thing happen and when it comes to subjective values, the Se wins out. He would get steamrolled if he got into a confrontation about it unless he totally flipped out, and if he does that it would just end in a silent stalemate. I want to communicate that I want to make it happen, but I need him to let me know what "it" is if it's not just a matter of what simply makes sense. I want his input on the more subjective stuff so I know what to make happen.

With both I encourage them to let their silent Te guard down by helping them out with shit and just laughing off mistakes. Before it seemed like they were stubborn about not letting people know what they thought or wanted because people might get offended or disagree and they didn't want confrontation. They'd mostly just hope that the person would give up trying to engage them about it? Or get weird about weird things. But both would brag about how they could "handle themselves" (by blowing up) in serious confrontations.

idk, whatever. I think I've got it worked out actually. Not sure why I'm even posting this other than that there's some shit I'm supposed to be working on that I'm procrastinating on, haha.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on an intimate level
    Yeah, that's where shit gets complicated, lol. One can't I get personal like that with or there will be problems and the other I'm just starting to get close to.
    Last edited by Joy; 08-04-2010 at 06:16 AM.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joy,

You must remember that your understanding of socionics is flawed.
    roflmao

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can be extraordinarily reserved and I only express myself emotionally when I feel like it. I always have the option of totally locking up inside this interesting internal world, and often I have to be provided with a decent reason to leave my head and come to the real world instead. I think IEIs almost more than any other type can fully live in our imaginations, our internal world, with almost no need for information or ideas that aren't already changed and transformed in our own heads. And we can totally detach, to the point that there may not even be any external sign that there's anything going on at all, except if you're perceptive. I mean I totally withdraw, to the point that I'm even walking on autopilot, and only moving enough to avoid bumping into people (usually). I'm usually like this walking from class to class, actually.

So basically, if you catch me in that kind of mood, I'm only going to acknowledge you or pay any attention to you at all if either a) I feel a social obligation to do so (as in it would be rude not to and you are in the category of people I don't feel comfortable being rude to), or b) you are more interesting that what's going on inside of me. SLEs are usually (usually) more interesting than what's going on inside of me, especially if I'm sick of myself. And so once I come out of my interior world, then the Fe comes on and I become super-pleasant and emotionally expressive and whatever. So basically if I don't light up its because I currently prefer what's going on inside me to what's going on "out there." Note that what's going on in, say, a novel, actually counts as something going on inside me, because it's unfolding in my mental landscape, my mental theater. While I'm reading, unless I'm reacting emotionally to the text (I do this more with drama than with lyric poetry), I'm sure I seem like a total blank emotionally.

But I'd imagine an IEI could seem almost identical to an ILI if he/she were all the way 100% in their heads. I mean, it's almost like an out-of-body experience not in the sense that you look down on yourself from outside yourself, but in the sense that you become totally unaware of yourself physically, your awareness is totally internal, you're only taking in information from outside yourself through the very basics of the senses, and doing as little "with" that information as possible. I definitely stare into space. It's fascinating how it helps to have your eyes open somehow, like it helps to have this defocused background for thought. It's like trying to access information from another source. Most Ni-egos do it, especially IXIs. I saw a piano player from Juliard improvising once, who could very well have been IEI, but while he was playing, he was staring off into space and it was like he was reading sheet music off the wall. He had this great, intense look on his face, like he was concentrating, because he was, he was concentrating internally on something invisible and internal which was telling him where to go next in the improvisation. So his hands were flying across the keyboard but his face was 1000% emotionless. It was like he transferred his emotional expression/consciousness into the piano, it was fascinating. That's a good example of what an IEI is like when they're concentrating on something internal. We can be a blank slate then.

So, in summary, yes, IEIs can be some of the most emotionally blank types out there depending on when you run into them. But if they're actually IEI, sooner or later, you're going to find some context, some environment, where they totally turn on the emotional energy. And of course it doesn't have to be BIG! LOUD! EXCITING! Fe. It can be a much subtler way of emotional expression that communicates rather complicated and specific internal states. A great test is to get them around an ESE that they're trying to get along with. When I hang out with ESEs, it's either ramp up the emotion and be very effusive and energetic and in-the-flow, or shut down and be blank until they go away. And of course, the other option is to be an SLE and be so fucking fascinating that you make me pay attention and start throwing awkward "notice me" glances your way and half-catching your eye and looking away when you see me but then looking back because I want to keep looking 'cause I'm enjoying the looking.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joy,

You must understand that those shoes you are wearing in your avatar are too big for you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I can be extraordinarily reserved and I only express myself emotionally when I feel like it. I always have the option of totally locking up inside this interesting internal world, and often I have to be provided with a decent reason to leave my head and come to the real world instead. I think IEIs almost more than any other type can fully live in our imaginations, our internal world, with almost no need for information or ideas that aren't already changed and transformed in our own heads. And we can totally detach, to the point that there may not even be any external sign that there's anything going on at all, except if you're perceptive. I mean I totally withdraw, to the point that I'm even walking on autopilot, and only moving enough to avoid bumping into people (usually). I'm usually like this walking from class to class, actually.
    I used to be that way all the time. Even now, when I'm walking around the neighborhood, I'm usually staring up into the sky without really seeing anything. I probably look like a freakin ditz. Not like I really care though.

And so once I come out of my interior world, then the Fe comes on and I become super-pleasant and emotionally expressive and whatever. So basically if I don't light up its because I currently prefer what's going on inside me to what's going on "out there."
    yes.
    But I'd imagine an IEI could seem almost identical to an ILI if he/she were all the way 100% in their heads. I mean, it's almost like an out-of-body experience not in the sense that you look down on yourself from outside yourself, but in the sense that you become totally unaware of yourself physically, your awareness is totally internal, you're only taking in information from outside yourself through the very basics of the senses, and doing as little "with" that information as possible. I definitely stare into space. It's fascinating how it helps to have your eyes open somehow, like it helps to have this defocused background for thought. It's like trying to access information from another source. Most Ni-egos do it, especially IXIs. I saw a piano player from Juliard improvising once, who could very well have been IEI, but while he was playing, he was staring off into space and it was like he was reading sheet music off the wall. He had this great, intense look on his face, like he was concentrating, because he was, he was concentrating internally on something invisible and internal which was telling him where to go next in the improvisation. So his hands were flying across the keyboard but his face was 1000% emotionless. It was like he transferred his emotional expression/consciousness into the piano, it was fascinating. That's a good example of what an IEI is like when they're concentrating on something internal. We can be a blank slate then.
    That's interesting about the piano. I totally lose myself when I play. I think I probably came off as ILI for most of my high school years. I was in my head nearly all the time and rarely expressed myself in public.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    idk, whatever. I think I've got it worked out actually. Not sure why I'm even posting this other than that there's some shit I'm supposed to be working on that I'm procrastinating on, haha.
    lol it seems like you do have it worked out. I personally feel like I get some of my best work done when I'm procrastinating.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Joy,

You must understand that your username and custom title are redundant, because they repeat themselves and are both the same.

Creepy-male

Joy,

You must understand that you have indirectly spawned a new T16T meme.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Joy,

We don't expect you to understand. We know of your stripper past, and of your disability; we've seen the pictures. Although, who'd want to pay to watch you strip, well the mind boggles.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she must dig the harassment. like the negative energy of others becomes some pride pedestal for self-growth. anyway, not SLE. that is an insult, actually.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    she must dig the harassment. like the negative energy of others becomes some pride pedestal for self-growth. anyway, not SLE. that is an insult, actually.
    eh, there's a huge variety within types. I wouldn't expect to like every SLE I meet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nooooooooo. Perhaps more emotionally reserved in some aspects around me than other IEI's (though perhaps for good reason? fuck), but the two I'm referring to do definitely get more emotionally expressive and less reserved when I interact with them. It's like this spark ignites. But before we had much interaction they had a sort of stoic appearance and my initial typings were Te creative. It wasn't until we interacted more that the Fe came out. Before they seemed really... bottled up. Now they seem to be coming alive more. Expressing themselves more. But they're still not nearly as sociable or emotionally expressive as some other people I've typed as IEI, and I don't think they ever will be. They're just more reserved in general than the others. I guess the range of Fe is just throwing me off a little. One of them (which I know professionally) has learned that if he expresses himself to me even a little I'll go to bat for him in whatever the situation is, which he seems to appreciate and makes use of.
    This is accurate. I didn't read the rest because it's too long, but part of why I typed myself as Te creative to begin with was for these reasons. Seeing me across the room you would probably think I didn't want you to speak to me, or that I didn't like you.

Joy,

We don't expect you to understand. We know of your stripper past, and of your disability; we've seen the pictures. Although, who'd want to pay to watch you strip, well the mind boggles.
    lol what is her disability? I mean I know she's retarded but other than that.. is she officially retarded?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are IEI's more reserved in emotional expression than others extroverted (or strong Se) Fe ego types?

We're saving our faces from wrinkles.

Are you perhaps comparing 2 different sub types? I'm Ni and fall into the less emotionally expressive from a distance category. However my close friends call me a drama queen.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat360 View Post
    This is accurate. I didn't read the rest because it's too long, but part of why I typed myself as Te creative to begin with was for these reasons. Seeing me across the room you would probably think I didn't want you to speak to me, or that I didn't like you.

lol what is her disability? I mean I know she's retarded but other than that.. is she officially retarded?
    i think it's osmething gay like adhd or autism or sometihng

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    eh, there's a huge variety within types. I wouldn't expect to like every SLE I meet.
    I don't really have a problem with her, just shameless pretense.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I actually pretend I hate joy alot more than I do. I still hate her though, but it's a really shallow form of hatred.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Admit it, you guys only "hate" Joy because your beloved leader Ashton does, and his Beta kiwi capo as well.

those betas need a new Maritsa,that's all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is the old one gonnnneee??

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Admit it, you guys only "hate" Joy because your beloved leader Ashton does, and his Beta kiwi capo as well.
    Ashton hates Joy? Didn't know that.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't hate joy; she's too harmless.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL

Just came back today and saw all of this. The answer to why I don't care? Um, I just don't care. People can dislike me if they want to. That's they're problem, not mine.

Thanks to those who have contributed to this topic. It's interesting reading your input.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't they be able to see the results though?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call in for like two or three days in a row and they'll realize how much you do in your absence.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know two people who I think are IEI whose type threw me off at first because they were so quiet and reserved that I didn't consider Fe ego at first. Both seem ego block-impaired due to environmental circumstances. idk, what do you think? Are IEI's more reserved in emotional expression than others extroverted (or strong Se) Fe ego types?
    People usually perceive me as chilly, aloof, or reserved if I don't know them (or like them) well. It's sort of a "withholding" effect. At times, I also tend to deliberately resist being too open with my emotional expression, like I only want to spend it with particular individuals and situations. I'm more lavish if I deem the person worthy. No one who has been around me frequently enough thinks I'm reserved. In fact, they'd openly snort at that notion.

I guess I can also fake auto- pretty well. But it tends to feel plastic and disingenuous.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to that I think... it might have to do with Ni subtype, until I've known someone long enough or feel I know them well enough I'm definitely very reserved. Also in groups vs. one to one. My ENFp friend has forgotten before that I'm an F haha
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esper View Post
    I called in for about a week and they went through all the work I'd done (without me) and wrote me up for not finishing it. :frown:

**Edit: I think it's okay now cause I had a talk with them about it. I can't be sure tho...>.< ugh
    Who do I need to beat the shit out of?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good, sounds stressful and not rewarding. there are better things out there for you, places you'll be appreciated.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics ftw.

Whether I'm SLE or not, these two guys are IEI. And knowing that helps me understand exactly how they're not living up to their potential and the types of things I should appreciate and encourage in them and how to cover for their weaknesses to create a safe environment for them to be themselves. I've gotta say it's amazing seeing that spark in their eyes when I talk to them. I've realized that it's not that they're emotionally reserved, it's that they're emotionally repressed. Both have been through a lot of shit that has made them learn to be that way. In the case of the former it was a matter of bottling it up, and since we've been in frequent contact he's changed dramatically for the better. He smiles and laughs and lets people know when he's not happy, and he's been FAR more effective in his job because of it. In the case of the later I'm just beginning to see that spark really ignite and take off. It's a really awesome thing to experience. He's not bottling stuff up... he flipped the "emotion" switch off VERY early in childhood due to extremely difficult circumstances, and he's never been in safe enough circumstances to be able to switch it back on. It's a long story, but the bottom line is that Socionics is awesome, lol.
    SEE

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Socionics ftw.

Whether I'm SLE or not, these two guys are IEI. And knowing that helps me understand exactly how they're not living up to their potential and the types of things I should appreciate and encourage in them and how to cover for their weaknesses to create a safe environment for them to be themselves. I've gotta say it's amazing seeing that spark in their eyes when I talk to them. I've realized that it's not that they're emotionally reserved, it's that they're emotionally repressed. Both have been through a lot of shit that has made them learn to be that way. In the case of the former it was a matter of bottling it up, and since we've been in frequent contact he's changed dramatically for the better. He smiles and laughs and lets people know when he's not happy, and he's been FAR more effective in his job because of it. In the case of the later I'm just beginning to see that spark really ignite and take off. It's a really awesome thing to experience. He's not bottling stuff up... he flipped the "emotion" switch off VERY early in childhood due to extremely difficult circumstances, and he's never been in safe enough circumstances to be able to switch it back on. It's a long story, but the bottom line is that Socionics is awesome, lol.
    you know .. if i was an iei .. i wouldn't want you going around trying to see my "potential" ..

and iei's have a spark in their eye for everyone joy ..

you're not special don't kid yourself.

it helps them get things out of other people .. free food .. getting "off" things .. etc etc ..

iei's use people more than sle's... they're just more discrete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast