Thread: RPGs and Type

Creepy-cinq

Default RPGs and Type

In your opinion,

Are there certain types more inclined or attracted to RPGs, and which ones specifically?

Which types are least interested?

Which type/s would turn down an opportunity to go the bar with friends to spend Friday and/or Saturday night/s playing an RPG?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm EIE and I like RPGs. Only certain ones though. I don't fuck around with new ones, I just replay the ones from my childhood: FFVII/VIII/IX, Chrono Cross/Trigger, and Legend of Dragoon.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intriverted Intuitives, I'd think.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to say my SLI sure does love his games and his RPGs. I believe LokiV is the same. He'll come out and socialize, but if he really isn't feeling social, he'll definitely turn the night out down for a night in with his games.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By "RPG" do you mean the original pen-and-paper kind, or the video game kind? The former I'd say are almost all intuitives and primarily NTs, the latter are pretty much anyone, although I'd expect introverts to have more patience for them.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

Different types like RPGs for different reasons...

I've always seen it like NT's focus on the strategy of building their character to have great gear, good abilities, and so forth, experiment around with different combos

NF's focus on the immersion, story line, characters, the world

ST's focus on the tactics and gameplay

SF's focus on the sensory aspects... spell effects, movements, the world

Of course there is a mish-mash of all the elements in each individual, but I've noticed one is more highly prioritized.

Like now I've been playing Dragon Age Origins off and on... at first I got really immersed in it, liked the dialogue, the story, the characters.... now after playing it so long I'm like.... fuck I just want to get to the combat, I'm tired of all this bullshit dialogue. I tend to have trouble with being a pro at using tactics, but I like to build my party and characters to work well as a unit, like a well oiled machine... experiment around with different gear/abilities/and so forth. Try different tactics.

On youtube you can find people doing walkthroughs of games, and you can see there gameplay style... sometimes I'm surprised at how different people do stuff.

Personally I've always preferred the RPGs which gravitate towards medieval fantasy over the more animish japanese ones. I enjoy playing rogues and healers... really rogues because of the stealth tactics, healers because of the party support. I do this usually in all team games... in TF2 I play spies and medics. The first RPG I played was Mario RPG in 5th grade. I played some final fantasy in late middle school. Did two mmorpg in high school and secretly I had a phase where I would go play dnd occasionally on one of the nights on the weekend with a gaming group, and now I just prefer the occasional single player rpg... the other stuff is just a time sink I find, that's hows its been for me since I got into college... haven't touched MMOs or DnD and frankly I don't wish too because it's such a stigma and waste of time, I'll be honest though, occasionally I'll have cravings to play them lol... but they go away after a day and I'm glad I didn't end up feeding them.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LOL Havalucid
    no mention of NF's
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    THE MUSIC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-CGCaxC7fo]YouTube - FF Crystal Chronicles Music - Magi is Everything[/ame]

Best game ever, purely because the soundtrack is serial eargasms.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like RPGs, as do most of my friends.

In my D&D group there is an SLE (Joe) who loves to play skill monkeys with humorous personality traits, an SEE who plays tanks that deal a shitton of damage, and me, an IEE who tries to create the ultimate build for every character concept, but favors characters that can talk their way out of things. The other people that we play(ed) with I either don't know their type or haven't played with them enough to discern their character preferences.
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    I like RPGs, as do most of my friends.

In my D&D group there is an SLE (Joe) who loves to play skill monkeys with humorous personality traits, an SEE who plays tanks that deal a shitton of damage, and me, an IEE who tries to create the ultimate build for every character concept, but favors characters that can talk their way out of things. The other people that we play(ed) with I either don't know their type or haven't played with them enough to discern their character preferences.
    what do you mean?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I'm EIE and I like RPGs. Only certain ones though. I don't fuck around with new ones, I just replay the ones from my childhood: FFVII/VIII/IX, Chrono Cross/Trigger, and Legend of Dragoon.
    Those games kick ass...Ahh the sweet memories

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cinq View Post
    In your opinion,

Are there certain types more inclined or attracted to RPGs, and which ones specifically?

Which types are least interested?
    Most interested: LII IEI SLE EII
    Somewhat interested: ILE SEI ESE EIE IEE
    Not interested: LSI gammas LSE SLI

Which type/s would turn down an opportunity to go the bar with friends to spend Friday and/or Saturday night/s playing an RPG?
    A very young, introverted person
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My favorite part about RPGs is the characterization. I love having a wide variety of options and a system that makes it easy for others to see who and what my character is (unless they're the enemy, in which case it should be secret).

I also like having small groups of specialized characters with fully developes characterization. To me, a RPG is more of a RP than a G.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Different types like RPGs for different reasons...

I've always seen it like NT's focus on the strategy of building their character to have great gear, good abilities, and so forth, experiment around with different combos

NF's focus on the immersion, story line, characters, the world

ST's focus on the tactics and gameplay

Not always. There are a lot of Ti valuing NFs who value the first thing way more, and a lot of Fi valuing NTs who value the second thing a whole lot more, or at least as much as the first. So it depends really (but its definitely not a bad association to make). I think any type can like RPGs, though especially I'd have to say intuitives: because RPGs are very story and fantasy focused in general, which seems like a big picture kind of N thing to wrap your mind around.

I tend to "appreciate" RPGs a whole lot more than just liking them for play value, sort of in the Spielberg creative way.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    what do you mean?
    Stuff like kleptomania, gambling obsessions, peg legs, superiority complexes, amnesia, etc. and uses them for hilarious results.
    Stan is not my real name.

Creepy-cinq

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    By "RPG" do you mean the original pen-and-paper kind, or the video game kind? The former I'd say are almost all intuitives and primarily NTs, the latter are pretty much anyone, although I'd expect introverts to have more patience for them.
    Interesting you should ask. I initially was thinking pen and paper, but, realized afterwords, I didn't specify. At this point, i think it would make an interesting breakdown of types based on kinds of RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Most interested: LII IEI SLE EII
    Somewhat interested: ILE SEI ESE EIE IEE
    Not interested: LSI gammas LSE SLI
    Interesting breakdown. Other than SLE, these are close to my observations. I've played pen and paper once or twice, but, the experience was not enough to captivate me for longer than an evening.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like both the immersion and the increasing the strength of the characters. I LOVE job systems. But if the customization process gets too complex it turns me off. It's like too much. But like Final Fantasy Tactics was just enough or it could have even been a little bit more. I could do a game with like 35 or 40 job classes, maybe more. 100 would probably be overwhelming.

Anyway, my favorites are Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 9. I also enjoy Tales of Symphonia (although I don't really like the non-turn-based battle system), Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 8...
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    Stuff like kleptomania, gambling obsessions, peg legs, superiority complexes, amnesia, etc. and uses them for hilarious results.
    Damn right!
    Easy Day

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I like both the immersion and the increasing the strength of the characters. I LOVE job systems. But if the customization process gets too complex it turns me off. It's like too much. But like Final Fantasy Tactics was just enough or it could have even been a little bit more. I could do a game with like 35 or 40 job classes, maybe more. 100 would probably be overwhelming.

Anyway, my favorites are Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 9. I also enjoy Tales of Symphonia (although I don't really like the non-turn-based battle system), Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 8...
    There's an idea: type the FF jobs!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final fantasy tactics was the shit. One of my favorites of all time for sure.

I usually like all aspects of RPGs: the story, the characters, the gear, the strategy. It's all awesome. Graphics were never really that important to me though. They're nice, but I'd rather have more of the other aspects than better graphics.

I'm playing lost odyssey right now. I like the story and everything, but maybe the story is a little too dramatic at times. Jansen is my favorite character because he's the comic relief and Ming because she's such a hottie!!! (probably INTj too)
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time we play DnD I think I'm going to put max ranks in Craft, Knowledge, and Profession (Shenanigans) and see what happens.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Most RPGs, and especially the MMORPGs, bore me to tears. I don't like that everything is determined by the roll of dice, and that there is so much grind involved in improving your character's skillsets and "leveling up." The strategy aspects are about the only thing that I enjoy. Also, the settings are typically fantasy and medieval which are not my cup of tea, I'm more of a science-fiction type.

I like adventure games that involve puzzles which force you to rack your brain for the solution (like those old LucasArts games), and FPS games that combine those elements with sheer hand-eye coordination skill (Doom, Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic, Duke Nukem, Call of Duty, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight). They feel more direct and real to me, and almost like they involve more skill, rather than telling your player-character to attack an enemy and waiting for success/failure that's based on probability functions.

I also very much enjoy simulations, like flight simulators and combat flight simulators (European Air War, Falcon 4.0, X-wing vs. TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance). There was an old U-boat simulator from back in the day called Aces of the Deep that I thought was badass. Novalogic's M1 Abrams and Comanche simulators (Armored Fist and Comanche, respectively) were also really badass in their day. Strategy games (Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, Jane's Fleet Command, Caesar III) are very cool as well.

SimCity and The Sims have always been classic favorites, too. Also Grand Theft Auto.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 07-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    rather than telling your player-character to attack an enemy and waiting for success/failure that's based on probability functions.
    If you don't like playing a warrior, play a mage!
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    If you don't like playing a warrior, play a mage!
    ughhh this is exactly what i mean

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    I usually like all aspects of RPGs: the story, the characters, the gear, the strategy. It's all awesome. Graphics were never really that important to me though. They're nice, but I'd rather have more of the other aspects than better graphics.
    With graphics I feel like I don't care about them, but if I play games with really cutting-edge graphics for too long that sort of becomes my "default" setting, and so when I play games that have worse graphics I have to stop and sort of reset. But it doesn't take too long to get used to them. But it's like, if I had never played, say, Lost Odyssey, I would still think the graphics of FF7 were amazing, and I wouldn't really miss the better graphics.

I'm playing lost odyssey right now. I like the story and everything, but maybe the story is a little too dramatic at times. Jansen is my favorite character because he's the comic relief and Ming because she's such a hottie!!! (probably INTj too)
    I played the first few hours of that game, and I really enjoyed it. But then my little brother deleted my save file. . He barely ever lets me plays his xbox anyway.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.