Hybrid View

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enabler

What type would you consider an enabler to be? By enabler I mean a person who rallies people together and gets them to do something they would otherwise been unwilling, uninterested or perhaps unlikely to do. You could also consider them a leader of sorts I suppose, with less focus on specific team-building and more on a task-oriented or individual things.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Me, my type.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 07-22-2010 at 04:00 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not at all what I meant, but thanks for contributing.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Enabler by definition means a person who feeds bad tendencies of another; an enabler will cover a gambler's debts so that gives the gambler the freedom to do it again, instead of giving them hard love. Don't you mean, are you an organizer or a hostess or a person who rallies others together?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than fixating on a specific context of the word, try reading what I actually defined an enabler as and that the word "enabler" by construction is essentially anyone who helps or encourages someone to do something, not necessarily something negative.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Don't teachers do that naturally, as an example of a group who is likely to do that?
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stereotypically, yeah EIE. They're not called the mentor for nothing
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    What type would you consider an enabler to be? By enabler I mean a person who rallies people together and gets them to do something they would otherwise been unwilling, uninterested or perhaps unlikely to do. You could also consider them a leader of sorts I suppose, with less focus on specific team-building and more on a task-oriented or individual things.
    Ethical Extroverts mostly. EIE, ESE, IEE... It would depend on the Enabler's area of focus and the way they motivate and merge people together.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Social types mostly NF's E or I types and SF's E or I types, but then, I've known ISTp's, given the mood they are in who are also very capable and willing to do this...so I would doubt that it's type related.

Females of certain types are usually more willing then the male especially the ST's
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you ESFjs are.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gut instinct would be ESEs. I'm sure EIES would be too, but my socionic compass of what an EIE looks like is...I can't think of any metaphors. I have no clue what an EIE is really. Mostly I just think EJ (go go go) and Fe (emotivational). Maybe LSE but that's mostly them just yelling at you to do something and sardonically calling you 'sally' or asking if you 'need a hug' if you don't. IDK.

TIM
    NotINotNNotFNotj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESE, EIE, SEE, IEE, SLE, SEI all very stereotypically play this role in different ways, and other types play it too in their own ways.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've been going through a "Maybe I'm EXFj" phase. The above was how a bunch of my friends described me. We were talking about our horror movie night and who certain people would be in a horror movie. They unanimously decided that I would be "the enabler". The person in the movie who gets people to do crazy things. They also qualified me as the leader as well because I tend to be the one who manages to make things happen. From my perspective I feel like I only appear this way because I hate to miss an opportunity for something I think I'll enjoy.

My only genuine issue with this typing is that I really struggle to see myself as an EJ.

Any thoughts?
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Ethical Extroverts mostly. EIE, ESE, IEE... It would depend on the Enabler's area of focus and the way they motivate and merge people together.
    +1

I would always be sort of a leader for my friends. I would be the one they followed in a different manner than one would follow a EIE probably. Im not normally a leader in work related matters although I could be and sometimes have to be, but its not something I enjoy too much.

Social activities however are another matter, I am usually at the core of the group without trying or trying to lead, friends just flock around me and look to me to organise something or think of an idea they could follow. When I was younger, like 7 years or so ago every weekend I would organise something, a party, a trip or some activity and all of my friends would make sure to attend and they just assumed that it is natural for me to do that. They would algo get tea every time they would come to my house, which is totally unrelated to anything but I was happy to remember those days . I think right now it is similar, I am still the person who gets most of my friends in the same room for a few beers, few gallons of whisky and 5 hour talk about how cool we all are.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    Social activities however are another matter, I am usually at the core of the group without trying or trying to lead, friends just flock around me and look to me to organise something or think of an idea they could follow. When I was younger, like 7 years or so ago every weekend I would organise something, a party, a trip or some activity and all of my friends would make sure to attend and they just assumed that it is natural for me to do that. They would algo get tea every time they would come to my house, which is totally unrelated to anything but I was happy to remember those days . I think right now it is similar, I am still the person who gets most of my friends in the same room for a few beers, few gallons of whisky and 5 hour talk about how cool we all are.
    Yeah, this expresses where my friends get it. I seem to take up this role as well and seem to be a good social organizer. I've always done those things, even when I was in elementary school (I'm sure my mom will recall the many nights at her place, lol). Like you, I wouldn't say that it's a role I actively seek out, but that I fill the vacuum when I see it. It's funny you mention going out every weekend because earlier this summer I planned a party to plan parties for every weekend this summer. I noticed my friends had a lot of party ideas, but that we often lost track of them because they never had a solid date to plan for. So we assigned party ideas to each weekend and so far it's been a great success. Last weekend we had a duct tape party where everyone had to be wearing something made of duct tape. I had a yellow duct tape dress that looked like a duck

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio
    the issue is not that she's not an ILE, but that she's an ILI
    And from my perspective the issue is not that you think I'm not ILE, but that you think I'm ILI.

Honestly, given what I've just discussed in this thread, can you explain to me how that is coherent with an ILI typing? How many ILIs can you think of that could be described as "social organizers," "motivators," "enablers," "leaders"? If I had to pinpoint two things that people would probably first notice about me it would be extreme social extrovert and highly expressive. People even joke about it. When doing introductions at work earlier this summer my boss asked me to start by joking with people that "the shyest member" should start. Everyone laughed because the idea of that is entirely preposterous: I'm loud, talkative, always laughing and smiling and joking around with people, I'm constantly making new friends, I go around playing fun pranks on people in the office, etc. Even though I don't think Introvert or Te ego necessitates being anti-social or being entirely unexpressive, I also don't think the extremes to which I exhibit the characteristics I described above are to be found in an ILI.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

TIM
    NotINotNNotFNotj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, given what I've just discussed in this thread, can you explain to me how that is coherent with an ILI typing? How many ILIs can you think of that could be described as "social organizers," "motivators," "enablers," "leaders"?
    "Social organizers" is a stretch, but in much the spirit of each type having its own role to play in this respect think that ILIs can sometimes, and to some people, be motivational to others in a typically quiet observer ("someone is noticing what I'm doing") way.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I would ever be described as a quiet observer, lol.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-cinq

I wouldn't describe this as enabling - more like influential or persuasive. Certainly not dominant. You engage people into action, and you don't even need to exert energy in doing so. It's not purposeful and directed. Going by what I know about you in real life, I think it's more Ep energy as opposed to Ej energy. Perhaps, consider DCNH sub-types: ENTp-D.

If you venture into MBTI, consider Beren's interactive styles - Get things going. MBTI ENTP fall into this category. Let me know if you want more info on this.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....Mom?
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-cinq

.....Mom?
    LOL, yah, sure. Whatever you want to call me. Yes, I'm your mother.

I suggest, keeping within the socionics theme, if you think you are other than ENTp, think about intertype relations. If pinocchio or anyone else is correct, think about the people in your life and how you interrelate. It's more than just pinpointing 'type' or energy. It has to fit as a whole package.

I'm fairly confident you are ENTp, but, ENFp, ENFj or ENTj may be considered. You know yourself best, though.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what you're talking about with regards to memes and undercurrents (perhaps a fault of my memory, I don't know), however I clearly stated that I had been reconsidering my type rather than attributing this quality to ILE. You may want to take note that I purposely didn't refer to the enabler as myself in my OP because I didn't want to get biased responses from people saying that it was an ILE trait simply because it was associated with me.

TBH, the responses I got were rather expected. Interestingly enough, THA types me as EIE last summer and I scoffed. Honestly, I have a hard time seeing myself as a Beta or an Ni ego for that matter. I would be more likely to consider ESE.

Anyways, part of the overall reasoning for this reconsideration has been my interaction with this group of friends. I feel like my role as a social butterfly is particularly highlighted in this group. That said, it could be said that I take up this role for lack of visible leadership in our group when one of the other members (who is definitely my identical) is away. He and I sort of seem to share the job of keeping up the mood high, making everyone feel welcome and comfortable, etc. If there are parties to be planned, he and I seem to take up that torch because we mutually love crazy ideas and seeing them happen. Side note, he married a woman who I believe is SEI.

And that's all I really have to say at the moment.

Oh, also. Really don't think I'm my boyfriend's conflictor. That really makes no sense given the nature of our relationship.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp