Thread: personality traits

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default personality traits

I am studying "Strategic Management" for a summer course. The textbook mentions positive and negative personality traits in viewed in groups. It says that the trait of dominance is viewed negatively by society in general.

Is this true? I always looked at it as a good trait.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dominance is a negatively-charged name for something that could also be called Leadership. I wouldn't be surprised if that was listed as a positive trait in the textbook.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Dominance is a negatively-charged name for something that could also be called Leadership. I wouldn't be surprised if that was listed as a positive trait in the textbook.
    the textbook says that it is a negative trait.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's viewed negatively as a whole. The book is correct.

Reminds me of that Fraggle Rock song....about how you can only be the boss of yourself.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    the textbook says that it is a negative trait.
    No I meant I wouldn't be surprised if you found Leadership to be listed as a positive trait in the same book. Dominance is Bad Leadership and Leadership is Good Dominance.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Creepy-male

Lol basically they are saying if you act overbearing in a work situation, people will dislike you. My guess is they are focusing less on deep psychological motivations as they are on simple business manners.

Usually if you act overbearing when working with others they will resent you... however if you don't act overbearing but somehow have a position of authority... while essentially its the same thing... having dominance, people will respond to you better, because in their mind your power is derived from a source outside of personal assertion. The funny thing is certain people know how to plant themselves in positions of higher authority than they really deserve... they do it via office politics. Underneath the big charade essentially its just power plays, but it doesn't grate on people so much because of so many reasons... it gives people a system, so it seems fair... and they occasionally find themselves not wanting to destroy that system because they think its going to be the way they will climb up the ladder also. Now if your really a manipulative power-hungry asshole, you find ways to give people the illusion of this opportunity so they'll accept the system, but really in truth the cards are stacked against them and your really feeding your own interest. Most people don't respond negatively to that though, because its too well concealed psychologically for most people. What people do respond negatively to is when they feel your are trying to assert yourself in an overbearing way. In truth everyone wants success and power, and it can be obtained honestly or dishonestly. None of that has to do with the simple business manners though... that's all deep psycho-stuff. So really I feel they are just talking about how to behave around others so as to not put them off and function well in groups and organizations, rather than self-help advice. Two different disciplines really.
    Last edited by male; 07-20-2010 at 03:12 AM.