Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meditation

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to consider the quiet moments I have to myself every night around 2 AM to be meditation.
    Last edited by MatthewZ; 07-19-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    I like to consider the quiet moments I have to myself every night around 2 AM to be meditation.
    who are you meditating between? :wink: just kidding.
    Last edited by MatthewZ; 07-19-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Conspiracy-related cover-up

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meditate with the latest version of Neuro Programmer. I do it simply because it has the effect of enhancing my ability to think clearly as well as increasing my emotional stability, which is good for physical health as well. Overall I think it's something everyone would benefit from.

Oh, and nothing goes through my head when I meditate. I zone out.

Oh, and I do it about three times per week for twenty minutes at a time.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    What are your thoughts on meditation? What goes through your head when you meditate?
    I've tried mediation, not quite successfully, though. Even after getting an 8 minute mediation book, that helped me feel less ...guilty?...for not 'doing it right', I couldn't maintain it. (but then, I don't generally maintain anything else )

For about a year of my life, though, I had to use some meditative tapes to help me relax enough, as well as to sleep. It was a set of four tapes that were supposed to get the mind into alpha, beta, delta, and ? brainwaves. I'd have to dig up the tapes, but only one of them seemed to do anything for me. The first piece of music relaxed me, and the second piece of music knocked me out quickly...with decent dreams, usually, instead of the nightmares I'd been having on a regular basis. The music was like following a spiral down. I could never even pinpoint where it was that I'd fall asleep.

I've also done self-hypnosis, which can give similar though non-spiritual results as some meditation practices. But it's mostly been for relaxation purposes. (yes, I'm a very uptight person )

The past few years, though, I've done a shortcut kind of thing. I often have to distract one side of my mind, the critical side that won't shut the f*** up, so that the other side can work on solving an issue/problem. I'll use simple logic type puzzles/games that have simple and repetitive patterns so I don't have to actually think, but it keeps that side busy enough. For similar thing, some people use doodling, painting, making mandalas, or playing an instrument. (I'm actually just now trying instrument playing again, as that'd be more fun than the damned puzzles. But since it's so new, the 'simple patterns' aren't so simple yet, lol.)

The best method so far has actually been using a little biofeedback machine that gives feedback on breathing and pulse. If thinking negative thoughts, that raises the pulse-rate and eventually increases shallow breathing. But when quieting the mind, or focusing on neutral/uplifting thoughts, it decreases the pulse-rate and increases deeper breathing. Amazon.com: emWave Solution for Enhancing Meditation, Prayer and Self-Help, Blue: Health & Personal Care It's like a short-cut to the physical benefits of mediation, without the years of practicing.

why do you do it? Do you think it has anything to do with spirituality?
    For me, mostly it has to do with
    a) trying to quiet the mind from all it's jibber-jabbering, and
    b) trying to reach some level of relaxation instead of my constant uptightness.

For an ESFj female friend, and an ENFp male friend, they do it for spirituality. Her aimed at more Christian spirituality, him aimed at Wiccan spirituality. But I haven't really talked with them about it to find out what they get out of it. I look forward to reading what others say about the spiritual side.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I meditate with the latest version of Neuro Programmer. I do it simply because it has the effect of enhancing my ability to think clearly as well as increasing my emotional stability, which is good for physical health as well. Overall I think it's something everyone would benefit from.

^ same.

When I do three hours of yoga per week as well.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-male

What goes through your head when you meditate?
    First thing is all the tension falling away from my body. Then the sound of my thoughts becomes more and more distant and I become very aware of my body, almost like I'm experiencing it from the third person, but also like I'm very fully inhabiting every square inch of my body with my awareness (as opposed to inhabiting my head and my thoughts) and thus feel as if I'm like a shell around emptiness, or a fog (thick and dense, yet immaterial and formless). (There's a very general phenomenon for me here of being simultaneously experiencing two "angles" of awareness at the same time; I've had it happen on a mental rather than bodily angle too: I've looked at myself looking at myself, hearing both observers thinking "Ah, that's me--but he isn't me." In my current state, there's a sense of infinite recursion when I try to recall that state of being my "Observer")

Why do you do it?
    Relaxation. Experiencing things that I normally don't as part of self-maintenance. Self-understanding. Spirituality.

Do you think it has anything to do with spirituality?
    I can't access the emotion of merging with something greater without being relaxed enough to fully focus on my inner world. Very related, totally necessary.

I suppose more broadly it opens the channels you need in order to connect with a more abstract form of experience than the typically mental or intellectual interface we usually use.

Without meditation I would be neither able to access nor converse with my "conceptual space". To recap, I've covered three places where my awareness (I won't say "mind"--you'll see why) can inhabit: my mental space, my conceptual space, and my bodily space. I would call my "mind" the thing that happens when my awareness is inhabiting my mental space.

Also, my imagination is interesting. I think my conceptual space is pure imagination, but my mental space is also capable of imagining things. It's just totally different between the two, I suppose because my conceptual space does things more holistically, combining intuition, feeling and emotion, where my mental space does it more... mentally

Example: I can imagine I'm having a conversation in my head, but it's just my internal monologue. Mental space. Or, I can imagine I'm a daisy in a meadow, and the meadow, and everything growing on it, and the breeze; everything. How that makes me feel. What emotions there are there.

I keep distinguishing between feelings and emotions. A feeling is something you feel: my heart is sinking and I'm choking up. I'm very sad. An emotion is something different, what that feeling means: I feel so lonely. Emotions I typically have sequestered away in my unconscious mind (preconscious technically, since I can retrieve them through meditation and focus), feelings I tend totally to inhabit. That said, the borders can be a bit fuzzy, since I can physically feel like I'm a big smile (contentment).

Also, I haven't even begun to address multiple layers of awareness.

Also, props to the Enneagram. And to Jung (but this may be an sx/sp thing, since archetypes and the unconscious are second nature to me, they've been an intrinsic part of my experience since before some dead white guy gave me names and explanations for them ).

--

Out of curiosity, do I sound like a lunatic?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your thoughts on meditation? What goes through your head when you meditate? why do you do it? Do you think it has anything to do with spirituality?
    My thoughts on meditation: it´s very good and useful. Mindfulness of breath is already wonderful and capable of changing lots of stuff since breath and mind are so intertwined.

When I meditate, supposedly nothing comes through my head, just silence, space, infinite, impersonality, merging into that impersonal consciousness of which I come out as a person again.

Of course it has to do with so-called spirituality but it can be practised even for other uses such as more peace of mind, more mindfulness, etc, by people who do not like the term spirituality nor like anything spiritual.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    My thoughts on meditation: it´s very good and useful. Mindfulness of breath is already wonderful and capable of changing lots of stuff since breath and mind are so intertwined.

When I meditate, supposedly nothing comes through my head, just silence, space, infinite, impersonality, merging into that impersonal consciousness of which I come out as a person again.

Of course it has to do with so-called spirituality but it can be practised even for other uses such as more peace of mind, more mindfulness, etc, by people who do not like the term spirituality nor like anything spiritual.
    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post

^ that too.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried, but I can't. I am unable to identify what "meditative state" means, thus I am never sure if I've reached that stage, which defeats its purpose.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I've tried, but I can't. I am unable to identify what "meditative state" means, thus I am never sure if I've reached that stage, which defeats its purpose.
    You don't need to be aware that you've reached it. Just close your eyes and relax and you'll get there eventually. Just zone out and don't think.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For meditation there are two main things. First you accept whatever thought you're experiencing at the moment. You can't ever pick and choose between thoughts. Second, whenever you have a thought you detach from it and observe it from the standpoint of an outsider, instead of trying to channel it. Usually the thoughts become very basic, like the awareness of your breathing of sensations you feel. Focusing on breathing is what alot of people do. So you just try to dispel every thought you have, and you go into this weird state of neutrality. Sometimes you feel sort of high from it.
    In everyday life thinking goes down these tunnels where you get blind to information as you become absorbed in your experience. You become mindless that way. They've done some studies on meditation - apparently it thickens the outer layer of your brain which is responsible for self control / regulating emotions.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to meditate. Sometimes I still do, not any sort of traditional meditation but my own sort of "releasing" techniques. But they aren't as useful since I started writing seriously, because in order to write my best, I have to sort of consciously induce a mental state of complete and singular concentration, like I am directing a laser beam inside my mind, and just completely let it overtake me, physically and mentally. It's a lot like meditation in terms of being very focused and internally aware, but in the emotional spectrum it's the opposite: concentrating energy instead of releasing it, condensing my impulses as opposed to releasing them.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about any kind of trance state, is that you will "know" when you've reached it, you'll feel it, so try to let go of any feelings of anticipation or expectation; there's nothing you can "do" to induce a meditative state, but more a matter of choosing an internal wavelength and "riding" it, without asking questions.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I reach trance-state during long climbs while cycling (more than 7-8 km), perhaps that's my own kind of meditation.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I've reached a meditative state before, and my experiences mirror many of the previous posters' testimonies of having no thought at all (or at least none you can hold on to). Your mind is just drifting, as if it has become unplugged, and all that you experience is the random firing of neurons as you plateau in the stage between wakefulness and sleep. It's very relaxing if you can achieve it, and I wish I did it more often. I've not done so for quite a number of years now.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When I first learned how to do this I got really excited, and felt good- but then I got annoyed because after awhile it just wasn't useful anymore, and it just kept me stuck. At the time, when I did it tho it was awesome but then like, I got along better just doing things and running toward my fears. (which meditation helped me to do and realize some things, but once I did it it was just like I was 'clear' and kinda boring)

It's like, I'm always progressing in one way or another and I actually hate that. There's this huge part of me that wants everything to end, and just to be finished and 'there now forever.' You know what I mean? But it's like that doesn't happen. Even when I die, I think my essence and people like me, might go on forever. It's like things constantly expand and become 'more' no matter what, and like Esther Hicks says you just have to keep up with that. That's what its like in the big picture.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

When I meditated I used to get things "come up" and take me away from the mediation experience.. like rushes of energy. Also sometimes I'd like start shaking and shit. It was weird.

But like sometimes there'd be a kind of feeling of clarity - and i'd go into the real world with all this awareness - and i felt like i was too aware .. too in touch... not intoxicated enough. not inebriated to pure. NEED TO MAKE DIRTIER..

Also got the mass depersonification experience once.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like it. Meditation feels unnatural for me. If I want to "meditate" I can do other things: wash the dishes, go for a walk, pick berries in the woods, make a drawing, sit in a train to somewhere, look out of the window or just generally space out as I often do.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I don't like it. Meditation feels unnatural for me. If I want to "meditate" I can do other things: wash the dishes, go for a walk, pick berries in the woods, make a drawing, sit in a train to somewhere, look out of the window or just generally space out as I often do.
    +32
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post

sitting in a trian isn't doing something. looking out the window isn't doing something spacing out isn't doing something, i'd hardly even saying washing the dishes or going for a walk is doing something.

Do you ever exert yourself? maybe you are one of these people who are constantly meditating to need more pain in their lives to wake them up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't do those things 'cause I'm afraid I'll go insane or something. Not thinking and doing nothing, at the same time, while being awake, kinda frightens me.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't do those things 'cause I'm afraid I'll go insane or something. Not thinking and doing nothing, at the same time, while being awake, kinda frightens me.
    You still hvae your thoughts you don't supress them, you just don't hold on to them and attach value to them.

It's kind of like basking in the sun and letting it envelop you versus saying "i'm hot, the sun is hot."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    You still hvae your thoughts you don't supress them, you just don't hold on to them and attach value to them.

It's kind of like basking in the sun and letting it envelop you versus saying "i'm hot, the sun is hot."
    Oh yes, I do that, indeed. But it kinda just happens naturaly, when the mood is right and whatnot. I was more referring to meditation as deliberate, planned activity.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Oh yes, I do that, indeed. But it kinda just happens naturaly, when the mood is right and whatnot. I was more referring to meditation as deliberate, planned activity.
    just have a special place a sepcial ritual before hand and giive yourself time away from the routine of the day.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    sitting in a trian isn't doing something. looking out the window isn't doing something spacing out isn't doing something, i'd hardly even saying washing the dishes or going for a walk is doing something.

Do you ever exert yourself? maybe you are one of these people who are constantly meditating to need more pain in their lives to wake them up.
    I don't care if you call it doing or not. But it makes me feel good and relaxed and in the case of picking berries and doing the dishes I think that I get things done. And I love berries.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

After that I felt full & enriched. Layers upon layers of Musical notes would spontaneously compose themselves beautifully in my head. Things would come to me when I needed them. I was surrounded by warmth, and I became light and forgiving. I felt as if no darkness existed inside of me.
    This is interesting. I do this to get into a meditative state, I put on some music and visualize and create software processes in visio-diagrams, or I will read something and then try to visualize a understanding of what I'm reading and sometimes I will get into a meditative state of relaxation. Other times I will maybe get euphoric and energetic.

I don't really have a ritual, my ritual is whatever I'm working on usually.

If I want to clear my head I usually cook, clean, exercise or drive.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When you meditate it's interesting because suddenly your whole subjective side of you, your emotions and perceptions will just turn off and dissolve- and you'll just see things objectively. And it's like you know you can accomplish things in the external world and 'society' but then it's like you know that will always require you to give up a lot of yourself, so you sort of ebb and flow back to being very emotional and subjective.

And then in that moment, being lost in that vacuum or abscess, you realize that- life is how you create it and what you make of it and there can be no other solution than that, and that's kind of that peace between the objective/subjective struggle. Then that's why you understand those celebs that you look up do what you do and are so powerful cause they have just 'got that' so well.

Anyways what happens frequently is I will get very feeler-y and subjective and like totally into myself and then, I will get clear and pure and pristine....and it changes every 5 seconds sometimes. Sometimes it feels to much like a ride, and then I'm pushed to take any action.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most people have no clue how to meditate or what exactly meditation is supposed to do. If used right it CAN be rather helpful towards self-actualization. There are actually several different ways to meditate, which this may sound odd; the basis for all of them is to calm so that one can explore different facets of the subjective realms. It's not some magazine trick that pseudo gurus bloat off as some get rich quick scheme. Its much more basic than that. People meditate all the time naturally. They are like.... "ok, lets think here, what should I do"; that is meditation, just not as focused.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

yeah just go into zombie mode

Creepy-

What are your thoughts on meditation? What goes through your head when you meditate? why do you do it? Do you think it has anything to do with spirituality?
    i tried once to meditate (there was a guy at a radio talk-show giving a lesson about meditation: to close my mind, take some deep breath, to visualize something opening,etc) but nothing happened.

i prefer to use other ways to expand my views on the world and reach new states of mind.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Thank you, my conflictor forum member (you know who you are), for sending me a morning yoga excersize; it's been making me feel good every morning, thus far.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
    i tried once to meditate (there was a guy at a radio talk-show giving a lesson about meditation: to close my mind, take some deep breath, to visualize something opening,etc) but nothing happened.

i prefer to use other ways to expand my views on the world and reach new states of mind.
    WOW that's a lot of Ne ......
    Parasite, stop listening to your numnuts boyfriend; you are ENFp type is obvious here.

Your lack of Si, honey will make it hard for you to meditate sometimes; I think an ISTp, like your BF can help only when he does it with you. Or, you can make friends with me or any Si people will help.
    -

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    WOW that's a lot of Ne ......
    Parasite, stop listening to your numnuts boyfriend; you are ENFp type is obvious here.

Your lack of Si, honey will make it hard for you to meditate sometimes; I think an ISTp, like your BF can help only when he does it with you. Or, you can make friends with me or any Si people will help.
    lol... you just don't get it

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
    lol... you just don't get it
    I got it honey; he said you're SEI and you believed him. He's wrong.
    -

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Parasite,

I trust that when you become interested in socionics that you, as all ENFp's do, will want to gather and learn everything about it and once you know everything, you will know where you fit. Your curiosity is just not sparked yet.
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,
    Yes i meditate and i love to do it. i started it some years ago. i started it because of my exams. somebody tells me that it keeps memory good.i do it every day 10min.

thanks!!

TIM
    INTJ - intuitive sub
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've recently taken an interest in buddhism and did meditation. I focused on breathing and basically would concentrate on the fact that I was sitting cross legged on my bed and if I began to enter my mind I would keep focused on breathing and concentrate on the fact that I was sitting cross legged on my bed.

Some people mentioned having almost outer body experiences or deep transicent states, I'd go half and half. Meditation made me realise how difficult it is to remain fully present and in the moment especially since according to buddhist doctrine, everything is in flux. The past and future are really distracting from the present.

The mantra I had was inhaling hatred and exhaling love, inhaling doubt and exhaling confidence, inhaling worry and exhaling calm. So far meditation is a healing process and an act of self-mastery moreso than a spiritual journey. I have to be honest with myself, buddhism requires no intoxication and I don't want to renounce drinking, maybe I'm not ready.

as a side note, meditation unveiled emotions I didn't realize I had, mostly anger, if not completely. I'm not going to divulge but meditation did make me realise the root of my anger problems, which I'm thankful for, a blessing in disguise, than living in ignorance * please refrain from projecting. I grew up in a broken home, I'll leave it at that.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

never meditate ...but I think it would be welcome in my life due to stress. I read some stuff about mindfulness meditation that looked useful..probably the only thing I could ever try.
    Last edited by Amber; 04-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast