Thread: Type, change and the blending between types

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type, change and the blending between types.

I wasn't sure where to put this, it isn't really directly about me (I think I should spare you another 'What's my Type' thread at this point), but I'm just not really sure about socionics any more.

I'm studying away in my second semester of psych, and I know it's early days, but I ponder this a lot and I'm starting to believe not just from this, but from my own experiences as well, that type really just isn't that simple.

I feel as if I identify with both the kookiness of alpha and the seriousness of delta. If I were to fit best anywhere I would be an IEE, but it just doesn't click anyway. I have all the underlying values of a delta but I'm a total kook, I love to dress up and be silly and have pun wars and basically everything that comes with being that stereotypical alpha SF......but I'm most definitely intuitive. I sit down at night and I solve peoples' problems. I feel the undercurrent of emotions in groups of people but I can also read individuals and generally know how to get them to open up, talk about what's wounding them and change things so they see perspectives in order to move on and be excited about life again... and that's what I really love.

My introversion/extroversion is all over the shop, it depends on who I'm with and what's happening in my world. I would fit extrovert the best though, I suppose.

On top of this I feel I have changed dramatically in the last year from who I was. This has been remarked upon by almost everyone who has known me over both of these periods of my life and it's clear that I've mellowed out and actually become more intiutive and that I also appeared to have changed some of my values, or at least my ability to focus upon them.

I know all of this so far is me, me, me, but what I'm trying to do is draw upon my experiences. Given what I have experienced in the last few years and what I am learning now, I believe that socionics is flawed and that typology is simply too complicated to pidgeonhole. There are too many influencing factors to really define things so precisely into 16 types of people.

I understand that it's a guide above anything else, but I'm also aware that it has the potential to make people overlook others based on whether or not they fit the desired description. I think relationships must really be too personal of a thing to encapsulate in terms of statistical personality matches.

I'm not great at putting all of this into words right now, I'm just wondering if others have found themselves pondering similar things?
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Creepy-male

This all sounds very Fe, in terms purely of not being able to match your variable behaviours to any sort of framework "Because I change too much!" Dynamic types in general will tend to reject or have difficulty using static systems and frameworks, such as the one Socionics provides.

Despite my brief flirtation with your being IEE, I believe you really are SEI.

EDIT

Though your OP does seem reminiscent of Rick's description of dbmmama (ESE) in terms of how she would react against Socionics.
    Last edited by male; 07-16-2010 at 01:40 PM.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree politely and suggest a whole new method of typing, if any. I think you're missing the point a little. I didn't come in here to have people bark at me about what type I am, I came in here to discuss the flaws in socionics and possible suggestions to improve this, because there really isn't a vested interest in this as a personality typing in the real world at present (there are some exceptions of course). Do we not have some level of responsibility in changing this if we value it or simply being honest if we see no further path and admitting it as a false reification of our own ideals?

Please, discuss.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    NotINotNNotFNotj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    Do we not have some level of responsibility in changing this if we value it or simply being honest if we see no further path and admitting it as a false reification of our own ideals?

Please, discuss.
    Only if you think that as a working model it is so categorical that it is essentially useless.

Creepy-male

Maybe if you put the above post in simpler English rather than unholy clumps of terror, lol.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree politely and suggest a whole new method of typing, if any. I think you're missing the point a little. I didn't come in here to have people bark at me about what type I am, I came in here to discuss the flaws in socionics and possible suggestions to improve this, because there really isn't a vested interest in this as a personality typing in the real world at present (there are some exceptions of course). Do we not have some level of responsibility in changing this if we value it or simply being honest if we see no further path and admitting it as a false reification of our own ideals?

Please, discuss.
    that's fine, but I suggest you understand this system a little better before you go out and start a new one..if you cant find what quadra you are in by now, it shows some fundamental weakness in your understanding. its better to criticize when you have full knowledge of what it is you are criticizing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I for one appreciate you posting this. And I think I understand where you're coming from. Although I feel I fit best as an IEI, I've often thought that I'm perhaps too rational to be an irrational. Or too Si to be Si-role. What it boils down to for me is that everyone's different but that they can still be typed in the socionic method and that it holds together despite these variations. Have you taken a look at the DCNH subtypes at all? That stuff is very interesting and could explain some of the differences you're seeing in yourself as well as other people. Also, it might be just sheer intelligence. Or enneagram type. Bottom line is that there's a HUGE amount of leeway within any given type. Everyone knows a few people who fit the descriptions to a T and that's pretty cool. But we also know people who are much much harder to pinpoint. Doesn't make the theory untrue, it just proves that (thank God) we aren't all cookie-cutter 16 types. Maybe you just need to lower your expectations of socionics a bit and realize that it's only one aspect of a person, their information processing, and that there's so much more to a person than that. Also, if you're young you could wait a few years and re-evaluate. I think that if I would have typed myself as a teen, I might have thought I was INFj. I wasn't terribly rebellious (only once or twice) and I was brought up to be a "nice" girl in a religious household (and my mom is IEE). So, I mean, there are so many factors to how you see yourself. The older you get the more obvious it becomes, imo.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I know some people who appear to be blends of types. It's usually explained with subtypes (but not always). I know an SEI-Si who is very close to being SLI. Even the descriptions both describe him well. I could see him as either alpha or delta. I also know an SLE-Ti who seems close to LSI. I know a woman who is either INFj or ISTj. That seems really strange but her Fi and Ti are both strong. I can't decipher Se or Ne! Plus she's married (I think fairly happily) to SLE! So it's like... how could she be INFj? And yet usually I'm a hawk for Se so you'd think I'd pick up on it if she were ISTj. lol Anyway... some people are just really hard to type.

Oh and there's no rule that says that deltas can't be kooky! You sound IEE>SEI to me. (not that you asked!!)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know if this will help you, Khola, but your post makes me think of Ti polr, so IEE could be right.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are 16 types but there are almost 7 billion people in the world. So of course there's going to be a huge variation between people of the same type because everyone is unique. Even if you apply DCNH subtypes this holds. So don't worry if a type description doesn't fit you absolutely perfectly, its about the best overall fit. You should find that some fit you much closer than others.

Of course for me that's easier said than done. As an LII, I'm inclined to want everything to neatly fit into the model, including some type description.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ananke View Post
    I am so skilled at grouping things that I easily could have grouped potatoes into 16 groups, too, but I doubt potatoes have personalities.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Khola, I really relate to how you feel about this, to the point that I've mostly given up on socionics for a few months now, or so I say. The truth is that it still drives me crazy and I can't just let go of trying to figure it all out. It seems like a losing battle to me though, because the more I try to understand, the more frustrated I become at all the extraneous variables that seem to come into play. I want it to be clear-cut and want it all to fit, and it drives me crazy that I seem unable to make it do that.

So anyway, I guess this post isn't very helpful aside from just sharing how much I relate to your dilemma. I still don't know my type and no matter how much I try to learn the system, I can't seem to get it to just fit. There are too many contradictions to explain when it comes to describing "who I am". It's just not that simple.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, discuss.
    Maybe you should have tried "general discussion" instead of "What's my type", for subforums.

I'll address your OP soon.