Thread: "BP finally stops oil spewing from Gulf gusher"

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "BP finally stops oil spewing from Gulf gusher"

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares.

Creepy-male

We should build infrastructure deep into the earths mantle.... powered by geothermal energy. A part of this infrastructure could be precisely controlling the flow of petroleum. You could start by using satellites to probe the earth for petroleum sources, identifying certain prospective sites and then designing an energy station to provide geothermal energy and petroleum. The station would have to be designing for a worst case scenario of total structural failure, at which point automatic contingency systems would seal the station and shut it down and transmit a distress signal, which a trained team could pick up and investigate and salvage/repair the station.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

180 million gallons leaked over 85 days.. And we thought Exon Valdez was a disaster? Exon Valdez was about 11 million gallons.
    As of right now the cleanup efforts for this gulf spill have recovered about 15k barrels of oil. The thing was leaking about 50k barrels a day. So yeah, not even 1/3rd a days worth of oil cleaned up yet..
    Last edited by crazedrat; 07-16-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    We should build infrastructure deep into the earths mantle.... powered by geothermal energy. A part of this infrastructure could be precisely controlling the flow of petroleum. You could start by using satellites to probe the earth for petroleum sources, identifying certain prospective sites and then designing an energy station to provide geothermal energy and petroleum. The station would have to be designing for a worst case scenario of total structural failure, at which point automatic contingency systems would seal the station and shut it down and transmit a distress signal, which a trained team could pick up and investigate and salvage/repair the station.
    I agree... starting in 2500.

Man do you have any idea how hot the mantle is? Most of it is magma.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat360 View Post
    180 million gallons leaked over 85 days.. And we thought Exon Valdez was a disaster? Exon Valdez was about 11 million gallons.
    As of right now the cleanup efforts for this gulf spill have recovered about 15k barrels of oil. The thing was leaking about 50k barrels a day. So yeah, not even 1/3rd a days worth of oil cleaned up yet..
    Imagine how much oil they need to burn just to clean all that oil up.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's obviously a disaster, and I wish it hadn't happened to the physical world, but it seems to me this will have a significant impact on the willingness of previous foot-draggers to sign on the environmental measures bills in the political world.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who aren't directly affect by this, but who are talking about it and are concerned about it, are idiots.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killing all the fish in the gulf of mexico & destroying the beaches is a bad thing any way you slice it.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat360 View Post
    Killing all the fish in the gulf of mexico & destroying the beaches is a bad thing any way you slice it.
    But the people who care don't care for economic reasons. Almost all of them care for ridiculous "Save-The-Trees" reasons, in which case you wonder why they aren't bitching instead about the MILLIONS OF STARVING PEOPLE IN AFRICA.

FUCKING STUPID STUPID STUPID ARGGGHHH.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think crazedrat was alluding to more than just economic repercussions. Saving the trees/beaches/whales/waters is not a bad idea.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really care whether the economy effects me more or not.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    I think crazedrat was alluding to more than just economic repercussions. Saving the trees/beaches/whales/waters is not a bad idea.
    Yes, but my point was that you would think these same people would be more concerned with the much more horrible, continuous problems the world faces, such as the millions of children in Africa who starve to death every year.

But no, those starving children aren't on the news every day, so they cease to exist to the hordes of half wits who only react to whatever happens to be in vogue at the moment.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Yes, but my point was that you would think these same people would be more concerned with the much more horrible, continuous problems the world faces, such as the millions of children in Africa who starve to death every year.

But no, those starving children aren't on the news every day, so they cease to exist to the hordes of half wits who only react to whatever happens to be in vogue at the moment.
    True, though if that was you're point, that's an entirely different kettle of fish from saying that anyone who is concerned or talking about this at all without being directly affected (for now) is an idiot.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    How do you stop said infrastructure from melting?
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    True, though if that was you're point, that's an entirely different kettle of fish from saying that anyone who is concerned or talking about this at all without being directly affected (for now) is an idiot.
    They are idiots. Hardly anyone is going to be consequentially affected by this.
    Last edited by discojoe; 07-17-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. If anything, the increase in the price of fish should mean African fisherman do a little better this year. Unless the US government subsidizes the fishing industry or whatever.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    How do you stop said infrastructure from melting?
    Good question lol.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    I agree... starting in 2500.

Man do you have any idea how hot the mantle is? Most of it is magma.
    Yea lol, imagine how cool it would be if you could build something that could function in such an extreme environment.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are all sorts of problems going on with this that I may get back to later on.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Creepy-bg

I changed the oil in my friends car yesterday then threw the old stuff into her neighbors pool so that I could feel involved.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

But the people who care don't care for economic reasons. Almost all of them care for ridiculous "Save-The-Trees" reasons, in which case you wonder why they aren't bitching instead about the MILLIONS OF STARVING PEOPLE IN AFRICA.

FUCKING STUPID STUPID STUPID ARGGGHHH.
    does this mean you value goodwill and compassion?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sigh. Yeah, that's technically true, but what's better: no one caring about anyone else's suffering, or everyone caring about other people's suffering, but maybe not having the "correct" care/suffering ratio? I'd rather people care about other people suffering, even if they don't care the most about the worst suffering, than nobody care at all. Plus, the exercise of pity and compassion are good for us; they help us develop our moral character. St. Augustine says that's one of the reasons we go to plays. Or, to put it cynically, when you help others, you can't help helping yourself.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it was 90 days too late.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together