TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics types and stress resistance by Gulenko

by Gulenko

According to the level of resistance (opposition) to stressogenic caseloads among types in socion we can mark four categories of resistance to stress. These groups are formed by means of Jung's pair of features as "rationality - irrationality" and a non Jungian pair "right winged - left winged"

A high resistance to disadvantageous external influences is assisted by sociotype's reliance, first - irrational, and secondly - left directed types.

Irrationality provides human nervous system with flexibility and therefore these types can easily escape from stressful conditions, switching their minds to other thoughts or activities. As for the "Left" types, this class of social progress naturally forecasts sudden changes of its own temper and directions and it also implies a greater willingness of these types of stressful factors.
    Stress resistance groups will be presented in the following chart:

.............................RATIONALS ....................IRRATIONALS
    LEFT WINGED.........stopped by stress..........stress resistant
    RIGHT WINGED.......unresistant to stress......trained by stress

1. Left winged irrationals (SLE, SLI, IEI, IEE) are the most stress-resistant types. Their advantage is that they are good at dealing with things under extreme conditions. They are mobilized by unexpected changes in situations, it gives them a new drive. Ability to work effectively during stress, adds to the characteristics of their temperament a new trait - elasticity.

2. Right winged irrationals (SEE, SEI, ILI, ILE) belong to the group of types that are trained by stress. It is characterized by gradual adaptation to stressful conditions. Each of the four types serves at their "roasting" school and each time they overcome stress their degree of stress resistance increase. An additional component to the temperament of these types - ductility.

3. Left winged rationals (ESE, ESI, LII, LIE) are among group of types that are stopped by stress. These types are able to resist stress for quite some time but with each new wave of stress their strength runs out and they change their tactics of resistance to withdrawal. Experiencing consequences inside of them they seem like growing some sort of cascade . An additional element to their rational temperament - crystallinity.

4. Right winged rationals (LSE, LSI, EII, EIE) creates a stress unresistant group of types. They bear stress worse than the other types, especially the stress which is unexpected in nature. Despite their external stoicism, they always have poorly protected and vulnerable point and also - a need to have a solid foundation under their feet and if this foundation is moved they lose any resistance to stress they may had. Stress threatens these types with challenging doubts and in the end leads them into inner breaking ("giants with feet of clay"). To their rational temperaments unavoidable element is monolithicism.
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gulenko sucks. Where is the data?
    More reason to hang out only with duals.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes a lot of sense. Gulenko's observation that Result is stress resistant is one that I support and have mentioned in several places on the forum before seeing this article.

ps. for those not instantly noticing: left-winged = Result, right-winged = Process. Left and right refer to left and right in the sequence N T S F N, and the "wing" is the type's Creative function.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fascinating. I read this article and looked back through my memories of people whom I've had an opportunity to observe under stress, and it matches up pretty well. Certainly the "left-winged rationals" description resonates with me personally. I also know an IEI who seems almost immune to stress, and an LSI who is one of the most stressed-out people I know. It seems to correlate well with most people I can think of at the moment -- the ones whose typings I'm sure of, anyway.

This seems like it would be helpful for distinguishing between Mirror types, especially for Beta and Deltas.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah well rationals are more resistant to change obviously and the stress resistance is part of what makes it so because of the fluidity of the nervous system.

Here are my real questions about all this.
    It's barely helpful to a irrational like me, just more garbage symantics that lead no where!

Thats what makes a result type right? Can you explain that? Process types must go through a process while result types just go for a result right and pick up and create processes to reach it?
    This is what I have trouble with honestly, adapting processes to get to what I want, is that what my te polr is related to? Poor process logic?

Why doesn't gulenko add explantions of the other dichotomies in his overall article too, tying this together? Is that what an LSI does vs an LII?
    It seems to me gulenko doesnt give a shit, has abandoned socionics as viable and is just pimping it for his academia's production system writing bullshit articles that rephrase past crap and makes his whole existence and ours look sad.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few things that I find dubious about this view...

If you take a typical airport lobby situation with tons of delayed flights and angry travelers, which type do you think would perform better at managing the place in this situation: ESTj or INFp. This theory of stress-resistance might give you the idea that the INFp would be naturally gifted at dealing with such a stress-heavy situation. I think, however, that the ESTj would be miles ahead in performance at solving the problems of the situation and the INFp would quickly feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities leveled at them.

The theory seems to have bias towards stress-avoidance. ESTjs deal with stress by eliminating the problems that cause it, not avoiding the stress altogether. In a situation where a person is expected or required to deal with stress rather than to side-step it, a J type will be more capable of dealing with stress than a P type, imo.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Downfall is at all an accurate representation of what ****** was like through the course of his tyranny (they did a lot of research, so there is a basis for believing this), there may have to be some concessions made to the claim that he was stress resistant.

Also, Bill Gates is ENTj, so Gulenko would call him moderately stress resistant.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I relate to both the stopped by stress and trained by stress descriptions.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, this actually fits pretty well with what types I think everyone in my family is. Especially my EII sister.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post

If you take a typical airport lobby situation with tons of delayed flights and angry travelers, which type do you think would perform better at managing the place in this situation: ESTj or INFp. This theory of stress-resistance might give you the idea that the INFp would be naturally gifted at dealing with such a stress-heavy situation. I think, however, that the ESTj would be miles ahead in performance at solving the problems of the situation and the INFp would quickly feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities leveled at them.
    Actually, I was in a similar situation, and it was pretty bad, and I was, if I do say so myself, really good at keeping a level head and not freaking out until the appropriate time. I spoke with all the appropriate people and made calls and everything. The only time I freaked out was when I was trying to find the car that my parents sent for me and I couldn't find it (because I had no idea that the car was at the departures area, and of course, I was in the arrivals area, because I hadn't departed, which was the WHOLE POINT but I digress), and really all that resulted in was someone stopping and helping me and telling me where to go.

The theory seems to have bias towards stress-avoidance. ESTjs deal with stress by eliminating the problems that cause it, not avoiding the stress altogether. In a situation where a person is expected or required to deal with stress rather than to side-step it, a J type will be more capable of dealing with stress than a P type, imo.
    I agree that there is a slight bias, but I want to note that the ability to remove the stressor is not really type-related. The type of stressor one is good at removing is. Also, at least for me, I can work through stress. I know my stepmom (who is 90% sure ESTj, and if not possibly ENTj) is virtually stopped by stress. The more stressed she is, the less useful she is.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bah. Bullshit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I do, though, grow stronger by the stressful situations I encounter. I find lessons out of them and learn how to deal with them and it becomes wisdom that I own. I grow from an incompetent and a whiner to a more capable and responsible person with a better perspective and with new techniques: new knowledge.
    i relate to this. i'm def not maximum stress resister but neither is it particularly a weak area either.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

When I'm really stressed I tend to go into a zen state and do stuff very quickly effectively but then once things get calm, my nerves hit me and I'll sort of explode and need to blow off steam.

If I'm unstressed, I perform pretty poorly, I basically have no drive and spend most of my time preparing.

TIM
    NotINotNNotFNotj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This, like most of Gulenko's output, is completely stupid, and I'm really glad that there at least some people out there who also recognize that it's completely stupid.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Gulenko a lot; the important thing about dealing with stressful conditions is resolve and time managment - try not to procrastinate if you have a lot to do; more importantly, be reasonable and don't stress yourself out unnecessarily - try to relax so that you are better prepared for unexpected occurrences...hope this helps!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really like stress, but I think I can deal with it, I don't get excessively "stressed by stress". I don't learn anything either, though - I don't need stress to accomplish tasks, actually my performance usually becomes slightly worse when I'm stressed.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    I agree with Gulenko a lot; the important thing about dealing with stressful conditions is resolve and time managment - try not to procrastinate if you have a lot to do; more importantly, be reasonable and don't stress yourself out unnecessarily - try to relax so that you are better prepared for unexpected occurrences...hope this helps!
    interesting and concise...how does Fi/Ti & Fe/Te play a role?

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    interesting and concise...how does Fi/Ti & Fe/Te play a role?
    well I guess you could call it a matter of judgment; if you need to be more understanding you would employ /, if you do not know enough, you would express /; people are generally more receptive to the extrovert function, so store what ever else you need to save in the introvert function

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifragile#Introduction "The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better" reminds me of stress resistance in socionics.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Antifragile is a good example of a book that could have been said in 1/16 of a page but ends of being dragged out over hundreds.

Anyway, yeah..being antifragile in regards to stress is a huge benefit and consistent with what Gulenko says about SLEs

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, it seems that I'm stress trained and potty trained. Is my sensing OK as whole?
    By the time graduate from life I'm supposed to be strong as a stress ball. Very squishy - just like true alpha quadrant member.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post

This situation is based strongly on Te and extraversion, which does not address INFp's strong functions. You'd have to choose less biased situations or invent multiple scenarios addressing both TeSi and NiFe with equal stress levels and have both ESTj and INFp go through them. If the ESTj faces stressful test that appeals to INFp's strong functions, would they freak out and melt down more than the INFp in the reverse scenario?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually it doesn't. it's a situation where you need to emphathize and cooperate with people and anticipate their needs, something INFps have a lot of relevant assets for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely fit in the left-winged rationals category.

Also, this seems like a good way to differentiate between quasi-identity types for newer members; e.g., ILI and LII, LIE and ILE.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I function pretty well in stressful situations. It motivates me to do things. I don't like stress but it is a great for getting me started. I get so much more done in half the time it would usually take me. I hate deadlines but without them I might not have accomplished many of the goals (mine or others) that I have.

I am more aimless and still when all is calm and peaceful. Without some external pressure I will assume things will work themselves out in their own time with or without me. I can be wishy washy and slow to make important or final decisions until I am given an external push. I can feel at peace, for the most part, but on the inside I seem always ready for the unexpected. Maybe that is why I do not not seem to like surprises as much as most of my friends.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. Left winged irrationals (SLE, SLI, IEI, IEE) are the most stress-resistant types. Their advantage is that they are good at dealing with things under extreme conditions. They are mobilized by unexpected changes in situations, it gives them a new drive. Ability to work effectively during stress, adds to the characteristics of their temperament a new trait - elasticity.
    yes, because this description is particularly referring to unexpected changes in the situation (these types are all Irrationals), i think this makes a lot of sense.

in my own experience with unexpected stressful situations, i think i handle them pretty well. i've had unexpected, crazy situations thrown at me where i immediately felt myself becoming eerily calm, while other people proceeded to freak out. while in this ultra-calm mode, i find myself trying to reassure others, quickly thinking through what needs to be done, and trying to get the ball rolling to resolve it. this is especially the case if nobody else is taking the initiative to do so.

however when things aren't unexpected, i can get super stressed in high-pressure situations with a deadline, especially when i feel like the end result needs to be "perfect". i can kind of freeze up because i feel overwhelmed. but when the clock is ticking ever closer to the deadline, i can really gear up and get the task done just in time (or maybe a little late...) and really, a set time limit helps me to get things done that i might not have otherwise.

also, there have been many times in which i was feeling stressed and nobody realized it - they thought my outside demeanor to be perfectly calm, and were surprised when i told them i felt otherwise.

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarinana View Post
    Left winged rationals (ESE, ESI, LII, LIE) are among group of types that are stopped by stress. These types are able to resist stress for quite some time but with each new wave of stress their strength runs out and they change their tactics of resistance to withdrawal. Experiencing consequences inside of them they seem like growing some sort of cascade.
    True in my case. I'm fine with a little bit of stress, but too much keeps me from thinking clearly. Eventually, I'll just cut out the activity that is causing me stress when it hits an intolerable level for me: when it impedes me from living a calm, measured life with sufficient personal freedoms.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hacim View Post
    True in my case. I'm fine with a little bit of stress, but too much keeps me from thinking clearly. Eventually, I'll just cut out the activity that is causing me stress when it hits an intolerable level for me: when it impedes me from living a calm, measured life with sufficient personal freedoms.
    More or less the same for me, as I said before, stress is something I consider I should "handle" but it doesn't help my performance, unless it's occasional.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit