Thread: USA

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default USA

Freedom and capitalism or social and corporate fascism...

The great superpower and empire of the late 20th century.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

„Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiroshima & Nagasaki.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Hiroshima & Nagasaki.
    I recently read a book about Kamikaze pilots at the end of WWII. It's called Kamikadze – Boski Wiatr (polish title) by the author Bohdan Arct. I would highly recommend it.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats to say? extremely conservative oligarchy. Corporate elite in control
    asd

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol @ country's debt not meaning shit in the long run.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decide to build 3 or 4 lots on my property, I can, but it's a pain in the butt, and zoning tries to get in the way. Gotta submit an application, waste time with a review process, and hear the town solicitor whine about wetlands and grassy knolls. The govt. is like de facto co-owner of private property, and zoning restrictions are ways to maintain conformity and uniformity with town planning and restrict the developer's options. Less options, less freedom. And the ownership basically amounts to something less than full control for the owner. The regulations are stupid, and with the option that developers either designate a percentage of their subdivisions for affordable housing or cough up an outrageous fee, it's even more absurd and mediocre. Government ought to stay out of making economic decisions. The economy is better off imo.
    Last edited by Spiro; 07-28-2010 at 05:02 AM.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiro View Post
    I decide to build 3 or 4 lots on my property, I can, but it's a pain in the butt, and zoning tries to get in the way. Gotta submit an application, waste time with a review process, and hear the town solicitor whine about wetlands and grassy knolls. The govt. is like de facto co-owner of private property, and zoning restrictions are ways to maintain conformity and uniformity with town planning and restrict the developer's options. Less options, less freedom. And the ownership basically amounts to something less than full control for the owner. The regulations are stupid, and with the option that developers either designate a percentage of their subdivisions for affordable housing or cough up an outrageous fee, it's even more absurd and mediocre. Government ought to stay out of making economic decisions. The economy is better off imo.
    I know.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USA: Awesome country (for those who have not been here), but our modern culture is what sucks.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    whats to say? extremely conservative oligarchy. Corporate elite in control
    lol so uninformed.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    lol so uninformed.
    Well inform him...informationalize him; inject some

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    USA: Awesome country (for those who have not been here), but our modern culture is what sucks.
    What culture?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    The great superpower and empire of the late 20th century.
    And a loose federation of economically isolated states of the 21th century with a defunct and bankrupt central government and stranded soldiers abroad who are reduced to extorting food from already impoverished local residents.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And a loose federation of economically isolated states of the 21th century with a defunct and bankrupt central government and stranded soldiers abroad who are reduced to extorting food from already impoverished local residents.
    Rick, it pains me to admit that I am heading in that direction. I missed a lot of sleep last night and this is one of the reasons for it. I posted another thread on this sub-forum where I wanted to get the experiences from people who lived through the collapse of the Soviet Union in order to get an idea of what kind of crisis Americans (and probably all westerners) might face.

As far as what you said, The USA is not there right now, but I think it is going in that direction and will get there soon enough; as of now this can happen by an economic collapse or by a decision to invade another county, or both.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius