Thread: Enneagram Chords!

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram Chords!

Tell me your enneagram tritype and I will tell you what chord your enneagram is.

My ennegram is a really wonky chord. It's probably the most dissonant chord you can make out of three notes. It's like a IV diminished but with a major seventh.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1-6-2

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hilarious. How do you figure your tri-type?

I know I'm a 4 with maybe some 9? What's yours, sc?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 4-3-7.

Abbie, you're a IIm7, no third. On a C major scale, that would be D, A, and C. If I were really on my game, I could tell you what inversion that is.

rb, it's when you separate the enneagram into the three groupings (I forget what they're called), of 2-3-4, 5-6-7, and 8-9-1, and then you pick which one you identify with most out of each grouping. You'd be a 4-5-9, which would be a V7 with no third. On a C major scale, that would be G, D, and F.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how can you be a 4-3-7 if 4 and 3 are part of the same grouping?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    how can you be a 4-3-7 if 4 and 3 are part of the same grouping?
    Oh, good point. I'm actually 4-7-9. I forgot the groupings.

So yay, I'm not the wonkiest chord! I'm just a regular old VII diminished. B, D, and F.

(btw, I'm counting 9 as 2. I don't think it makes sense any other way, music wise).

Creepy-male

9-4-7

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same as me! VII diminished. B-D-F.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not entirely sure. I posed this question on an enneagram message board and the general consensus there seemed to be 5w6 head, 2w1 heart, and 9w1 gut.

There's no doubt about the head fix, that's my core type. 9w1 I think is a good call for my gut fix but there is a chance I'm 1w9. 8 is completely out of the question. I identify alot with type 9. I tend to score fairly high on 9 on tests but usually not as high as 5. I seek harmony and try to avoid conflict if possible. I like things to be calm and stable and find that people often get worked up about things that just don't really matter much in the whole scheme of things. I can have a lazy streak but I think the 1 keeps that at bay. I also tend to score fairly high on type 1. I'm very reliable and keep my committments if at all possible. I don't like letting people down (this could be some type 2 or 6 speaking). I have a very strong sense of justice and how things should be. I don't lord my perfectionism over others, I tend to let them be but I'm very much a self-perfectionist.

Its the heart fix I'm least sure about. For one thing, I usually score low on type 2 in enneagram tests, with only type 8 being lower most of the time. I don't identify much with 2 descriptions. I suppose the board got the impression of 2 from the vibe I give off in my videos and that I'm kind and considerate and all that stuff. I like helping others but my whole life doesn't revolve around it. 2's tend to be so immersed in helping others that they deny their own needs. I'm not like that.

Type 3w4 is possible for heart fix. I'm constantly comparing myself to other people in terms of success. But usually this is success in terms of intellectual matters and career type stuff, which I guess can also be 5w6 combined with social subtype. However, I don't like having to self-promote myself. I tend to just quietly do my work and hope others will take notice. I also don't like having to be a chameleon in every situation. I can certainly adapt my image depending on who I'm with but I'd much rather not operate that way.

Type 4 I think is less likely but I can't rule it out entirely. I often get mild episodes of depression and existential anxiety. I ask myself alot, what the real purpose of my life is suppose to be and all that good stuff. I also highly value creativity, originality, and authenticity. However, I am very different from fours in a couple of key ways. Fours seem to embrace emotional intensity. They want to feel the deep highs and lows and don't shy away from it. I on the other hand, fear this level of emotional intensity. I want things more smooth and calm. Second, I value uniqueness but on the other hand, I'm uncomfortable if I'm *too* different. For example, I don't want to just blindly follow fashion trends but I don't want to stand out so much that people are constantly staring at me everywhere I go.

The thing is, I really don't want to be 2-5-9 if that's what people think I am. I know there's not supposed to be a best or worst trifix but I look at that trifix and think to myself, I'm just a boring, generic nice person with no aggression or edge. I'd like to have an aggressive type in there to balance things out more.

Thoughts anyone?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7-4-9 (7w6-4w5-9w1). 7-5-6 if I can help it, but I can't.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jxrtes, yet another VII diminished.

We have so many VII diminished's here! The 16types is a very dissonant forum.

I get the whole "if I can help it" trifix. If I could help it, my trifix would be like 4-7-8 or even 4-7-1 over 4-7-9. I might even really be 4-5-9 (like rb!), but I always score higher on 7 than 5, and I just... don't really like 5. I used to want to be a 5 wing over a 3 wing, but that's back when I was into MBTI and wanted to be a logical type rather than an ethical type. Ti-HA has satisfied my ego needs quite well, though, so I guess I'll stick with my current socio-enneagram cocktail.

@warrior librarian, I'm not sure about your trifix, but the enneagram chord of 2-5-9 is 5(5), or a power chord on the dominant. So in C major, that would be G5. Congrats! Your chord is very important to all of rock music, and not in the slightest dissonant.

Oooh, I wonder if there's a way I can fit in wings in a logical musical way. I mean, it would make sense to just increase the number of notes to six, but it would be more interesting if I tied the wings to the original number somehow. Like if the wing had to have that relationship in the chord to the note they're the wing of? I know that doesn't make sense 'cause I described it badly. But here's the thought.

Say I'm 4w3, 7w6, 9w1. So then I would have a fourth, the third of the fourth (which is a sixth), a seventh, the sixth of the seventh (which is a flatted sixth), the ninth, and the root of the ninth (which is, obviously, the ninth).

So then I would have, in the key of C major: B, D, F, A, and Ab. I can't really think of a chord name for that random jumble of notes. Maybe like, B half-diminished (7 flat 5), add 13, or something ridiculous like that. So maybe adding the wings is too complicated. Maybe I'll make the wings optional substitutions, or maybe I'll just add the primary wing to the chord (but then I have to think of a silly rule constraining how I have to use it, like it has to have some specific relationship to the number it's the wing of).

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Silverchris, how are you deriving the chords from the trifixes? A musically challenged person wants to know.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music Theory Version:
    I'm using the numbers in the trifix to determine the intervals from the root in the major (dorian) scale. So a 2 = a second, a 4 = a fourth, a 7 = a seventh.

Simpler Version:
    In other words, if I were on a piano keyboard, I would start on a C and (starting with the C) count three white keys for a third, four white keys for a fourth, five white keys for a fifth, etc.

Once I have the intervals, I just give them the most logical chord name I can. So if I have a 2, a 4, and a 7, no matter what order they're in, I call them a VII diminished, because the VII diminished chord is made up of a seventh, a second, and a fourth.

I don't know that I can explain it any further than that without getting into a music theory lesson. Incidentally, I find music theory VERY typical of a Ti-style system. Taking "reality" (that is, the undifferentiated sound, the pure Se/Si sense experience) and giving it a system of categorizations and terminology that make it easier to describe and apply. Naming things clearly enables you to build systems of greater complexity than you can do purely intuitively. Ni + Ti is, imo, a great combo.

Explaining this has made me realize that I could do a major and a minor version of these! And I could call it the healthy and unhealthy version.

So:

silverchris: Healthy/Happy VII diminished (wow, that bodes badly if I'm that dissonant even healthy), and Unhealthy/Sad VII (so my chord is a heck of a lot prettier when I'm unhealthy. hmmm.)

Abbie: Happy/Healthy IIm7no3. Unhealthy/Sad: ummm, I don't think there's a name for that chord. it's like a VI with a major third and a diminished fifth. So when you're sad you become incomprehensible and dissonant. Did you know that about yourself? (lol. kidding, obviously.)

jxrtes: Happy/Healthy VII diminished. Unhealthy/Sad: VII.

Redbaron: Happy/Healthy V7no3, Unhealthy/Sad: Vm7 (the minor third is implied).

WL: Happy/Healthy V5, Unhealthy/Sad: Vm5 (again, minor third is implied).

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I went home and played those notes on our synthesizer. I don't know what "IIm7, no third" means, but I can play DAC. I like the way DC sounds...A is a bit nasal.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Abbie: Happy/Healthy IIm7no3. Unhealthy/Sad: ummm, I don't think there's a name for that chord. it's like a VI with a major third and a diminished fifth. So when you're sad you become incomprehensible and dissonant. Did you know that about yourself? (lol. kidding, obviously.
    Yeah, I've noticed how illogical I am when sad.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.