Thread: Ti egos and emotion

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ti egos and emotion

Last edited by Vois; 05-19-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah this LSI I know is the same way.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dual,

Ti leading people such as ISTj/INTj have Ti in their ego, therefore showing emotions isn't their strongest suit...As opposed to Fe ego people (ENFj/ESFj), who are very expressive with their emotions. Fe is actually in our super-Id block, which is deep within our subconscious.

I find that I love to organize events which bring people together, but I find it hard in actually participating and being lively in those events... It's like everyone is laughing and having a good time, but a lot of times it's hard for me to do the same. We do, however, desire to feel emotions.

Sometimes I need some help in getting the conversations going or becoming "alive." Like getting the lawn mower engine started, I need someone to put the fuel in and yank that belt, and I'll get started. This EIE I know will always say something that provokes my emotions to come out (such as making fun of me or making a joke). I like it when they do this.

Look at this...http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=LSI Notice where the Fe is at...The fifth position.
    Last edited by peteronfireee; 07-09-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess we don't feel as much as EIEs would, you would have a much more sophisticated understanding of Fe than us.

But I don't think we feel nothing. That's just ridiculous. The EIEs I know can be incredibly indecisive and fluctuate between feelings for different people, which I can't understand at all (lack of Ti or something??). You will hear them talk passionately about a person one day, the next thing you know, they will talk equally passionately about another person, totally disregarding person A. I wouldn't think you would get that with an LSI quite as much. The one thing I will admit to is that I don't like it when I sense people are getting too close to me for my liking and I will become quite dismissive of them and then feel guilty afterwards for being like that.

Probably to counteract Fi/Fe, being a sensor, with Se in my ego, I would think I have a good read on environments which includes people and I often use the resistance I get from different people to sort of gauge if they like me....like I almost always feel alienated from INFjs and ENFps despite their nice words. I can feel them becoming tense.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vois View Post
    Hey!
    Yep, that is exactly what I do when I spot one of you Ti introverts, I make fun of you. hahah. I've noticed that the ones I meet have a tendancy to pretend that they are indifferent(esp INTjs), but they secretly enjoy the humor. But.. off topic..haha. I noticed that you said "...say something that provokes my emotions to *come out.*" You are an LSI.. so do you ever get the sense that you have NO emotions? That it's not that you are unable to express them, but that they simply aren't there at all? I'm trying to figure out exactly how common this is in LSIs....
    Hmm...That's a good question...

One time I was at this retreat and everyone around me was getting all emotional, crying and such. I was frustrated that I didn't feel what they were feeling...Like a cold robot. This other time my ex-gf was crying on my lap, and I couldn't feel anything despite what she was going through.

But then at other times, I can feel really intense...Like when someone says something that is totally false/stupid, or I see things such as my brother talking back to my parents....

It all really depends. So yeah, there are times where I feel nothing. Maybe there is something there, but it's probably just buried deep. lol

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vois View Post
    thank you, this is what I was looking for. this is exactly what my LSI described, he even used the same robot simile. Don't call yourself a robot though, I'm sure that's not true. Ok, now questions. Do you ever find that... you react in a way that would signify that you're feeling emotion, without actually feeling it? Analogy: like a person who was crying without actually feeling the pain that usually comes along with the action of crying? Do you ever.. try to *pretend* that you're feeling what everyone else is feeling? Or try make it seem like you feel empathy/whatever towards someone, based on what you've seen people do in the past? Ie: your girlfriend is crying, you don't logically understand why, but you pat her head and say things to reassure her ("it will be ok", etc) because you've learned in the past that these kinds of things help calm people? (and now I brace myself for the potential "ummm.. no"s haha)

Definitely. A lot of times, I feel like I have to...

-Fake laugh during movies, because everyone else around me is laughing (even when I feel like it should be funny...but it's not making me laugh)

-I try to show empathy through my actions. I can go through a lot to show I care, even though I may not be able to feel the emotions of the other person.

-When I walk into grocery stores and see those old people greeting me, I always try to give a big 'ol smile and say hi.

-You see that picture of me on my avatar? (I'm on the right), those smiles feel very forced, lol.

Yeah... Sometimes I feel like I'm just "going through the motions" of life and missing the passion/emotion. It sucks sometimes. But it's not like I don't want to feel...I want to.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has always been my understanding that is about emotional expression and recognizing the emotional states of others, not the actual existence of said emotions. types, possessing weak yet valued (Super-Id) , are attracted to people that are proficient in expressing their emotions and recognizing those in others. They desire people that can establish an open environment where it is easy to express themselves and how they feel, something they are not skilled at themselves, resulting in a state of awkwardness. (As Petronfree put it, wanting to connect with how others are feeling, but being unable to do so. Contrast this with Super-Egos, which believe in keeping high emotionalism to a minimum and adopt a more pragmatic view, or Ids, who can adapt to such situations but do not find themselves enriched by them)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Put it this way, do you as an EIE have names and categories for all the different systems and structural classifications you experience on a daily basis? Or do you just care that they work?
    That's a good analogy/explanation. As far as I know, Se and Te both just happen. I have no way of differentiating how they happen or how to make them happen.

Anyway, I generally find that LSIs are somewhat beweildered by their own emotional reactions and don't know how to make themselves feel a certain way. They tend to need help as to what emotional stimulants will make them feel what ways. And sometimes they need the sledgehammer emotionally to make them feel much of anything (I'm sure LSIs feel like IEIs need the Se sledgehammer to make them do much of anything).

In my experience, LSIs genuinely don't know how to get people to feel certain ways, and tend to be somewhat oblivious to the emotional reactions they're provoking in others. I can tell with my LXI dad that when someone's upset with him, he can tell generally that they're upset, but he has to focus on whether they're right or wrong to be upset, because that's what makes sense to him. He takes sort of a teacher-y, explaining tone. I also notice that they tend to be overwhelmed by certain emotions and without someone to sort of handle them emotionally ("emotional aggressor" as it were), they sort of have to wait for the emotional "storm" to pass. I once saw an LSI get in a big argument where he was partially right and partially wrong, but he was mostly just really upset about it. So he kept hammering on trying to prove how he was right, and was just offending people left and right. So his gf (some sort of beta extrovert), stepped in and dealt with the Fe stuff, pacifying people when necessary, explaining "what he meant" (i.e., putting his ideas into more palatable words), etc.

One time I was at this retreat and everyone around me was getting all emotional, crying and such. I was frustrated that I didn't feel what they were feeling...Like a cold robot.
    My LSI friend had the exact same experience. He's very annoyed by what he sees as false emotionality. Probably a reaction to that same situation, not being able to feel/manifest an emotional response.

Anyway, I guess the summary point is that LXIs probably feel a lot but don't know how to act upon those feelings, how to manifest them externally, how to affect their feelings or the feelings of others or especially of a group, etc. They may be feeling something without knowing it, if that makes sense. Like, if they're in a bad mood, that may completely affect their behavior and others' perception of them, but they don't even really notice that they're in a bad mood, they're just reacting to life.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an LSI who didn't realize that there really was such a thing as "feelings" until he was in his twenties. So yeah, the OP sounds entirely plausible.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzy View Post
    Which girl tells him how she feels and what she needs.
    Unlike the others, this question actually seems useful for his case.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Unlike the others, this question actually seems useful for his case.
    I'd love if he ended up marrying one of them as she cost the least in terms of petrol.
    LII?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is interesting. I´ve always fluctuated between feeling no emotions at all at times when I REALLY SHOULD, and feeling very strong emotions when totally unexpected to do so.

I couldn´t cry when my grandparent died, it only happened months later. I just felt numb. Although I was the only one who really talk to him while he was on intensive care and couldn´t talk after the stroke, everyone else was too chicken to spend more than one minute looking at him and crying and I was cold enough to ask him questions and tell him to reply to me blinking one eye, which he did, and I think he was glad for that.

I sometimes am just out of the emotional atmosphere which should be expected. This borders sociopathy. Once I went to a 7th day post-death mass and everyone was crying, and I came by talking to everyone with a smile in my face like it was a party. People from my extended family think I have serious psychological issues. This also happened at a burial ceremony, and worse, I really loved aunt Yara, but I just couldn´t be other than somewhat happy and friendly to people because this is how I think I should be socially always.

I´ve had much trouble with that in relationships, just not feeling anything for the girl. It would just be adrenaline and testosterone. But what I truly search for, which I did feel sometimes, is true love, seems hard for me to feel.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are certain types of passions that ISTjs are very comfortable with and likely to openly show. Their tendency to express themselves with zeal is in a sense a manifestation of passion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both the ENTps I know say they don't understand what love is. It just doesn't make sense to them.
    yeah really. the extent to which logic supplants ethics in ILE is astounding. i prolly would not like to openly admit to what your ILE friends admit to, but having heard it i can say it's true.

couple things come to mind about ILE's: first ILE's don't easily see how people feel unless it's totally obvious through body language, voice tone, or direct speaking on feelings. and sometimes not even then. we have to work very hard at empathy, almost like,

"ok i'm going to put myself in this person's position. ok got that, next...how would i feel? ok got that. now, how might they feel, being who they are and all? ok i think i got that. hmmmmm now what should i say to this person? or shouldn't i say anything? dunno....what if i say the wrong thing. screw it i have to say something....let's try this."

(scroll down)

"hmmmm. well, that didn't go very well did it......"

*tries again to say something comforting. looks around at what everybody else is saying....tries to just add to that. and blend in.*

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ananke View Post
    T-egos can't feel.
    Ethicals can't think.
    Sensors don't have a 6th sense.
    And N-egos can't taste, feel or see.

Everybody knows this.

I agree that people are taking this too far by trying to justify abnormal, unhealthy, extreme behavior.

People, get a grip...everyone feels! Just because someone's way to process information is primarily logical, doesn't mean they don't experience human emotions. They're still human beings! This is ludicrous!

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzy View Post
    Much of what is written here rings true for my son who self types as XSTj.
    Presently he has 4 girls chasing after him and he can't work out which one to date. I ask him simple questions like "which girl do you like the most" or "who do you have feelings for" and he can't answer. His way of choosing between these girls at present seems to be by answering questions such as:
    Which one answers her phone and replies to texts the quickest.
    Who lives the closest and therefore will cost the least in petrol money to drive and visit.
    Which one will be free to do things with on days that he is free.
    Which girl do the members of our family like the most.
    Which girl tells him how she feels and what she needs.
    The bolded part is definitely something I would do.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    The bolded part is definitely something I would do.
    That's just E isn't it?

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    That's just E isn't it?
    I don't know. I just hate it when the person I'm interested doesn't respond to me quickly. I know that most of the time it means nothing when they take a long time, but I also know that sometimes it does mean something, and I have no idea how to distinguish between the two. Answering me quickly gives me peace of mind, though if the person is working or something and can't be texting then I understand.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    yeah really. the extent to which logic supplants ethics in ILE is astounding. i prolly would not like to openly admit to what your ILE friends admit to, but having heard it i can say it's true.

couple things come to mind about ILE's: first ILE's don't easily see how people feel unless it's totally obvious through body language, voice tone, or direct speaking on feelings. and sometimes not even then. we have to work very hard at empathy, almost like,

"ok i'm going to put myself in this person's position. ok got that, next...how would i feel? ok got that. now, how might they feel, being who they are and all? ok i think i got that. hmmmmm now what should i say to this person? or shouldn't i say anything? dunno....what if i say the wrong thing. screw it i have to say something....let's try this."

(scroll down)

"hmmmm. well, that didn't go very well did it......"

*tries again to say something comforting. looks around at what everybody else is saying....tries to just add to that. and blend in.*
    too funny. and adorable.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dj, your sig.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I don't know. I just hate it when the person I'm interested doesn't respond to me quickly. I know that most of the time it means nothing when they take a long time, but I also know that sometimes it does mean something, and I have no idea how to distinguish between the two. Answering me quickly gives me peace of mind, though if the person is working or something and can't be texting then I understand.
    Why not just ask?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One ENTp I know has forced himself to cry to fit in with the atmosphere. I even remember asking him about it.

"So, that one day, when we were having that discussion and everyone started crying, were you *really* crying?"

"haha, no."

I thought it was pretty funny, and impressive. He was fairly convincing.
    exactly! and this is where ILE can get a reputation for cutting corners, being manipulative or deceitful. we're not really trying to be, more trying to compensate for our Fi polr.

LSI's and to a lesser extent LII's are almost totally in their logical minds. i've seen them light up around Fe leading though. it's like they just open up and relax. how people feel is important to them...they just can't get into that space without help. if they are on their own though, they will typically make the logical decision with no compunction.

SLE's have to be managed carefully. they are inherently distrustful of nearly everyone. even those who have proven themselves to SLE are not totally trusted. eh it's kind of hard to speak on how SEI or IEI does it. i think they pay a lot of attention to SLE to see how the SLE is feeling, kind of the same with ILE, and help SLE/ILE to identify their own feelings first. also SEI/IEI says things in strong emotional ways and it gets the attention of SLE and ILE and makes them do something.

like the other day infpman says to me about my car, after seeing that the brakes were bad and planning what was needed so he could fix them, "DON'T DRIVE FAST TODAY. BE CAREFUL." then he says, "i love you" and walks away. but he says it in this way that conveys a lot of emotion. it made my body react, you get like this stirring in your chest that wakes you up, so i listened better, and did as he said. but yeah it's like you have emotional receptors that can only be activated by certain kind of people. they can be turned on only by those with Fe in the ego block.

with ESE and EIE, i feel like they create a fun emotional atmosphere. they can't make me do things as well, but they are fun fun fun.

ILE

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinocchio, I believe you fail at love. You'll have to take a remedial course.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    When I'm told by my gf that she loves me I say either "ok" or that I think I love her too
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I will then learn how to love and I'll do it correctly.
    sounds like you're doing just fine as long as you stick with SEI/IEI who can deal with Fi polr. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I experience Ti as a kind of channeled anger. Ti doesn't react to events emotionally, but it takes the emotion and unleashes it at a different time and place. Most of the time, the anger gets spread out over a huge lot of fruitful pursuits and everybody around the Ti type thinks the person is unemotional. Its never really the case.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I experience Ti as a kind of channeled anger. Ti doesn't react to events emotionally, but it takes the emotion and unleashes it at a different time and place. Most of the time, the anger gets spread out over a huge lot of fruitful pursuits and everybody around the Ti type thinks the person is unemotional. Its never really the case.
    really? could you give an example?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

splain anger-Ti connection. how's that. not that i disagree for LII, but could you explain this.

ILE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice avatar, Blaze.
    thanks bro

ILE

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    really? could you give an example?
    I second this request. Everyone please sign the 'Labcoat give an example' petition that is going around. If you don't, we will continue to pester you about it many more times so you might as well just sign the stupid thing the first time and not have to deal with it anymore. Thank you for your time. Oh...and have a wonderful day. *laughs maniacally*.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My trouble with lack of emotions has generally come in the form of people asking me if I felt something or other - mostly, if I felt that I needed or wanted something. While I do have emotions sometimes, the answer to such a question is almost always "no." Then I don't get it... and I did want it, just in a logical "I made a decision" sort of way, not an "I feel a desire for this" sort of way. This may also be related to PoLR.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Alpha NT 5w4 so/sx
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly enneagram related (1 fixation)?
    OPERATION POOPLAIR

Now conscripting, for more information come here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...48#post1003048