Thread: Serotonin's relation to socionics, psychology, drugs, etc.

Creepy-male

Default Serotonin's relation to socionics, psychology, drugs, etc.

What does it do, how does it relate to socionics, psychology, drugs, chemistry....

etc

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Good question.

Serotonin is just one of the very very many chemicals produced in the brain and that we have actually identified. The role that it actually plays in depression is very poorly understood because if it's just one of the chemicals found in the brain that we know about, we can not correctly state that it is a contributing factor in various mood shifts. We don't know and don't understand what the other chemicals are doing and how they play in mood.

Personally speaking, when I was very deeply depressed, during a time when my dad was having a quad bipass surgery and was cut neck to toe, I found that the effects, for me, of taking Zoloft helped me a lot. Zoloft is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, meaning any addition serotonin in the synapsis -the area between two brain nerve cells, is not taken up by the receptors, increasing concentration of serotonin in the synaps. For me, the side effects were not huge, just some nausia and upset stomach, but the results were happiness and elation.

Are you thinking about taking it?
    DON'T
    Social therapy works better.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 07-01-2010 at 03:41 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes you happy. MDMA releases so much of it as to feel like a 6 hour orgasm.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

What are you trying to say?
    That the types who are more likely to take risk might have lower level or serotonin?

Human brain doesn't work that way. Throughout history we have seen huge risk takers get or make rewards at the risk of other costs, so it's relative.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Creepy-male

No I'm just putting some info out there on serotonin, I find it fascinating.

You're being defensive because you've taken re-uptake inhibitors and feel this video classifies you as being innately lower on the social pyramid. Which I wouldn't be so neurotic about, its just a study and rather primative in scope.

I think once people are better able to understand neuroscience and psychology, that we will actually be able to strategically use medications to help people.

I don't think the way people medicate others currently for problems is done intelligently enough.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    No I'm just putting some info out there on serotonin, I find it fascinating.

You're being defensive because you've taken re-uptake inhibitors and feel this video classifies you as being innately lower on the social pyramid. Which I wouldn't be so neurotic about, its just a study and rather primative in scope.

I think once people are better able to understand neuroscience and psychology, that we will actually be able to strategically use medications to help people.

I don't think the way people medicate others currently for problems is done intelligently enough.

I am risk adverse; I call it incremental growth/measured steps.

Which is more developed Fe/Fi or Te/Ti? Evolution has no use for emotions or intuition. So yes you were right in your prediction that I feel primitive, by my own "capabilities".
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 07-01-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    -

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Which is more developed Fe/Fi or Te/Ti? Evolution has no use for emotions or intuition. So yes you were right in your prediction that I feel primitive, by my own "capabilities". "

False. And you are still showing your insecurity on the matter.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember this video actually being posted before...maybe if not here then another forum.
    it is true you risk certain side effects very potentially dangerous on ssri's or any antidepressant. talk therapy is probably as or more effective for some people.
    if you were experimentally trying to increase serotonin for dominance/confidence or whatever reason it increases status, st johns wort might be as effective. Diet change and exercise would probably alter status too. Prozac would be my rx of choice, I don't know of another one with such result status for the monkeys and safety. The mechanism might not be dependent on serotonin either, correlation only etc.

Prozac does have some radical effects on people and changes their personality, making them more adaptable etc and leads to improved status in many that it works for...studies on that could be done. It grows brain cells too.

"monkeys with low serontonin....dont wait" so they have low ni???? hah

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember the instant I took morphine (I had been hospitalized after a non-serious cycling injury that looked more serous than it actually was) as the best moment of my life. I've never felt so elated before or after. Do opiods act on serotonin receptors, or is the mechanism actually different?
    Last edited by FDG; 07-03-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    NotINotNNotFNotj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I remember the instant I took morphine (I had been hospitalized after a non-serious cycling injury that looked more serous than it actually) as the best moment of my life. I've never felt so elated before or after. Do opiods act on serotonin receptors, or is the mechanism actually different?
    Opioids are completely different, they bind to their own unique types of receptors.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try pushing on the pain nerve in the cranial ridge above your eye for about 5 minutes on and off....if you have a headache you can sometimes get it to go away by applying pressure to this...and when I do this with enough pressure and time I literally get a squirt of painkillers in my head.
    How to Get Rid of a Headache - wikiHow
    "Feel the top ridge of your eye socket under the eyebrow. You will discover a small groove in your skull about the center of the top of the eye socket. In this groove is a nerve which is very sensitive to pressure. If you compress this nerve, it will be very painful. However, the pain will stimulate the pituitary to release endorphins immediately. The endorphins are the body's own natural painkillers and are more powerful than morphine. To stimulate the nerve, push hard against it for about 10 seconds. This may not work. If it becomes too painful, stop immediately." You can build up your pain tolerance to this, like warming up a muscle, to get that rush.